• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

Steroyd

I've started to get a hang on Be A Legned mode, I'm now a regular starter at Spartak Moscow at the age of 17 for half a season.

Sucks that we didn't make it to Europe. :(

Blablurn said:
No cocks :( am i the only one who dislikes the wii version?

No, the late bdoughty hated it with a passion. Actually, the Wii in general gave him an utter meltdown which led to his permanant bannage.

I thought it was the best out of the 2008 versions because it combined the great PS2 game with a huge amount of offensive control that didn't exist before.

At any rate, I'm still waiting for the US release of 2009. It ships next week!

Steroyd said:
I dislike the Wii does that count?

No. The pokemon in your avatar disqualifies you ;)

spwolf

Srider said:
After playing weeks of Become a Legend mode, I now suck at the actual game.

I just played an exhibition match vs Liverpool and got owned 4-0 :(

yea, its quite different... i am battling my addiction with BAL mode... I am not bringing my PES home with me anymore...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so I just returned to normal matches ( damn you Be a Legend mode you are so much fun :lol ) and , uh I just realized I can't do Low-Fast cross pass inside the 18 yards box ( you know taps O twice fast ) , the only way I can do here it is by the 180 turn and O and it's not 100% too , any tips ?

ksamedi said:
If you dislike the Wii version, you dislike football :D
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
and
2762158197_d1e48cab6d_o.png

Maverick

Totobeni said:
so I just returned to normal matches ( damn you Be a Legend mode you are so much fun :lol ) and , uh I just realized I can't do Low-Fast cross pass inside the 18 yards box ( you know taps O twice fast ) , the only way I can do here it is by the 180 turn and O and it's not 100% too , any tips ?

Do you mean the cross that actually skims across the ground? Just tap O x3 if so. Otherwise, I am not exactly sure what you are talking about.

Also, while I like the idea of BaL mode, I still don't know how I feel about the camera. I much prefer playing the game from the "Wide" camera. It's really jarring to get used to making runs and shooting the ball using the "BaL" default camera.

I'm thinking about quitting BaL for now (just made my 2nd start) and starting up a Champions League or Masters League team.

Also, is it me or do custom chants not work in BaL?! Is this the case for Masters league as well?

If so, : (

Srider

Banned
Maverick said:
Do you mean the cross that actually skims across the ground? Just tap O x3 if so. Otherwise, I am not exactly sure what you are talking about.

Also, while I like the idea of BaL mode, I still don't know how I feel about the camera. I much prefer playing the game from the "Wide" camera. It's really jarring to get used to making runs and shooting the ball using the "BaL" default camera.

I'm thinking about quitting BaL for now (just made my 2nd start) and starting up a Champions League or Masters League team.

Also, is it me or do custom chants not work in BaL?! Is this the case for Masters league as well?

If so, : (

Chants work in all modes I think. I distinctly remember hearing it in BAL mode.

GQman2121

Banned
GQman2121 said:
So for those who have been playing the master league, how is it set up this year? Do you still have the two cups to play for as well as the league trophy? Or did they do away with that since the Champions League is it's own mode?

Anyone?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Steroyd said:
Oh hooray the update that has been delayed for ages is now up.

what does it fix? I hope online, because losing because of lag/ warping is maybe the single most irritating experience I have in gaming. They also should tone down the specs of some players (Messi, Ronalda, Zlatan, etc..), defending those fuckers is allmost impossible.

Srider

Banned
I was starting to wonder why there is no reset player roster option this time around, and then I checked the online update readme, and thank god Konami decided to overwrite any user edited data with the download updates.

Good of them to think ahead.

spwolf

lots and lots of updates... 4 new spanish teams and 12 team for CL.
Also lots of kits updated and all transfers done.

I will check for any gameplay updates once i download the roster update.

p.s. BAL is woaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Srider

Banned
spwolf said:
lots and lots of updates... 4 new spanish teams and 12 team for CL.
Also lots of kits updated and all transfers done.

I will check for any gameplay updates once i download the roster update.

p.s. BAL is woaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

I think the patch fixed alot of the animations. The player's movements feel alot more fluid now, or maybe I'm just getting used to the way the game moves...?

spwolf

This download will updates four Spanish sides

* C. ATLETICO MADRID,
* SEVILLA F.C.,
* R. RACING C.
* and VALLADOLID,

all of whom will be officially licensed. Furthermore, it will also update the kits and team rosters of many teams within the game. The UEFA Champions League mode will also benefit from the new update, with twelve more teams added to the club list, with proper UEFA Champions League kits and kit markings added.

Please see below for the details.

The following team kits will be updated by the PES patch (once download content data has been validated). Please be aware that any kit data edited by the user before the download will be lost.(only for the teams listed below so don't worry about the others on your option file)

* FRANCE
* LIVERPOOL FC
* MANCHESTER UNITED
* FC GIRONDINS DE BORDEAUX
* OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS
* OLYMPIQUE DE MARSEILLE
* ACF FIORENTINA
* INTER
* JUVENTUS F.C.
* A.S. ROMA
* PSV
* FC BARCELONA
* REAL MADRID C.F.
* VILLARREAL C.F.
* ATHLETIC CLUB
* R.C.D. ESPANYOL
* MAD ROJO/BLANCO
* R.C.D. MALLORCA
* SANT BLANCO/VERDE
* SEV BLANCO
* VALL VIOLETA
* SK SLAVIA PRAHA
* PANATHINAIKOS
* FC PORTO
* SPORTING
* CFR CLUJ
* STEAUA BUCURESTI
* FC ZENIT ST. PETERSBURG
* CELTIC FC
* FC BASEL 1893
* FENERBAHÇE SK
* SHAKHTAR DONETSK
* FC DYNAMO KYIV

Team rosters will be updated to match those registered by teams at the close of the summer transfer window (August 31st 2008). Please be aware that once the downloaded data has been automatically validated, any user generated team roster data or team formation settings will be lost. User generated player and team data (excluding formation settings) will remain intact.

here you go...

spwolf

Von Option file for PS3 is now 1.2 compatible:
http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=64749

Update 4 (V1.04)

- Now V1.20 compatible (including
4 new Spanish licences, 3rd kits in Champions League, 100's of players added to the game, new boots etc)

-V1.20 fixes including Fellaini to Everton, Bendtner's face, fixed fake international players etc

- Added all missing international kits (Chile, Hungary, Costa Rica, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Colombia, Ecuador, Poland, Peru, Israel, Ukraine and Thailand) Every club and international team in the game now has a fully licensed kit

- Added new West Ham away kit, modified Chelsea and Spurs GK kits and tweaked Everton kit logos

- Fixed remaining incorrect international names. Replaced a lot of created players with unlocked versions. Also unlocked most currently active hidden players including Bundesliga players

- Bunch of hair, boots, accessory etc updates

spwolf

just had good season at Valencia, and was happy when offer that can not be refused came - FC BARCELONA... YAY!.

I am breaking my own rule as they are not signing me for AMF but shit, is Barcelona hard to resist or what!

Blablurn said:
damn, i want to like the game but i dont ;( i didnt play it for weeks now :((

Let's cry together. I'm contemplating saving my PES money and putting it towards my DSi fund.

spwolf said:
game requires you to be gold subscriber to get the update for 360... sucks hard according to chaps over at pesgaming.

wow. PS3 is Konami's home again, confirmed.

spwolf said:
why? The best PES ever... and BAL is like WoW for football.

I think I'm still going to get it. My PS3 needs some love since my only PS3 games are Hot Shots Golf and SOCOM (NCAA Football 09, why do you have to suck!).

spwolf

Gamecocks625 said:
I think I'm still going to get it. My PS3 needs some love since my only PS3 games are Hot Shots Golf and SOCOM (NCAA Football 09, why do you have to suck!).

be careful with BAL... it might get you addicted... I have probably put around 40-50 hours into BAL alone so far...

spwolf

seems that they have fixed the sliding tackle issue, i am playing in BAL mode and finally i was able to get the ball via sliding tackle (vs usually getting yellow card)... Small gameplay changes, nothing major though, at least not in BAL mode.

Oh ffs, why did konami think it was a good idea to have a pc patch, then require you to download the new teams and transfer updates ingame.

It's downloading at a rediculously slow pace, presume its p2p, would it hurt to just have it as a patch which I can download at a speed faster than 56k speed.

It's going to take like 2 hours at this rate. And the file is presumably pretty small.

spwolf

Ryck said:
If I download this do I have to replace all the kits or just the actual option file?

you have 4 different things in that file:
- option file (with player/team/league changes)
- improved team/nt kits
- improved player faces
- chants for english teams

Easiest one is to just use option file since it is single file... to update all of it will take some 5 minutes of clicking around :). But really, once you are done, it is done and it is very satisfying to have it all properly in the game.

So yeah, you can update whatever you want...

Ryck

spwolf said:
you have 4 different things in that file:
- option file (with player/team/league changes)
- improved team/nt kits
- improved player faces
- chants for english teams

Easiest one is to just use option file since it is single file... to update all it will take some 5 minutes of clicking around :). But really, once you are done, it is done and it is very satisfying to have it all properly in the game.

So yeah, you can update whatever you want...
Im sorry I didn't specify but I have an older version of the Von option file.. what I meant is do I have to add everything as if its a completely different OF ( ie delete all the old kits stored on my ps3 ) or can I just add the actual "edit data" file and leave the kits alone since they are from the older von OF.

it's taken over an hour to download 50% of the patch. Well done Konami, a 40mb file taking hours to download.

Would it have hurt to put the update up for seperate download instead of this crap?

spwolf

Ryck said:
Im sorry I didn't specify but I have an older version of the Von option file.. what I meant is do I have to add everything as if its a completely different OF ( ie delete all the old kits stored on my ps3 ) or can I just add the actual "edit data" file and leave the kits alone since they are from the older von OF.

just option file... you actually have file with only the latest update on pesgaming link i posted, so you can only do the changes and not the complete file.

jts

...hate me...
FF_VIII said:
Not even close.
You are crazy. IMO the only things this game is lacking from other Pro Evos are a better training mode and online 2vs2 with local co-op. Quite the pet peeves.

Everything else is heaps and bounds ahead of any Pro Evolution Soccer game. Graphics, smoothness, players' models, game modes - Uefa Champions League, Be a Legend, Legends - stadiums, replays, edit mode, "updatability", etc. In terms of gameplay YMMV of course, for me it's great.

Erdrick

The North American release is this week for Pro Evo 2009, and I'm still unsure whether to stick with the safe PS2 version or make the jump to the PS3 version. I never bother with the single player mode, I just bring PES out whenever a friend of mine comes over for a match or 2 a few times a month. I've been buying Konami Soccer games for years now, dating back to Goal Storm on the PS1 and then the superb ISS64 and ISS98 on N64. I have every Winning Eleven that was released in NA starting from the initial 6 up to last years 2008 on the PS2. I skipped the inaugural PS3 version last year because I heard that it did not play right at all, slowdown was rampant and all that poor stuff. Also helped that the PS2 version was like $20 new. Now I'm not nearly as hardcore on Soccer in either real life or in PES as most of you in this thread, but I still love the game and the Konami-produced videogame ones.

My question is:

Is the PS3 version worth getting this year, or does it still lack the feel of the PS2 ones prior in the gameplay department?

I want to make the next-gen jump, but I am hesitant... I want it to feel as fluid and solid as the previous ones... And I can't for the life of me, find any comparisons between the PS2 and PS3 versions this year.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Erdrick said:
My question is:

Is the PS3 version worth getting this year, or does it still lack the feel of the PS2 ones prior in the gameplay department?

I want to make the next-gen jump, but I am hesitant... I want it to feel as fluid and solid as the previous ones... And I can't for the life of me, find any comparisons between the PS2 and PS3 versions this year.

PES 08 on PS3 was shit , PES 09 on PS3 is the Shit

I don't know about PS2 version of PES 09 yet , but PS3 version is so awesome performance wise ( no frame drops , no bugs , no glitchs ) , also I don't think there is Legend mode in PS2 version .

Dave Long

Banned
Erdrick said:
The North American release is this week for Pro Evo 2009, and I'm still unsure whether to stick with the safe PS2 version or make the jump to the PS3 version. I never bother with the single player mode, I just bring PES out whenever a friend of mine comes over for a match or 2 a few times a month. I've been buying Konami Soccer games for years now, dating back to Goal Storm on the PS1 and then the superb ISS64 and ISS98 on N64. I have every Winning Eleven that was released in NA starting from the initial 6 up to last years 2008 on the PS2. I skipped the inaugural PS3 version last year because I heard that it did not play right at all, slowdown was rampant and all that poor stuff. Also helped that the PS2 version was like $20 new. Now I'm not nearly as hardcore on Soccer in either real life or in PES as most of you in this thread, but I still love the game and the Konami-produced videogame ones.

My question is:

Well, if you don't have a Wii, then you should be fine upgrading to the PS3 version, but the bottom line for this series is that the Wii game reinvents football on videogame consoles and makes it far closer to the real game than you'll ever get using a gamepad.

spwolf

Totobeni said:
PES 08 on PS3 was shit , PES 09 on PS3 is the Shit

I don't know about PS2 version of PES 09 yet , but PS3 version is so awesome performance wise ( no frame drops , no bugs , no glitchs ) , also I don't think there is Legend mode in PS2 version .

BAL mode is the best thing that has happened to football gaming forever now... It is very hard, very realistic, very unforgiving.

People who dismiss PES09 as nothing new, have not really tried BAL mode, or tried it for 2 games where they played training matches that sucked.

I have personally always played 1vs1 PES... in past 4-5 years that I have played PES, i have maybe played 10 games total vs CPU..

And now in past 2-3 weeks i have played more than 50 hours of BAL mode... it is THAT good.

spwolf

BAL. spwolf. 24 yrs.
Barcelona vs Manu, EC QF
1st leg 0:1
2nd leg 2:0 - spwolf scores and assists, ManU misses penalty, Barcelona thru...

PES09 FTW

Top Bottom