• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

Blablurn

10ek2s3.jpg

This thread is dedicated to the one and only king of football/soccer games! Feel free to post and have a good time!

Release Dates

• Europe: 16.10.2008
  • United States of America: 11.11.2008
  • Japan: 11.11.2008
  • Wii Version: TBA

ratekx.jpg

Plattforms:

• Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PC DVD, Playstation 2, Playstation Portable, Nintendo DS

zpe89.jpg

Key Features:

• Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd has announced that its PES 2009 title will feature the UEFA Champions League following the conclusion of an exclusive 4 year licence with UEFA.
  • The UEFA Champions League deal will allow Konami to use all elements and attributes of the competition to create an exclusive UEFA Champions League mode within the PES game. The licence confirms Konami’s commitment to extending the series’ reputation as the definitive and most realistic football series available.
  • ‘PES Unites’ is the key phrase Konami is using to sum up the ethos of the new game. PES 2009 also improves on its many existing game modes and adds a number of new ways to play the game. Central to this is the new ‘Become a Legend’ solo mode, which casts the user as a midfielder or striker within a match. Using a default vertical camera view, the player starts as a rookie pro at the start of their career, and charts the many highs and lows of becoming a professional player. An extension of the popular ‘Fix’ mode, the ‘Become a Legend’ mode sees the player operate in their favoured attacking position, and work as part of the overall team as opposed to controlling every member as in a normal game.
  • PES 2009 also boasts an online variant of the ‘Become a Legend’ mode, entitled simply ‘Legends.’ Players can use their saved player in online matches with like-minded friends, and can show their skills on the larger online stage.
  • PES 2009 offers an unprecedented level of control, redefining the intricacies of first touch, close control and ball distribution, while also enhancing its shooting and AI mechanisms to create an all-round footballing experience. Konami’s Tokyo-based Pro Evolution Soccer Production Team has introduced new control systems wherein the player can now perform tricks and feints without the use of special moves, but within the context of the player’s run and via rapid turns and movements of the Dpad or analogue stick.
  • Different weather conditions will now have a more pronounced effect on the weight and movement of passes, with players having to compensate for more heavy conditions in poor weather.
  • Producer Shingo ‘Seabass’ Takatsuka and his team have also worked to extend the remit of their Teamvision AI routines, with on-screen team mates adapting their tactics according to current situations, and moving into space to assist the player in attacking and defensive situations. Teamvision also recognizes strategies that work for or against it, and will accumulate the data for use in Master League and League mode.
  • The ever-present Master League has also been reworked, with negotiations now a lot simpler and conducted on a two-tier club and personal basis, while loyalty now plays a part with disaffected players’ moods having an adverse affect on their performances.
  • Every player in the game has also been totally redefined, with all new face and body detail, with further facial animations and kit detailing adding to the realism. The game’s Edit mode has also been boosted with the ability to create bespoke matches via the importing of faces, kits, and even sound files for specific music and crowd chants for any team. A new Pixel Paint system has also been integrated, allowing players to create their own club crests and badges to add to their home-grown kits.
  • WII: Konami has added support for the Classic Controller across the board as well as allowing you to tilt the Wii mote sideways to play in this new version.
  • WII: Elsewhere there's new defence options controlled via the Nunchuck, improved player AI and an enhanced shooting system which seems more intuitive and a lot of fun, allowing you to bag a whole hat-full of goals.

Demo:

• PSN/Xbox live Demo Release date: 2.10.2008
  • PSN Version is Up!
  • Xbox Live Version is Up!
  • PC Version Is Up!

5v2ekx.jpg

Screenshots:

• PS3/360/PC

2eoh5bp.jpg
2a9qgww.jpg

sxex4i.jpg
2u8vss1.jpg

b483dx.jpg
2rdi4xc.jpg

s28c93.jpg
ilf2x4.jpg

CLICK FOR MORE SCREENSHOTS

• Wii

v2sdpd.jpg
28ssv3p.jpg

2poab92.jpg
wc1tfr.jpg

CLICK FOR MORE SCREENSHOTS

dyvmab.jpg

VIDEOS

• Champions League Trailer

• GC 08 Debut Trailer

• Champions League Mode Leak

• Champions League Gameplay

13yhxsl.jpg

Miscellaneous

• XBox 360 Achievements

CLICK TO SEE ACHIEVEMENTS

• Winning Eleven 2009 Homepage

CLICK TO VISIT THE HOMEPAGE

• Official Football•Soccer•Fútbol Thread 2008/2009
JOIN THE CRAZY GAF FOOTBALL THREAD! THIS IS FOOTBALL, BITCHES!

• Online Match-Up Thread

There will be an online match-up thread as soon as the game is out!

2sb75nc.jpg

Reviews

• PSM3 - 88%

PSM3 said:
+ PES2009 is slower than last years game and overall is better
+ best football game on the market
- the shooting system is awkward, it's hard to score outside the box as the ball usually goes over the bar. It's also difficult to sore from certain angles in the box, but apparently after a while it's easier.
- no champions league mode in master league
- commentary is still dreadful

• Hobby Consolas - 92%

Hobby Consolas said:
- 8 different cameras, and each of them at 3 heights
- It also mentions that all 32 CL teams have full kits and names
- Players change facial expression when they lose the ball, they scream
- A.I. has improved very much according to the article
- The players are very much like the real counterparts
- Great illumination and weather effects
- 19 Stadiums
- 8 Players, 4 Online for regular match
- 7 players, 8 online for Become a Legend
- The Spanish commentators are great
- For kit editing, add images for Logos AND sponsors
- Share replays with friends through the Internet

The good:
“The Saga has reached a level of simulation that is hard to improve on”
“Smoother animations but Mechanical”

Conclusion:
“The Saga has made a huge step forward, although it has not yet found the ’sweet spot’ on the new consoles”
The Bad:
“The game engine is stuck on last year’s, with improvements”
“Fewer Licenses”

The general feeling of the reviewer is that aside the graphics and Licenses which are better in FIFA, the ‘legendary’ playability of PES remains.
It would be nice to have the review of FIFA that is in the same magazine.

Graphics: 90
Sound: 91
Longevity: 95
Fun: 92

Overall: 92

OPM - 9/10

Enjoy the beauty of the game!

2n89bg0.gif
soccerbenitez4gf143.gif
vi6nm.gif

2upsdxj.gif
e5rzfd.jpg
2rojqfm.jpg

Schweinsteiger.gif

GHG

So in this game we can avenge football results that happen in real life? Like I could take Bayern, play at home and beat Bremen?

Just under a month to go until release and things are looking promising for a return to form. The edit mode sounds superb, lets just hope it isn't limited by a certain amount of editing blocks like last year's game was.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
MacBosse said:
Fifa 09 looks like the more likely king this year.

yeah, if you enjoy shitty ball physics and lagged gameplay. OH I WENT THERE!

Shinobi

GHG said:
So in this game we can avenge football results that happen in real life? Like I could take Bayern, play at home and beat Bremen?

:lol That's cold man...

I'm leaning towards getting the PS2 version (grabbing FIFA '09 for 360) for a few reasons...cheaper price, think FIFA will be the better online game, getting edited option files for PS2 is miles easier then it is for 360, and visually it doesn't look much worse. I can use FIFA for my league play, and PES for my Champions League play. I just hope they've finally allowed the PS2 files to be the same in all regions, so I don't have to wait long for a new one (since we're getting it at the same time, there's no reason why it won't be the same).

Looking forward to the release of both games...I think they'll both have something to offer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
whoo first post.

fifa fanboys>pes fanboys and i didn't think that could happen after the fifa thread.

NolbertoS

I always wanted to try the PES games. I'm not a big fan of FIFA EA games, but still want to play something that's more realistic in futbol mechanics. Does PES own FIFA right for player and club names?? I remember hearing that EA secured the rights for along time, or maybe the contract ran out, just wondering, as I don't mind editing the team names and player names, but hope one day PES will have the FIFA license.

NolbertoS

GHG said:

I'm a big Bremen, fan, only cuz Pizarro scored one of the goals :D...it was Bayern's fault for letting him go and he made them pay dearly :p

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
after extensive time spent with FIFA demo and no progress, I'm pinning my hopes on PES yet again this year. I have a good feeling this time round.

h0pper

NolbertoS said:
I always wanted to try the PES games. I'm not a big fan of FIFA EA games, but still want to play something that's more realistic in futbol mechanics. Does PES own FIFA right for player and club names?? I remember hearing that EA secured the rights for along time, or maybe the contract ran out, just wondering, as I don't mind editing the team names and player names, but hope one day PES will have the FIFA license.

it's all preference, but recently (PES2007) I was converted to Pro Evo, thanks to Osorio (a regular in the football thread). I can't even play FIFA anymore. It feels slow and sluggish to me. Not to mention, the ball physics are all wrong. It's almost like you're kicking a balloon.

Alot of people argue that FIFA has gotten more realistic in the past 2 releases, which may be true, but to me the game just isn't as fun as PES.

I feel that the "realism" they've captured isn't necessarily to the benefit of gamers. To me, the overall flow and feel of PES is more realistic. The way EA has compensated has been to drastically slow down gameplay in FIFA and make it harder to play a flowing game imho.

With that said, give both a try. There are alot of FIFA fans around here who will argue with me all day long about which game is better. Some people have even said that PES is more "arcade-like" now. You'll have to be the judge.

As for licensing, EA holds a clear advantage. Konami lost the license to the Spanish league, which will leave a few teams unlicensed, but most likely not any of the bigger teams. They also haven't had the license for the EPL for quite a while now. But, all the correct player names are there. There's also a very big editing community for PES so if you want correct kits and team names, you can get it through a download if you have a PS3. If you're on a 360, you can just do it yourself.

check out www.winningelevenblog.com for some gameplay footage. Apparently it's gone back to the play of PES5 which was considered perfect by many. I woulndn't know ;)

h0pper

Blablurn said:
Yeah, this is something i mention for years now in my reviews. The ball physics suck - BIG TIME!

thing is, I didn't think they were that bad in FIFA07, which I played...alot. Then, in 08, with their new engine came these new physics. The ball has way too much bend on it and it feels way too "floaty". I don't know what they did, but I hate it.

It looked like they had fixed it though, in the videos. I was actually very excited for FIFA, I even went as far as to say to Ryck that I thought I'd be going back to it :lol

But, after playing the demo, I definitely will not be doing that.

Yazan

Bla, don't cry. Derby della Madonnina is next week, we're going to lose 5-2 as well.

OR not, why should I lie?

How did I miss this thread as I was scrolling through? Good work on the OP, Blablurn.

Can we go ahead and fill the FIFA and PES official threads with about 4-5 pages of school girl crying and hair pulling before we actually get the games in hand? :lol

Blablurn

thanks, Gamecocks625 :) hopefully there won't be too much crying x)

Yazan said:
Bla, don't cry. Derby della Madonnina is next week, we're going to lose 5-2 as well.

OR not, why should I lie?

Come on, It's just the start of the season. It's funny how the big teams are struggling. Man U, Milan or Bayern - But it's just the beginning.

Yazan

:lol I wrote in the wrong thread.

The edit mode sounds awesome, I am going to put Inno Milan before Milans matches.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Kabuki Waq said:
way too early to call it king.
Same thing every year:

1) PES fans buy PES.
2) PES fans complain PES is shit.
3) PES fans say they're never buying PES again.
4) Konami release first details of new PES; PES fans start getting excited.
5) Konami release more details, give the fansites hands-on to drub up yet more excitement; regardless of the quality of the game, they post positive opinions, anyway, because they're fans of the game and got to play it before anyone else.
6) Yet more screenshots, PES fans excitement is at fever pitch.
7) New PES is out; PES fans buy it in their droves.
8) Start from number 2 again.

Dizzan

MINI Member
MacBosse said:
Fifa 09 looks like the more likely king this year.

First post.... Get the fuck out junior. You should be banned for trying to shit up a thread like that.

Anyway, I can't wait for the demo. I'm hearing rumours that it's coming on the 2nd of October.

I really can't wait this year. It better be an improvement on last year. One thing I'm worried about is that they have taken out the "loading". Where you hold a button before the ball gets to your player or during an animation. I use this feature a lot and I heard they've taken it out.

Afrikan

cjelly said:
Same thing every year:

0) PES fans download FIFA demo.
1) PES fans buy PES.
5) Konami release more details, give the fansites hands-on to drub up yet more excitement; regardless of the quality of the game, they post positive opinions, anyway, because they're fans of the game and got to play it before anyone else.
7) New PES is out.
8) Start from number "0" again.

Haunted

Great OP, I approve.

Blablurn said:
:lol

cjelly said:
Same thing every year:

1) PES fans buy PES.
7) New PES is out; PES fans buy it in their droves.
8) Start from number 2 again.
In that respect, we're kinda like Sonic fans, except the games aren't shit, but totally awesome. It's just those impossibly high standards we've come to expect. :/

After being PES exclusive since PES2 it will be FIFA only for me to this year to. It seems like FIFA 09 has taken everything that PES did right back in the old days and made it better this year.

PES will need a really good demo released to even grab my interest this time. However, I thank it though for pushing the football genre in the right direction over the past few year The last few years of low par efforts cannot be forgiven though.

Will keep a close on this thread for impressions though :)

Xabora

Aww... I thought this was about a Lord of the Rings Soccer Spin-Off like Megaman Soccer for the SNES.

*sigh* now I made myself sad.

Keyser Soze said:
After being PES exclusive since PES2 it will be FIFA only for me to this year to. It seems like FIFA 09 has taken everything that PES did right back in the old days and made it better this year.

PES will need a really good demo released to even grab my interest this time. However, I thank it though for pushing the football genre in the right direction over the past few year The last few years of low par efforts cannot be forgiven though.

Will keep a close on this thread for impressions though :)

Me too the demo would really have to blow me the fuck away, they need to do something soon as fifa ads have started there was a massive i mean massive 4 minute or so ad at half time in yesterdays big chelski v man utd game ea really know how to do ads and really know where to place them.

Steroyd

Damnit! >_<

They had Pro Evo in a kiosk in Zaavi but as always there's someone or should I say some people playing on it, so all I got to do was watch, gameplay looks eerily familiar to 2008 and looks like Arsenal is licensed.

guidop

supermackem said:
Me too the demo would really have to blow me the fuck away, they need to do something soon as fifa ads have started there was a massive i mean massive 4 minute or so ad at half time in yesterdays big chelski v man utd game ea really know how to do ads and really know where to place them.

Peter Moore Baby

~Devil Trigger~ said:
vi6nm.gif

HOLY SHIT

Man, that's why soccer is an awesome sport.

Steroyd said:
Damnit! >_<

They had Pro Evo in a kiosk in Zaavi but as always there's someone or should I say some people playing on it, so all I got to do was watch, gameplay looks eerily familiar to 2008 and looks like Arsenal is licensed.

Ah, man down. Shame you didn't get a hands-on with it. Was it a day or night match, by the way? I know that's a random question, but I'm dying to see some day match gameplay. I hate lighting during night games in sports videogames.

I'm looking at scans of a Spanish magazine that reviewed Pro Evo 2009 and gave it a 92. It's in spanish (I found the scans at WENB), but thanks to my 2 years of college spanish, I can see that there are 60 national teams this year! I'm more of a "country" person in the club vs country battle, so this is music to my ears.

Vard

Lame, for a while it seemed like it was coming out October 29th. They should probably release the demo soon anyway.

h0pper

Vard said:
Lame, for a while it seemed like it was coming out October 29th. They should probably release the demo soon anyway.

it's still scheduled for October 29th in the USA. I believe it's coming out the 17th in Europe. The November 11th date is from Japan.

h0pper said:
it's still scheduled for October 29th in the USA. I believe it's coming out the 17th in Europe. The November 11th date is from Japan.

Yeah, I've seen conflicting reports where a few retailers are saying November 11th, but some insiders are keeping to the Oct 29th date for the US.

On a side note, supposedly Thailand and Iceland have been added to the 60 national teams selection

Top Bottom