• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Stanley Parable |OT| Training Bicycles in the Art of Undoing Temporal Paradoxes

Real Hero

Ok think i missed something cool and don't how to get back to it
I got the heaven ending with the buttons and restarted, the room after the office was all blue! But I accidentally clicked Stanly's computer again ( so i went back to heaven) and had to restart again
and now it's just normal, really wish I could so see what had changed...

vehn

Ok think i missed something cool and don't how to get back to it
I got the heaven ending with the buttons and restarted, the room after the office was all blue! But I accidentally clicked Stanly's computer again ( so i went back to heaven) and had to restart again
and now it's just normal, really wish I could so see what had changed...

You randomly get that room after beating it. It's just a shortcut to the first split doors so is needed for the speed run acheivement. Also going through the door on the left in the blue room has an "ending" in there

clav

I've played the original source mod a few years ago, and I just played the demo.

While I enjoyed both, this game seems like a short thrill that perhaps may end (or rather fully explored) within 1-2 hours?

On the fence about buying it.

Zafir

I swear I've played something a bit like this before, but I can't even remember what...

Bought it anyway, should give a few hours of fun anyway.

I swear I've played something a bit like this before, but I can't even remember what...

Bought it anyway, should give a few hours of fun anyway.

The original mod, maybe? This is effectively the same thing (though with the awesome factor cranked to 11).

Edit: What is the
cardboard boxes
thing? That must be the only bit I haven't seen yet.

maxcriden

I even play at fairly high settings. You can set them lower if you need to. And I'm on a 2012 model, not a newer Air which would be better. A 2011 should be fine too at low settings. Which one do you have?

2011, I think. Got it in 1/2012. Works super smoothly but I never game on it. I'll definitely check out the demo when it comes to Mac. Thanks for the info!

The original mod, maybe? This is effectively the same thing (though with the awesome factor cranked to 11).

Edit: What is the
cardboard boxes
thing? That must be the only bit I haven't seen yet.
Occasionally you get a phone call in the first office place that asks about an order of 1000 of them. You click the phone to confirm. Next playthrough you see them :)

Just played for three hours straight. I finally had the credits roll but reading here it seems I still missed stuff. I haven't had a game make me smile and laugh like this since the Portal games.

And the
Minecraft/Portal
moment was by far my favorite surprise of the game

Hey, question:

On the wife/button pressing ending, does anything happen if you refuse to press a button for long enough? I waited probably about five minutes between presses on one, but nothing from the narrator. I would be highly surprised if there isn't SOMETHING that happens if you wait long enough.

kubus

I'm sorry if this is a really weird/stupid question, but is this game... scary?

I get scared from the stupidest things and it really gets in the way of enjoying games sometimes. For reference: I almost crapped my pants in Bioshock (1) but I somehow managed because the game was too awesome to stop. I thought some parts of Beyond: Two Souls were really creepy (but not scary). I had to play Alan Wake with a friend because I couldn't do it alone. And I can't play horror games myself, but I do enjoy watching my boyfriend play them, as long as I can hide behind a pillow (Zombi U).

From some screenshots this game seems to have a somewhat eerie vibe... I can get used to eerie, but are there jump scares and/or some parts that I might experience as scary/creepy? The jump scares is the most important part. I get heart attacks from those.

I really want to play this game!

Plasma

Banned
Hey, question:

On the wife/button pressing ending, does anything happen if you refuse to press a button for long enough? I waited probably about five minutes between presses on one, but nothing from the narrator. I would be highly surprised if there isn't SOMETHING that happens if you wait long enough.

I haven't tried waiting but you can unplug the phone.

Fret

I get scared from the stupidest things and it really gets in the way of enjoying games sometimes. For reference: I almost crapped my pants in Bioshock (1) but I somehow managed because the game was too awesome to stop. I thought some parts of Beyond: Two Souls were really creepy (but not scary). I had to play Alan Wake with a friend because I couldn't do it alone. And I can't play horror games myself, but I do enjoy watching my boyfriend play them, as long as I can hide behind a pillow (Zombi U).

From some screenshots this game seems to have a somewhat eerie vibe... I can get used to eerie, but are there jump scares and/or some parts that I might experience as scary/creepy? The jump scares is the most important part. I get heart attacks from those.

There's some surprisingly creepy moments with some realizations of the character, as you're all alone etc. I dunno, you might find it creepy.

kubus

There's some surprisingly creepy moments with some realizations of the character, as you're all alone etc. I dunno, you might find it creepy.
Thanks. I can handle a creepy atmosphere but for example things like:

Walk through a corridor, everything is fine. See something that you can interact with. Interact with it. Something happens/is triggered. Everything is still fine. Turn around, something is standing right behind you (fuck you bioshock infinite).

Stuff like that will make me Alt+4 like there's no tomorrow. Or if that doesn't work I'll throw my keyboard into the monitor :(

edit: I completely forgot there's a demo. I'll try that out now. If I can handle the demo, the full game should be fine right? I realize that there are different endings and some could be more creepy than others.

No jump scares, nothing like that. It's sort of eerie in the sense that Portal is eerie, I guess -- alone in some weird place with a disembodied voice talking to you. But really, it's just funny for the most part.

Metal B

Walk through a corridor, everything is fine. See something that you can interact with. Interact with it. Something happens/is triggered. Everything is still fine. Turn around, something is standing right behind you (fuck you bioshock infinite).

Stuff like that will make me Alt+4 like there's no tomorrow. Or if that doesn't work I'll throw my keyboard into the monitor :(
There is nothing like this in the game. At times its only a little creepy, since you are alone with the narrator...

Hah, holy shit - I was just walking through the second office and through the window to the right
I saw someone else walking down the coridoor :O

Just saw this picture in a friend's Steam image gallery:

CBE4BA860DAC5D8CE8B415E4CA22D1283CE0BBE1

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Awesome, thanks guys! Just booted up the demo :).

edit: demo was awesome. game is bought
Best part is the Demo has nothing to do with the game. And barely shows you anything from it. It's only to prepare you for the experience.

Enjoy! And don't be afraid to do whatever the heck you want just to see if it does anything.
When you get to the broom closet, go in it for example. Just go in it.

If you haven't, open the Demo again and play the EIGHT game.
And don't stop playing it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why on tuesday?
Achievement.

My question is
do you have to start it before midnight and keep it running until after the next midnight?

Edit: There's also an achievement for
NOT PLAYING THE GAME FOR 5 YEARS
as well as one
you can't even get

Achievement.

My question is
do you have to start it before midnight and keep it running until after the next midnight?

Edit: There's also an achievement for
NOT PLAYING THE GAME FOR 5 YEARS
as well as one
you can't even get

I'm guessing it has to be a full 24 hours...I'll probably start it before I go to bed tomorrow night.

Posted my review on my blog. I tried to avoid spoilers while also describing what makes the game so special. Which is hard because so much of the game is those fun, awesome moments. I wasn't sure about the game when I started but by the end, it was one of my top indies of the year

I was grinning so much during that
Minecraft/Portal moment

Posted my review on my blog. I tried to avoid spoilers while also describing what makes the game so special. Which is hard because so much of the game is those fun, awesome moments. I wasn't sure about the game when I started but by the end, it was one of my top indies of the year

Nice review! Oh, and can you spoiler tag the last sentence of your post? That's one of those moments that should really be a surprise for players.

megalowho

Had heard about this for years but never got around to trying the mod or demo. Just got done playing for a few hours going in blindly, saw credits and
the museum
. I'm kind of floored, and going by this thread I still have more to see. What an amazing thing that team has made.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What does that leave this thread with then? Seems a little backwards to have two threads up when there is literally nothing to discuss except spoilers.

What does that leave this thread with then? Seems a little backwards to have two threads up when there is literally nothing to discuss except spoilers.

It's nice to be able to have a "safe" thread for people just wanting to ask general questions about the game, and a "spoiler" thread where people can talk about anything they want without having to deal with tags. It happens quite often here for games that are spoiler-heavy. That one will likely get more traffic for awhile, but people can still pop into this thread if they haven't played the game, or just have general comments/questions about it.

Anyway, I added a link in the OP, thanks More_Badass!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It's nice to be able to have a "safe" thread for people just wanting to ask general questions about the game, and a "spoiler" thread where people can talk about anything they want without having to deal with tags. It happens quite often here for games that are spoiler-heavy. That one will likely get more traffic for awhile, but people can still pop into this thread if they haven't played the game, or just have general comments/questions about it.

Anyway, I added a link in the OP, thanks More_Badass!

I still don't really get it, just seems like making another thread for the sake of making it to me. Pretty much everything about this game is one giant spoiler.

Occasionally you get a phone call in the first office place that asks about an order of 1000 of them. You click the phone to confirm. Next playthrough you see them :)

I actually got that call, but I must not have started again after reaching an ending afterwards because I never saw the result. Damn.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I actually got that call, but I must not have started again after reaching an ending afterwards because I never saw the result. Damn.
Which office is this in? My office or another room? I have never heard a phone ring.

BraXzy

I spotted this on steam and instantly bought it based off of the trailer alone. It isn't quite as good as I hoped from the trailer, but it is fantastic anyway! Such an interesting idea.I love the narration, and all the different scenario's, I instantly disobeyed the second I was given a choice haha.

I'm just trying to remember the routes that I deviated from so that I can go back and go the other way. I've seen maybe
5 endings
so far.

Top Bottom