• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection PS VITA |OT| A Stealth Release

Peff

Really! I thought it was native res...makes the collection even worse now :(.

Even the PS3 version is sub-HD, which is why starting with that one was such a baffling choice. Starting with Sly or Ratchet (which was 1080p on PS3 so it should be relatively easy to port) would have been better.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
lordchompy said:
Is it so hard for vita to display a PS2 game at native res, or close to it, a la Metal Gear Solid Collection?
MGS runs in Wide-screen SDTV(720x448) - ie. it's basically PS2 resolution - not even close to Vita native, and it had no AA either to make matters worse. But yes, that's representative of every PS2 port on Vita so far - they all run at basically the same PS2-ish resolution - even full-blown remakes like P4 golden, and FFX/2.
Sly screens suggest it's sub-native, no-AA affair as well...

That GoW shot though - looks like PSP native resolution blown-up (well below PS2), it'd be pretty sad if that's real...

RK128 said:
The games are ports from the PS3 ports, so I suppose that is why ports of the HD collections run at 30/sub-30 FPS.
Irony here is that we have PS3 ports of real PS3 games on Vita running at 60fps, native with 4xAA. I guess logic dictates PS2 was more powerful than its successors after all. :p

rjc571

Banned
MGS runs in Wide-screen SDTV(720x448) - ie. it's basically PS2 resolution - not even close to Vita native, and it had no AA either to make matters worse. But yes, that's representative of every PS2 port on Vita so far - they all run at basically the same PS2-ish resolution - even full-blown remakes like P4 golden, and FFX/2.

That said - the GoW shot looks like PSP native resolution blown-up (so well below even PS2), it'd be pretty sad if that's real...

Why do you think the Vita has so much trouble running PS2 games at 60 fps? Even games that were originally 60 fps on the PS2, like Sly. Even if they were porting the PS3 versions, the games are still using PS2-quality assets and effects.

Drago

Mm, I don't know. The games look really crisp in the gameplay videos and even in most of the screenshots. I'd lean towards the games being native res, but I'm no expert in pixel counting :p

VLiberty

That GoW shot though - looks like PSP native resolution blown-up (well below PS2), it'd be pretty sad if that's real...

Irony here is that we have PS3 ports of real PS3 games on Vita running at 60fps, native with 4xAA. I guess logic dictates PS2 was more powerful than its successors after all. :p

2D games or 3d fighting games, maybe.

But I don't think there are 3d games on vita running at 60 fps. Which is a shame.

I wonder why...is the hardware architecture somehow fucked up?

Mm, I don't know. The games look really crisp in the gameplay videos and even in most of the screenshots. I'd lean towards the games being native res, but I'm no expert in pixel counting :p

Screenshots aren't native-res, but yeah, they really look good.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Drago said:
Mm, I don't know. The game looks really crisp in the gameplay videos and even in most of the screenshots. I'd lean towards the games being native res.
Yea you might be right - character outlines kind of distract at first and compression doesn't help, but it it is visibly sharper than other PS2 ports.
Any news on the framerate btw?

rjc571 said:
Why do you think the Vita has so much trouble running PS2 games at 60 fps?
For some ports it's obvious lack of time&resources (eg. J&D). Not really sure what happened with the likes of Persona or FFX - especially the latter being a 1st-generation PS2 game running on stuff that was still largely PS1 tech...

VLiberty

Yea you might be right - character outlines kind of distract at first and compression doesn't help, but it it is visibly sharper than other PS2 ports.
Any news on the framerate btw?

For some ports it's obvious lack of time&resources (eg. J&D). Not really sure what happened with the likes of Persona or FFX - especially the latter being a 1st-generation PS2 game running on stuff that was still largely PS1 tech...

Jak was a difficult game to port, but the Vita version was definitely a quick and lazy port, you can tell that by how they didn't bother to adapt the controls to the machine and just remapped the extra buttons to touchpad instead.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
VLiberty said:
But I don't think there are 3d games on vita running at 60 fps. Which is a shame.
Stardust, VT4, Sine Mora... And it's not like 60fps is common on any platform outside of 2d games (not counting PC). PS2 was probably the most stand-out console in that regard.

Jak was a difficult game to port, but the Vita version was definitely a quick and lazy port
Right - which is the case for a lot of other HD ports (not just on Vita) to be fair - the expectations are to get a return on next to no investment into the conversion.

VLiberty

cfcd81021a9e.jpg

Holy crap :(

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Was this posted yet? The uploader of Sly 1 and Sly 2 Vita uploaded footage of Sly 3 as well, showing the game on the Vita itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfjfyNzhmMs

The game looks like it runs good....surprising considering how the game uses heavy cell-shading! Looks like Sanzaru did a great job with this game too :).

Beaten :(. Glad the game is running good though :).

In the video and other 2 I saw it looks 60fps(as much as it will on youtube I guess) but De-mon says the collection is 30fps. No disrespect but I really hope De-mon is wrong otherwise 30fps is a little disappointing :)

So the games can NOT be bought individually then, is that right? Still unsure here but i feel like i'd have to buy the entire collection even if Sly 3 is the only one that i haven't played yet of the trilogy...

De-mon

In the video and other 2 I saw it looks 60fps(as much as it will on youtube I guess) but De-mon says the collection is 30fps. No disrespect but I really hope De-mon is wrong otherwise 30fps is a little disappointing :)

I can be wrong, of course. I'm not Mr. DigitalFoundry, only use my eyes. But if I have to put my hand in the fire, I say 30 fps, perfectly playable, like Thieves in Time on Vita.

Tsunamo

How is this handled on retail? Game card and download?
EB Games Aus's listing of the game indicates that Sly 1 and 2 will be on a gamecard and that Sly 3 will be a download code. (which would fall in line with 1 and 2 being bundled together when downloaded digitally)

CompC

Darn. My Vita is hacked so I can't use PSN unless I update. I was just planning on getting this at retail. I won't be able to download Sly 3 without forfeiting my hacked stuff. Hmm. Plus I need to tear out room on my card. Well, I'll probably update eventually.

Anyway I'm super excited for this. So much nostalgia. It's definitely time to play these again....in a month and a half when it comes out here. Lucky Europeans...

So I haven't played any Sly games but really looking forward to do so. I've got Sly Cooper: Thieves in time thanks to PS Plus but I don't how should I play them? are the first games worth it or should I just play 3 and 4?

Looks like the game is crossbuy in EU! Just snagged it for free ^-^. The game is up on PSN.

Time to finally give these games a spin. Got all 4 games to play on Vita now :lol.

Piccoro

I though the maximum size for a Vita game was 4GB?
Sly 1 Vita says 6.8 GB on the store!!! I couldn't even fit it in my 4GB card... :O

Omikaru

I though the maximum size for a Vita game was 4GB?
Sly 1 Vita says 6.8 GB on the store!!! I couldn't even fit it in my 4GB card... :O

The bundle takes up more than 7gb. The games are not launched as one app, however. I just went through the checkout (I can confirm that owners of the PS3 trilogy get it on Vita for free, by the way) and I got three downloads:

"Sly Trilogy" (3.3gb), "Sly 2" (1.7gb), and "Sly 3" (2.26gb).

Omikaru

The bundle is a bit screwed on PSN for me.

It seems I got Sly 1 & 2, Sly 2, and Sly 3 as separate downloads. You can also just download Sly 1 separately, but you need to do a separate checkout for it on your Vita. Not sure if it'll charge you again if you don't own the PS3 version, but I downloaded it for free since it's CrossBuy.

Omikaru

Drat. I was hoping for individual purchases. Cross buy is great, though.

You can buy each game on PSN standalone. £7.99 each.

Sly 1
Sly 2
Sly 3

If you bought the Sly Trilogy on PS3, these standalone versions for Vita are free too as far as I can tell, so you don't need to download all the games at once if your memory card isn't big enough.

KalBalboa

Banned
You can buy each game on PSN standalone. £7.99 each.

Sly 1
Sly 2
Sly 3

If you bought the Sly Trilogy on PS3, these standalone versions for Vita are free too as far as I can tell, so you don't need to download all the games at once if your memory card isn't big enough.

Is this true in the US as well? I have Sly 1 on PS3, so a Vita cross buy would be a great perk.

They physically can't fit them all on the cart.

I don't know if Sony has done this yet, but Nintendo usually comes out with larger capacity cartridges over the course of their systems' lives. 3DS card sizes go all the way from 1-8GB in size apparently.

Or they could just put two game cards in a box?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They physically can't fit them all on the cart.
Oh, I realize that.

I believe they should pack in two carts in order to allow for this.

While one could make the argument that the budget for Sly was simply too low to warrant this practice I'm pretty annoyed that Square-Enix went this route when the two games already existed on their own carts elsewhere.

For me, the real problem is that with the current account system I'm screwed when I buy the games. I live in Europe but am from the US and use an American account. As a result, the codes included in these games are unusable for me. I didn't realize this was the case with FFX-2 and was pretty pissed when I couldn't access the game.

Bauer91

Cudder

I know this might seem outlandish, but I'd actually love to see a Sly game come out for PS4, but instead of cartoon aesthetics, to instead go for a SUPER realistic looking approach.

If not that, I'd love to see visuals on par with the stylized Sly Cooper movie. The cartoon look is fun and all, but playing a Sly game that looks like this would be totally hnnnnnnngggg:

That said, I'm playing through Thieves in Time on my Vita right now and am really enjoying it.

Top Bottom