• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons: Bart Gets an "F" really is a memorable episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

Funny, I just watched this episode today since I'm re-watching the series in english (Always watched the latin american dub), and I have to say this episodes works way better in english, its really good. The snow scene always kills me.

Oddduck

I would actually consider this to be one of my favorite episodes ever. Maybe in my top 10.

The scene when Bart breaks down in tears always gets me.

AniHawk

season 2 is excellent and full of moments like these. the way we was, old money, dancin' homer, and simpson and delilah are all pretty memorable too.

terrisus

Yeah, but you can see this throughout all of the Simpsons' first and second seasons. Everything was still in development, and they hadn't quite nailed down the characters personalities yet. Homer was more angry and gruff, Lisa was kinda bratty, Marge's behavior was more erratic.

That's what makes revisiting Season 1-2 so interesting.

Yeah, the first season or two - while having many great episodes - were a bit rough around the edges and at times out of place as things tried to find themselves and figure out what they were going to do and such.

Still definitely great though.

This episode is older than I am...

Thanks for making me feel even older >.>

Part of this D- belongs to God.

Great way to end the episode. Just little stuff like that was what made Simpsons great.

TheJLC

Yeah a really great episode. I felt like that one time in my life and yes I got a D and passed. Felt damn great.

Ishida

Banned
It is certainly one of the best episodes, if not THE best.

I really miss this aspect of Bart, when he can be very vulnerable and insecure.

Today's Bart is extremely malicious, to the point of being downright evil instead of a "problem child".

Also, that episode means a lot to me because I was always a terrible student. I couldn't focus in class, leading to bad grades. So I understand Bart's frustration of actually trying to learn and still failing. That episode is like an episode of my life.

Back when the simpsons was a family drama with comedic elements instead of a whacky show with barely any character drama (and then straight up shit, obviously).

I loved this episode when I first saw it cause I was in the fourth grade myself and could totally get the horror of possibly failing and getting held back which was something that almost happened to me in the third grade.

Still my favorite episode of the series.

Yeah it's a really great episode. Also, it just hit me that Bart is actually older than me. I was 7 when this episode aired.

I was always bad at Maths as a kid and pretty much failed every test in it i ever took, which made me feel like a complete idiot, so as a kid yeah, this episode hit me hard too

BowieZ

Banned
What also heightens this scene is the way Mrs Krabappel genuinely consoles Bart ("there there!") during his traumatic realisation; like him she also breaks free from her emotional detachment from the classroom, whereby she is moved by his dilemma and finds a new purposeful voice... and she is only too happy when she figures that all is not lost...

terrisus

Yeah it's a really great episode. Also, it just hit me that Bart is actually older than me. I was 7 when this episode aired.

If you weren't 8 when the series started, he's older than you.
Since, he was that age from the beginning.

Or, alternatively, he's been younger than you for decades.

Ishida

Banned
What also heightens this scene is the way Mrs Krabappel genuinely consoles Bart ("there there!") during his traumatic realisation; like him she also breaks free from her emotional detachment from the classroom, whereby she is moved by his dilemma and finds a new purposeful voice... and she is only too happy when she figures that all is not lost...

Exactly.

Today's Simpsons have become too one-dimensional, like extreme parodies of their former selves. They've always been caricatures of common stereotypes, of course, but in the old days you could see more aspects to their personality and their struggles instead of what we have now.

The episode where Bart pretends to be a man mailing Ms. Krabappel for a relationship is also magnificent.

AlexBasch

That Bart Simpson crying gif looks useful.

And as someone who nearly failed University but still made it, I can relate. ):

BigAT

It's a good episode, but the crying - even though it's supposed to feel real, and be over an event that would legitimately be traumatic - always just felt awkward and out-of-place with his character.

Of course not, you're a robot.

tumblr_l6ht47A6s11qc073co1_400.gif

A-V-B

Today's Bart is extremely malicious, to the point of being downright evil instead of a "problem child".

Funny, that's Eric Cartman now too.

Though he was always malicious. It just took a turn for the extreme when he tried to help Cthulhu literally end the world.

Bart, and by extension his whole family, were still human beings in early Simpsons. There were their "comedy" elements, and then there were the things that made them laugh and cry.

terrisus

The thing is, The Simpsons now are undeniably different than they were previously, but it's not as simple as saying "They were better then than they are now," since there is a notable difference between how they were the first season or two while they were trying to figure themselves out, and the 10 or so seasons after that.

Not to say they were bad at the beginning of anything, just that they were a bit different at times, as opposed to pretty much all of like seasons 3-12 when they were consistently great.

No matter how I worded the above post, I have a feeling someone's going to take it as me saying they weren't great during seasons 1 and 2. That's not what I'm saying >.>

I remember that GAF user who said the the new Simpsons is the exact same as the old Simpsons and it's we who have changed and not the show. He was pretty adamant about it and called everyone who thought otherwise an asshole.

Richie

This is a great episode, a landmark of the series. It speaks great of the series that, by now, Bartmania was at its peak, and instead of capitalizing with that by making Bart some sort of badass kid who would always get his way, no, here we have it in the season premiere (which broke audience records, 33.6 million viewers for God's sake) being the most human and relatable he could be.

It's also one I like because it's one of the few episodes, even in the classic era, that's truly carried by Bart's characterization. Even in the golden days, he was the least developed of the main four. You'll say, no, there are dozens of Bart episodes. But if you pay attention, after the first few seasons most so-called Bart episodes have things happening to him, and gags mined out of stuff that occurs around him, but rarely if ever actually born out of Bart himself. Here it's completely Bart's show from beginning to end, and for that, I love it.

Dishwalla

Banned
This is a great episode, a landmark of the series. It speaks great of the series that, by now, Bartmania was at its peak, and instead of capitalizing with that by making Bart some sort of badass kid who would always get his way, no, here we have it in the season premiere (which broke audience records, 33.6 million viewers for God's sake) being the most human and relatable he could be.

Note that the reason this episode is the highest rated episode of the series in viewership though is not because of the content, but because, after months of media speculation and hype, this was the first episode that aired on a Thursday night opposite The Cosby Show. Also note that the episode wasn't even viewable in a good portion of the country at the time, I think I've read that upwards of 20% of America didn't have access to Fox when the episode aired.

Richie

Note that the reason this episode is the highest rated episode of the series in viewership though is not because of the content, but because, after months of media speculation and hype, this was the first episode that aired on a Thursday night opposite The Cosby Show. Also note that the episode wasn't even viewable in a good portion of the country at the time, I think I've read that upwards of 20% of America didn't have access to Fox when the episode aired.

So viewership could have been even higher. Fascinating.

Oh and I know it wasn't because America read the plot summary and went nuts over Bart studying for an exam, but it's still worth remarking the writing staff was unaffected by the Bartmania and stuck to their guns regarding solid characterization.

Lucumo

He worked his butt off, for one day. If he never paid attention and didn't do anything, why should that allow him to pass?

terrisus

He worked his butt off, for one day. If he never paid attention and didn't do anything, why should that allow him to pass?

And, as I said, there would have been many warnings and interventions along the way, it would harldy come as a shock.

'Homie The Clown' & "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish" are my personal favourite episodes, and two that aren't mentioned that often in "Top 10" lists. The former has a lot of quotable lines, while the latter is one of the more depressing episodes from Season 2.
This is my favorite Simpsons episode as well. So many laughs in that one.

Camjo-Z

I agree, it's always nice to see silly cartoon characters show some real human emotion once in a while. I'm not a major Simpsons buff or anything, but it seems to me that they've lost this element of the show in recent years.

AlexMogil

I know it's a sitcom but I just wish they could have let him be sad for just a little bit longer. We barely have time to register that he's truly sad before he turns himself around, and Nancy Cartwright does such a good job with Bart's emotion in that scene.

spliced

I thought of it more as a karma thing for Bart. Normally he's causing trouble and laughing at other people but this was a time to watch him fail and laugh at him.

Grizzo

Just rewarched that episode. I had forgotten all about season 2 of the Simpsons.

That was a good one. Lisa reminding Bart that his prayer had been heard was a nice touch. Love those types of siblings moments.

The scene where he breaks down and Edna comforts him was sweet too.

Pulka

I can really relate to this episode. I was a dumb kid too, just couldn't get anything in to my ol' stupid head.

Richie

I thought of it more as a karma thing for Bart. Normally he's causing trouble and laughing at other people but this was a time to watch him fail and laugh at him.

The moment isn't played for laughs, though, and the episode invites you to sympathize with Bart by showing that this is one time he's actually sticking with the honest way to success.

That's because his character was portrayed as usually not caring about anything enough to try. Bart was a classic underachiever scared of failure so he doesn't put any effort into succeeding in order to detach himself from the negative results. So for him to try as hard as he did and still fail.... must of crushed him.

That's what made this episode perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom