• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Reality: DLC is the new Sequel

Seeing Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores and Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty with a few other games getting major DLC kind of proves this is the future we live in with AAA games. Development between major games takes so long so you don’t really get the typical trilogy anymore like we did in yester year. We got 3 GTA games during the ps2 generation, we got final fantasy 7, 8, 9, and 10 in 4 years, etc.

Now the usual follow up that we would get a year from release isn’t a direct sequel its a 8-15 hour dlc, which is relatively the same thing as the sequels we used to get. Sequels were never major gameplay overhauls back then, and i feel like that same philosophy applies to dlc or stand alone expansions. Cyberpunk won’t get another game until next gen just like witcher 3 didn’t, but we got two massive DLC’s for the latter which could have been their own games.

Phantom Liberty will be the true cyberpunk sequel.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Feels like there could make a ton of DLCs to the cyberpunk, because the version which we got was cut down from what we saw.

For free obviously. I am guessing that Phantom Liberty is payed.

SScorpio

Seeing Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores and Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty with a few other games getting major DLC kind of proves this is the future we live in with AAA games. Development between major games takes so long so you don’t really get the typical trilogy anymore like we did in yester year. We got 3 GTA games during the ps2 generation, we got final fantasy 7, 8, 9, and 10 in 4 years, etc.

Now the usual follow up that we would get a year from release isn’t a direct sequel its a 8-15 hour dlc, which is relatively the same thing as the sequels we used to get. Sequels were never major gameplay overhauls back then, and i feel like that same philosophy applies to dlc or stand alone expansions. Cyberpunk won’t get another game until next gen just like witcher 3 didn’t, but we got two massive DLC’s for the latter which could have been their own games.

We had this same thing happening 25 years ago. They were just called expansion packs and sold in stores.

With the rise of DLC, they can sell them directly and not need to gauge how successful they will be.

The big issue is just how long games are taking to make. You don't have a team of less than ten people pumping out a game in nine months. Now you have hundreds of people working 3-5 years to put something out. You can't easily get yearly releases unless you have 2-3 teams rotating on their releases.

Imtjnotu

Not DLC on the level we’re getting these days. I feel like Rockstar were the only ones putting in major effort into DLC expansions during the ps3 era
PS4 era had Horizon frozen wilds. The last of us DLC. Red dead had the zombies

bethesda loves DLC. and so many more. DLC isnt anything new and it isnt replacing any games

JaksGhost

Not DLC on the level we’re getting these days. I feel like Rockstar were the only ones putting in major effort into DLC expansions during the ps3 era
"These days" as if this hasn't been happening for over a decade now. We can look at Naughty Dog releasing the Left Behind DLC over 8 years ago on PS3 as this not being a recent practice.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
When Spiderman 2 comes out I am going to smugly say "this isn't the true sequel, the true sequel is the DLC". Everyone in gamestop will clap.

Maitre_Piccolo

Neo Member
I kinda agree. Not all DLC are the equivalent of old sequels obviously, but these kind of DLC are very similar to old school sequels. But not only sequels though, original games too.

For example, I just replayed the original God of War 1 & 2, they are not very long (around 9 hours and 12 hours respectively) and are way more tight that I remembered. Content wise and structure wise, they seem closer to big current gen solo extension (elite ones) than to big current gen games.

But all current games are not that big though : a lot of current games are still pretty close to old school big games. So all in all, the key dynamic is that the biggest games of the industry have become bigger. It's like there is a new class that wasn't there before. An extension of one such "new big game" is the equivalent of one old big game or one old big sequel.

But I'd say it's only partly true and depends on the genra. Taking the example of Final Fantasy, old FF games felt bigger than the new ones, or at least they didn't feel smaller.

Flabagast

I mean, even sequels look straight up like DLC nowadays (I am thinking about the disappointing GoW Ragnarok) so I prefer devs to be honest about it and not charge me 70$ for it.

MiguelItUp

Ever since "Expansion Packs" became "DLC" the overall amount of content became more varied. Some devs delivered good DLC, some kind of phoned it in. I don't think that has changed. It just depends on the project, the budget, the publisher, and the developer. But expansion packs and DLC has always existed to breathe more life and content into an already existing game. So, when games are successful, or projected to be successful (and with huge budgets), I'd imagine we'd certainly see DLC pop more often. Especially before a sequel.

Considering all CP2077 has been through, I'm sure an actual sequel is coming down the pipeline.

I kinda agree. Not all DLC are the equivalent of old sequels obviously, but these kind of DLC are very similar to old school sequels. But not only sequels though, original games too.

For example, I just replayed the original God of War 1 & 2, they are not very long (around 9 hours and 12 hours respectively) and are way more tight that I remembered. Content wise and structure wise, they seem closer to big current gen solo extension (elite ones) than to big current gen games.

But all current games are not that big though : a lot of current games are still pretty close to old school big games. So all in all, the key dynamic is that the biggest games of the industry have become bigger. It's like there is a new class that wasn't there before. An extension of one such "new big game" is the equivalent of one old big game or one old big sequel.

But I'd say it's only partly true and depends on the genra. Taking the example of Final Fantasy, old FF games felt bigger than the new ones, or at least they didn't feel smaller.

I replayed teh entire trilogy of god of war and it took me less time to finish than ragnarok with the platinum

Witcher 3? Dark Souls? Skyrim? Far Cry 3? Lots of games have done this.

When i say these days i mean the past console gen, which is why I mentioned witcher 3 in the OP. This past gen is when dev times became way more bloated than usual.

Ps3 generation also had 3 uncharted games and TLOU

Last edited:

Lol did you forget horizon forbidden west is a sequel?

Top Bottom