• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Push Fat Kids said:
This film was a pseudo-mockumentary and a damn good one at that. Sorkin nailed it and Fincher is officially back.

Also, I had no idea I joined Facebook that early. I've been on there since Mid/Late 2004.
I joined pretty late. 2006 or something. :p

Solo

Expendable. said:
my friends and I just repeat the
"you better lawyer up asshole, because I'm not coming back for just 30%"
monologue to each other all day.

That wasn't so much a monologue as it was a single line. You just left off the last part "I'm coming back for all of it".

Broadbandito said:
qfmft

completely blown away. I wanted the theatre to just start it back up so I could see it again right away. I had goosebumps through the entire film. Fincher/Sorkin collab is fucking genius. The score was incredible as well

I'm glad to see people are loving the movie (even if I don't share the reaction), but seriously? You had goosebumps in the opening scene?

Barrett2

The more i reflect on this, the more I enjoyed it. The way they presented several sides of a contested explanation of events in such an artful, compelling and fun manner is just great. It's amazing to think that Parker managed his inject his way into the company and is now a billionaire because of it. Crazy.

For those interested in seeing Andrew Garfield in other things, the Red Riding series, about the 1974 Ripper murderer in England, is on Netflix instant watch.

I'm just starting it now.

Really excellent. Those final two minutes were fucking OH MY GODASDJFLASDJF

seriously, the final shot was perfect. "He is the youngest billionaire in the world." But he still isn't happy

I thought it got a little dry in some parts but yeah. Go see it!

cabottemp

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
The Winkelvoss Twins
were played by the same actor and a stand in who was digitally replaced by the first guy.

are you fucking kidding me?

that's it, this is film of the year. I'm so sorry, Mr. Nolan :(

dudeworld

DeathNote said:
The whole movie seems to be built around "I can own you verbally in a prick-ish genius way" and yet the real guy is nothing like this. He stumbles over words. Jesse makes a better MZ than he can ever dream to be. I like movies where the actor tries to live up to someone with an impressive personality/mannerism, not an actor completely making someone impressive in that regard. If you met him in real life you'd think "lol".

lol whenever I see/hear the trailer on TV and the guy playing Mark is verbally owning someone is a prick-ish genius way it sounds as if the audio is sped up because he's talking so fast and perfect. It sounds fake.

I noticed this right away and since then I haven't been able to take the trailers very seriously

BenjaminBirdie said:
The Winkelvoss Twins
were played by the same actor and a stand in who was digitally replaced by the first guy.
Yeah, I was pretty stunned to discover this. I can't think of another director who uses special effects more effectively than Fincher. It's amazing how he seamlessly integrates them into his films.

After a day of reflection, I still think it's a fantastic film, but I'm still disappointed by the characterization of Zuckerberg. He comes across as a borderline sociopath, which seems like such a cop-out.

Fugu

When going into this movie, I assumed (having known the story of Facebook) that this movie was either going to be vastly unfactual or just outright boring (because the story itself really isn't that interesting). I was delighted to find that they went for the former route and I enjoyed the film more than I had initially expected to.

However, I wasn't particularly floored by anything but the soundtrack, and I don't personally feel that this is anything more than just a good movie.

BertramCooper said:
Yeah, I was pretty stunned to discover this. I can't think of another director who uses special effects more effectively than Fincher. It's amazing how he seamlessly integrates them into his films.

After a day of reflection, I still think it's a fantastic film, but I'm still disappointed by the characterization of Zuckerberg. He comes across as a borderline sociopath, which seems like such a cop-out.

Don't forget that, most of the time where you think he looks like a sociopath, that's based on a declaration from Eduardo/Twins.

Don't forget that the entire intro is based on a declaration by Erika, not by true events. He even says "That's not how it happened", but we don't know what of the intro didn't happen that way.

It's interesting if you look at the movie as three seperated tales. Mark almost never speak or declares anything, but when he does, it's much more nuanced than the rest of the movie.

Lkr

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. At first I was skeptical of Timberlake being in it, but he wasn't bad at all

Saw it last night. Good movie. Good script actually - it`s pretty rare these days to have a nice dialogue-heavy film with a decent plot. I still stick to my earlier interpretation that this isn`t some mindblowing revelation of our times, but otherwise it was really entertaining. I would put it at a solid 85%.

BenjaminBirdie said:
The Winkelvoss Twins

Yea there were a more than a few of scenes where they used
digitial enhancements. The part where zuckerberg takes his friend out to discuss something in the cold - their breath is entirely computer graphic effects.

Ashhong

BenjaminBirdie said:
The Winkelvoss Twins

Ah, when I read your initial post I was expecting some kind of mind blowing scene or something and didn't see it haha. The twin thing will do though. Really puts that
"two of me"
line into perspective :lol

If the movie is drawing comparison to Citizen Kane, then this can`t reflect well at all on Zuckerberg`s character.:lol
I kind of applauded the guy, I saw his modest little house (which he rents) and his modest girlfriend on Oprah, he seems down to earth.

oatmeal

Banned
dragonfart28 said:
digitial enhancements. The part where zuckerberg takes his friend out to discuss something in the cold - their breath is entirely computer graphic effects.

And it looked horrible.

oatmeal

Banned
I think they pulled it off pretty well in Titanic, actually.

It's just so clear...reduce the opacity so you can see it, but it's not in your face.

theignoramus said:
If the movie is drawing comparison to Citizen Kane, then this can`t reflect well at all on Zuckerberg`s character.:lol
I kind of applauded the guy, I saw his modest little house (which he rents) and his modest girlfriend on Oprah, he seems down to earth.
he seems like a douche who can't handle most social situations. typical of the hardcore nerd type. and to make it worse, he seemed to be an expert at "getting people back" for things he didn't like about them, their associations, or frustrations regarding him.

it was kinda sad. I hope that's not how he was in real life.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Kagari said:
Good movie. Makes me not ever want to use facebook though.

This. If Diaspora (that open source alternative people are working on) ever gets off the ground, I'm nuking my Facebook account.

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask.
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Name withheld]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They 'trust me'
Zuck: Dumb fucks.

Littleberu said:
Don't forget that, most of the time where you think he looks like a sociopath, that's based on a declaration from Eduardo/Twins.

Don't forget that the entire intro is based on a declaration by Erika, not by true events. He even says "That's not how it happened", but we don't know what of the intro didn't happen that way.

It's interesting if you look at the movie as three seperated tales. Mark almost never speak or declares anything, but when he does, it's much more nuanced than the rest of the movie.
But I'm not convinced that the film was ever truly switching perspectives.

IMO, the legal hearings merely framed the film. I never got the impression that we were actually jumping into the memories of the different characters. Perhaps you're right, but to me, the entire film appeared to be from an objective, third person point of view.

Ashhong

Littleberu said:

I thought that the intro sequence DID happen, but what Erika told the lawyers was something else that we don't get to hear. There wasnt anything..incriminating in the opening sequence, I don't see what he would be so shocked about.

edit: what Bertram said.

dragonfart28 said:
Saw it last night. Good movie. Good script actually - it`s pretty rare these days to have a nice dialogue-heavy film with a decent plot. I still stick to my earlier interpretation that this isn`t some mindblowing revelation of our times, but otherwise it was really entertaining. I would put it at a solid 85%.

That one was extremely obvious. I was very distracted by it.

Everything else was perfect though.

oatmeal

Banned
Quick random question...

In what scene is Zuck and a dark haired girl in the back seat of a car.

I get Videography magazine, and the feature was on the RED workflow on TSN.

And one of the pictures is in a studio with full blue-screen and a car with Zuck and a girl in the back.

I've seen it twice and I don't remember any car scenes.

oatmeal said:
Quick random question...

And one of the pictures is in a studio with full blue-screen and a car with Zuck and a girl in the back.

After they meet Sean Parker for the first time.

oatmeal said:
Quick random question...

Probably when he and Wardo and his girlfriend were getting driven back from their first meeting with Sean.

(Cannot fucking believe I remember that.)

oatmeal

Banned
Expendable. said:
After they meet Sean Parker for the first time.

YES!

That's it...I'm stupid. Eduardo isn't in the picture so I was really confused. It's really small so I couldn't see who the dark haired girl was.

Thanks!

I kept thinking of Prince Williams whenever the twins were on screen. :lol

My favorite cinematography shot that has the 'Fincher' look like in most of his movies was the
party in the house upstairs. The lighting that illuminated from the lightbulb contrasting with the dark was amazing. Well, the entire shot inside the house while the camera was moving from right to left was amazing.

Davey Cakes

It's interesting how Facebook progressed.

I didn't start using it that much until a few years ago, but I first joined it while it was still exclusive to schools. I even remember when it opened up to everyone (thus pretty much becoming a MySpace clone), but was set apart by little things like not having ads. MySpace died for me because of ads and spam, but Facebook for the most part stayed "cool" in that it wasn't overrun by that bullshit and remained a relatively clean site.

oatmeal said:
YES!

That's it...I'm stupid. Eduardo isn't in the picture so I was really confused. It's really small so I couldn't see who the dark haired girl was.

Thanks!

Wardo was probably all CG in that scene or something I bet.

:lol :lol

oatmeal

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Wardo was probably all CG in that scene or something I bet.

:lol :lol

:lol

My favorite shot (other than the entire race with TS lenses) was the shot that moves through the window at the party. Guy is outside playing music on his guitar, you can hear the bass from the music inside, goes through the glass and the music is loud.

Amazing.

I was super impressed by the club scene, personally; the way that the music played against the dialogue worked extremely well, I thought.

The thing that impressed me was Sorkin/Fincher's ability to turn Zuckerberg's "I'm CEO, bitch" business cards into a little piece of personal tragedy, as opposed to the bit of douchiness that we all assumed they were. Granted, they probably ARE just a random act of douchiness, but it's a movie; liberties are allowed, and that was a very effective one.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I was super impressed by the club scene, personally; the way that the music played against the dialogue worked extremely well, I thought.

The thing that impressed me was Sorkin/Fincher's ability to turn Zuckerberg's "I'm CEO, bitch" business cards into a little piece of personal tragedy, as opposed to the bit of douchiness that we all assumed they were. Granted, they probably ARE just a random act of douchiness, but it's a movie; liberties are allowed, and that was a very effective one.

Wait, Zuckzo really has those?

oatmeal

Banned

Yes, the mix there was impressive.

However, the mix at the beginning in the pub with Erica was pretty bad. I couldn't hear their dialogue very well either time I went.

I mean, i could hear it, but it was almost straining on my ears.

oatmeal

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, Zuckzo really has those?

He has two sets (there is two boxes in the film) in real life, one has the "bitch" on it, the other just reads CEO.

He hands them out depending on where he is.

Ashhong said:
I thought that the intro sequence DID happen, but what Erika told the lawyers was something else that we don't get to hear. There wasnt anything..incriminating in the opening sequence, I don't see what he would be so shocked about.

edit: what Bertram said.

Because everything played against him in the intro. Life doesn't go like that. The conversation was way too forced and brutal against him to make any kind of sens. I know, that's how Sorkin write, but I somehow believe that they indeed never showed us the true story, at least, not Mark Zuckerbeg one.

the movie is simply sublime in its ability to do all the little things right.

My only real criticism of the film is that the characters are far too short-tempered and snarky with each other. It doesn't feel natural in how quickly they're all willing to say something very blunt or hurtful. Aside from that, though, I really have no qualms to make with the film. It feels like everything between "You're an asshole" and
"You're not an asshole, you just try really hard to be"
is one giant roller-coaster ride to prove the latter statement true, which I absolutely love.

NGAMER9

Just saw it, thought it was great. Thought it was well written, wonderfully acted, just a great movie. The Eduardo stuff especially really resonated with me.

Anth0ny

Just watched it. Great film, but not quite on Toy Story/Inception's level. Not that that's a bad thing... those movies are some of the greatest ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom