• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Gamecocks625 said:
Yeah, I've seen conflicting reports where a few retailers are saying November 11th, but some insiders are keeping to the Oct 29th date for the US.

On a side note, supposedly Thailand and Iceland have been added to the 60 national teams selection

WENB confirmed that it would be the 29th and that date was given to them by Konami. They were aiming to close the gap between the US and European release dates this year.

For you UK guys, preorder the game from HMV and get an exclusive England cover:

421x528_pes2009_ps3.png

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=-1;6;82;-1&sku=735646&WT.ac=PlayStation

Also, there is supposed to be an exclusive Liverpool special edition cover that you can get from the Liverpool site. I'm not sure when that will show up but it should be soon.

There is going to be a big Pro Evo 2009 presentation in Rome this weekend. I believe it's the PES Rankings final. Hopefully we'll get a good look at the final version.

Ok guys, admit it. You are going to preorder Pro Evo from Gamestop just so you can receive this special preorder bonus and wave it in the air at your university's soccer games:

PESscarf_bonusLG.jpg

Gamecocks625 said:
Also, there is supposed to be an exclusive Liverpool special edition cover that you can get from the Liverpool site. I'm not sure when that will show up but it should be soon.

How do they expect anyone in Liverpool to get it when you cant smash and grab over the internet?

This was posted in another Pro Evo thread, but it needed to be quoted in the official thread.

kobashi100 said:
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/913/913549p1.html

Play PES Wii the Old-Fashioned Way
Classic controller support and new gameplay enhancements coming.

UK, September 25, 2008 - Konami has lifted the lid on details of the Wii version of Pro Evolution Soccer, including support for the classic controller and a number of gameplay enhancements. Speaking at the PES European Finals in Rome, producer Akiyoshi 'Greyhound' Chosogabe revealed that the new game – which will be released in spring 2009 - will enable players to play the game using a conventional PES control scheme, either with a classic controller or by holding the Wii remote on its side and using the D-pad to control an individual player.

Greyhound explained that traditional controls were "deliberately left out last year to introduce the new concept", which he believes was successful in 2008's iteration of the game, but now he wanted players to experience the depth and variety offered by a classic controller. Konami then showed off the new controls during a brief demonstration, with a Man United-Barcelona clash playing out much like it would if it was running on PlayStation or Xbox.

saw this on evo-web. what a joke!!

- 4 year deal with UEFA
- 12 of 32 teams are licensed
- some more (but not all!!!) are unlicensed. No German teams at all.
-> you can't play the real 08/09 season
- random groups, no seeding is done
-> groups of death with Inter and Barca in one group possible
- you only get official logos, music, opening ceremony

kobashi100 said:

- 4 year deal with UEFA

:lol What was the point again?

Blablurn

kobashi100 said:

- 4 year deal with UEFA

At least they try :(

cjelly said:
Where the hell is the demo?

It's a week til FIFA and I need to make a decision! :lol

Who knows. Maybe it will come out next week to take on FIFA. Personally, though, I wouldn't prefer a demo going up against a full game, but Konami may not have a choice.

Francias Castiglione said:
:lol What was the point again?

Well, consider the alternative: it not being in there. I would much rather have the license than not. Plus, Konami secured this thing way late in the development process. Expect Konami to utilize it more thoroughly over the next few years. As for the licensed teams, there really isn't too much they can do since EA has most of the lisenses. Plus, with a sweet option file, licensing becomes a moot point if online play isn't your thing.

acm2000

until the demo of PES09 is released, fifa 09 is king, since the demo is great, i lost trust in konami after last years PES

Gamecocks625 said:
Who knows. Maybe it will come out next week to take on FIFA. Personally, though, I wouldn't prefer a demo going up against a full game, but Konami may not have a choice.

Well, consider the alternative: it not being in there. I would much rather have the license than not. Plus, Konami secured this thing way late in the development process. Expect Konami to utilize it more thoroughly over the next few years. As for the licensed teams, there really isn't too much they can do since EA has most of the lisenses. Plus, with a sweet option file, licensing becomes a moot point if online play isn't your thing.

No seeding in Champions League is criminal! This is not a hard thing to include in the game!!

Interview with the ol' Seabass himself. He makes some very interesting comments. It's worth a read.

IGN said:
The prolific producer on making ammends for last year's game and more.

UK, September 26, 2008 - Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka has had a tough year. As the creative kingpin behind Pro Evolution Soccer he has been showered with praise and over the last decade has seen the football series enjoy a meteoric rise. However, last year's iteration was widely criticised for not moving the game on, which made him and his team return to the drawing board to work on the latest version. With PES 2009 just a couple of weeks from release, we caught up with Seabass in Rome to find out how things have progressed.

IGN: PES 2008 was criticised for not moving the series forward. How did that inspire you to create the new version?

Seabass: I'm reluctant to say but you're right about the criticism we received. It wasn't our ideal next-gen title – there were online issues and slow-down in the game. But we used those criticisms to motivate us for PES 2009 and spent a lot of time solving these issues. I think we've managed to erase most of the problems in the final version of the game. Looking back, the steps we took with PES 2 and PES 3 – they were very revolutionary, and I believe they are the kind of steps we should take each year. This year I'm quite confident we've created a game that's revolutionary compared to last year.

IGN: How do you implement player form in the game – are you constantly revising individual ratings right up to the point when the game is released?

Seabass: There are around 4,000 players in the game and we take a lot of care of each individual stat. Luckily my team has a lot of people who take care of that side of it and they view all of the players from a critical eye, to calculate who's a good player in a specific area. At the end of the day we play the game and see how the players work out on the pitch, and then readdress the stats to rebalance them accordingly.

IGN: Will PES ever switch to be a digital download that has regular updates throughout the season?

Seabass: You can already download PES on PC, plus PES 2009 will have regular online updates. At the moment the two coexist – the game you buy at the stores and the download you play on PC – but I'm quite flexible for if the trend goes more towards downloads we'd shift in that direction. At the moment though I think most people would still go for the physical version they get from a shop.

IGN: What can players expect from these online updates – will they take into account transfer window changes and the like?

Seabass: We plan to do a lot of updates, every couple of months or so, and at this stage we also plan to do one when the January window closes to take into account all the transfers.

IGN: How does a team like Manchester City, which has recently become the richest club in the world, affect that? Does it worry you that they're looking to buy up so many players?

Seabass: I was quite surprised by Man City becoming richer than Chelsea and also that the owner said they wanted to create a team like something from our Master League, but I think it's unlikely to happen in that way and that all those players will go there. I'm sure that won't happen in one go, but I am watching very closely to see what happens.

IGN: In the past Pro Evo was regarded as a sim and FIFA a more casual game, but that's changing and both are becoming similar. Is that a conscious decision on your part?

Seabass: One side of that is true because I get the feeling that FIFA is trying to implement a lot of the stuff that we do, making it more of a simulation. However, we never set out to make PES a simulation - that was never our intention. Basically we want to satisfy as many users as we can, both core and casual gamers, and that has always been our goal. No matter what FIFA does that will always be our goal.

IGN: If you could pick you're a dream team of the greatest players of all time, who would be in your squad?

Seabass: Hmm. I would probably include Gerd Muller, Zidane, Cruyff… I'd also have Dennis Bergkamp and Gattuso, plus Essien in defensive midfield role. Thuram would be in there, along with Rio Ferdinand, Maldini, Ashley Cole and Peter Schmeichel in goal.

IGN: Do you have any insider tips on who to buy on the cheap in this year's Master League?

Seabass: Van Der Vaart was cheap in the previous games but he's now quite famous. In fact there are not really any hidden people any more because a lot of young players are already out there. That's especially the case this year because of the Olympics and there were lots of young squads so everyone knows them now. Anton Ferdinard used to be a great pick at the beginning of a Master League but he's become famous now too. Van Der Vaart was cheap because we implemented his stats into the game before he made the big move to Real Madrid.

IGN: More individual player animations are appearing in the game. Were there any players you had difficulty incorporating?

Seabass: Lionel Messi was quite tricky because he can move super-fast and he's capable of cutting in very quickly, but if we take it too far in the game it will make him look as if he's not human, so getting that right was difficult.

IGN: Have you played PES with the new green Xbox pad? What do you think?

Seabass: I don't really think it's changed that much but I'm extremely thankful for Microsoft because every year it comes to us and offers to make changes, which it does. I'm really thankful for its efforts, it really puts its heart and technology into it. Although it may not show at this stage I think it will in the future. In the Become a Legend mode the default camera is quite different and the 360 controller is really good in that mode, because it's more analogue than a digital direction pad.

Blablurn

great interview. i still remember one interview from last year where he almost apologized himself for creating such a game like PES 2008. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Blablurn <3 PES

-viper- said:
I'm excited.

Yeah, I'm just hoping that Konami releases a demo before FIFA comes out. Maybe they have one planned for next week. I'm only going to play one footie title this year so the quicker I get my hands on both of them, the better.

moai

IGN said:
IGN: If you could pick you're a dream team of the greatest players of all time, who would be in your squad?

Seabass: Hmm. I would probably include Gerd Muller, Zidane, Cruyff… I'd also have Dennis Bergkamp and Gattuso, plus Essien in defensive midfield role. Thuram would be in there, along with Rio Ferdinand, Maldini, Ashley Cole and Peter Schmeichel in goal.

:lol

Blablurn

I added some infos and screens from CVG's Wii preview to the OP.

Here are some new screens:

wenb_champions_league_001-500x400.jpg

wenb_champions_league_002-500x400.jpg

wenb_champions_league_003-500x400.jpg

wow, cluj IS CONFIRMED!!!!!!

Dash Kappei said:
Holy shit, Wii=Ultimate PES Experience confirmed then.
Seriously. The Wii version of PES is incredible. It totally craps on FIFA Wii. On next-gen consoles that's not exactly the case as you could actually argue the opposite.

A PR in my inbox says....

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced the availability of a playable demo of its forthcoming PES 2009 title for PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360 and PC on 2nd October.

Due for release on 17th October, PES 2009 marks the triumphant return of what is regarded as the most realistic football title for any format. Users will be treated to an expansive playable demo of the new title, with the bespoke version offering a full five-minute Exhibition multiplayer match.

Players will be able to select fully licensed Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid, and Barcelona club teams, or the licensed Italian or French national sides. The demo will allow users an early taste of the all-new elements set to further bolster PES 2009’s reputation as the definitive football game. All new visuals with completely remodeled players and animations, and new physics routines to ensure the ball behaves more realistically have been included, while the AI of the CPU sides has been enhanced to provide an ever evolving challenge.

The PES 2009 demo will also include promotional videos detailing the new game’s ‘Become a Legend’ and online ‘Legends’ modes, which see the player controlling just one player within a team and attempting to forge a career in football. Starting as a promising 17-year-old, players must force their way into the first team and produce a series of blistering performances which will ultimately result to a move to one of Europe’s biggest sides. Or, on the flipside, poor performances can see a player struggling in the lower leagues and eventually being released…

Steroyd

Gamecocks625 said:
For you UK guys, preorder the game from HMV and get an exclusive England cover:

421x528_pes2009_ps3.png

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=-1;6;82;-1&sku=735646&WT.ac=PlayStation

*vommit*

But Liverpool version you say?
Damnit I was planning to trade in for it as well. :(

And using the Konami ID's might be a good thing, they might actually implement an online mode with some substance like clans messaging friends etc.. you know... stuff that was in the PS2 version some years ago. >_>

Keyser Soze said:
A PR in my inbox says....

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced the availability of a playable demo of its forthcoming PES 2009 title for PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360 and PC on 2nd October.

Was going to post the same thing!

FeedTheYak said:
The WENB guys who did the podcast from Rome said they asked Konami about trophy support and their answer was "what are trophies"

I heard that too. :lol I don't know whether to laugh or cry

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I wouldn't worry about trophies, guys, Konami have been using the same achievements in PES on 360 for 3 years now. I don't think they realise they're even supposed to do them, either. :lol

Thursday will be interesting, can't wait to hear Blablurn and spwolf's expert analysis on the massive improvements Konami have made this year. :lol

Still undecided which one I'm buying, so we'll see.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A day before FIFA for most countries? Even more funny to think that FIFA will be coming out mere hours before the PES demo for Australia.

Steroyd

It's a sad state of affairs when I actually clicked on the stats link, how the hell am I supposed to know who's gimped with that. :lol

PirateSean said:
Prem player stats/appearances for anyone interested:

Part 1

Part 2

edit* Don't know what order they're in actually :lol

Arteta looks like captain black from Captain Scarlett, Phil Neville is also more responsive and faster according to the stats

fucking fail

Top Bottom