• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

Clevinger said:
have you tried gamersgate?

Holy shit Sims 3 is on gamersgate. Was totally ignorant of that. They never take my one card, but they usually take my other, so that should work out. Thanks!

Edit: purchase successful. Now it can download while I'm at work Tuesday.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Vinci said:
3rd post nailed it. Why is this thread two pages long?
We're hijacking this thread and turning it into the "official" Sims 3 thread. Sims is so big it doesn't even need that tacked on "official" crap.

SRG01

Clevinger said:
I don't think Fallout 3 even had a CD-Key.

FO3's CD key is only needed for Live connectivity. And on that note, Securom is one of the most benign systems out there.

Retro

speedpop said:
We're hijacking this thread and turning it into the "official" Sims 3 thread. Sims is so big it doesn't even need that tacked on "official" crap.

Pretty much this. I looked for a Sims 3 thread and this was the most recent I found, so.. yeah. If a mod wants to come in and change this to the official Sims 3 thread, that'd clear things up nicely. :lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At least the babysitters aren't as annoying as Nannies. Although sadly, unlike Nannies, they only come once a day instead of automatically following your schedule.

Dante

FWIW they are still hiring animators..Although it could be for expansion packs....Actually that's prob what it's for.l

Slacker

I'll add some info to the OP to make this a semi-official thread. Any passing mods care to change the title? Also, if anyone wants to post OP-like into, I'll C&P it in there.

JDS 1977

Banned
Bought the collectors edition today for the wife. Anyone else not get the clip for the key chain usb drive?

Every pic of it looks like this
3251949210_39ccab358d.jpg

but I don't see the clip thing in my box. Did they cheap out on us or is mine just missing?

(Edit)

I found it! Instead of being anywhere near the usb drive. it was buried under where the dvd case was halfway under the cardboard flap of where the empty space is.

Figured I'd leave this post in case anyone else panics like I did.

Juice

Can't believe this is already slipping to the third page.

Talking about games > watching people play games at E3 > actual games confirmed.

Anyway, just picked up a copy. Excited to try it out.

Anyone have any idea whether Sims 3 would perform better on a high-end MBP in OS X w/ 4GB of RAM than under 32-bit Windows (w/ only 3GB accessible)?

Juice

Dammit. I hate EA. I just installed, patched, downloaded and installed content for, booted up, and watched the intro...

and then...

It tells me that my disc can't be validated and that I should call customer support, before it quit out.

DANDY.

Aponi

Juice, did you get it straightened out? I need to know whether or not to brace myself for disappointment when I get home this evening.

Juice

Aponi said:
Juice, did you get it straightened out? I need to know whether or not to brace myself for disappointment when I get home this evening.

Sorry for not updating. I just had to take the disc out, swear at it, touch a hot stove three times, and then put the disc back in.

Worked the second time.

Pretty fun so far, but like usual with each new Sims game, I spend the first four hours in frustration with the creator and/or buying objects. Seems to take two or three calendar days before I'm playing the real game.

deadbeef

I've never played The Sims but Ive been wanting to check it out. Sounds fun. Is it something I can relax and play while I'm doing other stuff?

Anyone played this one yet?

Really like what I'm seeing so far. Made a quick family of three sisters (bookish, sporty, and computer geek) and they are all behaving much more inline with how I would expect relative to Sims 2. The character creation tool is also much more fun to tool around with now that you can do so much more with the eyes and cloth colorations. My only concern so far is the Sims 3 store's prices and what the store's exsistence means in terms of user content (although I haven't read up on that at all).

Left it downloading this morning before I left for work. Gamer's Gate's time estimate made puts completion right around the time I'll get home. :D

Juice

Biggest difference so far is that Sims left to their own devices will actually do the things you want them to and not just sit on the couch all day.

Juice said:
Biggest difference so far is that Sims left to their own devices will actually do the things you want them to and not just sit on the couch all day.

Mine always used to go get snacks from the fridge, annoying the crap out of me because I wanted to efficiently feed the whole house with a served meal.

Juice

platypotamus said:
Mine always used to go get snacks from the fridge, annoying the crap out of me because I wanted to efficiently feed the whole house with a served meal.

The new best thing is how easy it is to zip zoom in your house to other buildings in the neighborhood. Sent my wife's sim down to the library to read, but didn't have any problem switching back and forth to my sim at the house.

1 hour left on my download. Guess I'll grab some dinner and watch some TV. Gamer's Gate doesn't have a manual for me to ready while I wait, am I missing anything good there?

Picked up the Sims 3 today. I was all excited. The sun was shining. Ii was a beautiful day. Went home, popped the disk in, and set about installing it. As it was installing, a storm blew in, and knocked the power out.

It was near done, so the launcher is on the desktop, but I can't run the game, delete it, or reinstall it.

I suppose, I'll call EA tomorrow.

jgwhiteus

Picked this up today - was holding off until the DRM / SecuROM issues were confirmed either way (for the disc, seems to be straight serial code install / no SecuROM, which is what I prefer). I've gone through the create-a-Sim portions and started playing, and so far it's feeling a little clunky and takes some getting used to (even more tabs and windows than in the Sims 2), but I think it'll get better as I get farther in.

Definitely take the game's advice and restart if you change any of the graphics options - thought the game was broken at first because I didn't restart and the graphics were going crazy in create-a-Sim mode.

I'm not so wild about the "look" of the Sims at the moment - face-wise they somehow look more childish (?) than their Sims 2 counterparts - rounder faces, baby-doll eyes, etc. Also, the men's hair choices are pretty bad; I'm hoping the modding community figures out how to change meshes fast. But the in-game customization of things like hair color, eye color, clothing patterns, etc. is great.

So far I like the personality traits options, and I like how the lifetime goals change depending upon which set of traits you pick, though I'm not sure how many career paths there are. Haven't really seen anything yet to distinguish it that much gameplay-wise from the Sims 2, but I'll wait until I can see how the personality traits / neighborhood aspect work out.

Aponi

I also had some trouble getting the game to install, it kept getting stuck reading a couple of .htm files, but it eventually finished installing after about 3 restarts of the installation process.

I created a single sim to start, figuring I didn't want to get overwhelmed by managing them considering how overwhelming creating her was. I'm a little disappointed that the town seems to not have many vacant lots for house building, but I think that was partly because I was in the tutorial/start up mode.

It does feel like the characters have more time to do tasks than they did before. My flirty daredevil, athletic chick managed to get to athletic level 3 (maybe 4, I don't remember) in 2 1/2 hours of playing. She got one promotion and a permanent raise in that amount of time as well. Being able to select what attitude the Sim has at work is a nice touch, I'm not too sad that I can't see her twiddling her thumbs in the break room or socializing. One unexpected nice feature is that the car pool zooms up to get her wherever she is currently, so I didn't have to make her run home from the gym to get to work on time.

The lack of observation at other community lots is more frustrating. Sending a young, single, flirty daredevil into a bar after work should result in her coming out with at least one phone number/new contact, but no such luck.

I fiddled around with the house building briefly and it looks fun and complicated. My biggest annoyance so far is the fact that I can't copy/paste colors from one item type to another. I gave the house a river stone foundation, but then had to try to recreate that same color combination on the floor of the porch. On top of that the lighting was bad even during the day, so I couldn't really tell if the things looked right together or not. I think that just means I need to be more detail oriented/methodical about building houses. The basics went together very quickly though and it was a joy not to have to decide between one of the same old 3 carpet colors because half of the carpets were bright pink or lime green. The landscaping options for bushes/flowers out front seemed much improved compared to plain old Sims 2 (I don't know if that was ever improved in an expansion pack).

Boss Doggie

I'm pretty sure you can copy paste a design within an object by dragging the color box of a part of the object to the color box of another part of the object. You can also "copy" colors by copy-paste-ing the hexadecimal code.

There are two kinds of community lots - those that can be build upon (which means you can see other sims interacting in it), and those that are premade, meaning that you can only choose menus and stuff from it.

Tek

I understand holding items back for expansion packs, but no hot tubs? Every base sims game had a hot tub.

:(

Tek said:
I understand holding items back for expansion packs, but no hot tubs? Every base sims game had a hot tub.

Yeah, I was noticing that. Looks like a tiny selection of stuff for kids too.

Here's my story of fail:

My first sim, I randomly generated his traits, and they are ridiculous: daredevil, neurotic, lucky, never nude, and kleptomaniac.

Apparently he's not that lucky though, because on his first day off, he's at the pool in the middle of town, and has a "hold breath" competition with another Sim, and he ends up drowning. That's right, my first freaking Sim in Sims 3 died in less than a week. I suck.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
platypotamus said:
Apparently he's not that lucky though, because on his first day off, he's at the pool in the middle of town, and has a "hold breath" competition with another Sim, and he ends up drowning. That's right, my first freaking Sim in Sims 3 died in less than a week. I suck.

Okay, it's not just me. My sim on the iPhone version was mauled by a lab monkey on his first day at work. It was even before lunch!!!!

Tek said:

I think that is something that is being held for DLC. I am hoping user-created stuff is free though.

Philthy

deadbeef said:
I've never played The Sims but Ive been wanting to check it out. Sounds fun. Is it something I can relax and play while I'm doing other stuff?

Anyone played this one yet?

I had never played a Sims game until last night. I'm not entirely sure WHY I've been avoiding them, but I installed my girlfriends copy onto my machine while she was at work and got about a good 3 hours of playtime out of it.

I like it. I like it quite a bit so far. It is most definitely a laid back game, but there are certain points where you're juggling your persons needs and wants. If he doesn't get enough sleep, he will suffer at work, which will in turn piss him off, and it's a whole cascading chain of "God dammit, NO DONT PLAY THE GUITAR NOW GO TAKE A SHOWER YOU STINK SO BAD EVERYONE IN THE CITY IS MOVING SOMEWHERE ELSE.". For the most part, you sort have to babysit your people. Sometimes they wont clean up after they cook a meal, then it'll rot, then he'll get pissed. Sometimes they will. So you gotta keep the cattle prod around and make them do something they really don't.

So yeah, you can sort of do other things while your guy goes on life. It's not a constant click fest.

I dunno, I've always liked games that sort of play themselves. It's too bad I missed out on the previous ones I guess.

My girlfriend, who owns literally every Sims thing made to date, made me go stand in line at some 24hr Walmart for this. Her opinion of the game is that it is fucking awesome compared to the others. Much much faster load times, and just overall better. I mentioned that some people were complaining about items, and she said she didn't notice it, other than the obvious 10000 expansion packs that will be coming for 3. Of which she will buy every single one.

Slacker

Zomg my first official thread. :D I'll try to update the OP with some more info tonight.

FYI, wander around the Sims Store a little bit, there are a number of free items, including the Prius car, a few shirts, and a couple other things.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is there anyway to change the button layout? I don't really like pushing the middle mouse button to turn the camera. Also, how do you get custom music in the game? I put some music in the "Custom Music" folder but I get seem to see it in the music options menu.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Slacker said:
Zomg my first official thread. :D I'll try to update the OP with some more info tonight.

FYI, wander around the Sims Store a little bit, there are a number of free items, including the Prius car, a few shirts, and a couple other things.

Car??? I need to jump on that store when I get home.

Boss Doggie

Windu said:
Is there anyway to change the button layout? I don't really like pushing the middle mouse button to turn the camera. Also, how do you get custom music in the game? I put some music in the "Custom Music" folder but I get seem to see it in the music options menu.

Sadly you can't change the camera control, though I am pretty sure it's been like that since Sims 2.

Philthy

Windu said:

I was looking for this, too! It's backwards from other games. Usually to rotate is the right mouse button, while scrolling is the middle. I looked but didn't find anywhere to change it. I guess I'll hook my G13 up and get some use out of it.

edgefusion

Arghh you guys! I went into my local supermarket today to pick this up only to find it's not released in the UK until June 5th! You got me all excited for it. :(

Meier

I watched my girlfriend play for about 30 minutes yesterday -- it didn't really feel any different than previous versions honestly but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The no loading was very impressive. It seems like the 4x time isn't working correctly though (appears exactly the same as 3x) which makes sleeping and work feel a little slow.

Kabouter

Meier said:
I watched my girlfriend play for about 30 minutes yesterday -- it didn't really feel any different than previous versions honestly but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The no loading was very impressive. It seems like the 4x time isn't working correctly though (appears exactly the same as 3x) which makes sleeping and work feel a little slow.
I thought the fourth time setting was just for fast forwarding (at 3x) through the current activity/task?

Meier

Kabouter said:
I thought the fourth time setting was just for fast forwarding (at 3x) through the current activity/task?
Maybe I worded it funny -- from her experience, the 3 and 4 time settings don't appear to be any different which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Top Bottom