• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

atomico

Does the stuff from the Create-A-Sim demo not automatically show up in the full game (i.e. unless you share it) or is it just me?

Does the stuff from the Create-A-Sim demo not automatically show up in the full game (i.e. unless you share it) or is it just me?

Nope, I noticed that as well. However I also noticed that the demo just updated as well. I need to try to relaunch it and see if the Sims migrate.

red731

What is happening guys? I would like to see some reactions/shitstorms/anger here :(

ed: and surprise/happiness also.

Can someone explain to me, why there's a AAA release by EA in 2014 which is PC-only?
i mean can't be THAT hard to come up with a control scheme. Or just put a cheap 5 Dollar mouse in the box.
The Sims is and has always been a PC franchise.
The console releases are always an afterthought.

Spl1nter

The game has got a lot of bad rep for missing content, but I might still get this if the core gameplay is solid.

The core gameplay is really solid. There is some tuning that is needed but multitasking makes the experience significantly better to play. The new animations and the way they mix with contextual choices adds a lot of life to the sims. It obviously doesnt have the content of sims 3 and expansions but it definitely has a charm and focus that was lost in sims 3. So many nice little actions like pee like champion when your sim is energetic or when your sim is angry my child had the choice to punch the teddy bear. The act of playing the game is a lot more fun for me. There is significantly less routing issues which annoyed me to no end in sims 3.

The detail on the park environments make them feel so much more alive, plus there are significantly more sims around interacting and living. I got apprehensive watching the livestream that the environments would still feel dead. Was about to cancel my preorder but said I might as well try the game myself and could always refund it. Turns out they actually have a lot more activity than was seen in those streams. However, the expansion packs will be needed to add content to provide more individuality between bar/lounge/nightclub and the addition of a restaurant and of course more.

For me the loadscreen do not bother me. They are the same tiime as seen in any of the vidoes 13-15 seconds. It is in essence the same time it would get your sim to travel to anywhere in sims 3. It is odd at first however because if for instance you go to the bar you can still travel around that entire neighborhood and interact with other sims or go fishing but you would have to load if you choose to go to the library or another lot. For me this isnt a bad thing, more just a difference between the games.

The first thing I want added to the game is the move object cheat. No create-a-style doesn't really bother me to much but they can always continue to add more colour options for objects.

Overall the game runs really smooth and well. It is actually a game you could play as well for 15 mins at a time since it took about 30 seconds for me from launching the game to being in and playing instead of the eternity of sims 3. For me personally the sims 4 is an improvement over the sims 3 because it allows me to better utilize and enjoy build mode and create a sims which I hated in 3. I also find the sims have a lot more life to them which was lacking in sims 3. Its odd because they have exaggerated gestures and a more cartoon appearance but it both seems more realistic and just right.

It didnt show up for me and I had already deleted CAS but what I uploaded to the gallery I could redownload.

Tiu Neo

Can someone explain to me, why there's a AAA release by EA in 2014 which is PC-only?
i mean can't be THAT hard to come up with a control scheme. Or just put a cheap 5 Dollar mouse in the box.

Because it's a series that is focused on PC, with a few releases on consoles. The game is pretty barebones right now, it would probably be even worse on that front if it had to take consoles and alternative inputs into consideration.

Alienous

lol watching this stream. Guys character died of embarrassment hahahaha
http://www.twitch.tv/ellohime

This is why I don't play Sims.

I can't help but have everything devolve into this within minutes of booting it:
tumblr_lmputme3co1qa6q7k_large.png

Is it just me, or is there a serious lack of hype for this game compared to the scale of the franchise? Am i just missing the discussion about the release or may this be a consequence of the multitude of EA fuckups in the last couple of years?

Pretty much. EA has become toxic in the gaming community but I don't think it will negatively impact sales or The Sims community much.

I can't help but have everything devolve into this within minutes of booting it:

I agree that it gets weird at times when pushing relationships and I'm a fairly hard core sims player. The best solution is to make a family from the start so you can ignore that part.

McNum

So, as the preloaded files are all here, I decided to snoop. You know, see if there was anything interesting, maybe some music files or something to play with.

What I found was a bunch of plain, unencrypted Zip files containing compiled Python scripts.

That's... surprising to say the least. And it looks to be the good stuff, too. Traits, autonomy, relationship behaviors. All the stuff that you usually see mods for fairly quickly. That's pretty... interesting. I guess EA wasn't kidding when they said the game would be more mod friendly. Unencrypted Zip files. I don't think I've ever seen a commercial game use THAT as its compression method.

The classic Maxis .package format is also present, but that's been thoroughly picked apart since Sims 3 and editors have been out for the Sims 4 variant as long as the Create-a-Sim demo has been out, give or take a few days.

Someone who knows Python better than me should probably take a look, but we might see mods out for this thing much faster than usual.

Lucifon

So, as the preloaded files are all here, I decided to snoop. You know, see if there was anything interesting, maybe some music files or something to play with.

What I found was a bunch of plain, unencrypted Zip files containing compiled Python scripts.

That's... surprising to say the least. And it looks to be the good stuff, too. Traits, autonomy, relationship behaviors. All the stuff that you usually see mods for fairly quickly. That's pretty... interesting. I guess EA wasn't kidding when they said the game would be more mod friendly. Unencrypted Zip files. I don't think I've ever seen a commercial game use THAT as its compression method.

The classic Maxis .package format is also present, but that's been thoroughly picked apart since Sims 3 and editors have been out for the Sims 4 variant as long as the Create-a-Sim demo has been out, give or take a few days.

Someone who knows Python better than me should probably take a look, but we might see mods out for this thing much faster than usual.

This is pretty great news. Also quite surprising for a game in 2014, and an EA one at that.

Ibuki

Banned
I wonder if mods will end up adding a lot of the stuff missing from the game compared to past versions. I was never an avid player, I only dabbled in past versions so I don't think the missing content will bother me much.

Nice to see something positive. Sounds like one of the better new features - might be something for the OP.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

The website acts as if it's coming to PS3/360 this year but I don't see an actual announcement for a console release and I can't find anymore information on it around the web.

RP912

Banned

I tried to do that with a character that's suppose to be my real life wife and she was freaked out and told me to leave :(.

Natural approach works well with the sims instead of trying to get a woohoo off the bat.

Kimaka

I wish I could be excited. The Sims is one of my favorite series but the lack of an open world is a big feature that I can't play without anymore.

Is it just me, or is there a serious lack of hype for this game compared to the scale of the franchise? Am i just missing the discussion about the release or may this be a consequence of the multitude of EA fuckups in the last couple of years?

The games media generally doesn't care about the Sims. I remember a lot of hype around 2 but 3 released with little fanfare. 4 seems worse than 3 probably because of all the bad news surrounding it.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So now that the full game is out does Create a Sim have more hair styles and clothes than Demo?

Yeah, I guess it seems like the basics are solid in The Sims 4 but the biggest drawback is simply that there is so much stripped out content.

Considering I just got The Sims 3 and a bunch of the expansions during the Steam Summer Sale, its probably safe for me to just wait on The Sims 4 for about a year or so until they get some more content back in. It just sucks that the vanilla game in The Sims 4 seems even more stripped down and devoid of features and content than vanilla The Sims 3.

Bittercup

The Sims 4 streams are great. I watched this one for a while and all he does is trying to get other Sims pregnant. I think his first Sim ended with 17 children.
Now he plays a younger Sim again and continues.
http://www.twitch.tv/charliewinsmore
The ellohime stream mentioned above is funny as well.

I had this issue. You have to go to the gallery, then your demo creation will be under "My stuff", even if you didn't share it.

I just tried the Create A Sim demo on my laptop. I turned the graphics up to max, accidentally leaving anti-aliasing on the highest setting (my integrated graphics, Intel HD 4000, is terrible with anti-aliasing), yet the demo ran full speed, no hiccups. I was pretty impressed...

To be fair, though, that's just one Sim and not a world with several Sims doing their thing. Does anyone here happen to have integrated graphics and am running the game? I'm curious as to how well it runs.

Sounds like Sims 4 has lots of improvements in gameplay (I really like that multitasking) but is weak in content like people expected.
Even though I can try it out for 24 hours on Origin, I think I'll wait until expansion packs are announced and become bundled with the base game. I'll definitely get it, just not now.

McNum

It's launch day for this game, and I had to go all the way to page 3 to find this OT. Oh dear.
Gaf does move fast today, but yeah. The hype for this game is kind of dead. Died of feature starvation, poor thing.

Also, it's a rolling launch. The game started launching about 24 hours ago and will end launching in the UK on Friday, so it's kind of slow going. And with the review copies held back, we don't even have IGN and Polygon to argue about yet.

Hopefully this thread picks up a bit of steam again.

Mr_Zombie

People keep repeating that the game seems bare when compared to TS3 with all its expansion packs, but how does it hold up to the base game?
Is the lack of all those features mentioned in the OP noticeable and really affect the game, or does the new feature make up for it?

And is there enough textures/color variations for clothes and furnitures to excuse the remove of Create-a-style?

Sayers

As cynical as I have been about the game, I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it and it's not a burning pile of trash. Will still wait to see how it is received long term but I will probably pick it up next summer when there is a release drought.

JoeBoy101

I caved for a 24 hour trial after hearing some more positive things, the increased modability (and Sims 3 is no slouch in that category), but mainly because the Twitch channels. The game generally looks fun. That and having the week off and time to burn.

I'll post here as I go with thoughts and such.

First off, I do like how clean the game is so far on UI and loading. Short EA logo, Maxis splash picture, and then right into the main menu. Probably about 15-20 seconds, which after playing Sims 3 with a moderate number of expansions is a welcome change. Settings and options are not all that expansive compared to ex-pack Sims 3, but is better than base Sims 3. You can choose between camera controls as they are now or as they are in Sims 3. You can also do the same with social interaction controls, turning on or off contextual choices and just standard pie choices.

Last thing to mention is there is a couple of mod options, including whether to view/include script mods or not.

Oh, and alt-tabbing from it running to your desktop is better too.

I bought it earlier today, left it downloading while I came to work. Can't wait to play it.

This will be my first sims game, I don't even know what to expect.

JoeBoy101

To the CAS, most those interested have probably tried the demo, but if not...

The CAS is definitely an improved area. The tactile nature of it really makes you able to quickly get at things that you want to alter, but also let's you play around a bit.

There are more hair choices I think than the demo, and I appreciate being able to filter the choices for clothes and hair to either see everything at first or sub-sections like all full length pants or medium length hair.

That said, the content issue starts to raise its ugly head here with not many choices for hair or clothing. But its not that bad given that their weren't many choices in base game Sims 3. And, I'll grant this too, I think the choices are uniformly better with less bullshit options or one time useful hairstyles and clothes.

The bigger issue with the CAS is the lack of Create a Style. This would have been FAR stronger if that tool was included, if only for clothes and not objects.

puffyshirt said:
So after all the bullshit, the game is still looking solid?

Possibly. I will say its looking more fun than expected, if the Twitch channels are anything to go by.

Also, on CAS, need more stubble options. One is not enough!

Top Bottom