• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

Retro

Sleeker said:
160spdy.png

Yo dawg, we heard you like gaming message boards so we put message boards in your games!

He even looks a little like Xzibit.

Slacker

Anyone know when we can expect to see anything new in the Sims store? I want to spend my stuff on something interesting. Give me a piano and some drums or something. :D

Darklord

Banned
Holy shit. I checked out the Sim store. Are they insane?! $20 for a set of furniture? I could buy a new game for that! And there is 4 sets, $80US! That's not including clothes and hair styles either. What a rip off.

Retro

Slacker said:
Anyone know when we can expect to see anything new in the Sims store? I want to spend my stuff on something interesting. Give me a piano and some drums or something. :D

That'd be the only thing worth saving points for; new objects rather than slightly different versions of objects you already have. I'm not sure how much the mod community can change, but I think being able to add new objects, with specific functions, is beyond their scope.

Darklord said:
Holy shit. I checked out the Sim store. Are they insane?! $20 for a set of furniture? I could buy a new game for that! And there is 4 sets, $80US! That's not including clothes and hair styles either. What a rip off.

Not only that, but all but one of the sets costs more points than the 1000 free points you get for registering the game. And that one set you can afford? It's an ultra-tacky tiki set, which has been a staple of the Sims quirky sensibility since the second expansion of the original game.

So yeah, not only do you have to pay for the ugly stuff that people rarely use (but is a part of what makes the Sims so eccentric), but the nice stuff that you would use costs real money no matter how you cut it.

Oh, did we mention that all of this content was ready to be put into the store before the game went gold? That means the content was done, but was purposely withheld for the purpose of being a Micro transaction later.

Not only that, but several staples of the series (pianos, pool tables, hot tubs, etc) are also noticeably absent from the game's inventories.

Now the good news; The general consensus amongst the Sims community is that this sort of thing won't last long. There aren't that many people who are into the Sims but unaware of the community around it, and those are the only poor saps who would actually pay for that sort of thing. Everybody else is pretty adamant about boycotting EA's attempts to nickel and dime the community that, despite EA's best efforts over the years, has managed to grow quite large.

The Sims community has more people than EA, who are willing to work more hours and are working out of love and creativity rather than for a paycheck. They include modelers, texture artists, and programmers, and much of the work they have done over the years is considered equal to or better than what EA has released.

The Sims Resource's Workshop just announced that Pattern plug-in will be released soon, allowing users to import their own texture patterns into the game. A mesh importer has been previewed.

The bottom line: EA's store is doomed; pretty soon the tools will be up and running, and you'll be able to import custom objects that are equal to or better than the stuff EA is trying to charge you for.

However, as I said above, I don't think vastly functional items like pool tables or drum sets are going to be possible. I would expect those sort of things to be store based, or hopefully expansion-based (because we're actually used to paying $30 every year or so to get double the content, rather than $20 for two dozen items)

The nickel and diming does suck with this game. As mentioned before they seem to have a ton of content available day 1 which makes me believe that it should have just been in the game in the first place. Hopefully they'll include that content in their future expansion packs.

Dead Man

As I said, I won't be getting this for a while, but the mod community is already moving quite nicely. Sims Resource and Mod the Sims both seem to have some decent content up already, and as Retro has said, the tools are on their way. Fuck the EA store!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And well, if you really want them store items... you know where to find them. Just go ask Jack Sparrow!

edgefusion

Does anyone have any idea why my sims won't get into a relationship with each other? They both have max friend bars (or whatever) with each other and are in love, they even live together but I'm not getting any option to get them married or even formally be in a relationship together. I'm getting nervous as my sims are not getting any younger and they have no kids yet! I've just moved from the starter house to a rather luxurious modern mansion type home (near the stadium) and I'd be pretty bummed for them both to die with no offspring.

Also, does anyone else worry what the Sims 3 store is going to do to the mod community? Remember that if a modder uses a mesh not available in your game (For example, they have an expansion you don't) then you can't use that object. It's going to be a nightmare finding objects I can use because any number of the meshes might need to be purchased from the store first.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Do romantic relationships until the Sims become allured. Select Go Steady, and then Propose. You can then go for a private wedding or a party wedding.

Retro

edgefusion said:
Also, does anyone else worry what the Sims 3 store is going to do to the mod community? Remember that if a modder uses a mesh not available in your game (For example, they have an expansion you don't) then you can't use that object. It's going to be a nightmare finding objects I can use because any number of the meshes might need to be purchased from the store first.

First, no clue on your first question about Sim behavior. I haven't even made a Sim yet, haven't even finished a first house I am happy with either.

I would not worry about the store; apparently the game has a built in feature that auto-replaces purchased content with similar built-in content if the creator used something you don't own.

However, I don't think that will affect the community, as the community that matters (i.e. the ones not using EA's slow-ass forums or browsing their greedy-ass shop) won't be dealing with purchased meshes anyways. A subscription to The Sims Resource for an all access account (some content is subscription only, but one subscription enables the entire site) is cheaper in the long run than paying for EA's crap. Let's see; pay the people who host a huge collection of community-created items at their own expense for unlimited downloads.... or pay a notoriously greedy company for a handful of objects.

At the moment though, there's no content out there for Sims 3. I would expect that to change in a month or so.

Dead Man

edgefusion said:
If it is like Sims2, most mod sites will indicate what expansions are needed. Some also let you filter mods. Don't know if it will work the same way with 3, but I don't see why not.

Tailzo

I can't get it to work. I bought the norwegian dvd release. Inserted it into the PC, and it wouldn't load. "Oh, there's a problem with the dvd drive?", so I insert it into one of the other PC's at home. I allow full sharing over the network, and I install it on the first PC via the network.

When I try to play, it says the disk isn't inserted.

Then I think, "Oh, I should change out my dvd drive?"

I change the dvd drive on the first computer. It still doesn't detect the dvd drive. I check bios, and in bios it detects the dvd drive, just not in windows. It's set as slave.

I then try to repair my windows xp installation. After a long wait, I see the problem is still the same. I completely format my c:, and I re-install windows xp yet again. I still can't read the dvd from windows. But bios still detects the drive.

Any tips?

edgefusion

Ookami-kun said:
Do romantic relationships until the Sims become allured. Select Go Steady, and then Propose. You can then go for a private wedding or a party wedding.

So that's the trick, I knew I was doing something wrong but couldn't figure out what. Thanks!

Kabouter

http://i44.tinypic.com/106wrgp.jpg
My first attempt at a house...don't hate. Although any advice on how to not suck would be appreciated.

What is awesome is that it's in a rich-ass neighbourhood, and my guy is making babies with all the married women who live near. Even gave him the fertility treatment thing so he makes more.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
God I'm a dickhead. Created a new Sim specifically revolving around charisma and people's skills.. at one point I have 11 love interests, and 5 children to 4 different women. One of them married.

I'm really enjoying this game. My guy is going through the law enforcement career path because I chose the International Super Spy as my lifetime goal. Still getting used to all the changes since the first game (never played the second one), especially since 90% of my time with the original was spent cheating to get rich and making crazy houses.

Kabouter

speedpop said:
God I'm a dickhead. Created a new Sim specifically revolving around charisma and people's skills.. at one point I have 11 love interests, and 5 children to 4 different women. One of them married.
Nice, I see I have to step it up a notch. I'm up to five children too, but I have three neighbours pregnant right now, and as soon as they give birth I invite them over again to get them pregnant again.

So far Doctor McHobo's Hobo Tower is going nicely. I have four absolutely insane Sims and their lackey. Really enjoying just building an absolutely inane building for them to live in, and chuckling at what the neighbors must think.

The new trait system is really fun.

Kabouter

crowphoenix said:
So far Doctor McHobo's Hobo Tower is going nicely. I have four absolutely insane Sims and their lackey. Really enjoying just building an absolutely inane building for them to live in, and chuckling at what the neighbors must think.

The new trait system is really fun.
Got some pics?

Kabouter

platypotamus said:
I can only assume that those "columns" each contain a neighbor that annoyed your sim, sealed forever inside to help support the house?

(why is that all I can assume?)
I've done that before to be sure, but not this time :p.
The only thing crazy about that house is the fact that the garage bit does in fact not support the top of the house. Only thing connecting the two parts of the house is one staircase :p.

inthezone said:
I have a MacBook Air which actually is the bare minimum to play this game on OSX. Do you think it will run fine enough? i heard the mac version is slightly better...

Im leaving for a...vacation and im allowed to bring a game so i guess this should be it.

Didn't you say no internets at the... vacation? If people are complaining about crashes I'm thinking you don't want a game that needs to be patched as your only one for two three months. Take Street Fighter so you can play with other... vacationers.

speedpop

Kabouter said:
Nice, I see I have to step it up a notch. I'm up to five children too, but I have three neighbours pregnant right now, and as soon as they give birth I invite them over again to get them pregnant again.
Well at least 3 of my girls don't want to have kids. Either that or I need to get married to them to pump out the babies.

I'm considering romancing my son's half-sister.

Kabouter

speedpop said:
I'm considering romancing my son's half-sister.
:lol
My guy now has six kids, and made the mommy of the last one pregnant again. Her husband is now raising three babies that aren't his own lol.

Kabouter

Does alcohol do anything to pregnant women? Because I kinda just saw one of my guy's mistresses getting some alcohol in her at my bar lol.

ananag

Neo Member
My goal was to impregnate every female young adult/adult in Riverside and here is how I did:

10oe7m9.jpg

Success!
Also if you notice, I have a lot of money. I didn't use the money cheat to obtain the money and I never had a job. Instead, I married everyone I could, and moved in with them. I sold everything in their house before kicking them out. And then after kicking them out, I did the same thing again in their new house until I became filthy rich.

Dead Man

ananag said:
My goal was to impregnate every female young adult/adult in Riverside and here is how I did:

http://i40.tinypic.com/10oe7m9.jpg[IMG]

Success!
Also if you notice, I have a lot of money. I didn't use the money cheat to obtain the money and I never had a job. Instead, I married everyone I could, and moved in with them. I sold everything in their house before kicking them out. And then after kicking them out, I did the same thing again in their new house until I became filthy rich.[/QUOTE]
:lol :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Against my better judgment I used EA's DL service to get this. Is there any way to get a real (i.e. PDF) manual? Having skipped 2 I kind of want to read about the game at my leisure without having to fiddle around in-game.

Ryu1999

ananag said:

10oe7m9.jpg

Success!
Also if you notice, I have a lot of money. I didn't use the money cheat to obtain the money and I never had a job. Instead, I married everyone I could, and moved in with them. I sold everything in their house before kicking them out. And then after kicking them out, I did the same thing again in their new house until I became filthy rich.

Holy crap you win :lol :lol :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
speedpop said:
I suppose if you can't find one within the next few hours I could go and scan my manual.
Nah, it's cool. Is it a typically crappy EA manual or is it at least somewhat comprehensive? Steam has "spoiled" me w/r/t having PDF copies of manuals available with DD games.

speedpop

AstroLad said:
Nah, it's cool. Is it a typically crappy EA manual or is it at least somewhat comprehensive? Steam has "spoiled" me w/r/t having PDF copies of manuals available with DD games.
It doesn't really contain much info, just the typical lists of items available in-game as well as descriptions of traits and stuff. You honestly get more information from the game as you play, and that's without even bothering with the pop-up hints to the top right (I always close those).

Gowans

Damn iphone web app crapper out on me

... And played this for three hours straight tonight after tea.

I'm done in as I've had to watch tho it will mean guilt free 360 time for me for the rest of the week YES! ;)

Kabouter

Married one of my mistresses, her brother is now taking care of six of my babies on his own. I can't imagine the hell that would be if that family was actually player controlled :lol

Kabouter said:
Man, that is amazing ananag :lol

I think the most impressive thing is how many of Devil Satan's offsprings are babies currently. Not toddlers or children, just babies. All of those happened within a 3 sim-day period? Really?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Being evil is funny, especailly just minor stuff like "Evil Slumber" or "Wash Hands with Evil Soap". :lol

Does anyone know how you actually steal stuff? I know how to take candy from babies, but haven't managed to do anything more.

Papercuts said:
Being evil is funny, especailly just minor stuff like "Evil Slumber" or "Wash Hands with Evil Soap". :lol

Does anyone know how you actually steal stuff? I know how to take candy from babies, but haven't managed to do anything more.

If you have a "kleptomaniac" when you are on another lot, click anywhere (not an object) and the radial menu will have a "swipe something" option.

NZNova

What's the story on install limits for this game? If I were to install it on my desktop PC, can I also install it on my laptop or am I going to get DRMed?

Papercuts said:

One of my evil character stole her own firepit and laughed manically about it. I found that rather amusing.

edit: and as promised, the hell that is the Hobo Tower.

Screenshot-3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/CrowPhoenix/Screenshot-4.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/CrowPhoenix/Screenshot-2.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/CrowPhoenix/Screenshot.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
platypotamus said:
If you have a "kleptomaniac" when you are on another lot, click anywhere (not an object) and the radial menu will have a "swipe something" option.

Thanks, that worked, though I think you can only take stuff when it's dark out...but wow, my guy stole the neighbor's stove. :lol

I've been going everyday and stealing three things, eventually the house should be completely cleared out.

Sleeker

Papercuts said:
Thanks, that worked, though I think you can only take stuff when it's dark out...but wow, my guy stole the neighbor's stove. :lol

I've been going everyday and stealing three things, eventually the house should be completely cleared out.

Can you then sell the stuff you steal?
I imagine that would be a good way to make some cash.

Top Bottom