• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit-Bit

DevelopmentArrested said:
David Fincher is kind of crazy..

99 takes for the first scene in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZEKgCBAZlA&feature=player_embedded#!

In the special features of Benjamin Button, all of the actors talked about how Fincher took like hundreds of shots of every scene. Apparently he loves the fact that digital cameras allows him to keep rolling until he's content.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
The movie was amazing

BTW: I've been listening to the soundtrack for a few days now and love it but I can't for the life of me remember when "magnetic" and "complications with and optimistic outcome" play in the movie and its driving me crazy.

Can anyone help?

ApopkaATM said:
The movie was amazing

BTW: I've been listening to the soundtrack for a few days now and love it but I can't for the life of me remember when "magnetic" and "complications with and optimistic outcome" play in the movie and its driving me crazy.

Can anyone help?

Reznor has said not everything from the score is in the film. He wanted to separate the two and make a "good album" that flows together.

Duality

theignoramus said:
Excellent film, Sorkin should get an Oscar for his script, it's brilliant.
Surprised by how actively hostile the film is to Zuckerberg, he comes off as a socially awkward, double dealing backstabber....utterly unlikable.
Whatever the validity of that, the Mark Zuckerberg I saw with Diane Sawyer and Oprah does not appear to have the blundering awkwardness of Jesse Eisenberg's Zuckerberg.
MZ has received training over time to overcome his awkward demeanor.

Fatalah

Expendable. said:
Reznor has said not everything from the score is in the film. He wanted to separate the two and make a "good album" that flows together.

Darn, that will probably keep it from being nominated for an Oscar. Funky Oscar rules.

exarkun

I need to know this: Is this movie better than Zodiac? I know comparisons are bad, but I only get to see two movies this weekend and the gf wants to see Easy A (which I hear is pretty good actually) I really wanted to see The Town when it originally came out so...

But just go Social Network right?

exarkun said:
I need to know this: Is this movie better than Zodiac? I know comparisons are bad, but I only get to see two movies this weekend and the gf wants to see Easy A (which I hear is pretty good actually) I really wanted to see The Town when it originally came out so...

Social Network is among, if not, the best film of year. Do whatever you can to catch this film. I loved the Town. This should take precedence though.

Throughly fucking enjoyed this earlier today. Will see it again tomorrow likely. Currently listening to the soundtrack. Movie of the year material.

exarkun said:

LOL fuck The Town man. What a waste.

Go see Social Network...twice.

joedrum

the second song from the soundtrack entitled "in motion" is my fucking jam right now. love this movie and love aaron sorkin

Saw it for a second time last night. Even after knowing that The Winklevoss twins are one guy, it was very hard to tell. I only noticed one instance where I could pretty comfortably say there was a double being used. I also caught a few things in the dialogue that I missed the first time. It's not a film that gets better upon 2nd viewing, but it was still very enjoyable.

Blader

Saw it this afternoon. Loved it. Far exceeded my expectations and I even *liked* Jesse Eisenberg in this!

I still have some problems with it, including a few Eisenberg moments (not to contradict what I just said above), but regardless, it's definitely one of my favorite films of the year.

Oh, and Armie Hammer totally sounds like Jon Hamm.

kaskade

This movie was damn good. Wow. I may be coming down from a post movie high but I may have liked that better than Inception. Trent's soundtrack was amazing.

As a little side note, I'm already really excited for the girl with the dragon tattoo.

beelzebozo said:
true that.

see SOCIAL NETWORK once.

go home, watch HEAT.

eat popcorn. red icee optional.

Yeah. My bad guys. Watch The Social Network and then go home and watch the million-times better version of The Town, a small film by the name of Heat.

With one of the most fapworthy endings of all time as opposed to the big emotional copout ending of The Town.

Blader5489 said:
Oh, and Armie Hammer totally sounds like Jon Hamm.

Yes he does. He sounds like a real muthafucking man. Did you know he was cast to be Batman in Miller's failed Justice League film? As bad as the rest of the casting in that movie was (lol Baruchel as the main villain), he would have been a really boss Batman.

And yeah I'm totally excited for Dragon Tattoo remake now. Initially I was like eh whatever because the original was pretty lame, but man if Fincher keeps up his momentum then it's bound to be sick.

Oh wait....he followed up Zodiac with Benjamin Button though....I'll stay skeptical.

Bishman

The Social Network is the best movie I've seen this year besides Inception. What a great movie. Anyone else thought the soundtrack was amazing? Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross: The Social Network has been on repeat all day. It is great to study to. Get my Mark Zuckerberg on.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
fun fact: Some of the scenes from Social Network were shot my college, Cal State Domniguez Hills. They took this empty room and remodeled it with computers and what not.
Also, Tom Hanks new film, Larry Crowne, was also filmed at me college too. Well some of it.

Just got back from watching it and I gotta say I loved it, it's right up there with inception as the best movie i've seen this year. Even though I hate when Fincher uses digital effects to show "realistic" things (breathing fog in the snow) I didn't mind it as much in this movie whereas i hated in zodiac.

does anyone know a good article that describes what happened to the fbook guys from the movie?

McNei1y

Just got back from seeing this movie as well. Awesome. It's incredible that a story (whether it is 100% true or not) like this could develop from an idea. I was so unaware.

Question (spoilers)

Why did Zuckerburg drop Eduardo's share down to .03%? Is it because he was "failing" at finding ad's?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One thing I really liked about seeing this movie tonight is finding out there's a NIN Ghosts sequel for me to buy now. Which is hilarious, since they used a couple of songs from Ghosts in a few scenes. That album is a masterpiece, and I can only hope Trent keeps doing instrumentals in the future.

McNei1y said:
Just got back from seeing this movie as well. Awesome. It's incredible that a story (whether it is 100% true or not) like this could develop from an idea. I was so unaware.

Question (spoilers)

Why did Zuckerburg drop Eduardo's share down to .03%? Is it because he was "failing" at finding ad's?

the way it was portrayed in the movie was either that he wanted to get back at saverin for freezing their accounts or that Sean Parker did it just to cut Saverin out and become the most influential "business" mind at fbook

CFMOORE!

WascallyWabbit said:
the way it was portrayed in the movie was either that he wanted to get back at saverin for freezing their accounts or that Sean Parker did it just to cut Saverin out and become the most influential "business" mind at fbook

it's also portrayed that mark's overall grudge with him and jealousy was him getting invited to that exclusive club. they basically make mark out to be a spiteful vindictive little shit. which i can believe he is.

CFMOORE! said:
it's also portrayed that mark's overall grudge with him and jealousy was him getting invited to that exclusive club. they basically make mark out to be a spiteful vindictive little shit. which i can believe he is.

also it can be viewed as mark feeling that saverin could no longer keep up with the global vision of the company. which doesn't mean u should screw someone like that, but when mixed with 20 yr old mindsets, alcohol, and egos u could see how it got out of control

Discotheque said:
Yes he does. He sounds like a real muthafucking man. Did you know he was cast to be Batman in Miller's failed Justice League film? As bad as the rest of the casting in that movie was (lol Baruchel as the main villain), he would have been a really boss Batman.

And yeah I'm totally excited for Dragon Tattoo remake now. Initially I was like eh whatever because the original was pretty lame, but man if Fincher keeps up his momentum then it's bound to be sick.

Oh wait....he followed up Zodiac with Benjamin Button though....I'll stay skeptical.

stop reposting everything coloroutofspace says on IGN as your opinion

McNei1y

CFMOORE! said:

While he may be a spiteful, vindictive little shit, I guess the only way to really show it was through a fake story by saying Mark wanted to be in the final clubs when actually he didn't.. according to Mark.

I don't know much about him except for Wiki and this movie, but he seems like a good guy who made dumb shit mistakes. I wouldn't fuck over someone who was funding my idea. That was fucked up for sure though. The cause for doing it, though, I can't seem to find.

Yo bitch that was totally right though. Just because I used the same words doesn't mean I'm copying his opinion. That was some emotional copout shit. He articulates better so I thought I might as well use that term instead of saying:

"I didn't like the movie because Ben Affleck was a bank robbing asshole and then became Robin Hood in the end blah blah".

F U PF :lol I knew it was you. And I totally think Hammer would be a cool Batman, but yeah I found out he was cast as it in ColorOutofSpace's post. (Oh wait...you said emotional copout didn't you? All y'all niggas post the same)

Plumbob

CFMOORE! said:
it's also portrayed that mark's overall grudge with him and jealousy was him getting invited to that exclusive club.

Really? I thought that by the end of the movie they were so far removed from the Harvard clubs that bringing them up made it seem like he was reaching for a good reason his friend would kick him to the curb so hard, which showed the total disconnect going on.

Discotheque said:
Yo bitch that was totally right though. Just because I used the same words doesn't mean I'm copying his opinion. That was some emotional copout shit. He articulates better so I thought I might as well use that term instead of saying:

"I didn't like the movie because Ben Affleck was a bank robbing asshole and then became Robin Hood in the end blah blah".

F U PF :lol I knew it was you. And I totally think Hammer would be a cool Batman, but yeah I found out he was cast as it in ColorOutofSpace's post. (Oh wait...you said emotional copout didn't you? All y'all niggas post the same)

nah that was him.. the ending of the town just reminded me of the somewhat nauseating voiceover from a clint eastwood movie.. or shawshank redemption i think is what i said.

Renner was cool though, for the limited screen presence he was given. However whole thing just felt forgettable in the end, and it didn't help that I watched Heat later.

Anyways back to Social Network. I liked this score by a commercial pop music artist more than the There Will Be Blood one by the other member of a commercial pop music artist.

McNei1y said:
While he may be a spiteful, vindictive little shit, I guess the only way to really show it was through a fake story by saying Mark wanted to be in the final clubs when actually he didn't.. according to Mark.

I don't know much about him except for Wiki and this movie, but he seems like a good guy who made dumb shit mistakes. I wouldn't fuck over someone who was funding my idea. That was fucked up for sure though. The cause for doing it, though, I can't seem to find.

agreed that mark is a pretty sympathetic character, and while he certainly wasn't justified in screwing over saverin, i can definitely look back at my life and remember some f***ed up stuff i did that were overreactions to tiny slights.

I think that Finals Club jealousy thing was just to add some movie-drama. Both Sorkin and Fincher said that they clearly had to embellish some things to make it enjoyable for the audience.

Zuckerberg just iced him out because he was doing a shit job, as bad as I felt for him. He did deserve his cut because of the initial investment, but yeah he was doing crappy job. Parker was doing the better work for the company.

McNei1y

Discotheque said:
I think that Finals Club jealousy thing was just to add some movie-drama. Both Sorkin and Fincher said that they clearly had to embellish some things to make it enjoyable for the audience.

Zuckerberg just iced him out because he was doing a shit job, as bad as I felt for him. He did deserve his cut because of the initial investment, but yeah he was doing crappy job. Parker was doing the better work for the company.

Agreed. Zuckerburg definitely deserved the settlement cases. I mean that's such a slap in the face to give someone 30% to .03%. Sean definitely seemed to have a big influence on it. I think after realizing Sean was a unbalanced person (the cocaine party) I would have agreed to anything Eduardo was saying since he could be trusted. Still felt bad for Zuckerburg though. The twins got 65 million for pitching an idea that may have sparked the creation of facebook... bastards.

On another note, I'm still shocked that Sean Parker had anything to do with Facebook. I was oblivious to the creation of facebook, let alone the creator of Napster had a big part in facebook. It's really cool in a way. Where the twins were referring to Zuckerburg stretching out to Stanford as a reason to get to Sean? It may be obvious but I can't say for sure.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Savarin's shares were diluted just so Mark could consolidate his power, plain and simple. Mark controls three of Facebook's five board seats too, something the movie didn't even touch on :lol It had nothing to do with anything that happened at Harvard or any other bullshit. Savarin wasn't really onboard with Mark's vision so he cut him out. BTW he actually owns 5% of Facebook... IDK why the movie made the figure so much lower. His share is worth $1.5 BILLION, and he has to do nothing for it. Not bad for being fucked, is it?

I think a lot of people that have seen the flick but don't know much or don't follow silicon valley won't appreciate how amazing it is that mark has retained complete and utter control of Facebook all these years. And he always will. There was talk ~3 years ago about bringing in a "real" CEO to provide some "adult supervision" for Facebook, ala Eric Schmidt at Google.

...no one suggests that sort of thing as being likely, anymore :lol

Anyway, I liked the movie quite a bit, but it isn't really true to life. I mentioned it several pages back in this topic, but if anyone is interested in the true founding of Facebook, check out the book The Facebook Effect.

It's amazing. The shit Mark Z. had to deal with at age ~20 are ethical and business dilemmas most people will never face their entire lives. The real story is just as dramatic as the fictional one. One bit that stood out to me is when Yahoo was mulling buying Facebook. Mark was WORRIED that they would offer ~$1 Billion for the company, because that was an amount so large he couldn't ignore it. Any smaller offers he could just blow off. But for 1B he would have to consider it and make the tough call, and he didn't want to have to do that. Crazy! :lol

D23

Bishman said:
The Social Network is the best movie I've seen this year besides Inception. What a great movie. Anyone else thought the soundtrack was amazing? Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross: The Social Network has been on repeat all day. It is great to study to. Get my Mark Zuckerberg on.
couldn't agree more

border

I hated the dumb "Finals Clubs" angle for Zuckerberg. It's not in the book, not remotely at all. In the book it's made pretty clear that Zuck didn't care about them, and that they were a world he would never be admitted to anyway since they were about being social and being part of an old-money aristocracy.

Even in the film there's that scene where he's taken to the greeting room of The Porcelain, and it seems pretty clear they have no regard for him other than as a hacker. Zuckerberg doesn't seem all too interested in making much of an impression there either, yet still they play up this dumb idea that he wanted to get in so bad he'd burn Eduardo over it.

Blader

border said:
I hated the dumb "Finals Clubs" angle for Zuckerberg. It's not in the book, not remotely at all. In the book it's made pretty clear that Zuck didn't care about them, and that they were a world he would never be admitted to anyway since they were about being social and being part of an old-money aristocracy.

The book is about as much a real-life portrait as this film.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Saw the film, and while I can agree the film was excellently produced, well acted and well scored, I just can't say I really loved it, and I never even approached any sort of feeling that this was something that could be considered worthy of the high high praise it was getting. It had great moments, nice little punches, but as a cohesive whole, the characters just didn't connect with me. I just didn't find much in it that really brought an emotional reaction to it. It kind of felt like I was watching a film I had already seen before, just the beats and emotions felt too familiar or standard, even tho they were done in an exceptional way. Ultimately I'd give it somewhere about 7-8, but I can't say it felt like a film worth rewatching all that much, so idk where the score will be years from now.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Was anyone else bothered by the girl from The Office on the defense legal team? I kept thinking, "What are you doing here? You work at Dunder Mifflin..." That is my only gripe about this movie.

Dabanton

It's this and Black Swan tied for my movies of the year at the moment . I love it when a film has no room for the more slower members of the audience. This was a sink or swim movie.

Talk and miss a detail fuck you too bad keep up,no text on the screen to say we've jumped forward or backwards in time you should be paying attention same sort of mindset Fincher had with Zodiac glad his brought it to this as well.

Remember when people on GAF laughed at the thought of 'The Facebook Film' beating "Movie of the forever" Inception at the oscars well that has become a reality. :lol

Dabanton said:
Remember when people on GAF laughed at the thought of 'The Facebook Film' beating "Movie of the forever" Inception at the oscars well that has become a reality. :lol

I loved Inception, hell I even made the official thread. But did anyone seriously think it would be a strong Best Picture contender?

Dabanton

Expendable. said:
I loved Inception, hell I even made the official thread. But did anyone seriously think it would be a strong Best Picture contender?

Go back through the hype thread and the official thread some people were seriously suggesting it has to be nominated or it would be an outrage.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Dabanton said:
Go back through the hype thread and the official thread some people were seriously suggesting it has to be nominated or it would be an outrage.

Still true, considering ten films are to be nominated now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom