• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

Sleeker said:
Can you then sell the stuff you steal?
I imagine that would be a good way to make some cash.

I believe you can. I think I've kept everything, or returned it for the karma boost (you don't have control over what you steal, so sometimes you take something you don't care about). I may not have ever tried selling now that I think about it.

Sleeker

Cool.
I'll make that a trait of my next sim.

Does anyone know how to get the half tiles?
Those triangle shaped ones?
I cant select them manually

Kabouter

platypotamus said:
I think the most impressive thing is how many of Devil Satan's offsprings are babies currently. Not toddlers or children, just babies. All of those happened within a 3 sim-day period? Really?
Maybe he plays on epic? That's what I do.
All my offspring (12) are babies :p.

And wow @ Hobo Tower, that is the craziest building ever :lol

Drakken

For those who have been playing this, how's the music? Are there a bunch of tunes made specifically for the radio stations again? I have no interest in playing this, but I love the music from the past Sims games and am curious to hear what Sims 3's music is like.

Kabouter said:
Maybe he plays on epic? That's what I do.
All my offspring (12) are babies :p.

And wow @ Hobo Tower, that is the craziest building ever :lol

No thanks. Kids are babies/toddlers already for 9 days on the default speed, I couldn't possibly deal with them for longer than that.

OTOH, I imagine the extra time makes it easier to reach the top of a goal/lifetime wish... or does everything take longer too to balance it out?

And yeah, I kind of love Hobo Tower. I think when I save up a bit more cash I'm going to flatten my current house and make something a bit crazier.

Kabouter

platypotamus said:
No thanks. Kids are babies/toddlers already for 9 days on the default speed, I couldn't possibly deal with them for longer than that.
One day wait > buy cake > have birthday party. And your kid's a toddler.

OTOH, I imagine the extra time makes it easier to reach the top of a goal/lifetime wish... or does everything take longer too to balance it out?
No, it's easier, but then it was never very hard to begin with. Only difference now is that I get my lifetime wish out of the way as a pre-teen.

Drakken said:
For those who have been playing this, how's the music? Are there a bunch of tunes made specifically for the radio stations again? I have no interest in playing this, but I love the music from the past Sims games and am curious to hear what Sims 3's music is like.
Great as usual.

Kabouter said:
One day wait > buy cake > have birthday party. And your kid's a toddler.

!!!!

No, it's easier, but then it was never very hard to begin with. Only difference now is that I get my lifetime wish out of the way as a pre-teen.

What the crap? My main sim is halfway through elderhood and is just now finally about to hit the top of his career (it didn't help that he got arrested EVERY SHIFT for a week and a half early on though). His second wife almost got her 13th perfect fish (a few days older than him), though I could have done that much sooner if I had concentrated on it.

His first wife never got anywhere in her career due to maternity leave, and the second one isn't likely to reach the end of hers either. What am I doing wrong?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2eelis8.png

2hmdn5f.jpg

http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/alice-and-kev/

This is awesome. :lol :lol

careksims

CrookedRain said:
I play on Vista x64 and haven't had any problems at all.

Yup. I been playing this game since launch on Vista 64 and not one crash! With all the people complaining about crashes and such, I was expecting it! I was very surprise. I love the game! I just want my Sims Body Shop back!

Kifimbo

The Sims franchise is alive and well.

Millions Embrace The Sims 3 with Biggest Launch Week in Franchise History
More Than 1.4 Million Units Sold and 7 Million Downloads of Player Created Content Within First Week

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced that the hotly anticipated The Sims™ 3, stormed retail shelves starting June 2nd and sold thru more than 1.4 million PC/Mac units within the first week making it the best-selling PC launch in EA’s history. Fan intensity is evidenced through the more than 7 million downloads of player created content including: Sims, houses, stories and more. The Sims 3, also available for download from the Apple App Store for iPhone™ and iPod® touch, shot up to #1 paid app position on launch day and has maintained that spot since launch.

“With more than a dozen press awards, strong reviewer scores and positive feedback from The Sims community, we are thrilled with the success of The Sims 3 launch and the early sales indicate that we have another hit on our hands,” said Rod Humble, Head of the EA Play Label. “The volume of items created with The Sims 3 and downloaded online is a testament to how passionate The Sims players are. It’s their world now, we can’t wait to see everything players create and share.”

“The Sims 3 for the iPhone and iPod touch soared to the number one Top Paid App position in the U.S. Apple App Store in just 18 hours of its launch and reached the number one Top Paid App position in 37 countries worldwide within two days of launch, making it EA Mobile's 3rd game launched at $9.99 to reach the number one Top Paid App position,” said Adam Sussman, VP Worldwide Publishing for EA Mobile™. “The game's sales success along with its strong critical acclaim demonstrates that The Sims 3 mobile experience is a worldwide hit with our customers.”

In The Sims 3 on PC/Mac you can create lifelike Sims with a unique personality and take them anywhere in the neighborhood. The powerful Create-a-Sim tool allows you to create Sims that are more realistic than ever. Select from dozens of personality traits such as brave, artistic, kleptomaniac, clumsy, paranoid and romantic. With Create-a-Sim, you can create a limitless number of truly unique Sims. The Sims 3 allows for infinite possibilities to design the interior and exterior of your Sims’ surroundings using the Create-a-style feature. Additionally, you can enjoy the challenge of short-term and long-term goals and then reap the rewards! Based on personality traits, skills and career choices, your Sims have short and long term Wishes that provide constant fun challenges and so many things to do and achieve. You have the ultimate freedom to choose whether to fulfill their destiny, giving them lifetime happiness and rewards or not! Register your copy of The Sims 3 for PC and Mac at www.TheSims3.com to enjoy the robust online and community features unique to your game including an all-new town called Riverview that you can download for no additional charge once you register*. You will also gain access to 1,000 SimPoints to purchase items from The Sims 3 Store to customize your Sims’ appearance and houses in all-new ways. Be the director of your Sims’ movies by capturing clips during your gameplay, visiting the official site, and editing the soundtrack, story, and transitions, then share it with the world. See what you can create with The Sims 3.

For more information about The Sims 3, please visit www.TheSims3.com. Developed by The Sims Studio, The Sims 3 is rated T for Teen by the ESRB, PEGI 12+, and USK 0. The game is available now for purchase at retail and digitally at http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/ContentTheme/pbPage.the_sims3/ThemeID.718200. The Sims 3 is available globally from Apple’s App Store on iPhone and iPod touch, or at www.itunes.com/appstore/. The game also is available for purchase, globally, from wireless carriers for feature phones. For information on carrier availability and pricing for all EA Mobile games, please visit www.eamobile.com. To download artwork, please visit www.info.ea.com.

* INTERNET CONNECTION required. See product pack or digital distribution rules for details.

Tiamatsword22 said:
Has anyone had problems with playing this on vista? I'm just wondering if I should wait for a patch before i get this.

Lots of problems. Vista 64 Ultimate. Im running it in an excellent computer that can handle crysis in the highest settings. It also can run the Sims 3 in highest settings without problem...
but every x time (if I use the high settings) it will crash my game. You can play perfectly 4 hours straight, or maybe only 10 minutes. You know if its going to crash if you go to build mode and the choosing menu goes black (you can still click things, but you can see where are you clicking).
Worse thing. If it goes to crash mode (before crashing) and you try to save it, the best thing it can say is that you can save because it has (nº) problem. You cant save so you have to exit the game.
Worse case scenario. That while you are saving your game, it crashes. IT ERASES ALL YOUR GAME!

I was playing an excellent game, best game I had in a Sim game ever. Had the final job at the news, got all the stats up, lots of money, going to get married, lots of hours were put in that game. I was saving every time i accomplished something (so if it crashes I could start again with my last save), before knowing that if it crashes while saving it erases your game. So BAM! All my worked erased.

At least working with predifined settings doesnt crash it. At least for now.

Zzoram

Is The Sims 3 limited to 1 computer install? Or can you put it on 2 if you have more than 1 PC (laptop and desktop) that you play games on?

Slacker

Zzoram said:
Is The Sims 3 limited to 1 computer install? Or can you put it on 2 if you have more than 1 PC (laptop and desktop) that you play games on?
I haven't tried it yet, but the word is there's no "phoning home" or anything to the install, just entering the CD key, so it should work fine. I might try it on my laptop just for kicks.

Ranger X

ananag said:
Also if you notice, I have a lot of money. I didn't use the money cheat to obtain the money and I never had a job. Instead, I married everyone I could, and moved in with them. I sold everything in their house before kicking them out. And then after kicking them out, I did the same thing again in their new house until I became filthy rich.

Jesus Christ, this game is a perfect simulation of America!? wow.

Darklord

Banned
Where are the sims you import into the game? I downloaded 3 player made sims off the exchange, installed them but I haven't seen any. Not playable, not around town, no where.

Antagon

Some pics of my house:

2rcr6rt.jpg

vsck14.jpg

2hg8mbo.jpg

Started with a cheap house in Riverview and have been improving it since. Got the most normal family you can actually think off, need to do something weirder when I start a new family.

Darklord

Banned
I get some scrolling lag on my i7 920, 6gb, 260gtx on max @ 1080p. I'm not sure what FPS I get though. I don't really mind though seeing as like...every single Sims game I've played has it.

Antagon

Zzoram said:
I read a performance review that found that The Sims 3 requires 80fps average to be a smooth experience. Apparently any lower, and there is a lot of annoying scrolling lag.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=832&p=5

Can anyone on GAF verify?

From what I can tell, the slowdown is mainly caused by loading. It doesn't really have a lot to do with settings from what I can tell, except maybe the high detail lots.

I'm getting around 80-90 fps on an e8400, hd4850 at 1680x1050 with everything maxed except for high detail lots (which is at 4).

Zzoram

Darklord said:
I get some scrolling lag on my i7 920, 6gb, 260gtx on max @ 1080p. I'm not sure what FPS I get though. I don't really mind though seeing as like...every single Sims game I've played has it.

Apparently if you turn down High Detail Lots, Animation Smoothing and Edge Smoothing, it makes a pretty big difference and can reduce or eliminate scrolling lag. Edge Smoothing is anti-ailiasing, and Animation Smoothing is unclear, but targetted at really high end machines. High Detail Lots determines how many lots around you are rendered at the highest detail. Think of it like loading zones around you in Oblivion.

The improvements in my gf's rig by adding 2GB of RAM were huge! Now she has 4GB and it's really smooth. (1280x1024, all set to max)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The beauty behind Sims is that the only thing determining your enjoyment of the game is your imagination - for the most part.

I did the money cheat and built my own mansion. The only problem is it's so bloody big that it takes me an hour in game-time to walk from the kitchen to the bathroom.

Retro

speedpop said:
I did the money cheat and built my own mansion. The only problem is it's so bloody big that it takes me an hour in game-time to walk from the kitchen to the bathroom.

We need moving sidewalks and/or a Resident Evil-style subway system.

Well, my gf just bought the Sims 3 and of course now she wants to install and play it. Of course let me preface by saying that my PC dates back from 2004, so it has a whopping 512mb ram. Certainly not enough to run the game... apparently not even enough to install it before it errors out. In an attempt to fix this I pulled out some spare ram from a machine I was ready to throw out. Well, now my PCs fried and i have no more spare ram. Blarg. This just happened... i'm venting... sorry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Any word on whether EA will dump this on Steam? I know they want the hit of sales without giving Valve a cut, but all those people have their copies now.

For what I've played of it it has been terrific, except for my PC's (before formatting at least...hopefully) infallible capability of crashing constantly and randomly, especially in Buy and Build mode for some reason.

Anyhow, this world outside your house is such a splendid addition. I plan on having my sims live in other people's homes and sporadically try to burn them down. Is there a cheat for removing other people's stuff? Such as smoke detectors?

VibratingDonkey said:
For what I've played of it it has been terrific, except for my PC's (before formatting at least...hopefully) infallible capability of crashing constantly and randomly, especially in Buy and Build mode for some reason.

Lower the specs. That works for me. I had the same problems as you. Strange as my computer runs smoothly the game in the highest settings, but randomly it kicks out of the game. You can play for 6 hours without a problem, or maybe kicks you out in 10 minutes.
The worst thing if it kicks you out while you are saving your game. It erases all your data.

Needs a patch ASAP.

Sleeker

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Lower the specs. That works for me. I had the same problems as you. Strange as my computer runs smoothly the game in the highest settings, but randomly it kicks out of the game. You can play for 6 hours without a problem, or maybe kicks you out in 10 minutes.
The worst thing if it kicks you out while you are saving your game. It erases all your data.

Needs a patch ASAP.

I've had that too.
Just building up career and developing my house and then I'm staring at my wallpaper.

I made a couple of families inserted them into the game and got ready to play out my own story. So I'm playing with just the one family at first, we throw a party and get ready to invite some people over. There are 2 Radzinkys in my phonebook even though I just made 1. I invite them both over and when the party ends they end up leaving together. So I go over to my Sim Ivan's place for the first time and there is this other Radzinsky guy there. I thought they must be gay lovers or something but how did it happen? I go through Ivan's relationship info and it turns out this other guy is his teenage son!

Where did this kid come from? Ivan has no wife or girlfriend, he doesn't have one good relationship with a woman. Did he steal the kid as a baby from his neighbors? He has the klepto trait.

Sleeker

VelvetMouth said:
I made a couple of families inserted them into the game and got ready to play out my own story. So I'm playing with just the one family at first, we throw a party and get ready to invite some people over. There are 2 Radzinkys in my phonebook even though I just made 1. I invite them both over and when the party ends they end up leaving together. So I go over to my Sim Ivan's place for the first time and there is this other Radzinsky guy there. I thought they must be gay lovers or something but how did it happen? I go through Ivan's relationship info and it turns out this other guy is his teenage son!

Where did this kid come from? Ivan has no wife or girlfriend, he doesn't have one good relationship with a woman. Did he steal the kid as a baby from his neighbors? He has the klepto trait.

:lol :lol
funny

Kabouter

VelvetMouth said:

Adoption?

epmode

VelvetMouth said:
I'm almost positive that this can happen. I remember reading about it in a preview.

Meier

Tiamatsword22 said:
Has anyone had problems with playing this on vista? I'm just wondering if I should wait for a patch before i get this.
It froze up on my girlfriend once and she hadn't saved in awhile... she hasn't played since because it was so frustrating for her. I am very surprised that EA didn't incorporate an autosave feature where it did it every day or something. Going out of your way to save is something a lot of casual gamers likely don't even think about.

Other than that, no issues.

Windu said:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2eelis8.png

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2hmdn5f.jpg

[url]http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/alice-and-kev/[/url]

This is awesome. :lol :lol[/QUOTE]
Poor Alice.

Sims 3 is awesome. It's amazing to watch your sims just do their own thing this time around. Two of my sims get in pelting matches with the football. It's hilarious to watch. They're also fond of getting into arguments with the mailbox.

Kabouter said:
Adoption?

It blows my mind if he did adopt it. I never knew Sims would act so autonomously if left to their own devices.

I'm almost positive that this can happen. I remember reading about it in a preview.

I wonder how many people made themselves some perverted Austrian Sims who have a whole basement full of stolen children. :lol

Kabouter

VelvetMouth said:
I wonder how many people made themselves some perverted Austrian Sims who have a whole basement full of stolen children. :lol
Is an attic full of adult neighbours also okay?

Kabouter

VelvetMouth said:
:lol do they ever make it out alive?
Well, they haven't died yet...
I'm gonna release them though, was just an experiment, there really isn't much of a point to keeping them there.

Ferrio

Banned
Bought the game. I'm saddened that there really isn't a way to play with very little interference from the player. I'd like to just sit back and see what they do. Unfortunately for my sim, doing this only results in him making funny faces in a mirror and watching TV. This means even ignoring really important things like that broken shower.

Top Bottom