• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoFuzz said:
Dayyyumm. I wonder what The Zuck is thinking/feeling on a day like today.

He seems pretty non-chalant in interviews. A couldn't care less attitude if you will. Still, as true or untrue as the film is, it must be upsetting on some level for him as many people will see it as a 100% accurate account of the events.

He's probably just wired in.

Solo

Hrmmm.....here is a movie that felt like it was less than the sum of its parts. I liked it but I didn't love it, and it surely won't be topping my 2010 list.

Its got some very clever writing, its beautifully shot and directed, and the casting is *mostly* fantastic, and yet the end result for me when the end credits rolled was a feeling of indifference. For as technically proficient and well-written as it is, it failed to leave any sort of impression on me whatsoever. Nothing resonated, and it sure as hell isn't "the ____ of our generation!". I didn't care for any of the characters, and the thematic depth doesn't come close to reaching the brilliance of a Zodiac. I am a Jesse Eisenberg fan, having loved him in The Squid And The Whale and Zombieland, but good christ was he ever miscast here.

File me under entertained but letdown.

Solo said:
Hrmmm.....here is a movie that felt like it was less than the sum of its parts. I liked it but I didn't love it, and it surely won't be topping my 2010 list.

Its got a great some very clever writing, its beautifully shot and directed, and the casting is *mostly* fantastic, and yet the end result for me when the end credits rolled was a feeling of indifference. For as technically proficient and well-written as it is, it failed to leave any sort of impression on me whatsoever. Nothing resonated, and it sure as hell isn't "the ____ of our generation!". I didn't care for any of the characters, and the thematic depth doesn't come close to reaching the brilliance of a Zodiac. I am a Jesse Eisenberg fan, having loved him in The Squid And The Whale and Zombieland, but good christ was he ever miscast here.

Hm.

I thought it all came together so well. Maybe because the screening I was at was a replacement for a screening on Tuesday where the sound broke and so I literally saw the first shot of the film like twenty times as they were trying to get the sound working, so the final shot of the film resonated so strongly in contrast. And it kind of just went back and informed my opinion of the whole piece, seeing it as one cohesive and profound whole.

Solo said:

Its got a great some very clever writing, its beautifully shot and directed, and the casting is *mostly* fantastic, and yet the end result for me when the end credits rolled was a feeling of indifference. For as technically proficient and well-written as it is, it failed to leave any sort of impression on me whatsoever. Nothing resonated, and it sure as hell isn't "the ____ of our generation!". I didn't care for any of the characters, and the thematic depth doesn't come close to reaching the brilliance of a Zodiac. I am a Jesse Eisenberg fan, having loved him in The Squid And The Whale and Zombieland, but good christ was he ever miscast here.

Yep, when I first saw it that is how I felt to an extent. The entire thing has been reeling through my mind these last three weeks though. I would go as far to say its themes had quite a big effect on my recent personal life. That is something very few films can do.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Wes said:
Gone from sceptical yet vaguely interested due to Sorkin involvement to must see opening night.
This is how I feel about this film.

I've started watching West Wing. shit is hot. I am excite.

Solo

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hm.

I thought it all came together so well. Maybe because the screening I was at was a replacement for a screening on Tuesday where the sound broke and so I literally saw the first shot of the film like twenty times as they were trying to get the sound working, so the final shot of the film resonated so strongly in contrast. And it kind of just went back and informed my opinion of the whole piece, seeing it as one cohesive and profound whole.

I think this is the difference between your response and mine. I didn't find anything especially fresh or profound about
him starting the movie throwing away the girl to achieve his dreams only to end the movie pining over what he gave up after achieving said dream
. Its been done many times (I don't say that as a criticism as everything's been done many times) and done better.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Solo said:

Its got some very clever writing, its beautifully shot and directed, and the casting is *mostly* fantastic, and yet the end result for me when the end credits rolled was a feeling of indifference. For as technically proficient and well-written as it is, it failed to leave any sort of impression on me whatsoever. Nothing resonated, and it sure as hell isn't "the ____ of our generation!". I didn't care for any of the characters, and the thematic depth doesn't come close to reaching the brilliance of a Zodiac. I am a Jesse Eisenberg fan, having loved him in The Squid And The Whale and Zombieland, but good christ was he ever miscast here.

That sounds like my initial reaction to Zodiac. But the film stuck in my head and I watched it again in theaters by the time I watched it a third time on
HD-DVD
, I was in love.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Spire said:
Half the things on that list appear in one version of the story the film presents, but not the others. The other half aren't relevant to the story the film is trying to tell, which is not about Facebook. This isn't a documentary, it's a dramatization and if you're going to get grumpy because the date of Parker's cocaine arrest is off or Dustin Moscovitz isn't as good a programmer as he's portrayed in the film, I really don't think you understand what this movie is trying to do. And also, the integrity of that article is questionable but whatever. Even if it's all true it doesn't matter as none of that effects the themes of the film.

I'm not grumpy. I'm not attacking the film. There is no need to defend the film, because I'm not attacking it. No matter how many times I state this as clearly as I can, people like you keep replying with replies... like yours.

All I'm saying is the film isn't that accurate to what really happened, and if people do want to know what really happened, they should read The Facebook Effect.

I'm not passing judgement on the film for not being accurate. I'm not saying this makes it bad, or trying to detract from it in any way. I don't know why you're assuming I don't understand what the movie is "trying to do" like I'm an idiot. I have made absolutely 0 statements about what the film is "trying to do." All I have done is provide (several) reputable Silicon Valley sources that state that the movie is a work of fiction and most of the events in it didn't happen.

The craziest thing is, every movie based on real events is incredibly fictionalized. Everyone knows this. It's so common that something like SNL might parody it. Yet I still get replies like yours.

Literally the only thing I am trying to do in this topic is steer people to a book I enjoyed immensely that tells the true story of the founding of Facebook. Because I thought some people that dug the film might enjoy the read. It is the same as someone liking the movie JFK, and then reading a biography of its protagonist Jim Garrison.

Solo said:
I think this is the difference between your response and mine. I didn't find anything especially fresh or profound about
him starting the movie throwing away the girl to achieve his dreams only to end the movie pining over what he gave up after achieving said dream
. Its been done many times (I don't say that as a criticism as everything's been done many times) and done better.

I just mean, directly the shot.
He's sitting across from her at a table at the beginning, and he's sitting across from her at a table at the end.

It's been done before, I guess, but, I don't know. It worked for me.

Solo

Spire said:
That sounds like my initial reaction to Zodiac. But the film stuck in my head and I watched it again in theaters by the time I watched it a third time on
HD-DVD
, I was in love.

I was in love with Zodiac from day one. Easily the best thing Fincher has done in my eyes. TSN is a massive step up from Benjamin Button, but it doesn't approach Zodiac's heights.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
GDJustin said:
I'm not grumpy. I'm not attacking the film. There is no need to defend the film, because I'm not attacking it. No matter how many times I state this as clearly as I can, people like you keep replying with replies... like yours.

All I'm saying is the film isn't that accurate to what really happened, and if people do want to know what really happened, they should read The Facebook Effect.

I'm not passing judgement on the film for not being accurate. I'm not saying this makes it bad, or trying to detract from it in any way. I don't know why you're assuming I don't understand what the movie is "trying to do" like I'm an idiot. I have made absolutely 0 statements about what the film is "trying to do." All I have done is provide (several) reputable Silicon Valley sources that state that the movie is a work of fiction and most of the events in it didn't happen.

The craziest thing is, every movie based on real events is incredibly fictionalized. Everyone knows this. It's so common that something like SNL might parody it. Yet I still get replies like yours.

Literally the only thing I am trying to do in this topic is steer people to a book I enjoyed immensely that tells the true story of the founding of Facebook. Because I thought some people that dug the film might enjoy the read. It is the same as someone liking the movie JFK, and then reading a biography of its protagonist Jim Garrison.

Well if all you intended to do is promote the book, you can understand how someone might misconstrue your posts since only one of the links even mentions that book and the articles trumpet the "glaring lies" of the film and call it an act of "cold-blooded revenge" by someone with a beef against Zuckerberg.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Spire said:
Well if all you intended to do is promote the book, you can understand how someone might misconstrue your posts since only one of the links even mentions that book and the articles trumpet the "glaring lies" of the film and call it an act of "cold-blooded revenge" by someone with a beef against Zuckerberg.

*shrug*

I haven't really found any Silicon Alley blog that hasn't stated that the movie is a work of pretty much pure fiction. And I work here, so I really ALL the blogs. None of them have come out and said "according to our sources this really is how it truly went down"

SAI tends to be more... inflammatory than others. But TechCrunch, Mashable, ReadWriteWeb, GigaOm, VentureBeat, etc., have all said pretty much the same thing.

All this of course has 0 bearing on whether the movie is any good or not. And of course it has nothing to do with what the movie is "trying to do" (I am still irked about that comment).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Well don't ever watch Citizen Kane, they don't even get William Randolph Hearst's name right.

Aesius

Solo said:

I could not disagree with you more. I've seen a few interviews with Zuckerberg, and for me, Eisenberg WAS Mark for the entire two hours he was on screen. I thought he played the role to perfection, and was by far the best part of the film.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Brilliant movie. On so many levels. So enthralling and heartbreaking at the same time.

What's even more amazing is that the personality of Zuck seems really consistent with programmer friends of mine i work with. They get high on the adrenaline of coding for 30 hours straight, and thats the rush they care about. Little things like friends and connections are semantics to them they dont feel they need. Zuck needing that stuff through the guise of a computer program is amazing.

Movie totally nailed it.

Solo

Aesius said:
I could not disagree with you more. I've seen a few interviews with Zuckerberg, and for me, Eisenberg WAS Mark for the entire two hours he was on screen. I thought he played the role to perfection, and was by far the best part of the film.

I was extremely surprised (based on my reaction to the trailer) to find that the best part of the movie was the twins and their business partner. I was more enthralled with that plot thread than the Zuckerberg stuff.

Salazar

Veidt said:
This is how I feel about this film.

I've started watching West Wing. shit is hot. I am excite.

My WW Rewatch Project is up to the sixth episode of Season 2.

Ainsley = FAP.

I loved it. Then again, the whole "underdog rises up, gets what he wants, and realizes it's not what he really wanted" thing is easily my favorite general plot. One thing that I felt was wholly unique to this movie was how well it's last "Where they are now" fact resonated with
Zuckerberg hopelessly refreshing Erica's facebook page while the text beside him states that he's the youngest billionaire in the world
. Those little fact-oids typically seem like a quick way to tie up any loose ends, but it worked beautifully here.

Sai-kun

Banned
The soundtrack to this movie is FUCKING AMAZING. :D I lovs it.

For NIN fans, Track 3, A Familiar Taste, is an extended version of 35 Ghosts IV :D Quite an appropriate name!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Read the Armond White review. Did not disappoint. White is such a tool. :lol

Anyways, movie was awesome and really intelligently put together. Great stuff.

Saw it earlier today, I absolutely loved it. When I originally read about the movie, I laughed it off despite the talent involved, but the more I heard about it, the more interested in it I became, and I'm glad I saw it. The writing was about what I expected (helps that I recently finished the first four seasons of The West Wing) but the acting was what really impressed me, it was surprisingly great. Andrew Garfield deserves an Oscar nom for sure.

Loved the rowing scene with this playing, btw.

my friends and I just repeat the
"you better lawyer up asshole, because I'm not coming back for just 30%"
monologue to each other all day.

border

GDJustin said:
I haven't really found any Silicon Alley blog that hasn't stated that the movie is a work of pretty much pure fiction.

Pure fiction? Isn't that overstating it a bit much? Everyone seems to agree on the major events, though some of the side stuff is clearly invented and the truth of people's actual motivations are foggy. The major variations seem to be about whether Zuckerberg is a true semi-sociapathic megalomaniac, or just some spineless dork that can't find a cordial way to dump people that are obviously standing in the way of his aspirations.

cabottemp

Banned
Just got done with it.

This may or may not have been better than Inception. I need to sleep on this. At the very least, it was the second best film of the year.

On a side note, I like Nine Inch Nails. I think they are good, however I would definitely not put them in my top 10 favorite bands. But the soundtrack that Trent and Atticus created was absolutely phenomenal.

eLGee

Sai-kun said:
The soundtrack to this movie is FUCKING AMAZING. :D I lovs it.

This, this, so fucking this! Getting Trent Reznor to do the score was nothing less but a stroke of genius by Fincher. He really hit the head of the nine inch nail.

Excellent movie.

damn, Mark is a pathetic person when it comes to the social nuances of life and relationships. which, I guess, is the irony of it all.

Fatalah

Saw it tonight -- it was weird when I realized Zuckerberg is my age. "Ok in 2003 he was a sophomore... holy crap....I was a sophomore!".

It just boggles my mind how someone's life has been made into a movie, and he's my age. It happened all so quickly. A book, a screenplay, a feature film. What the hell.

Awesome soundtrack, great dialogue -- awesome movie.

Alucard

Banned
LvP3j.jpg

Awesome movie. What I love about Fincher is each flick is much different from his last.
Really subtle, restrained camera work was nice. Great writing. Score was brilliant.

Best film of 2010 by far.

Buckethead said:
Awesome movie. What I love about Fincher is each flick is much different from his last.
Really subtle, restrained camera work was nice. Great writing. Score was brilliant.

Best film of 2010 by far.

qfmft

completely blown away. I wanted the theatre to just start it back up so I could see it again right away. I had goosebumps through the entire film. Fincher/Sorkin collab is fucking genius. The score was incredible as well

BobDylan

just saw this movie. I really enjoyed it. at one point in the movie I said to myself "I am really enjoying this movie"
would see again. not in theaters but if it were on somewhere I would watch

Talon

Thought Jeff Jarvis' response to this movie was interesting. He thought Zuck was used as a cypher for this generation of millennial/silicon valley types, and that they weren't given a fare shake by the film - just given a cursory look as detached and sort of soulless by Sorkin.

Ashhong

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh, and the "big special effect" is absolutely fucking mindblowing if you ever stop to think about it, not just because of the tech, but because of the performance that constantly sells it.

And god damn, visually this movie is just gorgeous.

What big special effect?

parasight

Liked Andrew Garfield since I first saw him in Boy A. He was the star of the show here. Really good film. Fincher and Reznor really give the film a unique feel in every scene.

Kevtones

This film was a pseudo-mockumentary and a damn good one at that. Sorkin nailed it and Fincher is officially back.

Also, I had no idea I joined Facebook that early. I've been on there since Mid/Late 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom