• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher - The man. The legend. The maniac. Here's your primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
Ennis Punisher is so good but probably mostly just because it's Ennis. Still, dream scenario is a Netflix Punisher series adapting those Max arcs.

The Slavers or BUST

olZnrgl.jpg

Because Jessica Jones wasn't depressing enough.

The MAX run by Ennis was such a great series. I got back into comics right before it started. I stopped just after it ended. Born is probably my favorite Punisher story. It's such a dark and ugly horror show of a story. Ennis peeled back the layers of Frank Castle, revealing he's always been The Punisher. It was something dark, ugly and violent growing inside him. His family dying was simply an excuse for him to let it out and play.

IrishNinja

damn, that's how you do an OP...i really do gotta get that TPB with Cell & The End, some of Ennis' finest work

gonna read up more on frakencastle too, ive a buddy who swears by that arc

oh! forgot...this is hands-down my favorite What If? issue ever

I was wondering why slay didn't make this thread, then I remember that Slay hates the Punisher and thinks he's boring.
I also think he's boring
That's for comedic effect, but I also just think he's boring. Rucka and Remender's runs interest me, though that's mostly because I like both writers and Remender's looks absolutely fucking bonkers.
Oh yeah, here's some preliminary art for Cloonan's series. I do like how Steve Dillon has somewhat... tried? Like, it's still classic Dillon, but people's faces look different now!
Dillon and his art...lawd in heaven it's like Quietly...it's good until you get to the faces. Sadly, there's a lot of faces.
That's way more amazing then I thought it would be.

Scirrocco

A lot of punisher fans here, maybe some one knows. It's been bothering me since I read it. After the war zone mini where he rescues Rachel Cole aloes from her trial, he winds up in an underwater prison built by iron man that's inescapable. Did they ever bother explaining how he got out, or was the explanation just 'cause comics'?

A lot of punisher fans here, maybe some one knows. It's been bothering me since I read it. After the war zone mini where he rescues Rachel Cole aloes from her trial, he winds up in an underwater prison built by iron man that's inescapable. Did they ever bother explaining how he got out, or was the explanation just 'cause comics'?

They never explain it.

Either he:

1) figured out a way to escape on his own. Possible.

2) was released and then in the wind. Less possible.

3) Got out during that weird team-up series where he banged Elektra a lot. So Thunderbolt Ross had him released and forced him to join the team.

4) Just cause comics

I prefer the first one. He escaped.

The Archie meets the Punisher crossover is so damn good. Somehow manages to maintain the integrity of both characters while being funny as hell. Basically, Frank and Microchip end up in Riverdale hunting the bounty of this crime lord who HAPPENS to look like Archie Andrews, and the doppleganger shiz hits the fan by the end of the book.

archiepunisher4.jpg

Man, there was one period where the Punisher was just in a crapload of cross-company crossovers. He got to punch BOTH Azbats AND Bruce Wayne!

911358-batman__punisher___lake_of_fire___42.jpg

8407eddfeacb19a0d74d3ac6f52f1290.jpg

Then there's that time he was in a comic with Eminem.

latest

The boy Frank Castle puts in work, that's all I'm sayin

Chinner

Banned
Good OP, and I didn't realise there's a new run out soon.

I can only hope it's better than the last one, which I couldn't even finish.

Dalek

Great thread.

Punisher MAX is an experience. I remember saying once I was about to start it and Evilore posted something like it was his favorite comic-that entire run blew me away. I've never read anything like it.

The way the world is fucked up-all these dark corners that the real life monsters Ennis portrays like to hide in and escape any repercussions-you wish there was a Frank Castle sometimes.

VAD

I read and loved all of Ennis's run on marvel unlimited and you're telling me there is more that's not available on the app?

Sadist

One of my favourite moments during Secret Wars #1

Hey bro's world is ending, lets drink and laugh at the heroes on tv.

gaish-tumblr-com.png

Thanks, that was very informative stuff. My knowledge of the character is very limited. I've seen both the movies though, absolutely despised the first one, while Warzone was good, schlocky fun. Eager to see how Shane from TWD pulls off the character.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
this looks ike a thread matt from two best friends/super best friends would make, but he's permabanned so...lol

Cth

Another fun entry from Punisher vs Marvel Universe.

The premise is a virus has turned heroes and villains alike into cannibalistic psychos.. Frank is unaffected and is out to stop everyone.

In this panel, he tries taking on the Hulk by firing one of Wolverine's claws arrow style into his eye to hit his brain.

I can't remember if it works, but I think it just made the Hulk even angrier.

detail.jpg

And bonus, you can't forget this Punisher toy:

punisher-agun.jpg

Icefire1424

I really, really want to read through the MAX run, but damn if it isn't hard to actually find all the books. First three volumes are generally available on Amazon, but everything after that is perpetually "Temporarily out of Stock". Only have the first volume now, but will pick up the next couple and hope the others show up some day.

Mudcrab

I also think he's boring

That's for comedic effect, but I also just think he's boring. Rucka and Remender's runs interest me, though that's mostly because I like both writers and Remender's looks absolutely fucking bonkers.

I have a hard time imagining a comics fan reading Ennis' MAX run and coming away with the feeling that Frank is boring. The character study on Frank Castle from Born to My War Gone By is just superb.

MAX series was great. And I like how he resembled Clint Eastwood in that interrogation scene.

Beginning2.jpg

The-Punisher-v5-06-In-the-Beginning-06-16.jpg

And Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe, obviously.

23.jpg

25-26.jpg

27.jpg

Great op, ntgyk. Do feel that you should've added Fury: My War Gone By to the op, tho, given how tied at the hip it is to Punisher Max, and how effective it is at answering the very simple question of "What would happen to Frank if he could lie to himself about what he does?"

Plus it's, like, the best thing Ennis ever wrote.

rbenchley

Fuck the Punisher. Dull character and the concept was executed much better by DC with the 80s version of the Vigilante. I was glad to see the panel with Deadpool calling out Frank as a Charles Bronson/Death Wish rip-off above, but here's the Punisher's finest moment: getting his ass kicked by a 12 year old girl.

tumblr_m9gt2cPffg1rdd1ido1_1280.jpg

I don't know much about the Punisher, but Warzone is an awesome movie.

Yes it is. And I know this comic book stuff ain't your thing but you really should read the punisher max series. It's fantastic.

Nothing like the corny stuff you see posted in these comic threads in OT

shingi70

Banned
One of my favourite moments during Secret Wars #1

Hey bro's world is ending, lets drink and laugh at the heroes on tv.

gaish-tumblr-com.png

Never got why this was supposed to be an awesome moment. In theory its cool, but Sandman would kill Punisher pretty quickly.

Mudcrab

Never got why this was supposed to be an awesome moment. In theory its cool, but Sandman would kill Punisher pretty quickly.

Because it's less about asking who would win a fight and more about asking what else would the Punisher be doing at the end of the world?

graffix13

Glad to see the OP liked Frankencastle. I loved it.

Punisher:The List is one of the best single issues I have read. Epic fight with Daken.

I mentioned this in some superhero dream movie thread, but if you want a recipe for a great Punisher movie:

You get Dennis Villeneuve to direct, and Joaquin Phoenix to star.

Joaquin-Phoenix-as-Lex-Luthor.jpg

Doin some Sicario style hits would be a killer combo. Dennis would bring the style and tension, and Phoenix could easily bring some depth and pathos to the role along with being menacing as fuck.

Wow I never thought of that. That film would get really dark

Would never ever happen under marvels watch tho

Plus phoenix has that brow that shadows over his eyes. Could get some cool ass shots of him as the punisher for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom