• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So do they have any microtransactions or DLC yet? I remember them being there from day one on the Sims 3

CzarTim

tbh this game is fine. Was super pessimistic about it before, but now that I've gotten my hands on it, there is nothing really wrong with it other than it feels a bit bare. That's pretty common for vanilla sims though.

Am I the only one who plays The Sims with auto-control turned off for my Sims? I've been watching some people play it and none of them play this way.

I play with it off as well.

Zareka

Wait a minute, so has this game managed to not turn out like a steaming pile of garbage? I get that there's a severe lack of content, but are the improvements actually making up for all of that so much that people are enjoying it?

I'll wait a while before I decide on whether I'll buy it or some point or not. There's every chance a week down the line that everyone will get bored and get over the initial amusement. If they don't, well, that's awesome! I hope it can be salvaged.

Zafir

tbh this game is fine. Was super pessimistic about it before, but now that I've gotten my hands on it, there is nothing really wrong with it other than it feels a bit bare. That's pretty common for vanilla sims though.
Pretty much my opinion as well.

MoonGred

I won't be picking this one up for a while (originally bought The Sims 3 at launch and yeah....), but is it better (performance wise)?

The impressions I've read all seem to indicate it's far better than the sims 3.

I was so set on not buying this game, it's getting really hard now... Help...

CzarTim

Wait a minute, so has this game managed to not turn out like a steaming pile of garbage? I get that there's a severe lack of content, but are the improvements actually making up for all of that so much that people are enjoying it?

I'll wait a while before I decide on whether I'll buy it or some point or not. There's every chance a week down the line that everyone will get bored and get over the initial amusement. If they don't, well, that's awesome! I hope it can be salvaged.

It feels more like a modern version of Sims 2 than an upgrade from Sims 3, if that makes sense. Sims 3 always ran terribly for me, and I always thought open world was a better idea on paper than in execution. So in a lot of ways I prefer this direction. But I am also well aware that others feel differently. Whether or not it has lasting appeal, I honestly can't say at this point.

As for added stuff, I think multitasking is super cool and social interactions feel more natural / streamlined.

JoeBoy101

Without paying a ton yet... yeah? Honestly, I'm really enjoying it. I have a tough time pointing to any particular item making it a better experience, but is a bunch of minor improvements that add up. Like multitasking, the performance and such. I'm trying to be objective about it though, as the content gap will only truly show over time.

elelunicy

Question for those who have the game - how many custom lots / houses are you able to create? If there's a limitation of 25 lots total, subdivided into 5-lot neighborhoods, and some are taken up (I'm assuming) by community lots and Maxis-made lots and families, how many are left open for you to create from scratch?

Very few, like only 3 or 4 empty lots available. However, unlike previous games, you can easily travel between worlds in a single game file now without a long loading screen specifically for that world, so you can create custom lots in a different world if you run out of space. The base game only comes with two worlds, but there are already rumors about a third DLC world.

JoeBoy101

I knew about traveling between worlds, but I didn't know that NPCs from the other world will show up in your current one. Nice touch.

Lucifon

Very few, like only 3 or 4 empty lots available. However, unlike previous games, you can easily travel between worlds in a single game file now without a long loading screen specifically for that world, so you can create custom lots in a different world if you run out of space. The base game only comes with two worlds, but there are already rumors about a third DLC world.

It also seems super easy to add new sims into your world. So you could almost do an entire town of custom sims. I swear in the Sims 3 that was much more convoluted/difficult to do.

red731

Just bought it. The fuck am I thinking at 2308.

41eur Limited Ed...not bad for such a hastly decision...I still hate you EA

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It also seems super easy to add new sims into your world. So you could almost do an entire town of custom sims. I swear in the Sims 3 that was much more convoluted/difficult to do.

So you can create custom Sims and add them to the world without having to make a house for them?

That actually does seem like a cool addition.

Zareka

It feels more like a modern version of Sims 2 than an upgrade from Sims 3, if that makes sense. Sims 3 always ran terribly for me, and I always thought open world was a better idea on paper than in execution. So in a lot of ways I prefer this direction. But I am also well aware that others feel differently. Whether or not it has lasting appeal, I honestly can't say at this point.

As for added stuff, I think multitasking is super cool and social interactions feel more natural / streamlined.
Without paying a ton yet... yeah? Honestly, I'm really enjoying it. I have a tough time pointing to any particular item making it a better experience, but is a bunch of minor improvements that add up. Like multitasking, the performance and such. I'm trying to be objective about it though, as the content gap will only truly show over time.

Huh, that's...surprising. Very surprising. I was wholly convinced this would be universally panned upon release.

In all honesty, I did think the performance getting eviscerated due to the open world in TS3 kind of defeated the purpose of it since I was so inclined not to go anywhere very much, but I am still kind of disappointed that they went back to the lot to lot system TS2 have. I just know it would have been possible to optimise the open world to not run like crap so we could have the best of both worlds.

I guess I'll look forward to this once more content has been added. My hope is that they'll patch loads of stuff in for free to make up for the bare bones base game but I know that'll never happen. Expansions on sale is probably the best I'll get, whenever that is.

Karak

Wow. I have to say I am surprised at hearing its ok. I am going to wait a bit to make sure thats not a typical reverse reaction to all the hate upfront. But if its not that is awesome.

jgwhiteus

Thanks for the info! Eh, I'll definitely pass at this point then. My favorite part of the Sims 2 is playing "god mode" with an entire neighborhood, and I think I've gone up to 25 families, all with custom houses - 3 or 4 just isn't going to cut it.

I'll wait for an expansion to see if they add more available lots, though I appreciate hearing everyone's impressions in the meantime.

EDIT: I checked in on Amazon to see how this was doing sales-wise, and it's only at number 9 on the best-sellers' list, behind games like Destiny (well, of course), Command & Conquer and Battlefield 4 (which I'm assuming are on sale). But still, that's pretty mediocre opening-day performance for the best-selling PC series of all time. It's not even the top-selling PC game!

Customer reviews are definitely... "mixed" (2 stars, with 48 reviews), and I don't think they're all customers giving the game one star for missing toddlers and swimming pools (the way Spore got 1-star reviews for its DRM).
http://www.amazon.com/Sims-Limited-Edition-Online-Game/dp/B00ENQXEX2

Common criticisms seem to be "one step forward, two steps back" and "has potential, but way too expensive for minimal content at the moment".

Guri

It makes everything easier if you're playing as a family but yeah I play with it off too.

Removing free will on only the CURRENTLY selected sim was by far the best TS3 update ever. Of all time.

Keep free will on to help me manage time against numerous sims but I immediately switch to an active sim the moment I see them trying to do stupid shit

I play with it off as well.

Oh, I didn't know about that update on TS3, I stopped playing early. But yeah, great idea. And interesting to see more people keeping it off.

CzarTim

Thanks for the info! Eh, I'll definitely pass at this point then. My favorite part of the Sims 2 is playing "god mode" with an entire neighborhood, and I think I've gone up to 25 families, all with custom houses - 3 or 4 just isn't going to cut it.

There are 21 lots in each world. Not all are empty by default, but you can evict or change the type of lot with a push of a button.

This is a good way to put it. I'm enjoying it, and it runs and looks a lot better than The Sims 3 ever did. Also really liking the music.

Pilgrimzero

Ugh love the Sims but can't afford a new one right now. Luckily EA gave me all of Sims 2 for free a few weeks ago, guess I'll install that and take it for a whirl.

artsi

To put it short, I like it. Runs smooth as baby's butt and looks good.

Of course the content problem is there, but doesn't ruin the game for me.

jgwhiteus

I'm going through some of the Amazon reviews. This one is rather blistering, going through some positives first (Create-A-Sim, faster load times and performance), then a long list of negatives:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/review/RSHYOB3RFNFY6/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ASIN=B00ENQXEX2

- Wait a minute, there aren't any dishwashers or trash compactors? What do you do with dirty dishes?
- I knew certain NPCs were missing (firefighters, police), but no maids or gardeners either? Do you have to do all the cleaning and gardening yourself?
- S/he also mentions things like clipping / pathfinding problems, which I assumed would be in there, but also some "dumb" behaviors (Sim lets his hunger bar deplete while he watches TV, which leads to him dying) which indicate the AI is still... improvable.

Zafir

There is a cleaner. Not sure about garderner, I've not got access to him yet, but I did see a NPC in a gardeners outfit come by so I'm kind of confused. I've not had any clipping or pathfinding issues though.

In other news, the infinite scaling is hilarious.

NmdofyL.jpg

You can make them even bigger too, but you can't see all of it because of camera limitations. xD

- Wait a minute, there aren't any dishwashers or trash compactors? What do you do with dirty dishes?

- I knew certain NPCs were missing (firefighters, police), but no maids or gardeners either? Do you have to do all the cleaning and gardening yourself?

- S/he also mentions things like clipping / pathfinding problems, which I assumed would be in there, but also some "dumb" behaviors (Sim lets his hunger bar deplete while he watches TV, which leads to him dying) which indicate the AI is still... improvable.

1. You wash them in a sink.

2. There are absolutely maids. Not sure about gardeners.

3. I haven't had any issues like that. Not yet at least.

Green Yoshi

People at Amazon.com don't seem to like the game or more precisely the price-performance ratio.

Fantastic! Every body, EA did that again! After the great success of reboot in Sim City, fans of simulation games are wondering what the next simulation title will be launched by EA. I can't imagine how bad the gaming industry will become if EA doesn't exist in this world. For starters, EA is currently one of the best simulation developers in the world, and in general it is the leader in trends of development of various games around the world.

Sim City has already drawn so much attention and become a legend of simulation games in modern era. Today, another legend has born, which is this wonderful game.

Sims 4 has significant improvement over its predecessor. It has an improved UI, which is more user friendly. Its graphic is superb and oustanding. On a technical side, the optimization is perfect, the game is running extremely smoothly. The game play elements also bring the simulation of life to a new level. It has a lot of elements added, and offers a great variety of game play choices for players. Also, it is very realistic, which is an outstanding life simulator.

All in all, the game has a lot of innovative and creative improvement, which is a must-have for all fans of simulation.

I am already looking forwards for more DLCs to come. Please do not release expansions again like the old-days, as this takes too much time for development. Fans want new contents as soon as possible. Developers, please try to release more and more DLCs on a weekly, or if possible, on a daily basis. Fans are eager to pay for more FUN! ;)

Every one, please join me to celebrate the great launch day of such fantastic title!
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4

Please tell me he's just a troll. ;-)

BearPawB

Banned
I had no idea this game came out...talk about anti-hype
For how burned I felt by Sim City..purchasing this seems super risky.

But part of me realllllllllllllly wants to

]It feels more like a modern version of Sims 2 than an upgrade from Sims 3, if that makes sense.[/B] Sims 3 always ran terribly for me, and I always thought open world was a better idea on paper than in execution. So in a lot of ways I prefer this direction. But I am also well aware that others feel differently. Whether or not it has lasting appeal, I honestly can't say at this point.

Ugh. Im going to hate this game. Like I can not understand what people liked so much about 2 when 3 improved on everything. Yes, I know it worked like dogshit because of limitations of that era (although I never had much of a problem of how it runned on my pc, Ive seen worse running games), and maybe the open world wasnt as amazing for some people becuase of the rabbitholes (I loved the open world and I didnt mind the rabbit holes), but thats how you make a sequel, improving in all those aspects, it has to be an evolution and working out all what didnt work up to notch, not taking away everything and leaving the barebones corpse of a game that iddles between the simis 1 and 2.
At the end of the day the sims 3 was the only game in the series for me that was fun to just play with your sims and make a life. With 1 and 2, after some hours of making an amazing house and family, and haing a lot of fun doing it, I got bored of them after 1 day of playing with them, and tred to make a new house and family. In 3 I spend weeks with the same family, and added a history to the whole neighbourbood and the sims that lived in there.

Well the lack of review copies didn't help much.

They actually did give out early review copies, and had review events and everything. However, it seemed to be only for those in the Sims community and not big name general game sites like IGN, Kotaku, etc. A lot of streamers and let's play people got copies as well.

One thing I have noticed is that the mexican version on origin is 34.99 while the US version is 59.99

Bought the mexican version because that's the store it pointed me out to, could have used a US card but didn't want to transfer to that account. Used the local card and went thru no problem.

For 35 bucks it's not that bad. Now, I need to check if I downloaded the english version. Would suck if I got the one in spanish :(

Nibiru

Banned
To put it short, I like it. Runs smooth as baby's butt and looks good.

Of course the content problem is there, but doesn't ruin the game for me.

Lack of content won't ruin a game until you have played it a awhile. Plenty of games have been decent out of the gate but after players spend more time with them they realize how hollow the experience is. This happened with SimCity. Sure the initial issue was servers but once people were finally able to play a lot they saw how bad it was.

Just picked up my Premium Edition

I'm pleassently surprised at the generally positive reactions. I completely skipped Sims 3 so I'm pretty pumped to play this.

CzarTim

Lack of content won't ruin a game until you have played it a awhile. Plenty of games have been decent out of the gate but after players spend more time with them they realize how hollow the experience is. This happened with SimCity. Sure the initial issue was servers but once people were finally able to play a lot they saw how bad it was.

This is my current concern too. First 5-10 hours might be okay, but then what?

One thing I'll say though is that SimCity's main issue was the size of the cities themselves. Had they been able to increase the playing space, I feel like it would have actually been a good game. Just because of the nature The Sims, that isn't a problem. Expansions can add depth / content pretty easily.

Top Bottom