• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Inferno313 said:
Speaking of which, did that really happen that way? That was the one point in the movie that I was taken out of it and thought: "Really now?." But, If it happened that way, then I guess it happened that way.

The way Parker was portrayed in the movie, it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if he'd kept tabs on Mark, found out about him planning to head to LA, and conveniently made nice with the girl across the street.

Solo said:
The way Parker was portrayed in the movie, it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if he'd kept tabs on Mark, found out about him planning to head to LA, and conveniently made nice with the girl across the street.
That's the vibe I got in the film as well. He brushed off why he was across the street in a very quick and odd manner. Then he basically moved in for free and ended up making millions.

Solo

Definitely. Its funny, because while Mark Zuckerman is a sleazeball to the highest degree, Sean Parker seemed to outstripe him quite handily.

Is this film's social relevance a consequence of Fincher's direction and Sorkin's writing, or due to the very nature of the Facebook story and the film's timely release? I don't mean this as a knock against the film itself, which is incredible to behold, but the film's sociological relevance almost seems like an incidental quality. To be fair, there is some added commentary social networking peppered into the script, but most of it seems fairly self-evident if you've ever actually thought about the "Internet-age."

I feel like I'm not doing an excellent job of articulating this idea, but I figure some of you may have some kind of response to it either way.

Solo said:
Definitely. Its funny, because while Mark Zuckerman is a sleazeball to the highest degree, Sean Parker seemed to outstripe him quite handily.
You really thought he was a sleazeball to the highest degree?

He just seemed like a work-obessessed loner that was highly influenced by those ppl (esp. Parker) around him.

I don't think they were actually neighbors. It came off as incredibly fake to me when he showed up at the door, as an incredible ploy at manipulating Mark.

edit: And Sean even says later when they're at the club that he's homeless.

Solo

Expendable. said:
You really thought he was a sleazeball to the highest degree?

He just seemed like a work-obessessed loner that was highly influenced by those ppl (esp. Parker) around him.

Sure, he had Parker in his ear, but Parker had nothing to do with him freezing out the twins and starting Facebook, steamrolling them in the process. And even with Parker in his ear, a person doesn't make a decision like cutting his best friend out without having the desire to do so himself. As the movie portrayed, it seems that Zuckerberg had some long held resentment of Saverin/jealousy issues.

Zuckerberg was, I think, portrayed pretty well: he was a weirdo/loner/genius with an asshole streak in him, but he did have a softer side that made him at least somewhat relatable.

BTW, in real life, did he ever become friends again with the
girl he sent a friends invite to?

In the film, especially the intro in the bar, I kept thinking of Will Hunting with how Zucker presents himself in a social situation.

Robot 492

Banned
I saw this movie last night with zero expectations, and while I did enjoy it, I still felt like it was waaaaaay overrated.

I mean, the writing is brilliant, the score is great, and the acting is, well, better than expected; yet, when the credits rolled, I didn't really feel anything. The movie just . . . ended. I loved the cast, and I thought Eisenberg portrayed Zuckerberg perfectly, but again, the film did nothing for me. It's good, no doubt, but certainly not the best of the year.

For me, the best part of the entire film was
Eduardo's reaction to finding out that his share of the company had been reduced to 0.03% (or whatever the amount was). That whole scene was really well acted and believable, I thought. I'm assuming Zuck did that because he was jealous, or maybe he was influenced by Parker. Or maybe it was a combination of both of those things. Either way, that was a great scene, in my opinion.
I kind of wish they would have focused a bit more on that plot point. In fact, there were a few different plot points that I think could have used more focus. Ah well.

Of the five movies I've seen this year (The Social Network, Inception, Shutter Island, Kick-Ass, The Other Guys), I'd probably rank TSN at #2, behind Inception.

NGAMER9

nskinnear said:
Eduardo's reaction to finding out that his share of the company had been reduced to 0.03% (or whatever the amount was). That whole scene was really well acted and believable, I thought. I'm assuming Zuck did that because he was jealous, or maybe he was influenced by Parker. Or maybe it was a combination of both of those things. Either way, that was a great scene, in my opinion.
I kind of wish they would have focused a bit more on that plot point. In fact, there were a few different plot points that I think could have used more focus. Ah well.
This, I thought it was amazingly well acted. Best scene in the movie easily.

hsin

Banned
Alucard said:
LvP3j.jpg

Cannot unsee.

nskinnear said:

Of the five movies I've seen this year (The Social Network, Inception, Shutter Island, Kick-Ass, The Other Guys), I'd probably rank TSN at #2, behind Inception.

I loved the scene too. Really well acted from Garfield especially, and I can't help but keep saying how surprised I was at Eisenberg's performance. I normally hate the kid but he was great in here. Timberlake wasn't bad either surprisingly.

My favorite scene from the film was probably the opening one though when he's discussing the exclusivity of the clubs while that grimy synth music kicks in and they start showing the club-houses. So sick.

Personally my favorite movies of the year now are:

1. The Ghost Writer
2. The Social Network
3. Scott Pilgrim

Inception probably won't even make my top 10 in the grand scheme of things.

nskinnear said:
I saw this movie last night with zero expectations, and while I did enjoy it, I still felt like it was waaaaaay overrated.

I mean, the writing is brilliant, the score is great, and the acting is, well, better than expected; yet, when the credits rolled, I didn't really feel anything. The movie just . . . ended. I loved the cast, and I thought Eisenberg portrayed Zuckerberg perfectly, but again, the film did nothing for me. It's good, no doubt, but certainly not the best of the year.

I basically agree with this. The film was impeccably crafted: beautiful cinematography, pitch-perfect editing (Mark writing Facemash was an awesome scene), compelling and well-directed scenes and Sorkin at the top of his form. No one can say Fincher doesn't know how to make a scene of people talking into amazing film. And yet, I just didn't feel much at the end of it, I didn't know what to think or what to feel about any of it. It just kind of built up and then petered out.

Despite that, I have an odd compulsion to go see it again. It's weird, it's like I got this intense rush of energy and joy while watching it, even if it didn't have a lasting effect on me.

faceless007 said:
I basically agree with this. The film was impeccably crafted: beautiful cinematography, pitch-perfect editing (Mark writing Facemash was an awesome scene), compelling and well-directed scenes and Sorkin at the top of his form. No one can say Fincher doesn't know how to make a scene of people talking into amazing film. And yet, I just didn't feel much at the end of it, I didn't know what to think or what to feel about any of it. It just kind of built up and then petered out.

Despite that, I have an odd compulsion to go see it again. It's weird, it's like I got this intense rush of energy and joy while watching it, even if it didn't have a lasting effect on me.

I think that's because it doesn't have an excitement value. I mean, the movie isn't THAT exciting, but it's pretty goddamn fascinating.

Robot 492

Banned
Discotheque said:
My favorite scene from the film was probably the opening one though when he's discussing the exclusivity of the clubs while that grimy synth music kicks in and they start showing the club-houses. So sick.
I really liked the dialogue between Zuckerberg and his girlfriend in the opening scene. I think that set up the rest of the movie really well, as it tells us right of the bat the type of person Zuck is.

Discotheque said:

1. The Ghost Writer
2. The Social Network
3. Scott Pilgrim

See, I still haven't seen most of the movies that people are putting in their top 10. I couldn't even make a top 10, since I've only seen five movies total from this year :p.

Korey said:
I have a legal question from the movie, and I'm not sure if it's spoilers or not but I'll be safe and put it in tags. Can someone comment on whether or not this is considered spoilers:

So if you share your idea, and the person you told it to goes on his own and does it, is he legally obligated to pay you in some way? What I'm asking is, how safe is it to share your ideas with other people, whether it be friends, potential future partners, etc. Is a contract always required?

A contract is really always required to be 100% safe. Ideas in and of themselves are not protected automatically. An idea must either be put to a fixed medium to copyright or submitted for a patent to become legally protected outside of a contract.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Re: How Parker showed up at Zuckerberg's house in Palo Alto, from a link GDJustin posted with some excerpts from The Facebook Effect book...

A block away in Palo Alto, Internet wunderkind Sean Parker was stressed out. It was a hot afternoon, and the skinny blond 24-year-old hated doing physical work. But his lease was up and he was short on cash. So there he was in June 2004 on the sidewalk in front of his girlfriend’s family’s house, unloading boxes from the white BMW he had bought when times were flush. When he noticed a group of boys heading toward him, he stiffened. His boxes contained expensive computer gear. He didn’t like the look of these kids — all wearing sweatshirts with hoods up despite the heat. He thought they had a menacing air, but the shortest one walked right up.

“Sean,” the guy said. “It’s Mark, Mark Zuckerberg.” Suddenly it all snapped into place. This was the guy he had met at dinner in New York City two months earlier, the kid who had treated him like a legend for his role in helping Shawn Fanning launch Napster. Later Parker co-founded another Internet company, Plaxo, a contact-info-management venture that had raised millions of dollars from investors. Lately Parker had run into trouble with his backers, who found him brilliant but unreliable. Yet to these 20-year-olds, Parker was an industry sophisticate.
It also points out how Parker was the only one staying at the house who was over 21 so he had to buy all the alcohol for the parties :lol

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/06/facebook-david-kirkpatrick/

Undeux

I thought it was a really good movie. I have doubts about it as a factual representation of everything that happened, and particularly of Mark Zuckerberg's character, but it's a great movie anyway.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I thought the movie was sweet. Favorite part was the FaceMash scene. The music provided just an awesome subliminal intensity to the whole thing. Loved it.

Robot 492

Banned
Undeux said:
I thought it was a really good movie. I have doubts about it as a factual representation of everything that happened, and particularly of Mark Zuckerberg's character, but it's a great movie anyway.
The story was obviously exaggerated to appear more interesting. Zuckerberg even stated that a lot of the drama and partying seen in the film is fiction.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I know they temped the film with NIN's Ghosts, but I surprised at how much of it they used in the film. Does the soundtrack have all the Ghosts tracks they used as well, or is it just the new stuff?

MoFuzz

Spire said:
I know they temped the film with NIN's Ghosts, but I surprised at how much of it they used in the film. Does the soundtrack have all the Ghosts tracks they used as well, or is it just the new stuff?
A Familiar Taste is basically Ghosts 35 and Magnetic uses parts of Ghosts 14. That's all I've picked up on so far...Might be more.

I enjoyed this movie alot. The 2 hours flew by, but I was kind of disappointed by the ending. It just ended abruptly and I had no clue it was ending at that part. Seems like it should have had an extra 15-30 minutes added. The movie stopped around the time they had 1 million viewers right? Was that in 2004 or 2005? Also I was reading online that Sean Parker was fired from Facebook. Does he still own 7 percent of it?

Solo

BoboBrazil said:
Also I was reading online that Sean Parker was fired from Facebook. Does he still own 7 percent of it?

This is stated in the movie. Near the end, an attorney asks Mark what has become of Sean Parker (who seemingly has disappeared at this point) and Mark responds only that he still owns 7% of the company.

Solo said:
This is stated in the movie. Near the end, an attorney asks Mark what has become of Sean Parker (who seemingly has disappeared at this point) and Mark responds only that he still owns 7% of the company.

Ah ok. Yeah it seems like he got fired because of the cocaine incident at that party they showed in the movie.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I agree with being underwhelmed.
I'm a huge David Fincher fan; absolutely love Seven, Fight Club and Zodiac. His direction saves the movie IMO. The whole thing is just so damn predictable. The entire movie just leads towards the line
we've diluted your shares to 0.03%
and you can see it coming a mile away. Honestly, for me the highlight of the movie was the first 10 minutes. The girlfriend scene followed by this amazig sequence: the facemash juxtaposed with club scene combined with the music and Eisenberg's narration. The movie peakes with that scene and doesn't surpass it any further. My problem is that you just don't feel sympathic for anyone in this film. Every character is an uncharismatic douche. Zuckerburg is a boring know-it-all. The Winklevoss are spoiled brats. Parker is a degenerate schizo. Except for Eduardo. And even then, what did he really contribute to the idea or execution of Facebook? I mean, yes the whole idea of Facebook coming from Zuckerburg is so hilariously ironic: millions of friends for the loneliest guy in the world. I guess I just wish the subject matter was a bit more... interesting. So yeah it's a good movie don't get me wrong. Some of the performances were fantastic. The direction and music was amazing. But the script just bored me and because of that - it doesn't stand next to Inception or Black Swan this year IMO.

"Every character is an uncharismatic douche." That's the impression I got from the trailer and why I have no interest in seeing the film.

Solo said:
Sure, he had Parker in his ear, but Parker had nothing to do with him freezing out the twins and starting Facebook, steamrolling them in the process. And even with Parker in his ear, a person doesn't make a decision like cutting his best friend out without having the desire to do so himself. As the movie portrayed, it seems that Zuckerberg had some long held resentment of Saverin/jealousy issues.
that was the point, yes. absolutely. from the opening of the film, they made sure to show how poorly he reacts to things that don't go according to his plan...things that he doesn't like. he enacts revenge. whether it's the ex, the twins or even his best friend. hurt his feelings (even unintentionally) and sooner or later you'll look up and this mothafucka suddenly doesn't even know your name anymore.

that's the kind of person NOBODY wants to deal with. which is what makes it so bitterly ironic that he's principally responsible for the biggest social invention in the last 20 years. you'd think it would have been someone that wasn't so socially challenged.

I think that conflict is what makes the film so special.

BoboBrazil said:
Ah ok. Yeah it seems like he got fired because of the cocaine incident at that party they showed in the movie.
I still can't believe he dissolved his best friends holdings while letting this douche keep his.

it's just...that shit is beyond me, sorry. that shit would not have went down so smoothly if I was that CFO.

Dreams-Visions said:
that was the point, yes. absolutely. from the opening of the film, they made sure to show how poorly he reacts to things that don't go according to his plan...things that he doesn't like. he enacts revenge. whether it's the ex, the twins or even his best friend. hurt his feelings (even unintentionally) and sooner or later you'll look up and this mothafucka suddenly doesn't even know your name anymore.

that's the kind of person NOBODY wants to deal with. which is what makes it so bitterly ironic that he's principally responsible for the biggest social invention in the last 20 years. you'd think it would have been someone that wasn't so socially challenged.

I think that conflict is what makes the film so special.

It wasn't even his idea. He stole it from the rowing guys and did it himself I think as a kind of fuck you, because his ex liked rowing guys.

BoboBrazil said:
It wasn't even his idea. He stole it from the rowing guys and did it himself I think as a kind of fuck you, because his ex liked rowing guys.
Yep.

I hope the movie is greatly embellished. If it's not, Zuck is one sad, pathetic little mothafucka. With a lot of money...but still a very sad individual. I hate sensitive, bitter types.

Ashhong

lawblob said:
That's what i've been wondering. Was he just lying about that, or is there some truth to it? Was that Sorkin's way of revealing that Eduardo was so out of the loop on the technology / functionality development of Facebook that he was still in NY selling it as a small-potato college picture book, while everyone else in CA was light years beyond that already?

goddamn dude, you are reading too much into it :lol These guys are Harvard grads..I'm sure they can figure out how to go into their profile settings.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Is anyone else bothered by the sexism exhibited in this film? I'm not sure if this is a result of Sorkin's writing (he has been accused of sexism in the past) or that Zuckerberg is a douche when it comes to dealing with women, or the male dominated nature of the tech industry, paralleling as rock stars attracting groupies, but I do have to agree with Roger Ebert's assessment in particular
the Asian girls that gravitate toward Mark and Eduardo. They add nothing productive to the plot other than fawn over the fact that they own Facebook, and even though the girls are Harvard students, they are completely shut out of making decisions about running the company. Finally when Eduardo starts dating one the Asian girls, she becomes a jealous, screeching harpie who makes his life miserable.

richiek said:
Is anyone else bothered by the sexism exhibited in this film? I'm not sure if this is a result of Sorkin's writing (he has been accused of sexism in the past) or that Zuckerberg is a douche when it comes to dealing with women, or the male dominated nature of the tech industry, paralleling as rock stars attracting groupies, but I do have to agree with Roger Ebert's assessment in particular
the Asian girls that gravitate toward Mark and Eduardo. They add nothing productive to the plot other than fawn over the fact that they own Facebook, and even though the girls are Harvard students, they are completely shut out of making decisions about running the company. Finally when Eduardo starts dating one the Asian girls, she becomes a jealous, screeching harpie who makes his life miserable.
can't make clear the new level of "cool" without groupies driving the point home and sucking dicks. it is the quintessential barometer on the collegiate scene anyway, so the audience (teens and 20-something collegiate types?) can easily identify.

fuck the PC crowd. life isn't politically correct.

Aselith

The whole thing is just so damn predictable. The entire movie just leads towards the line
we've diluted your shares to 0.03%
and you can see it coming a mile away.

You must be Nastradamus or something! You predicted that he would be cut out of the company? That's insane. The only clues you had were all of the scenes where they were meeting with lawyers and Severini was suing Zuckerberg for cutting him out of the company that led up to that scene. How did you puzzle that one out?

This is not an M. Night Shymalan movie. That wasn't meant to be a twist, chief.

Aselith said:
You must be Nastradamus or something! You predicted that he would be cut out of the company? That's insane. The only clues you had were all of the scenes where they were meeting with lawyers and Severini was suing Zuckerberg for cutting him out of the company that led up to that scene. How did you puzzle that one out?

LOL hit the nail right on the head. What the fuck @ predictable.

This isn't Shutter Island.

Aselith said:

I didn't know that asking for a movie to not be telegraphed a mile away = demanding a plot twist. Boring subject matter is boring; the movie plays out exactly how you think it will. If you're satisfied by that, cool. I wasn't, get over it.

How the hell could they NOT telegraph this a mile away?

It's like walking into that Danny Boyle movie and being absolutely shocked that the guy chops his own arm off.

Aselith

I didn't know that asking for a movie to not be telegraphed a mile away = demanding a plot twist. Boring subject matter is boring; the movie plays out exactly how you think it will. If you're satisfied by that, cool. I wasn't, get over it.

Just so you know the Titanic sinks in Titanic.

Also it's telegraphed because the movie is about their broken relationship. Fincher wants you to look at how Zuckerberg acts towards Severini from the standpoint of knowing what is coming and seeing just how clueless Severini is and how Zuckerberg acts towards him. He wants you to see the jealousy over the Phoenix shit in light of your forknowledge, he wants you to see how Zuckerberg acts towards the twins in light of what is coming.

I'm satisified with it because he accomplished what he went for. You wanted some sort of twist which is not what the movie is meant to do. You don't like it and that's ok but getting all critical because it broadcasts what is meant to be broadcast is borderline retarded.

Aselith

yet the story after it sets sail and just before it sinks is still interesting. wah wah

Same for The Social Network for a seeming majority of people. The movie didn't appeal to you.

Kevtones

Discotheque said:

1. The Ghost Writer
2. The Social Network
3. Scott Pilgrim

I like the way you think/have good taste.

Just because everyone else is:

Top 5.

Tie
/cop out
1. The Social Network
1. Inception
3. Toy Story 3
4. The Town
5. Scott Pilgrim

Honorable Mentions: Winter's Bone, Cyrus, Kick-Ass and a few more I'm probably forgetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom