• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

Zzoram

I'm still interested but I'm not sure if I want the game now, or after a few patches and expansions to fix the few broken things and increase the volume of content. The annoying bugs being mentioned are pretty much inexcuseable, casuals can't handle bugs, and they delayed the game several months so you'd think they would've taken the time to polish the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone suggest what graphical settings to lower to increase performance most? I have a great framerate, but when I accelerate time to the maximum, it crawls along. I want to be able to zip past when my sim is sleeping. As of now, I have to sit there for like 1-2 minutes staring at the screen...

Zzoram

FlyinJ said:
Can someone suggest what graphical settings to lower to increase performance most? I have a great framerate, but when I accelerate time to the maximum, it crawls along. I want to be able to zip past when my sim is sleeping. As of now, I have to sit there for like 1-2 minutes staring at the screen...

Edge Smoothing is anti-ailiasing, so low is fine (prolly 2xAA). High Detail Lots will suck up a lot of RAM. Animation Smoothing also crushes computers.

Solsc

FlyinJ said:

I dont think its the graphic settings that is doing it, I think it is a bug in the game. It does the same thing to me and it is very annoying.

Another anoying bug (for me, as I love the music from this game) is that sometimes, when you get to building and furniture modes, or creating a sim, or birdseye view form the village, the music goes off. You cant hear the music from the game. Not the radio music from the speakers you can buy, that works always, but the game music goes off and if I remember correctly, doesnt return until your restart the game (dont remember if I have accomplished ever doing the music to comback without restarting the game).

And I dont even know why this happens.

Zzoram

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Another anoying bug (for me, as I love the music from this game) is that sometimes, when you get to building and furniture modes, or creating a sim, or birdseye view form the village, the music goes off. You cant hear the music from the game. Not the radio music from the speakers you can buy, that works always, but the game music goes off and if I remember correctly, doesnt return until your restart the game (dont remember if I have accomplished ever doing the music to comback without restarting the game).

And I dont even know why this happens.

That would be annoying. I hope they are preparing a hefty patch.

peetfeet

Anyone have an idea where the book is to study whistling? need it for my law enforcement job, searched the library and bookstore.....

MGrant

peetfeet said:
Anyone have an idea where the book is to study whistling? need it for my law enforcement job, searched the library and bookstore.....

Are you sure it's not in your inventory? All the books I've had to read for jobs have been ones my sim has brought home in their inventory.

peetfeet

MGrant said:
Are you sure it's not in your inventory? All the books I've had to read for jobs have been ones my sim has brought home in their inventory.

Is the inventory where you have access to your mobile/cell phone? If it is I dont think so, may it be on the book shelf?

edgefusion

FlyinJ said:
Is there a way to randomly assign traits/life goals to a created sim?

Just click the randomise sim button before you get to work creating him/her and it'll randomise all the traits for you.

Alex

I wish they'd copy the old console Sims and allow you to play co-op. That portion completely made The Sims worth buying on consoles, was great fun.

Assuming they don't, at least, I'm buying this tommorow and I haven't bought Sims on the PC since. Uh... the day of release for the original. :lol.

It just seems like there's a lot they could do with online play with these, The Sims Online trainwreck not withstanding.

Magicked

MGrant said:

I came in here to ask the same question, so thanks!

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I made a pretty normal sim to begin with, since I've never played these games before, but I definitely want to create some crazy bastard soon.

Slacker

More lulz in the game, this time from Cracked:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/exploring-the-mysteries-of-the-mind-with-the-sims-3/

The main focus of my experiment is a man known as Subject Beef. An artificial intelligence created for the purpose of playing video games, he’ll find out that he’s also a cog in the unfeeling machine of psychiatric progress. Some people might get squeamish at the idea of torturing an AI just to write down what happens, but look at it this way: Any day now Japan is going to fuck up and finally build the robot that can make decisions and run on blood. As it starts tearing into my human people, the least I can do is make that an act of vengeance. Without me and this experiment, all that robot murder is going to just be senseless.

Alex

Neither of them did much for me. It wasn't bad music, and the quality was high, but it's not super memorable and catchy like I'm finding this to be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There is a random bug where menu music would stop playing. The solution is to turn on a radio to force the music to play.

Darklord

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
There is a random bug where menu music would stop playing. The solution is to turn on a radio to force the music to play.

Probably is the Radio has stopped too. Seems like it's only my original save though.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Lower the specs. That works for me. I had the same problems as you. Strange as my computer runs smoothly the game in the highest settings, but randomly it kicks out of the game. You can play for 6 hours without a problem, or maybe kicks you out in 10 minutes.
The worst thing if it kicks you out while you are saving your game. It erases all your data.

Needs a patch ASAP.
In my case it's my buggy computer's fault rather than the game's. Formatted and installed nothing but display drivers and the game. The thing still crashed, blue screened and rebooted. Then this happened.

But Live mode crashes much less frequently, so at least I can play part of the game...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So if I'm just trying to start a normal game and I have only decent experience with The Sims, are there any recommended settings to use? I don't want it to be super-easy or frustratingly hard.

Retro

AstroLad said:
So if I'm just trying to start a normal game and I have only decent experience with The Sims, are there any recommended settings to use? I don't want it to be super-easy or frustratingly hard.

You might try changing your sims to never age, at least at first. That will give you time to really develop things without feeling the hand of death creeping after you.

I completely agree that you should change the settings to "never age". I had a character that I spent a bunch of time working on only to have them become an elderly person before I could accomplish everything that I wanted to get done as an adult.

epmode

I've been entirely unable to buy this from Gamersgate for the last two days now. The site won't even ask for a credit card number before the transaction fails.

I've purchased from the site before, too.
Order id: XXXXXX (Order details)

Order status: Pending

Payment method: Paynova Secure Payment (Credit Cards)

This payment will be processed through a secure connection
An error occurred, could not connect to the payment service. Please try again later. We are sorry for the inconvenience

You can make the payment later from "My Account" -> "Order History"
The strange thing is that the site doesn't even give me the option to buy with PayPal, even though this works with just about any other title.

Flavius

Stormwatch said:
I completely agree that you should change the settings to "never age". I had a character that I spent a bunch of time working on only to have them become an elderly person before I could accomplish everything that I wanted to get done as an adult.

Somewhere in the halls of EA, a smarmy programmer is reading your reply and speaking to the soft glow of his computer screen:

"See, my young padawan, I just taught you the meaning of life...with the power of videogames!"

Retro

Flavius said:
Somewhere in the halls of EA, a smarmy programmer is reading your reply and speaking to the soft glow of his computer screen:

"See, my young padawan, I just taught you the meaning of life...with the power of videogames!"

He's too busy watching his solid gold flat screen TV. :lol

So I seem to have found a permanent lock up bug. Trying to marry and move in with another sim, I get "processing" for... well, forever. Going to have to have her move in with me I guess, and then use edit town to get what I want?

Sullen

How do I move into a new house? for some reason the in game lesson to do it makes no sense to me. I have a decent amount of money now and I'd like to move out of the starter house.

You should just be able to go to the computer or the phone and choose "move". An interface will pop up asking you who is moving and letting you pick where you want to move and such.

RayStorm

Ferrio said:
Bought the game. I'm saddened that there really isn't a way to play with very little interference from the player. I'd like to just sit back and see what they do.

Disappointing to hear. I's surprised that this is still not possible.

ltse1

For the "guitar challenge" that requires you to play 10 Parties and Venues...how do I play guitar "officially" at a party? I assume I can only play the parties I throw myself, because neighbors never throw parties...And you can only play the stadium and the theatre right?

Sleeker

vectorman06 said:
What type of business can you have in Sims 3?

Well right now its not very fleshed out, maybe something will change in an expansion pack.

You can 'become a partner' and invest in a local shop, bookstore etc. and go down to collect your weekly cut of the profits.
But you can actually buy the whole place if you have enough money and be able to make more money, change the name of the business and fire sims you don't like.

ltse1 said:
For the "guitar challenge" that requires you to play 10 Parties and Venues...how do I play guitar "officially" at a party?

Just start playing during a party, I think. I satisfied a promised wish to play at a party by doing that, so I assume it worked towards that challenge (though I didn't achieve the challenge ever).

ltse1

platypotamus said:
Just start playing during a party, I think. I satisfied a promised wish to play at a party by doing that, so I assume it worked towards that challenge (though I didn't achieve the challenge ever).

Alright, thanks I'll try it.

Downhome

Downhome said:
My niece has the following laptop:

www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3807

She did the test at the following site:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

And she passed everything other than CPU speed, giving her a speed of the 1.46 GHz mentioned in the title. It is her birthday tomorrow and she really wants this game, but we want to make sure it'll run without any trouble. I told her that it may run way too slow at her current speed.

What say you guys?

The game's pretty tough on the CPU, so I'd be rather hesitant, especially once you consider you're coupling it with the very minimum GPU supported. Can't say I'd recommend it tbh.

larvi

Downhome said:
My niece has the following laptop:

www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3807

She did the test at the following site:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

And she passed everything other than CPU speed, giving her a speed of the 1.46 GHz mentioned in the title. It is her birthday tomorrow and she really wants this game, but we want to make sure it'll run without any trouble. I told her that it may run way too slow at her current speed.

What say you guys?

That website says it has a C2D processor, if that's true I think you will be fine CPU wise. The 2.00Ghz is based on a P4. I slower speed C2D will still outperform a P4. My concern would be memory if you have the stock 1GB. You need a minumum of 2 (1.5 for Vista and .5 extra for integrated graphics).

Proc

I'm loving this game way more than I thought I would. Speaking of bugs though, my neighbours across the road have been standing in their front lawn for the entire game. Two of them are just faced directly toward their house and appear to be stuck :lol Other than that I haven't had any issues. I'm living the dream of a guitar enthusiast, making horrible bank lol.

I thought it was sort of telling that that the first thing I bought my sim was a computer and a desk :lol

Top Bottom