• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

DoubleTap

Just a question to BAL mode vets. Just so I know I can gauge my progress (or lack of it). At what age are you going to get offers from Top clubs? I'm 19 with RC Deportivo and it's starting to feel like I'm "grinding" to build up my stats. I was promoted to the A squad then got demoted again to B Squad. I feel like I've played good games only to get rated 5.5 Its addicting and frustating at the same time. I can't explain it.

Thanks.

spwolf

DoubleTap said:
Just a question to BAL mode vets. Just so I know I can gauge my progress (or lack of it). At what age are you going to get offers from Top clubs? I'm 19 with RC Deportivo and it's starting to feel like I'm "grinding" to build up my stats. I was promoted to the A squad then got demoted again to B Squad. I feel like I've played good games only to get rated 5.5 Its addicting and frustating at the same time. I can't explain it.

Thanks.

for me, ratings were always quite accurate. At 19 you are grinding your stats, dont change your club often and keep at it.

If you change your club, make sure new club offers you contract for position you want to play...

DoubleTap

spwolf said:
for me, ratings were always quite accurate. At 19 you are grinding your stats, dont change your club often and keep at it.

If you change your club, make sure new club offers you contract for position you want to play...

That could be my problem (and lack of skills), I'm on my 4th club!

Thanks.

Blablurn

wow, although i still think it's not as good as 2008 i became pretty good. i just reached the 600 points line during online mode.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
o580.jpg

The new kit SS Lazio played with tonight against Internazionale F.C. (and lost 0-3, hell yeah).

:)

Also, just wanted to tell you guys that PES 2009 is the biggest title of the year by a long margin in Italy: The game is past 720.000 copies across all formats and with the holydays still ahead it has a shot at reaching 1 million LTD when it's all said and done, with the Wii and DS version bound to hit the shelves next March.

Blablurn

Dash Kappei said:
o580.jpg

The new kit SS Lazio played with tonight against Internazionale F.C. (and lost 0-3, hell yeah).

:)

Also, just wanted to tell you guys that PES 2009 is the biggest title of the year by a long margin in Italy: The game is past 720.000 copies across all formats and with the holydays still ahead it has a shot at reaching 1 million LTD when it's all said and done, with the Wii and DS version bound to hit the shelves next March.

Nice! Didn't know that.

Blablurn

PES Sales Figures Make Depressing Reading

OK first off lets get one thing clear, the sort of sales figures and revenue the PES series generates is nothing to laugh at. The findings after some extensive research show that while PES is still selling in the millions, it is most certainly a series in decline.

Now first off I have been using figures given from independent companies who provide figures for companies within the games industry. Because of my job I have access to this, but unfortunately due to certain rules within the business I can’t portray them publicly. I will say though, a good source for sales figures for the public is VG Chartz. While not 100% accurate, it gives a good indication to how things are going.

Let’s begin.

Back in 2003, the launch of PES 3 was extremely successful. Perhaps to many of us fans it was their highlight of the year, but back then it was still a relatively up and coming franchise. Critically acclaimed, it didn’t have the public attention compared to EA’s competitor. The game finished the year in 24th, with FIFA 2004 in 3rd.

The following year showed a massive improvement in sales, primarily down to being released on the Xbox. It climbed up the charts, finishing the year in 7th. FIFA 05 was only just ahead in 5th.

2005 was a huge year for PES fans, with arguebly the greatest version to date. The cover wasn’t bad either, with Henry and Terry facing off. The series continued it’s improvement in performances in the charts, with PES 5 ended the year in 5th. As ever, FIFA 06 was just ahead in 3rd.

2006 brought us PES 6. A game that still many fans hold onto, especially with what was to come in the near future. The release of the Xbox 360 gave the series that extra push, ending the year in 2nd. You guessed it, FIFA 07 was just ahead in 1st.

So to last year and the much maligned PES 2008. A huge let down to many fans, what was supposed to be the big nextgen title turned out to be an anticlimax. After aggressive price points in the run-in to Xmas, and the first PS3 release, the game ended the year in 6th with FIFA 08 in 2nd.

Now, over the last 5 years PES sales have steadily increased. That even includes PES 2008 sales, thanks to the PS3 version. But this year is very different. PES 2009 marks the first year that the series has had a dip in sales compared to previous years in the same period. After steady top 10 positions in the charts over Xmas in recent years, PES 2009 finished 2008 in 18th. And we all know where FIFA 09 finished…

I suppose there is a possibility that with the continued low price point of PES 2009 the title could surpass sales of previous versions in its lifespan, but I personally doubt it. The reason? PS2. The sole reason of low dip in sales was a massive drop off in sales in that particular format. Konami helped that dip themselves with the delayed release. It’s also evident their effort on PS2 versions in recent years haven’t been great, and the sales have started to reflect that.

Then there’s also the clear indication that fans are switching over to FIFA. The astronomical sales EA have mananged with their latest title wouldn’t not of been achieved if PES was in good shape, and FIFA 09 took it’s chance.

So, while PES 2008 was the version that carried the most disappointment it’s actually PES 2009 that had taken the first sales hit the series has suffered since it’s existence. This news, more than any other, should spring Konami into action.

And we here expect it to happen. We’ve initially heard that PES 2010 was going to be more of an evolution, but with such an outcry for a bigger improvement including poor sales I see Konami with no other choice. We’ll try and get some feedback and hopefully promising news in the coming weeks.

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/news/pes-sales-figures-make-depressing-reading/

Interesting article from of the guys of Winningelevenblog.com
I really hope Konami is finally going to put some more effort into the series. we nee a real evolution.

Returners

I got the PSP version yesterday, very very VERY surprised at the content.

Everything can be received and transferred to and from the PS2 version. (Too bad I'm getting the PS3 version)

Loading is significantly faster (maybe because I'm using the 3000).

Everything feels great.

General Comments about this year:
Did they tune down the ref? I've almost gone 2 match without any free kick and in the half season i've played, no cards whatsoever.

Though I'm hesitant to ask, hows the handheld FIFA this year (PSP)?

ElyrionX said:
After that piece of trash Konami actually dared to release last year, they totally deserve the lower sales this year.

Chill man, you're very critical of everything eh.

Beardz

Returners said:
Though I'm hesitant to ask, hows the handheld FIFA this year (PSP)?

I played it for ten minutes, I hate it, players seems to be skating; almost felt like players were sprites and not polygons.

Everyting felt pretty artificial.

iFootball

Returners said:
did anyone play the PSP version? Care to comment?

Actually, I gave it a try last night and it's pretty similar to last's year iteration, although I can see just a few additional animation frames here and there, plus I do beleive it runs better (or slow downs 'less' than before)... the cameras are still the same I believe, and yes , it seems it lack Champions Legue compared to PS3.

The thing that surprised me the most, was the inclusion of Internet/Infraestructura network play.... yup, you can play against other people around the world... Im not sure why I didn't know about this (was it there last year??), but it really surprised me, and I believe it's a great addition...

In case you wonder, yes, I played a match against someone in Spain in believe (I have the EU version).. I must say that it was laggy as expected for PES, but playable... although maybe the distance made it worse (US -> Spain)... anyways, this unknown (to me, at least) feature made it totally worth to upgrade from '08 to '09... it kinda (5%) looks better, plus Internet connectivity... sold!

~my two pesos

Dave Long

Banned
The DS version of 2009 is supposed to ship around the time they ship the Wii 2009 game. I think it's March.

The 2008 version was pretty meh. I wouldn't really recommend it.

Magicked

Alright, so I just started playing this. I've been playing FIFA this year, which I really enjoy (my first year switching after the horrid PES 2008).

Anyway, I've always enjoyed PES's single player modes better, despite the fact they don't seem to understand the concept of how real leagues work. Why can't we have PL down to L2 or something? But I know everyone is already aware of this issue, and it's been this way for a while.

So what I really want to say is Be a Legend is excellent. I really love the slow growth of your player, even though it takes a lot of matches to get better. You can also focus on different areas in training, which is nice. I really enjoy the realistic feel this has. I do have some questions about it though.

How much does the difficulty level affect how your teammates play? I started on professional, and I've noticed that the score is always 0-0, 1-0, or rarely 1-1. Every game seems to be very low scoring, even though I play 15 minute games.

Also, wingers seem to have a hard time on breakaways. Defenders close down so quickly, even after you get by them. This really doesn't happen IRL. Maybe the wingers on my team just suck? One of my guys wingers likes to cut inside rather than cross all the time, even when he is wide open. I'm not sure if this is just him or if it is a running trend for all CPU controlled teams.

I love how defenders close down quickly and really try to cut out space. It makes the battle in the midfield much more intense and realistic. My team really never gets long shots off, and it seems like they should have at least a few per game. Does this change for better teams?

I think that's all the questions I've come up with after playing tonight. :lol Should I try to change the difficulty on BAL mode?

jts

...hate me...
Kabuki Waq said:
TBH I think I never used that option in any PES, and I don't think that it is there on PES 2009. I can check it later. Where do I see that btw? On the team selection screen? Or before even selecting friendly match?

There is random team selection though.

alterno69

Banned
I got this game last week and i'm loving Become a Legend, i still think FIFA 09 is a much robust overall package and the animation and feel of the game is way more realistic but PES is a lot of fun too.

Is there a known bug in BAL mode? I skipped most of my matches in the first 3 seasons until i managed to get my player to a decent level and finally be a regular on the first team, now i'm on the Paris Saint Germain and i'm the top scorer midway trough the season, the problem is i'm getting 0 match exp after matches, i get the regular green bar exp just fine but so far this season i have yet to get any match exp even after scoring 2 goals in one match, is this normal?

Top Bottom