• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
dskillzhtown said:
To get all the good stuff, you will need a good PC, like Sims 2. I upgraded my PC before and then all these new animations were available to me.

Its quite cool how a game that has to target quite low base hardware is capable of scaling to modern hardware, the graphics are also pretty damn nice all things considered. Its quad optimised as well, so an all around good effort on the behalf of the programmers I reckon, they could have quite easily have gotten away with much less.

My preorder will be ready to download on Friday, I was quite tempted but wasn't ready to pay the £35 asked on gamersgate. When I saw g2play were selling codes for EA's Store at £19.50 I decided to jump on it, that's half the price EA themselves charge afterall. I'm quite looking forward to trying the game out as I've never played a Sims game since the original base game was released.

mr stroke

anyone playing this on an old rig? I want to pick this up for the wife but she has a laptop(dual core, 3gig, Intel integrated card)

does the game scale well for shitty systems and laptops?

Juice

Slacker said:
Zomg my first official thread. :D I'll try to update the OP with some more info tonight.

FYI, wander around the Sims Store a little bit, there are a number of free items, including the Prius car, a few shirts, and a couple other things.

:lol, I actually thought this was a new thread. I thought "how the hell did this get to be five pages when my updates were the only thing keeping this off page 6 yesterday?"

brain_stew said:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...nchmarks-and-new-quality-comparison/Practice/

Some CPU benchmarks, maybe worth adding to the op.

It seems the game is quite a CPU hog, so that's something to be weary about for those running older hardware, a dual core processor is basically a minimum requirement it seems.

I've installed this on OS X and on Windows Vista 32-bit on my MBP, and it is FAR, FAR snappier with highest settings on OS X my unibody MBP.

FPS wasn't a huge amount higher on the MBP, but the interface was really laggy under Vista.

mr stroke

mr stroke said:
Well shit, so much for running this on a laptop:lol

I thought they were trying to keeps specs low so people can run this on old machines?

Well that's at max settings and it scales an awful lot and since it seems that the CPU is the key and you're well specced in that area you may be OK. I'd wait for reports though. All those graphs tell you is that single core play is a no-no, they don't benchmark different GPUs, only CPUS.

An Intel X3100 is mentioned in the requirements so its should run if you've got a modern Intel integrated chipset which in actuality aren't at all as terrible in terms of performance as their forebears, the problem comes with drivers and developer support which can turn compatability and performance to utter shit. Since the Sims has specifically targetted Intel hardware in this case that's not an issue so there's some sort of hope anyway.

What Intel graphics chip does the laptop have?

dskillzhtown said:
Car??? I need to jump on that store when I get home.

I got the car (installed, not owned by sim yet), and the town, but I didn't know there was anything else free. I clicked the "free stuff" link and it went to wallpapers. Grrr. I wish there was a way to show all free shit.

mr stroke

brain_stew said:
Well that's at max settings and it scales an awful lot and since it seems that the CPU is the key and you're well specced in that area you may be OK. I'd wait for reports though. All those graphs tell you is that single core play is a no-no, they don't benchmark different GPUs, only CPUS.

An Intel X3100 is mentioned in the requirements so its should run if you've got a modern Intel integrated chipset which in actuality aren't at all as terrible in terms of performance as their forebears, the problem comes with drivers and developer support which can turn compatability and performance to utter shit. Since the Sims has specifically targetted Intel hardware in this case that's not an issue so there's some sort of hope anyway.

What Intel graphics chip does the laptop have?

M4500

mr stroke said:

Should be fine then, the 4500 series was a pretty big upgrade over the x3100 which is mentioned in the requirements so yeah, its a goer. Go enjoy some Sims. :D

Edit: For anyone after the game for cheap and don't mind dealing with EA's download manager, G2 Play are selling retail codes (which can be activated through EADM) for 22 Euros/ $29. Mice came straight away as have all my past purchases from these guys. EA's store isn't upto par with Steam and I don't know if you're guaranteed unlimited future downloads but since you're free to make as many backups of the downloaded data as you please and can install from that just fine it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Decent option considering there's no Steam release. My code is activated and just waiting for the game to unlock and download on the UK release this Friday.

http://www.g2play.net/store/The-Sims-3-EA-Download-Manager.html

Juice said:
Sounds like people should be posting URLs to free shit in this thread.

Agreed, I nominate Slacker to update the OP. All in favor?

Unrelated question, is there a way to handle entire stacks of groceries at once? I stocked up buying 5 of each item I had recipes for, and when I went to move them into the fridge, I could only move one item from each stack at a time. Please tell me there's an easy way to move them into the fridge?

dskillzhtown

mr stroke said:
Well shit, so much for running this on a laptop:lol

I thought they were trying to keeps specs low so people can run this on old machines?

I am running it on a entry level compaq laptop with no problems. You have to turn some things down in the settings, but it still looks good. I plan on upgrading my desktop later. When I do that I will install it to the desktop to get the uber graphics. But for now, this is fine.

dskillzhtown

Juice said:
Sounds like people should be posting URLs to free shit in this thread.

I looked through the entire deal, you gets 2 free shirts and a Prius.

I went into the Exchange, where people make stuff, and there is already a bunch of furniture and clothes in there for free.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
damn this game is addicting. I lost track of time, played for about 5 hours. lol

starsky

This game is great, just like its predecessors! Though now I have to wait patiently until some people create mods for the game.

grrr I want mine to come today!

my rig is a e6850 c2d @ 3ghz and a 280gtx so judging by that pc cpu guide I should average around 60 fps (my e6850 a little better than the e6600 (by about 600mhz) but a little worse than the e8400 (smaller l2 cache), and no I don't overclock anything.)

i wanna ride this rig till diablo 3 so for almost 2 years old im pretty happy with it.

focusing on the cpu imo was smart of them, almost everything comes with a dual core nowadays.

peetfeet

mr stroke said:
anyone playing this on an old rig? I want to pick this up for the wife but she has a laptop(dual core, 3gig, Intel integrated card)

does the game scale well for shitty systems and laptops?

it runs fine on my laptop (Core 2 Duo T5800 2GHz 3GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 8200 Vista Home Premium), a couple of settings turned down but nothing major.

Kabouter

Squash said:
Hair selection is lackluster. =/
Content selection in general is subpar, it's painfully obvious they held back to save room for DLC and add-ons. Despite that though, the base game is so so good, that I'm still having a ton of fun.

Kabouter said:
Content selection in general is subpar, it's painfully obvious they held back to save room for DLC and add-ons.

yeah but thats sims for you, I dont think ill sims store anything (unless it adds actual engine/gameplay functionality, not just blue hair)

Dabanton

The PC is all prepped for this. I told my GF i'd go out and get for her tomorrow and install it before she gets in from work. She said that was the most romantic thing i've ever said.:lol

Zzoram

How fun is this game? Is it definitively better than The Sims 2? How do jobs work in this game, do you just get whisked away and do your job offscreen?

Zzoram said:
How fun is this game? Is it definitively better than The Sims 2? How do jobs work in this game, do you just get whisked away and do your job offscreen?

from what ive read a fully expansioned up sims 2 > than just sims 3 in terms of content, however having a full city now at all times makes the dynamics for the world have much more potential.

a better question is which is a better base game The Sims 2 (no xps) or The Sims 3 (no xps). From what has been posted id guess its just a lack of hottubs, and a bit of nickel and diming on the sims store?

Zzoram

I won't buy this until it's on Steam. I bought Spore retail, then it came out on Steam after, and I was pissed. No way I'm buying any expansions for Spore now. I prefer all my games be from Steam for maximum convenience, and I'll wait a few months for it if I must.

dock

I've never played a Sims game before, but I decided to pre-order this on a whim for its UK release. Is there any advise of how I should or shouldn't play this game if I'm going to get the most enjoyment from it?

Retro

The hacker / mod community over at the Sims Resource (www.thesimsresource.com) is hard at work at an open source custom content tool that will allow players to import custom meshes. This is pretty important given that The Sims has always been a creative community-driven franchise. There wouldn't be half as many people playing today were it not for the content that people have created and shared.

On that front, I would expect custom content to be available before the end of the month, assuming they don't run into any problems. You can read all about it here; http://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop.

TSR has been hosting a live chat, and people have been talking about the project quite a bit; they have made it very clear that they will not be hacking EA-made Store items, but there's nothing to stop intrepid modelers from making "very similar items" and sharing them. Read between the lines, and the mod community is basically going to ensure that EA's will have to really push to make their items worth the price, instead of just slapping crap on there and forcing people to go through them if they want anything decent.

The mod community has a history of making much better content than EA does, so for anyone holding out because they don't want to pay for half a game and get nickel-and-dime'd on content, you won't be waiting long.

Slacker

Updated the OP with a few of the freebies in the store (I'll go through the clothes here in a bit). If you guys see worthy stuff in the Exchange let me know and I'll add that too.

I sent a Sim out for a jog last night. Very cool! Really makes you appreciate the openness of the world compared to the previous games.

Crateman

vectorman06 said:
Has anyone tried Sims 3 for the iphone/ipod touch yet?

My sister was playing that yesterday. She complained about how ridiculously frequent it crashes. Graphics are quite impressive... if you don't mind playing the game at 15fps :/

I would hold on 'till a patch is released.

dskillzhtown

Crateman said:
My sister was playing that yesterday. She complained about how ridiculously frequent it crashes. Graphics are quite impressive... if you don't mind playing the game at 15fps :/

I would hold on 'till a patch is released.

Tell her to do a hard reset of her phone. If that doesn't work, do it again. I had problems initially, but after a hard reset, everything worked fine.

Retro said:
The hacker / mod community over at the Sims Resource (www.thesimsresource.com) is hard at work at an open source custom content tool that will allow players to import custom meshes. This is pretty important given that The Sims has always been a creative community-driven franchise. There wouldn't be half as many people playing today were it not for the content that people have created and shared.

On that front, I would expect custom content to be available before the end of the month, assuming they don't run into any problems. You can read all about it here; http://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop.

TSR has been hosting a live chat, and people have been talking about the project quite a bit; they have made it very clear that they will not be hacking EA-made Store items, but there's nothing to stop intrepid modelers from making "very similar items" and sharing them. Read between the lines, and the mod community is basically going to ensure that EA's will have to really push to make their items worth the price, instead of just slapping crap on there and forcing people to go through them if they want anything decent.

The mod community has a history of making much better content than EA does, so for anyone holding out because they don't want to pay for half a game and get nickel-and-dime'd on content, you won't be waiting long.

Excellent, stuff like this is why I love the PC platform, people will always find ways to expand upon a game and make overpriced DLC irrelevant. If it pushes up the quality of the paid DLC then everyone's a winner, I've no problem paying for content that is meaty and well priced and doesn't split an online community.

Crateman

dskillzhtown said:
Tell her to do a hard reset of her phone. If that doesn't work, do it again. I had problems initially, but after a hard reset, everything worked fine.

I told her to do exactly the same and it was still busted. :/

Retro said:
*snip*
Sounds great. Was worrying about EA making user generated content needlessly difficult and microtransacting the whole thing to death. Kudos to the people working on this project. Sticking it to the man.

dskillzhtown

Crateman said:
I told her to do exactly the same and it was still busted. :/

Hmmm...I heard also a re-download would fix things up too. She can try that. I can feel her on the frustrations. Mine was crashing everytime I did something good.

Retro

dock said:
I've never played a Sims game before, but I decided to pre-order this on a whim for its UK release. Is there any advise of how I should or shouldn't play this game if I'm going to get the most enjoyment from it?

TLDR Version: There really is no right way to play the Sims.

Some people love making complex, interesting Sims and then engineering their life. They purposely play the game hands-on to build a character as realistically as possible.

Then there are people who make complex, interesting sims, but let them go off on their own and watch. In this way, it's sort of like a voyeur / ant farm type game; sometimes there's a great deal of fun to be had with minimal prodding, watching your Insane Klepto sim run around town stealing peoples' magazines or lawn gnomes.

There are people who make Sims with the express purpose of telling a story or even making a movie (since Sims2, the game has come with built-in video capture), and then sharing that tale with others. In this way, it can be a Storytelling / Machinima game.

Sims3 has added a lot of new collecting aspects to the game; you can now hunt for seeds, minerals, fish, and insects, so it's kind of channeling Animal Crossing.

There are people (like me) who crack open the game, skip making a sim, and just start building shit. We start getting ideas watching the Home and Garden network, and usually foam at the mouth looking for custom objects or build features.

For example, the game shipped without spiral stairs, Hot tubs or pool tables. Those last two have been shipped with every single Sims game to date, so their absence is particularly concerning. Also, you can't use Create-a-Style on stairs, fences, or chimneys. Fences so far are pretty good, but the stairs are pretty much poorly textured, so I'm looking forward to somebody hacking that feature in (or at least putting together some customized stair objects soon).

I haven't even played a sim past the tutorial, I've spent all my time trying out build mode and seeing what I can come up with. Here's a few rough examples (just me experimenting, deleted the houses these are based on).

http://i40.tinypic.com/sc75no.jpg
(Yes, I totally am ripping off the Villa from Castlevania 64, except of course, not being able to put plants up on the terraced floor).

http://i40.tinypic.com/20t3u5w.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2w32h02.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2i91209.jpg
(early attempt at sunken floors, you have to enter a cheat code o remove floor constraints, and even then it's not very visible / worth the headache. Also, early experimenting with Create-a-Style).

http://i43.tinypic.com/2yoo9at.jpg

So really, just do whatever comes naturally. Make Sims with insane personalities and watch them clash, build a cool ass house, simulate yourself, make a few movies, maybe just put together some sims and kill them off in really interesting ways.

brain_stew said:
Excellent, stuff like this is why I love the PC platform, people will always find ways to expand upon a game and make overpriced DLC irrelevant. If it pushes up the quality of the paid DLC then everyone's a winner, I've no problem paying for content that is meaty and well priced and doesn't split an online community.

TLDR Version: The mod community is going to make EA sorry they released the game with over $50 worth of DLC to buy before the game even shipped.

Yeah. EA is not gonna get away with charging people $10 for a slightly different looking set of furniture, especially not when create-a-style allows you to really make any object (with the exception of aforementioned stairs, fences, and chimneys) match everything else. I was pleasantly surprised with how detailed you can create things; I made some amazing rugs last night.

If EA wants to charge for stuff that behaves differently, rather than looks differently, that's fine. If they make 500 cabinets that all look the same, but have different knobs, they can fuck right off. But if they want to make content that expands the game nicely, that's awesome. For example, the gnome crafting table in the original Sims was fun, added a new way to make money, and was quirky enough that you really wanted to have one.

Color swaps aren't gonna fly, but if they want to add items that have new functions, that's fine. At this point, I would be willing to pay a few sim points for a fucking pool table, even though I feel jipped not getting one by default. Still like Arcade games too.

The custom content I am most looking forward to is a way to add your own pictures as paintings and posters. The selection of paintings in the Sims games are always progressed retardedly ; hamster painting > hula girl > tiger > $5000 stilllife > $10,000 portrait. I always make it a point to put movie posters in for my man caves....

I need my game room elements first though. Pool table, pinball machine, arcade machines... at least there are decent bars to start off in Sims3.

The_Inquisitor said:
I'm thinking of picking this up for my sister w/ her new laptop. Is it decent guys?

If it's a new laptop, it should run ok. A few people in the TSR Chat yesterday were having issues with their laptops, but I think they were trying to get it to run on older computers. If she meets the minimum specs, she should be fine.

dskillzhtown

VibratingDonkey said:
Sounds great. Was worrying about EA making user generated content needlessly difficult and microtransacting the whole thing to death. Kudos to the people working on this project. Sticking it to the man.

Have you been to "The Exchange" on Sims3.com? There is alot of free stuff on there already. In the past alot of TSR stuff ended up in The Exchange also. It is going to be interesting to see how EA handles this. I mean, are you going to have a ton of free stuff sitting right next to a ton of paid content?

I would handle it this way, branded stuff like IKEA, ecko, GE, etc. would be paid, but generic stuff would be free. That would leave open Home Depot branded decks and grills or a GM Volt you can buy.

Dragnet

Any word on how this runs on a MacBook? I heard it doesn't run too bad on the XM1300, surprisingly.

I have a 2.2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gigs of RAM and of course the bog standard XM1300. Thanks!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Zzoram said:
I won't buy this until it's on Steam. I bought Spore retail, then it came out on Steam after, and I was pissed. No way I'm buying any expansions for Spore now. I prefer all my games be from Steam for maximum convenience, and I'll wait a few months for it if I must.
You can add non-steam games to steam bro.

Christ.

Its barely a convenience thing anyways. Its actually more convenient to launch from desktop. Hit the "show desktop" button, then double click on some shit.

EA has their own download manager if you're worried about patches.

Retro

dskillzhtown said:
Have you been to "The Exchange" on Sims3.com? There is alot of free stuff on there already. In the past alot of TSR stuff ended up in The Exchange also. It is going to be interesting to see how EA handles this. I mean, are you going to have a ton of free stuff sitting right next to a ton of paid content?

I would handle it this way, branded stuff like IKEA, ecko, GE, etc. would be paid, but generic stuff would be free. That would leave open Home Depot branded decks and grills or a GM Volt you can buy.

All of the Exchange stuff so far are create-a-style versions of built-in objects, as there is currently no way to add custom meshes to the game. Every object you see on there that's free? You can make that yourself. Same goes for all of the houses, hairs, and clothes.

The Sims, despite having a great community, is also notorious for having 5000 re-colored clones of the same mesh. There's also people who will download a mesh, subtly change it, and claim it as their own. That sort of thing is already happening on the Exchange; there's a few people who put some really awesome houses on there, and people cloned them and put their names on them to take credit.

On the other hand, The Sims Resource, despite requiring a subscription for the better stuff, polices their content to make sure crap isn't just being thrown around. If you want hundreds upon thousands of same-looking recolors, The Exchange is exactly where that sort of thing is going to happen.

I would not expect to see any custom meshes on there; you'll need to go to The Sims Resource for that, as I don't think EA will want the awesome free stuff people have built competing with their sub-par recolor jobs that cost real money.

Dead Man

I'm going to wait a few months for this. Patches plus mod availability need to be finalised for me. I'll just pick up a few eps for 2 at $5 each to hold me over.

Top Bottom