• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

GQman2121

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
anyone in the US pick up their copy, yet?

I'm going to pick up my copy -- along with Mirrors Edge -- in about an hour. They're there waiting now.

Upon my return, my next move is to fake being sick, so I can go home from work early and play all night. :p

Srider

Banned
I have never played a football game with ball physics this real until PES09.

I'm now always in awe seeing high through balls from just outside of the box curve around man to man defense, and then seeing the receiving player slow down the run, then lunging forward to head the ball, or volley it, all depending on the timing of square.

Usually when I try to trap it, it goes too far into the hands of the keeper or out of bounds, but it looks so good when it happens.

This game is so amazing now that the "new" feel has worn off.

Picked it up tonight at Gamestop (free scarf, too!). It's a ton better than what I was expecting. The daytime lighting is incredible, the ball physics are wonderful and everything feels great. For the PS3, this is the soccer game to get.

Here's hoping the club update will be released soon, because I want a good option file!

spwolf

Gamecocks625 said:
Picked it up tonight at Gamestop (free scarf, too!). It's a ton better than what I was expecting. The daytime lighting is incredible, the ball physics are wonderful and everything feels great. For the PS3, this is the soccer game to get.

Here's hoping the club update will be released soon, because I want a good option file!

i dont get it - you guys didnt get 1.2 patch and club update? In any case, you can download option file regardless?

spwolf said:
i dont get it - you guys didnt get 1.2 patch and club update? In any case, you can download option file regardless?

The 1.20 update will surely be released here soon (the 1.10 update is already up). Once that happens, there are some guys at PESgaming that will work on US option files, if they haven't already.

Gamecocks625 said:
there are some guys at PESgaming that will work on US option files, if they haven't already.

Have you tried any EU option file to see if they're compatible? The OF on PS2 worked cross region, that would suck if they're locked out now.

Srider

Banned
Most of the work has already been done though if you download the UK option files.

All the kits and faces are in separate files, so all you need to do is copy them over from the UK option file zip, then go into the game and tell it to use them.

If you want do all 600+ of them yourself, that is...

GQman2121

Banned
It really sucks that the PAL files don't work with the NTSC games. :(

I imported a bunch of the kit logos and emblems, and they all look really great in the game; it's just time consuming plugging them all in.

GQman2121 said:
It really sucks that the PAL files don't work with the NTSC games. :(

I imported a bunch of the kit logos and emblems, and they all look really great in the game; it's just time consuming plugging them all in.

I'll need to figure out how to do that. I hope the transfer/kit update will be released soon as it's already out in PAL-land.

Steroyd

But for it to be proper you need to go to System settings and click on download, took me a couple of days to figure that out.

GQman2121 said:
My game updated to 1.2 when I played for the first time last night.

What's the number of the most recent update?

Woah, seriously? What time zone are you in? I played last night at around 9:30pm EST and it didn't show up. I was only prompted to download the 1.10 patch. 1.20 is the latest patch that provides that new download option (maybe in system settings?) where it updates the transfers, some team kits, and supposedly gameplay fixes.

spwolf

darkvir said:
Sweet just picked it up!

Did any of you install the game data to the PS3 HDD? Worth it?

... I suppose I'll try it now.

i guess it cant hurt... i personally didnt notice much of an difference...

for option files, go to pesgaming.com (for people who are asking)...

Evidently, the UK 360 option files work on the US version. Some American guys over at PESgaming have confirmed it and said how they got it to work.

GQman2121

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
Evidently, the UK 360 option files work on the US version. Some American guys over at PESgaming have confirmed it and said how they got it to work.

I saw that over the weekend. What a crock of shit for the PS3.

Why does this keep happening anyway? What's the problem with allowing all OF to play on all versions of the game? Bollocks.

GQman2121 said:

Why does this keep happening anyway? What's the problem with allowing all OF to play on all versions of the game? Bollocks.

Has the 1.20 update been released? I know it's out in the UK, but not sure about the US.

PedroRVD

I cant believe that its more than 20 pages and nobody talks about the online experience....I dont live in USA so I have not tested it yet, but im looking for somebody to explain how online games go, if players keep teleporting like in PES2008...I sold that game inmediately after seeing online was broken....I LOVED the PES2009 demo, so im looking to buy this game but please, can you tell me if online is still broken?

A friend is offering me FIFA 2009 at $60 (yeah...thats a steal here...mmm) but im waiting for information on the PES2009 online to make a decision.

Thanks.

spwolf

PedroRVD said:
I cant believe that its more than 20 pages and nobody talks about the online experience....I dont live in USA so I have not tested it yet, but im looking for somebody to explain how online games go, if players keep teleporting like in PES2008...I sold that game inmediately after seeing online was broken....I LOVED the PES2009 demo, so im looking to buy this game but please, can you tell me if online is still broken?

A friend is offering me FIFA 2009 at $60 (yeah...thats a steal here...mmm) but im waiting for information on the PES2009 online to make a decision.

Thanks.

if you live in major countries, where many people are playing, online works well.

but you shouldnt buy it for online... you need to buy it for be a legend mode :D

spwolf

more chants released:

_ Toute la England League
_ Toute la Ligue 1 (plus Lens, Strasbourg)
_ Chant des supporters du Bayern Munich
_ 9 chants de Serie A (Juventus, Milan AC, Inter Milan, As Rome...)
_ 7 chants de Liga (Barcelone, Real Madrid, Valence, Villarreal, Betis Séville...)
_ 8 chants catégorie "autres équipes" (Benfica, Celtic, Rangers, PSV, Porto...)
_ 10 chants de supporters de Pays (France, Brésil, Espagne, Italie, Angleterre, Pays-Bas, Portugal...)

http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=65256

spwolf

GQman2121 said:

dont know... its konami...

there is already an base option file for NA you can use to get proper kits and actual option files should be out very soon

jts

...hate me...
Blablurn said:
i just lost an online match in the 119. minute. fucking anelka scored against me :\
I played a bunch of online matches yesterday, trying to grind up my lvl to 600 or so. Still at 570~580.

I had 2 losses that pissed me off:

In one game, i scored the 3-0 by the 60th minute and lost the game before minute 90! Shit, i called him a lagger and left.

The other one pissed me because i never felt so uncapable at PES 2009. The guy whooped my ass. 6-2 goddam, with 7 shots at goal. Fucking Kaka is a BEAST!!

I still have to play against you dimikun :D

Gamecocks625 said:

Is the 360 option file as easy to transfer as the PS3 one? I remember people were a bit concerned about Microsoft's stance on using usb devices to transfer data?

Haunted

Man, downloaded a Bundesliga patch last week. So good.

All teams, all transfers, all shirts, 140+ new faces, chants. Works in Become a Legend and Master League mode. Pretty fucking awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
PC PES has always been so amazing for realism and customization. Nothing else even comes close (or can come close, legally and technically speaking).

PedroRVD

nobody answered clearly my question about online.....I still bought the game so I wanna make it clear for people who wonder the same:

Online is CRAP, players teleport everywhere, the ball teleports and players dont know what to do....I search for custom matches and I only find 3 or 4 people...with red lights and yellow if I have luck. This is BROKEN.

And yes, I use the same internet connection that I used with PES2007 and had more than 1000 perfect matches and a lot of fun.

Im sad...but im not taking this from Konami anymore....bye bye PES (2004 - 2008)

Steroyd

Same here, then again when PES08's online was "uber shit" at launch me and Blaburn rarely experienced the problems everyone else was experiencing... saying that they fudged it up for us with the patches later rather than the opposite.

PATCH THE GOALKEEPERS.

They are seriously unbelievably retarded in this version, worst in the series me thinks.

kiun

So I am thinking of getting the JP edition of winning eleven 2009. Any impressions ?

oh btw, are there trophies for JP WE 2009 ?

spwolf

kobashi100 said:

thats what you get when fifa wannabe reviews the game... :lol

stopped playing PES09 myself... it was too good, and BAL was too addicting, spent too much every day on it... I also took it out of the office since we spent too much time playing it and were not getting work done... so thats kind of funny :lol

blaburn: there are already PS3 bundesliga option files, as well as american option ones for our brothers from america on pesgaming.com

Motherfucking, cock sucking, R1 holding, laggy ass noob twats.
With all the lags it's fucking impossible to stop these Barca bastards without risking a red card...
I'm not that good myself, but at least I try to make it look like real fucking Football. And it's fairly playable that way, even with lags.
I hate Konami :(

Anyways, is there an option file with real names for classic players? The von-patch doesn't do it for me.

kobashi100 said:

With every yearly sports release developers focus on one game mode to highlight as the new addition to the group. The biggest deviation from the standard Pro Evo formula is the Be A Legend mode. Basically this copies what EA Sports has been doing for some time now, but does a half-ass job of it.

I wish they'd at least do their research before writing the review. Fantasia mode was in Winning Eleven before FIFA even introduced Be A Pro mode, and Namco's Love Football had already made an entire game out of the concept before that. I've seen this mistake in so many reviews of PES2009.

I'm not sure if Konami cancelled the DS version, but if not, they need to hand it over to the development team responsible for the Wii version. I'd love to use the stylus in the same way the Wii remote is used for player runs and marking. I'm actually baffled that Konami hasn't gone with that control method yet. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Dave Long

Banned
DS and Wii versions were delayed to March for the 2009 edition of the game.

My reviews are up at Crispy Gamer. I dig it. PS3, 360, PSP.

PSP edition is a great purchase compared to the 2008 game, and even that was pretty good. You basically get the PS2 version on the go. Nice.

ElyrionX

I'm in my second season in the Master League and so far I find the game to be incredibly flawed (as usual). Another year, another flawed PES game. I made a post about it on another forum:

I've been playing this series since ISS on the SNES and Winning Eleven/Goalstorm on the PS1 and it's very disappointing to see how far the series has fallen this gen.

1) How many fucking years does Konami need to fix the goddamn commentary? This is easily one of the most annoying thing about the PES series but it's just not fixed year after year after year after year.

2) The foul system is also completely screwed up. Off-the-ball incidents (where you tackle a player who has just released the ball) are completely disregarded by the game. Obstruction is also not implemented at all. Worst of all, the ref calls a foul on plenty of legitimate tackles. I'm not even talking about the ref blowing against me but I've seen plenty of situations where the ref calls a foul when the AI just made a perfectly legitimate tackle.

3) AI teammates' reaction and off-the-ball running is horrendous. When I successfully grab the ball off a defender at the edge of a penalty and only have one more defender to beat, why is it that my nearest teammate starts running back instead of forward to receive my through-pass?

And how about penalties and corner kicks? I've had situations where the keeper saved my penalty kick and the ball rebounds forward. Another striker (controlled by the AI) rushes up and just before he reaches the ball (and an open goal), he pauses. I quickly hit L1 to gain control of him but it's too late as a defender has already caught up and cleared the ball.

As for corner kicks, I'm sure most of you have noticed this but after you've made the corner kick, the player who took the corner kick will literally freeze and not move at the corner flag until you take control of him.

4) The game is still heavily scripted especially after you've scored a goal. This has been an issue for PES all along and it's still around. The AI will completely dominate you and all your passes and runs will go awry at specific times during the match. Very frustrating when defending a lead.

5) Master League negotiation difficulty is messed up.

6) The running animations are terrible.

Dave Long

Banned
I guess I've kind of put Master League behind me with the new Become a Legend mode available. It's far more rewarding to play PES that way than it is in the Master League, though I know a lot of people want to do all that team management, etc.

I really haven't found the off the ball team movement to be as bad as you say. Players are usually in the right position to make runs. Once again, BaL really shows off the spacing that players try to maintain and you can really set up some nice stuff if you're playing in the midfield. Also, maybe try changing the difficulty a little bit? I've noticed the game plays a lot differently depending on the choice you make there.

As for referees calling fouls on legitimate tackles... have you ever coached a team? They do that all the time. Drives me nuts when I'm on the sideline. :)

Finally, as good as I think the 360/PS3/PSP games are this time around, the Wii version of 2008 is the definitive one. It completely changes the face of the series and soccer videogames in general, mostly for the better.

ElyrionX

Dave Long said:
I guess I've kind of put Master League behind me with the new Become a Legend mode available. It's far more rewarding to play PES that way than it is in the Master League, though I know a lot of people want to do all that team management, etc.

I really haven't found the off the ball team movement to be as bad as you say. Players are usually in the right position to make runs. Once again, BaL really shows off the spacing that players try to maintain and you can really set up some nice stuff if you're playing in the midfield. Also, maybe try changing the difficulty a little bit? I've noticed the game plays a lot differently depending on the choice you make there.

As for referees calling fouls on legitimate tackles... have you ever coached a team? They do that all the time. Drives me nuts when I'm on the sideline. :)

Finally, as good as I think the 360/PS3/PSP games are this time around, the Wii version of 2008 is the definitive one. It completely changes the face of the series and soccer videogames in general, mostly for the better.

Well, I'm already playing on Top Player difficulty and there's only Super Star difficulty left to tackle so it's really not the difficulty that I'm playing on that's causing the bad player movement. This has always been an issue in PES that I've noticed every year but given the power of today's consoles, I would expect such issues to be fixed.

Also, yes, of course refs do call fouls on legitimate tackles in real life. I watch football every week so I would know that. However, I'm convinced that the foul system just wasn't implemented well in this game (just like all the previous WEs). Refs call foul on way too many legitimate tackles that it's pretty damn ridiculous.

Also, when playing on Top Player difficulty, the opposition AI is always making ridiculously bad sliding tackles that get them sent off. It's not uncommon at all to see two opposition player sent off in a single match in my Master League game.

EDIT: Also, the Wii version sounds nice and all but I still refuse to buy that console so no PES Wii for me.

Dave Long

Banned
ElyrionX said:
EDIT: Also, the Wii version sounds nice and all but I still refuse to buy that console so no PES Wii for me.
Imagine being able to script plays as they happen just by pointing and dragging around the screen. That's how awesome the Wii version is. Those runs you're expecting and not getting? You can make them happen yourself with ease. It's really impressive.

Top Bottom