• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher - The man. The legend. The maniac. Here's your primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap, Steve Dillon actually has a lot of talent when he tries:

http://stevedillonart.tumblr.com/

The Scarlet Witch stuff is quite good. Like, I'm used to him on Punisher. I don't mind him, he did great work in PunisherMAX, but because he's so prevalent, I like seeing other artists. But if he's changing up the style a bit, I'm game.

Man Jason Aaron's MAX Electra is the worst version of that character

I disagree cause

tumblr_nit7pjAgUK1smft6ko1_400.png

Rooster12

He has all the Avengers gadgets

2649da578a1f6357f5ccc94e27844eb0.jpg

Here's a challenge for you Punisher fans out there

What are your top 5 non-MAX (non-Ennis) Punisher stories?

Mine so far would be:

1. Franken-Castle + The List
2. Jigsaw Puzzle
3. Circle of Blood
4. Final Days
5. Living in Darkness

Edit: Death Below Zero, one of my favorite Punisher stories, can't believe I forgot this one.

Loxley

Thanks for this OP - Punisher is a character I've never really delved into. I've heard in the past that the Ennis stuff is the perfect place to start, and I think now is a good point to do so with S2 of Daredevil on the horizon.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Barracuda is low down there, definitely, but Long Cold Dark was fucking amazing. That storyline justifies Barracuda's existence.

Which arguably is why he might be worthy of being a main villain in a Punisher series. Not that he is the most iconic, or even bad ass Punisher villains. However, due to Ennis he has a pretty damn good back story and the limited series also fleshed out his character. Of all of Punishers villains they could use the most source material in the series to make him a compelling antagonist for 12 episodes.

On top of that his final fight with Punisher was brutal, way more brutal that jigsaws run in with punisher outside his origin

The only character who would be a better fit is if they decided to bring back Kingpin. The goat series would be if the pitter Punisher against Kingpin and Barricuda playing them against each other which is perfectly in line with what the character would do.

He has all the Avengers gadgets

2649da578a1f6357f5ccc94e27844eb0.jpg

Here's a challenge for you Punisher fans out there

What are your top 5 non-MAX (non-Ennis) Punisher stories?

Mine so far would be:

1. Franken-Castle + The List
2. Jigsaw Puzzle
3. Circle of Blood
4. Final Days
5. Living in Darkness

Year One
Circle of Blood
Suicide Run
Frankencastle
Rucka's run (incl. War Zone finale. It's all one long story IMO)

Fury451

Banned
Big Boss Punisher is literally the best.

Punished Punisher.

Great OP. I pretty much agree with all of your commentary on the various runs, especially the most recent. Such an interesting concept, such a bungled, mishandled execution. I actually didn't know a new run was starting soon, I look forward to it, even though I think Punisher is a character that is entirely hit or miss based on the writer. The ones that get him really get him, the ones that don't really make for a boring books.

Another note: the Vietnam origin for Frank holds true for the 90s stuff and all of Ennis' work (especially MAX because the timeline reflects the real world, so Frank is over sixty by the end of the series).

Modern depictions of Frank either make him an Iraq/Middle East vet or make him a black ops soldier.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I love ALL of it. It's just that run is a little tastier than the rest of it.

It's like baking a perfect pan of brownies. Murder brownies. The run I mentioned are the corner pieces. But I'll eat the whole goddamn pan no problem and smile through all the chocolate.

The chewable, delicious MURDER CHOCOLATE.

aces.gif

I have faves too, that story is particularly appreciated because 1) the aforementioned intro and 2) Microchip's interrogation, where he tries his best to coerce Frank with much eloquence and Frank just looks at him completely unconvinced like he's gonna stab a biro in his ear the first nanosecond he gets the chance

and then there's Nick Cavella

Cth

I know fans hated it because it brought an end to Rucka's Punisher, but I actually liked Charles Soule's take on him when he had him on the Thunderbolts team (Elektra, Red Hulk, Deadpool, Red Leader, Mercy, Venom, Ghost Rider)..

It felt like a non-mutant Uncanny X-Force to me.

The high concept:
Thunderbolt Ross (now able to turn into a Hulk and retain his strategic intellect) assembles a strike team of anti heroes. They take turns suggesting targets/missions. Ross blackmails the Leader into helping the team, but Frank isn't having any of that. The first issue ends with him shooting the Leader in the head.

When it's Frank's turn, naturally he suggests taking on the mob. Eventually, he and Elektra start hooking up which upsets Deadpool. Eventually, Frank tries to leave the team when they try to use bad guys to gain an edge, end ends up trying to take down the whole team as a result.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
When did anyone start calling the first miniseries Circle of Blood?

Cth

Other fun versions:

Punfisher_Marvel_Tales_2_212.jpg

The Punfisher

ztcVqDa.jpg

Iron Punisher

lgSNsMw.jpg

Hulkbuster Punisher

Secret_Wars_Battleworld_Preview_2.jpg

Dr. Strange posssessing the Punisher

W17oqnY.jpg

Egyptian Punisher

pm6DCmK.jpg

Pilgrim Punisher

wdm4nDv.jpg

1872 Punisher

detail.jpg

Samurai Punisher

Shadybiz

Excellent thread! I have quite a lot of the Punisher books; I think close to a "longbox" full. I really do have to go through them one day to see what exactly I DO have...probably wouldn't take all that much to fill in any (important) gaps.

Cth

It's a decent stand alone Punisher story.. an imaginary ending for the character for anyone curious.

I was mostly interested for Corben's art.

Also, tossed it on the pile for another elderly Punisher version.

My first experience with Punisher was in the 94 Spidey series. Where of course he killed nobody because nobody died or even fired or even HELD a gun in that series. Not much of a Punishment.

Now, I'm gonna be straight with you: In my opinion, Punisher MAX is the best comic book crime saga I have ever read. It is dark. It is violent. It is brutal and unflinching and it is a depiction of the worst that humanity has to offer. It is completely disconnected from the Marvel Universe. It's basically Frank operating in "the real world". He faces off against mobsters, rapists, serial killers, war criminals, and you see all of this horrific stuff. Frank himself is a total war junkie who won't let his war ever end. His targets are the stuff of nightmares. It is a very bleak comic series. It is also some of the best comic book stories I've ever read. These stories involve war, the ramifications of the cold war, geopolitics, the nature of crime in urban centers, etc. Much more adult in theme.

Sounds like this character and his world is completely not for me.

... but I am kinda interested in reading that Greg Rucka one because he looks handsome there.

Sounds like this character and his world is completely not for me.

... but I am kinda interested in reading that Greg Rucka one because he looks handsome there.

You should read Rucka's run in that case. MAX isn't for everyone, that is for sure. But Greg Rucka crafts a great, bittersweet tale. Great characters, art, and a very compelling storyline. This version of Frank isn't steeped in hate and misery like the MAX version, and it is wholly set in the regular Marvel Universe (there's guest appearances by Daredevil, Spider-Man, and some Avengers near the end of it once Frank has fucked up enough shit to get their attention).

I would say that Greg Rucka's story is equal to the MAX stuff, but in a very different way. MAX is "real world". Rucka is "Marvel World".

latest

I really like this one, sure the villain is dope but the interactions between Frank and the Rivendale residents is great, plus it has a really nice ending.

You should read Rucka's run in that case. MAX isn't for everyone, that is for sure. But Greg Rucka crafts a great, bittersweet tale. Great characters, art, and a very compelling storyline. This version of Frank isn't steeped in hate and misery like the MAX version, and it is wholly set in the regular Marvel Universe (there's guest appearances by Daredevil, Spider-Man, and some Avengers near the end of it once Frank has fucked up enough shit to get their attention).

I would say that Greg Rucka's story is equal to the MAX stuff, but in a very different way. MAX is "real world". Rucka is "Marvel World".

Alright! I have been thinking of starting to read some superhero comics. Might as well start here.

And sorry to go off topic a bit: is there a subscription service similar to Netflix for comic books? I Googled a bit and only found digital stores that sell them for $3 per issue (which is sadly much too expensive for binge-reading) or some sketchy free online reading sites.

EDIT:
Aa nevermind. I found The Comic Book Start Up Guide thread.

Bebpo

Banned
What's the cheapest way to read the MAX 2005-era run? I've been catching up on Marvel through unlimited and they don't care any of the MAX stuff.

Amazon has vol.1 of a complete MAX collection that includes Born and Issues #1-12, and then a vol.2 coming out in April with Issues #13-30. Are they planning on releasing another 2 volumes after to get to issue #60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom