• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 Pro Proves AI Upscaling Is the Future

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did they bring someone in off the street that has no idea about any of this stuff write this article?
They use AI now,
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It will start soon as the other camp will be using a different solution
That other camp doesn’t have a good record of sticking to things for long. Only way I can see it becoming big is if they bake it into direct x but that would require hardware to have the parts to support it. Maybe they can leverage it off existing hardware or just as pure software which would hurt cpu usage.

Exciting time ahead

Mr Moose

That other camp doesn’t have a good record of sticking to things for long. Only way I can see it becoming big is if they bake it into direct x but that would require hardware to have the parts to support it. Maybe they can leverage it off existing hardware or just as pure software which would hurt cpu usage.

Exciting time ahead

MrMephistoX

Between AI up scaling and things like Tencent’s Open World AI generator I’m kind of sort of optimistic? Tools like Roblox and Dreams but at a much larger scale could make game dev cheaper and allow artists to focus on the gameplay and art instead of pouring so many resources into rendering the world and its little details like barrels and boxes and trees? We all know AAA games are becoming cost prohibitively expensive this could help?

Between AI up scaling and things like Tencent’s Open World AI generator I’m kind of sort of optimistic? Tools like Roblox and Dreams but at a much larger scale could make game dev cheaper and allow artists to focus on the gameplay and art instead of pouring so many resources into rendering the world and its little details like barrels and boxes and trees? We all know AAA games are becoming cost prohibitively expensive this could help?

This is indeed the future. Hopefully it arrives before half the industry explodes.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I love how you went from contempting the source here:

>Been going on on PC for 4-5 years
>The PS5 Pro which has yet to be released proves AI upscaling is the future
Yeah, sounds like an IGN article, alright

To:

Simply because the info suddenly aligned with your bias 🤣🤣

OT: PS5PRO can be RDNA0.5 for all I care, what matters is delivering one hell of performance which is exactly what Sony has delivered whether you like it or not. And all people in the know are impressed.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

To:

OT: PS5PRO can be RDNA0.5 for all I care, what matters is delivering one hell of performance which what has been delivered by Sony. And all people in the know are impressed.
I'm impressed by the sheer idiocy of your post too. I'm saying the Pro is NOT RDNA2 lol, furthering highlighting their ignorance, but I guess this is too complicated to understand for a little warrior such as yourself.

llien

DLSS has proven this a long time ago....
Am I the only human on this planet who remembers that DLSS has proved... exactly the opposite?

"he company has likely been gathering training data for the entire generation, as it controls the PS5 platform..." lol, are we back at it again? :D

I'm sorry to burst your bubbles folks, but:

1) Actual AI upscaling, the DLSS 1.0 has failed miserably
2) What you get now is a glorified TAA

Also, someone who has actually tried to do some sh*t with AI at work speaking.

Senua

Gold Member
AnoyOxC.gif

To:

OT: PS5PRO can be RDNA0.5 for all I care, what matters is delivering one hell of performance which is exactly what Sony has delivered whether you like it or not. And all people in the know are impressed.
Laugh At Ha Ha GIF by MOODMAN

MarkyG

Upscaling in games in great. The technology that drives it is clever. My only fear is that developers will use it as a crutch and an excuse to not optimise their games.

I know PC gamers don't like to hear it, but bespoke tech available to only one of the 3x PC desktop GPU IHVs might be the pioneer of a technology, but they don't prove it's the future until the consoles adopt it to make it mainstream.

After all, most game sales continue to be on console and therefore consoles continue to be the primary market for AAA game devs.

JimboJones

I know PC gamers don't like to hear it, but bespoke tech available to only one of the 3x PC desktop GPU IHVs might be the pioneer of a technology, but they don't prove it's the future until the consoles adopt it to make it mainstream.

After all, most game sales continue to be on console and therefore consoles continue to be the primary market for AAA game devs.
Is it really mainstream if the Pro sells about 20million?, sounds like it's gonna take Nintendo to make it mainstream with the next Switch.

Gaiff

I know PC gamers don't like to hear it, but bespoke tech available to only one of the 3x PC desktop GPU IHVs might be the pioneer of a technology,
So much wrong with that post. NVIDIA represents 88% of the discrete GPU market share. That's a lot more than "only one out of 3".
but they don't prove it's the future until the consoles adopt it to make it mainstream.
Yeah, no. The PS5 Pro will sell what, 13-17M units? That's already nowhere near the number of DLSS-capable GPUs which are well in excess of 50M (probably a lot more). There are over 600 games supporting DLSS and pretty much every major AAA title comes out with DLSS support.
Cute, but I can guarantee you most sales won't be on the Pro and I can also guarantee you that virtually every multiplatform title will sell more on PC than on the PS5 Pro. We know you don't like DLSS based on the utterly ridiculous comment you made the other day that it was "trivial to best it", but now this is pure buffoonery. 600+ games and tens of millions of users isn't mainstream lmao? An unreleased console that is projected to sell fewer than 20M units will suddenly make it mainstream? You're acting as if the PS5 also gets PSSR. It doesn't. The $700 console that will represent 15-25% of all units sold from now on will. Hilariously enough on PC, every GPU since the RTX 2060 has supported DLSS. This is one of those cases where a cheapass PC has something only the $700 Pro console that is coming out 4 years into the generation has. The Switch doesn't support PSSR, neither do the Xbox consoles, nor the PS5. The Pro will make up less than 10% of the number of consoles sold. "Mainstream", my ass.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Didn’t stop the majority of AAA games from having DLSS, so you’re completely wrong. AI upscaling has been mainstream for years. The Pro won't suddenly make it mainstream. Go down the list of AAA or AA games released over the past 4 years and find those without DLSS support. They're rare.

Plus, there are and will be far more DLSS-capable PCs than PS5 Pros.
But didn't Nvidia have to pay for DLSS and the quality did vary.

Also,there was that episode where someone people were butthurt that AMD may have temporarily halted DLSS from being implemented in I think Baulders Gate 3.

Gaiff

IIRC,it was those sponsored games until DLSS because a viable options.
They don't pay anyone for DLSS. Developers are free to use it. What you are thinking about are NVIDIA-sponsored titles where NVIDIA will assist the developers with their engineers to help implement NVIDIA technologies such as RTX, Reflex, and enhanced DLSS support. There likely is an exchange of money from NIVIDA to the developer as the developer slaps big NVIDIA logos on their splash screens, effectively advertising the GPUs. AMD does the same thing.

There are over 600 games with DLSS support and tens of millions of users with DLSS-capable GPUs. Safe to say, it has been mainstream for a long time and the Pro will not reach those numbers.

Top Bottom