• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Song above you... Rate it!!!

Classy Synth, played like an 80s japanese arcade guitar solo.

8/10

--

Devo - Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy

Love Devo, this record in particular, good job!

Saw B-52s in the related videos and I just feel obligated to put something from them, one of my favourite bands ever, no question.
Even though their songs are usually just fun and games I always thought the singing in this one makes it very dramatic.

The B-52s - Give Me Back My man

EDIT: And Cindy Wilson is just the cutest girl in the Universe in this video, my god

Dicer

Banned
Love Devo, this record in particular, good job!

Saw B-52s in the related videos and I just feel obligated to put something from them, one of my favourite bands ever, no question.
Even though their songs are usually just fun and games I always thought the singing in this one makes it very dramatic.

The B-52s - Give Me Back My man

EDIT: And Cindy Wilson is just the cutest girl in the Universe in this video, my god

8/10 love me some B-52s, damn they were young in that video....

Kraftwerk - The Robots

Despite not being too much a fan of the Phil Collins era, I actually enjoyed this track. I felt like the brass felt somewhat unnecessary though, the track would have been stronger without it (of course, it would have to be reworked a little to compensate).

6/10

Deep Purple - Knocking At Your Back Door

Yes, it's exactly what the title implies. Not kidding.

Enjoyed the parts where the guitar player riffed for a bit. His playing stands out most to me, compared to the innocuous singing and the rest of the band. 80s rock always cheeses me out.

Krampfhaft - Spit Thunder

awesome sauce
loved it

moondog - innvocation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv7DBHnOLrw

Hmm I think I get the point.

For what it is, its certainly different. Can't say I have even the slightest inclination of listening to it again though. It could be good in some movie though.

This is straight up hip hop, and I don't see many liking that here ... I'm not a big fan either, but I after a few listens, this really caught on. Just wanted to throw a curve ball

Far East Movement - Dirty Bass

edit: I can't really rate the song above, its just too divergent from what I listen to.

Permanently A

Hmm I think I get the point.

For what it is, its certainly different. Can't say I have even the slightest inclination of listening to it again though. It could be good in some movie though.

This is straight up hip hop, and I don't see many liking that here ... I'm not a big fan either, but I after a few listens, this really caught on. Just wanted to throw a curve ball

Far East Movement - Dirty Bass

5/10

Beat didn't really do anything for me and the lyrics were way too simple/generic for my taste in hippity hoppity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrcjzLxDBk

NinjaBoiX

Psyence Fiction is an excellent album, I hope you have all of it!

Lonely Souls is one of my favorite songs.

Something much different, Onra - One Day

....and if you liked Radio Birdman. The Atlantics - Lonelyhearts
Of course man! I'm a huge fan of Mr Davis, James Lavelle is OK I guess, but it's all about Shadow. This is on my bedroom wall:

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing by B+ said:
39unfqI.jpg

Seen him three times, what a dude.

Fun fact: "Lonely Soul" is the track Josh is most proud of. He spent 5 months perfecting it, and slipped a disc in his back sitting at the desk for so long.

Anyway, ratings:

Onra: 7/10 - Enjoyable, but kind of felt like a skit.

The Atlantics: Fantastic, I loved it! 9/10

Lamb - B-Line

AcridMeat

Banned
Of course man! I'm a huge fan of Mr Davis, James Lavelle is OK I guess, but it's all about Shadow. This is on my bedroom wall:

Seen him three times, what a dude.

Fun fact: "Lonely Soul" is the track Josh is most proud of. He spent 5 months perfecting it, and slipped a disc in his back sitting at the desk for so long.

Anyway, ratings:

Onra: 7/10 - Enjoyable, but kind of felt like a skit.

The Atlantics: Fantastic, I loved it! 9/10

Lamb - B-Line
Yes Shadow is one of my favorites. He actually lives in my town, I pass by his house pretty frequently. I saw him once in our local record shop too. He went straight to a new crate of records, flipped through it and left.

As for the song I liked the start, the chorus is a bit chaotic.
I dislike this vocalist a whole lot. Really annoying timbre and cadence. Music is okay, but nothing that stellar. 4/10.

ISIS - "Pliable Foe"
This reminds me a little bit of God Is An Astronaut and Jesu (song is Silver). A bit.
Song isn't rigid in its structure which is cool. Singing is alright and instrumental work is good, though anytime screaming is substituted for actual singing I tend to bail the fuck out. 7/10

O.C. - Born 2 Live
This is great, thanks! 90's era hip hop is something I've been listening to more recently, specifically Pharcyde (Oh Shit!).

Pro

This was awesome too. I was listening to a lot of surf rock a couple days ago!

The Ventures - Perfidia

I need to take a break from posting...

Too simplistic and too short. It'd be good for a chill day at the beach or the water park but I couldn't see myself wanting to listen to it in the car or at the gym. 4/10.

Now for some Seventh Wonder and about as close to perfection as you can get in a song (i.e. song writing, lyrics, technicality, vocal talent, etc...) Dat bass guitar.

Seventh Wonder - Break the Silence

AcridMeat

Banned
Too simplistic and too short. It'd be good for a chill day at the beach or the water park but I couldn't see myself wanting to listen to it in the car or at the gym. 4/10.

Now for some Seventh Wonder and about as close to perfection as you can get in a song (i.e. song writing, lyrics, technicality, vocal talent, etc...) Dat bass guitar.

Seventh Wonder - Break the Silence
Vocals weren't my thing but there were some good instrumentals! Reminded me a little of Animals As Leaders.

Funk time, one of my favorites. Third Rock - Pure Essence

Eh, it was OK. I like my dance music a little more energetic though, it felt a little staid.

6/10

Bill Withers - Use Me (live 1973)
Watch out for the broken guitar string near the end. You don't stop Bill when he's going for it, he keeps right on playing!

7/10. It wasn't bad, but it was a little repetitive and monotonous. I did appreciate him laughing a little after breaking his string and still playing because that's something I generally do when I make mistakes while performing.

Maritime- Peopling of London

I've been getting into this band called Maritime recently. They're part The Dismemberment Plan and part The Promise Ring.

7/10. It wasn't bad, but it was a little repetitive and monotonous. I did appreciate him laughing a little after breaking his string and still playing because that's something I generally do when I make mistakes while performing.

Maritime- Peopling of London

I've been getting into this band called Maritime recently. They're part The Dismemberment Plan and part The Promise Ring.

Nice, kind of too poppy for me but it did not bother me. 6/10

Lungfish - space orgy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2FNCAPs2LQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I hope GAF does not deceive me responding to this with an "it's boring and repetitive, blah blah blah...". Lungfish are fucking awesome.

Nice, kind of too poppy for me but it did not bother me. 6/10

Lungfish - space orgy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2FNCAPs2LQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I hope GAF does not deceive me responding to this with an "it's boring and repetitive, blah blah blah...". Lungfish are fucking awesome.

I like. Though it sounds like he's speaking to me and not singing. But I dig the composition.

Tame Impala - Apocalypse Dreams. Been listening to the album alot especially during work.

NinjaBoiX

I have not heard Liars that much but I always thought they have an amazing sound and are very original. This song I had never heard before and I completely loved it, I will for sure check out this record tomorrow.

Now for some punk. Not too many people know this band and that's a shame.

Bread and Circuits "End Of History"
Pretty sweet, took a little long to get into the vocal, but I enjoyed it.

7/10

Also, check out "They Threw Us All In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top" for some Liars goodness. "Mr You're on Fire Mr" is so good.

But I want to post PJ Harvey instead:

The Slow Drug

7/10

Also, check out "They Threw Us All In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top" for some Liars goodness. "Mr You're on Fire Mr" is so good.

The Slow Drug

Yeah, that's the Liar's record I have heard the most, Mr. You're on Fire is awesome, yes.

K.Sabot

7/10

The Slow Drug

Always was a fan of this song, sucks that it's remembered more for its remixes.

For the record, my favorite Liars album is Sisterworld, it's one of the most sinister and evil sounding albums I've had the privilege to listen to.

These New Puritans - We Want War

UrbanRats

Top Bottom