• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection PS VITA |OT| A Stealth Release

Peff

I hear people say that Sly 2 is a great game all the time, but every time I give it a chance I just get incredibly bored by the tedious missions where I have to do simple and boring tasks in the same environment until the next level, where it just repeats. I honestly would like to know why people really like this game, because I sure can't figure it out why aside from perhaps nostalgia. It does seem like a decent game for kids.

It's not nostalgia so much as it is the fact that the game was Assassin's Creed before Assassin's Creed was even a project proposal. The clue bottles are placed in a way that collecting all of them will show you a bunch of tricks and shortcuts and give you a general idea of what the level is like for the rest of the missions, which all build up to the final big elaborate heist where all characters participate. It's a long game, though, and indeed mission variety is subpar, but it's still better than Sly 3: Attack of the Mini-Game.

Sly 1 is the best one, though. A really cool 3D platformer with very unique levels, short but perfectly paced and it has unlockable techniques that are actually useful during normal play. Unfortunately it's unlikely they've added the dev commentary for completing the Master Thief runs.

TimmiT

Those people are correct.

Sly 2 is the Uncharted 2 of the series. The Empire Strikes Back of videogames.
Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post and not actually explaining why you like the game.

I don't get either myself; I find Sly 2 to be alot of fun, but I love the original much more. I think its largely due to how Sly 2 kinda gets repetitive after long gameplay sessions and not mixing things up enough to stop that repetition. People love the game due to the build up to the final mission of each world; you feel like a master thief, with you and your team using everything you did in the world to get that item you want to steal. The game is a great game, but it can bore people sometimes :). Do you like Sly 1? If you love that game, you could also dislike this game due to not exactly building off what the original did (linear Crash-meets stealth stages).
Ah, yeah I can see why people would like that. I do think that Thieves in Time does a better job of making it less repetitive by having more missions that take place outside of the open world stages though.

It's not nostalgia so much as it is the fact that the game was Assassin's Creed before Assassin's Creed was even a project proposal. The clue bottles are placed in a way that collecting all of them will show you a bunch of tricks and shortcuts and give you a general idea of what the level is like for the rest of the missions, which all build up to the final big elaborate heist where all characters participate. It's a long game, though, and indeed mission variety is subpar, but it's still better than Sly 3: Attack of the Mini-Game.

Sly 1 is still better, though. A really cool 3D platformer with very unique levels, short but perfectly paced and it has unlockable techniques that are actually useful during normal play. Unfortunately it's unlikely they've added the dev commentary for completing the Master Thief runs.
Also a good explanation. And I agree with Sly 1, I felt like it had far more variety to it with good pacing.

I'm playing Thieves in Time right now and I'm enjoying it.

I remember a long time ago when i was little I had a demo disc with a SlyCooper demo for Ps2.
It was very short but I played it over and over but I never had the money to buy the game and eventually forgot about the game.

Thatswhy I'm quite happy that the collection is now coming to my favorite handheld <3

Zalman

I really hope you platforming fans who haven't tried this yet pick it up. It's a highly underrated franchise in my opinion and it deserves as much attention as it can get. I think it's up there with Ratchet and Jak.

Vashetti

Banned
In other news, GOW Collection doesn't look too hot, at least by looking at the screenshots.

gowcollection_gow1_screens_02_1392032860.jpg

Is it so hard for vita to display a PS2 game at native res, or close to it, a la Metal Gear Solid Collection? GOW looks to be running at a really low resolution.

Jesus christ this looks foul.

Square Enix should send over the folks who ported FFX/X-2 to Vita. Now that is a stunning port.

RK128

Wow! I'm honestly really surprised at that this port runs so well :). After seeing the original screen shots, the games look quite rough (noticeably the original Sly; looked like a PS1 game :(), but seeing gameplay of these looking so smooth is just....really nice to see :). Looks like we aren't getting another Jak Collection on our hands in regards to Sly 1 and 2. We don't know how well Sly 3 is going to run but that's not really a big deal (considering how....poor, to say the least, the game is).

If anyone one from Sanzaru is here, great job with the ports guys :).

RK128

If these don't run at a solid 60 fps then I'm staying the hell away. There's no way the Vita can't handle it.

The video's shown indicate that the very least the original Sly is at 60 FPS (it just looks so dam smooth, just like the original game). I think Sly 2 might be (as that looked good in the video as well), but if any game isn't going to be 60FPS, it's going to be Sly 3. I say that due to the heavy amount of Cell-Shading the game has over Sly 1 and 2 and the game being more technically demanding, so the game might either run at an unlocked frame rate (30-60FPS) or at a locked 30FPS frame rate.

Foshy

I've finally found Sly footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlaaks-VwfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFdTsklK1c

At first I thought it was fake, but the Bentley icon on the touchscreen in the first video and the white O symbol in the second video make me believe it's PSVita footage. Pretty good if real, though, you know, youtube...

Ok this looks much better than expected.

I own the Sly Trilogy digitally on PS3, but only bothered to finish the first one, which was pretty good. Started the second one but didn't like it nearly as much. If it's cross-buy, I'll give it another chance on Vita though.

Tsunamo

That is one clever OT subtitle.

I'm looking forward to playing these again on my Vita, going by the screenshots Sly 2 and 3 look like they'll look great at least. I'll hold out on buying the retail version of the game in the off chance they're crossbuy though so heres hoping.
Looking good.

VLiberty

Yeah, GOW seems smooth as well. At the time Secret Agent Clank PS2 released I was a big Sanzaru hater, but now they've gained my respect. If R&C Trilogy is a thing, I hope it's a Sanzaru thing.

BTW, the way Sony treats most of its games is just shameful.

edit: Honor Among Thieves footage is up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfjfyNzhmMs

MUnited83

For you.
That is one clever OT subtitle.

I'm looking forward to playing these again on my Vita, going by the screenshots Sly 2 and 3 look like they'll look great at least. I'll hold out on buying the retail version of the game in the off chance they're crossbuy though so heres hoping.

Cross-buy for Europe but not for NA I believe.

RK128

Was this posted yet? The uploader of Sly 1 and Sly 2 Vita uploaded footage of Sly 3 as well, showing the game on the Vita itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfjfyNzhmMs

The game looks like it runs good....surprising considering how the game uses heavy cell-shading! Looks like Sanzaru did a great job with this game too :).

Beaten :(. Glad the game is running good though :).

Paskil

I would assume if it's crossbuy, that it's only crossbuy if purchased digitally? I was disappointed I wasn't able to redeem my physical copy of Flower for a PS4 version.

RK128

I have the game, yes.

You have the game? Does the game's frame rate dip at all and are the games native res? An answer would be most appreciated :).

Edit: Forgot to ask, are the games cross-buy in US? I'm sure they will in EU (as Jak was there) but if you own the US version, can you tell us if cross-buy is in the US versions? Own Sly 1 and 2 digitally and would love to play them on Vita without shelling out 30 bucks...

VanWinkle

I have the game, yes.

Thanks. Disappointing.

Hey even I am expecting the games to run at 30 FPS. How many PS2 games ported on the Vita managed to run at 60 FPS anyways?
Stranger's Wrath, which was an Xbox game, runs at 30 FPS even.

I know, but it's still pretty disappointing. I was hoping that since Sanzaru was doing the port it may be 60fps. Still going to get it probably, but it's unfortunate we can't get 60fps on PS2 games.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, GOW seems smooth as well. At the time Secret Agent Clank PS2 released I was a big Sanzaru hater, but now they've gained my respect. If R&C Trilogy is a thing, I hope it's a Sanzaru thing.

Was the PS2 port of SAC really bad or something? They didn't develop the base game if your complains lay with that.

rjc571

Banned
30 fps? Thanks, you just saved me 30 bucks.

Why can't the Vita run a damn PS2 port without significant downgrades?

RK128

I know, but it's still pretty disappointing. I was hoping that since Sanzaru was doing the port it may be 60fps. Still going to get it probably, but it's unfortunate we can't get 60fps on PS2 games.

The games are ports from the PS3 ports, so I suppose that is why ports of the HD collections run at 30/sub-30 FPS. Its a shame, but at the very least the Sly Collection will not run like the Jak Collection....that ran just...so bad :(.

RK128

30 fps? Thanks, you just saved me 30 bucks.

Why can't the Vita run a damn PS2 port without significant downgrades?

What do you mean significant downgrade? The game running good at all is nice to hear; have you've seen gameplay of the Vita Jak Collection? That runs horrid on Vita compared to the originals, so at the very least Sanzaru are making sure the Sly Collection runs at a perfectly playable frame rate.

It sucks that the games aren't perfect ports (as 60FPS for a 3d platformer feels great; loved how the Jak/Ratchet/Sly games felt on PS2/PS3 Collection), but at least the games are in a playable form, rather than being dam butchered on their way to Vita...

rjc571

Banned
What do you mean significant downgrade? The game running good at all is nice to hear; have you've seen gameplay of the Vita Jak Collection? That runs horrid on Vita compared to the originals, so at the very least Sanzaru are making sure the Sly Collection runs at a perfectly playable frame rate.

Sly Cooper is 60 fps on the PS2. 60 fps -> 30 fps = significant downgrade.

VLiberty

Was the PS2 port of SAC really bad or something? They didn't develop the base game if your complains lay with that.
I know. The original game wasn't hot either, but, for what I remember(it's been a long time), the PS2 version wasn't a great port.

VanWinkle

The games are ports from the PS3 ports, so I suppose that is why ports of the HD collections run at 30/sub-30 FPS. Its a shame, but at the very least the Sly Collection will not run like the Jak Collection....that ran just...so bad :(.

The Jak Collection. Ugh. The most disappointing thing ever. J&D Precursor Legacy is one of my favorite games ever and it was basically unplayable.

MUnited83

For you.
The Jak Collection. Ugh. The most disappointing thing ever. J&D Precursor Legacy is one of my favorite games ever and it was basically unplayable.

Eh. It's not that bad. The first area is quite rough, yeah, but the framerate gets a little better after that.

RK128

Would have loved to play Jak 1 on my Vita but with the Collection being....so bad, I couldn't get the game knowing it ran like crap :(. I would have rather the game be at sub-native res if it meant the games would run better....

Peff

Would have loved to play Jak 1 on my Vita but with the Collection being....so bad, I couldn't get the game knowing it ran like crap :(. I would have rather the game be at sub-native res if it meant the games would run better....

It already was sub-native, lol.

Top Bottom