• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

red731

Just playing the create a sim "demo" and

weirdestboner.jpg

So this IS a waifu sim? bwahaha what hell brain.

That is totaly eva green from penny dreadful *i am dying

Emily fuckin Blunt. alt f4.

red731

I heard it is basically lag free.

Please define the word lag.
People are throwing the word around performance of games that are not even remotely online. (not saying this isn't - in the OT I've read it is just for checking and in the sim creator I saw something in option that could been turned off)

JoeBoy101

The new camera controls are ALMOST awesome with click and dragging of the map and such. Problem is not pitch control that I can figure out. That said, not only can you select the Sims 3 Camera style in options, you can hotswitch with Ctrl+Shift+Tab.

And I'll say this, it may not be open world, but it looks open world with no loss of detail on the non-played lots (though I do have everything at max, and uncompressed textures on sims, if there's framerate slowdown, I'll find it).

Now to get into it more.

Buzzbrad

People are throwing the word around performance of games that are not even remotely online. (not saying this isn't - in the OT I've read it is just for checking and in the sim creator I saw something in option that could been turned off)

Well that is something I read on the sims subreddit. I assume he meant frame drops.

RP912

Banned
So far it looks like the lack of features missing from this game not stopping it from being fun which is good to know.

McNum

In the case of the Sims, it's probably simulator lag we're talking about.

You see, The Sims 3, and from what I can tell, 4 as well, is made of two parts. The simulation engine running in C# or something like that (making it a pain in the butt to mod as well) and a more lightweight top layer for interactions, graphics, sound and all that the player sees. In The Sims 3, these could go out of sync, causing the simulation engine to fall behind, which would show as all actions pausing, while sound, graphics and such kept running. And it mostly didn't matter how beefy your PC was, this would happen on any rig once the town size went high enough and pathfinding got crazy. (Didn't help that the game spawned taxis infinitely and never cleaned them up, of course.)

If The Sims 4 keeps in sync between core and outer layer, then that is quite the significant upgrade.

Mononoke

Banned
So far it looks like the lack of features missing from this game not stopping it from being fun which is good to know.

Interesting. I'll admit I'm a sucker for character creators in games. And I've enjoyed the Sims in the past. But looking at that long list of missing features has turned me off. But if the game is actually really good with its new features, I'm not so attached to the series that I would specifically miss past features. I'm torn.

RP912

Banned
Interesting. I'll admit I'm a sucker for character creators in games. And I've enjoyed the Sims in the past. But looking at that long list of missing features has turned me off. But if the game is actually really good with its new features, I'm not so attached to the series that I would specifically miss past features. I'm torn.

Looking back at the past sim games I barely use the pools, a burglar comes once in a blue moon, and the lack of cars are not much of a reason to be depressed. The only issues I have is the lack of firemen and no toddlers since they were so adorable in the sims 3 lol.

Other than that its all of what you make it. Take the new features as a improvise or just be stuck on the past.

I'm about to try it out myself since my mom let me borrow her copy.

red731

Well that is something I read on the sims subreddit. I assume he meant frame drops.

Sorry to jump on your back there, Buzz. Got ya. But I guess you know what I meant too.

In the case of the Sims, it's probably simulator lag we're talking about.

Oohhh. Thank you McNum, man. That was enlightening and I am not joking. I knew that something must be happening below what we see, but now I understand the sync and possible desync if simulation got pressed down due to everything and much more happening.

JoeBoy101

Build mode is nice. Especially the search bar for searching on specific times of items.

That said, I'm not a fan of Decorations taking up WAY more space. In Sims 3, you could multiple items on one square surface (alarm clock and lamp on night stand). You can do the alarm clock on a portion of the table and a couple (quite literally) of lamps also fit onto a surface portion, but almost all take up one grid square.

Not the case in Sims 4. In this regard it can be looked as a downgrade, but it functions the same as Sims 2.

EDIT: Refrigerator telling you how long food has before it spoils. THANK YOU!

For The Sims, the lag is the time from clicking on something till the time the Sim or the game responses.

For example in Sims 3, lets say its about time to go to school. Your Sim is eating breakfast. Then it decides its time to watch TV. No, this isn't what you want. You use have to stop that activity and have the Sim go to school. The lag is how long it takes the Sim to stop watching TV and go to school. Not it isn't like the game is frozen or starts to slow down and get a horrible frame rate. (Though that can happen). You watch in horror as your Sim slowly turns off the TV, slowly get up, stand still for what seems forever, spin to change clothes, and then start to head out to the school bus.

With Sims 4, you tell the Sim to stop watching TV *bam* he isn't watching TV. Tell the Sim to go to school, *bam* he is dressed and heading to school. You feel like you are commanding you Sim and watching them perform your requests instead of watching the ghost in the machine take your instructions and maybe follow them in a timely matter.

Its hard to explain but if you play The Sims series, it is a noticeable change.

JoeBoy101

If you've been watching the Twitch channels, you may have seen that Sim to Sim interactions are far more interesting now. Conversations naturally spread to include multiple people instead of having to do the Hang Out action or inviting other people. Also, actions you do like Get To Know or Tell a Funny Story is done in the confines of the conversation, so the effects go to all the listeners it seems. Its not unlike Sims 3 in that regard, but not as closed off.

Speaking to the open world aspect, or lack there of, I got a better understanding of it now. Once your in a particular neighborhood, the load doesn't occur unless moving building to building. If you move outdoors, you can move around the entire neighborhood, but once you choose to go to another neighborhood or into another building, then you have the load.

jgwhiteus

I'm glad to read some positive impressions on gameplay, though I guess nothing has pulled me from my current stance of waiting-and-seeing, maybe until the first expansion, to see if it's worth jumping in despite all the missing features. Honestly I tend to speed-play through the days (going 3x speed after lining up actions), so while a change in lag is welcome, differences in the details of conversations / interactions probably won't be noticeable to me.

I still fire up The Sims 2 + expansions on occasion and can lose hours in that, so that should tide me over. And I'll admit that mods were what really made me enjoy that game and gave it a second life, so maybe after the mod community for this game has built up a bit it'll be worth the (discounted) price.

Bittercup

For The Sims, the lag is the time from clicking on something till the time the Sim or the game responses.
[...]
Its hard to explain but if you play The Sims series, it is a noticeable change.
Oh wow, that's a really great change.

I'm still undecided and the long list of removed features made me very hesitant. Not that everything was super important. The missing open world was probably the biggest disappointment for me.
But it's nice to read some positive impressions and in the streams the game seems to be quite fun.
I'll probably wait for more impressions.

JoeBoy101

The Gallery is nicely done, and there is already a decent selection of houses available as is. Past houses though, there's only Households (aka Sims), Lots, and Rooms so overall there is not much there.

The Houses feel a bit spartan, a return to Sims 2 in that regard as opposed to Sims 3 which reveled in knick-knacks and clutter. Its more usable and utilitarian, but doesn't really feel like a true house, if that makes sense.

The public areas are the opposite though. Where in Sims 3 you had a few Sims come in and fart around, there are alot of people in the public areas after you arrive. Not just interacting and talking but just passing by as well. At the garden outside my house, I counted 4 Sims just passing by on the sidewalk in different directions while another 5 where gardening or talking. So despite being functionally tiny, the space looks large from in game and feels more alive.

Also, the game has run like a rock. Even base game Sims 3 for me, toting 8GB of Ram and a GTX 570 will slow down significantly with a lot of Sims on the screen or moving around the map a ton.

Here? I was already in a lot with 9 other Sims and not a blip. And its not like the world is empty.

JoeBoy101

Man the list of career choices gripes my ass. I do hope the modding community hits that first above anything.

That said, career object rewards making a return is nice, but making it so you have to spend money on them is bullshit.

I also don't like how you just hit your phone and see all jobs. I kinda like having to hunt for jobs or, in the case of Sims 3, go to the workplace in question and apply. As is the theme with this game though, there is the upside that they tell you how much you'll start making and what your days and hours will be. That's nice info upfront.

I'm noticing too that Needs decay a lot slower in 4, but they take longer to rebuild. A full shower for a hygiene bar in the red can take over an hour.

Linkark07 said:
So far, for what I have seen, it seems great. The performance looks to be way better than The Sims 3.

But the lack of content is what keeps me from buying the game. Still, I'll probably buy it when the new expansions appear or if mods bring back content from the previous Sims.

Given the amount of content in Sims 3 with expansions now, I would recommend that. But a few days ago, I lost a couple (who I took through University), their daughter (who I took through Uni.) and their toddler son due to a game save error. Right now, for me, the smoother, more stable play is appealing.

Linkark07

Banned
So far, for what I have seen, it seems great. The performance looks to be way better than The Sims 3.

But the lack of content is what keeps me from buying the game. Still, I'll probably buy it when the new expansions appear or if mods bring back content from the previous Sims.

Given the amount of content in Sims 3 with expansions now, I would recommend that. But a few days ago, I lost a couple (who I took through University), their daughter (who I took through Uni.) and their toddler son due to a game save error. Right now, for me, the smoother, more stable play is appealing.

Yeah, Sims 3 has too many troubles. That's why I jumped to Sims 2 after having quite low FPS and random crashes.

JoeBoy101

So yeah, fire.

Stove on fire, no Fire Department coming. Simply stupid. First I run out of the house cause I didn't want to die. Then I realized, nobody's coming, so I ran back in and put it out. There is an expensive sprinkler systems, but is more meant for a public lot.

doomquake

So yeah, fire.

Stove on fire, no Fire Department coming. Simply stupid. First I run out of the house cause I didn't want to die. Then I realized, nobody's coming, so I ran back in and put it out. There is an expensive sprinkler systems, but is more meant for a public lot.

life.

Iacobellis

Once the Mac version is out, can I expect EA/Maxis to be on top of updates and expansions at the same consistency as the Windows version?

Niosai

I've been playing for a few hours and so far my impressions are that for the little content you're given in the base game, it really is enjoyable. With expansions and more content, it would be much better, though.

The missing fire department has led to one sim death (not mine) due to the fact that my sim refused to try to put out the fire.

The interactions are great. It takes a lot longer to build relationships with other sims as compared to previous games, which really is an improvement. Talking to multiple sims at once feels natural and doesn't seem like a jerky forced reaction.

EDIT: Also, I think one of the default voices is voiced by James Arnold Taylor. It sounds just like him to me.

Messi

What the fuck. What.

She might be pregnant. Lol

The differences between his two lady companions are awesome.

jgwhiteus

Question for those who have the game - how many custom lots / houses are you able to create? If there's a limitation of 25 lots total, subdivided into 5-lot neighborhoods, and some are taken up (I'm assuming) by community lots and Maxis-made lots and families, how many are left open for you to create from scratch?

Cheddahz

Banned
I won't be picking this one up for a while (originally bought The Sims 3 at launch and yeah....), but is it better (performance wise)?

Guri

Am I the only one who plays The Sims with auto-control turned off for my Sims? I've been watching some people play it and none of them play this way.

DedValve

Banned
Am I the only one who plays The Sims with auto-control turned off for my Sims? I've been watching some people play it and none of them play this way.

Removing free will on only the CURRENTLY selected sim was by far the best TS3 update ever. Of all time.

Keep free will on to help me manage time against numerous sims but I immediately switch to an active sim the moment I see them trying to do stupid shit

rosstex

Neo Member
Also, the game has run like a rock. Even base game Sims 3 for me, toting 8GB of Ram and a GTX 570 will slow down significantly with a lot of Sims on the screen or moving around the map a ton.

Already? It feels like I just purchased my 570. Either Sims is just poorly optimized, or technology is moving too fast for my wallet!

Top Bottom