• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Stanley Parable |OT| Training Bicycles in the Art of Undoing Temporal Paradoxes

OMG, this game.

I'm one of those that tries every possibility in a game. This one is going to kill me.

Backup saves, ahoy!

You don't need backup saves. The game is meant to be replayed tons of times, and thus whenever you get an ending it takes you back to the "beginning" (well, almost every time), allowing you to make a different set of choices.

So I just downloaded this game the other night. This is like an experiment right? Well, fuck you narrator. I'm going to do what I please. *But I'm an idiot and I probably would have done what the narrator had told me until I listened to some podcasts. Man I'm so dumb.*

Chake

Banned
I just watched the Launch Trailer and feel like i spoiled a lot. I dunno, like i have a good idea about the game.

dramatis

I just watched the Launch Trailer and feel like i spoiled a lot. I dunno, like i have a good idea about the game.
You have not actually been spoiled. Perhaps it is quite cliche to say so, but in The Stanley Parable's case, it is much more about the journey than the destination.

MIlky1985

Banned
Later down in the AMA, he said "down" as a clue...

Up and down. Thanks a lot guys. =P

Actually that would make sense, everyone has been clicking on doors and walls and going left and right, and in my case
closing the door on the broom closet for a while :p

How many people have been looking at floors or ceilings?

Might just do that when I get home!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

1) Nothing was spoiled, and 2) no, you don't. Go play the demo first, then the game.

Is this thread really this dead? How is this possible? I think this might be one of my favorite games of all time. Where is everyone?

Stanley?

tesqui

I just never wanted this game to end!

Only thing close to what this game made me feel was Portal 2 and now I think i'm just gonna play that for the 5th time.

Trouble

Banned
Played the demo then picked this up yesterday. Really love it and wish there was more, I feel like I've hit all the major points/endings. I'm only missing the Tuesday cheevo.

Usually shattering the 4th wall is pretentious as fuck and annoying, but this game does it perfectly and it actually makes sense in the context of the narrative.

My absolute favorite thing was the
Confusion
path. The
Adventure Line
had me giggling.

The voice acting for the narrator is brilliant, almost on par with Stephen Merchant in Portal 2.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Played the demo then picked this up yesterday. Really love it and wish there was more, I feel like I've hit all the major points/endings. I'm only missing the Tuesday cheevo.

Usually shattering the 4th wall is pretentious as fuck and annoying, but this game does it perfectly and it actually makes sense in the context of the narrative.

My absolute favorite thing was the
Confusion
path. The
Adventure Line
had me giggling.

The voice acting for the narrator is brilliant, almost on par with Stephen Merchant in Portal 2.
Did you get the
Real Person Ending
yet? It's amazing.

Holy crap. Look at what The Stanley Parable is outselling in the Steam Sale today:

L9gejMZ.png

megalowho

Great to see The Stanley Parable lighting up Steam today. I can't believe this thread is so slow for a game that I'm still not quite over, seems like the kind of thing more people would be into on here. Looking forward to incoming impressions from the sales spike.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
The hardest part of the game is the don't-play-for-5-years achievement. Like anyone can not play The Stanley Parable.

Vaporak

So I saw the sale and downloaded the demo to see what the game is like. But holy crap what is up with the FoV, how do I set this damn slider to just have a standard FoV and not be warping the screen.

Trouble

Banned
The hardest part of the game is the don't-play-for-5-years achievement. Like anyone can not play The Stanley Parable.

Nah, hardest is the play for entire Tuesday. You can just set your computer clock ahead 5 years to get the 5 year cheevo.

Mabase

THIS GAME!

Very good, got a lot of different endings... now on to explore ALL OF THEM!!!

Finally, something fresh...

d00d3n

I have a question:

Is this worth buying even if you played through the mod version back in the day? I wasn't a big fan of the mod, but I have liked some other adventure games recently such as Gone Home.

I have a question:

Is this worth buying even if you played through the mod version back in the day? I wasn't a big fan of the mod, but I have liked some other adventure games recently such as Gone Home.

Very much so.

Try the demo if you aren't too sure. Actually, try the demo regardless. It's great in its own right.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Decided to say fuck it and bought it for the sale.

Literally the best experience I've had with a game since...hell, I can't even remember. I can't wait to have friends over and show them this.

Boy, this game. It's great but it's so exhausting. Doesn't help that it crashes occasionally, either. That doesn't reset my "progress" or anything, does it?

By which I mean, at one point the game reset and the first room beyond your office was way different, but then the game crashed and I haven't seen it since.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Boy, this game. It's great but it's so exhausting. Doesn't help that it crashes occasionally, either. That doesn't reset my "progress" or anything, does it?

By which I mean, at one point the game reset and the first room beyond your office was way different, but then the game crashed and I haven't seen it since.

That's...not a crash. That's by design. lol

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

You've been had! This game is so amazing.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
hmm..

I just played the demo of the game and am just wondering at wtf this game is?!
Im as wise as before....

maybe someone who played the demo and the full game can explain to me wehat the demo has actually to do with the game and all. Right now I dont have afucking clue if i might like the game because the demo does not show anything about it..

Either all the praise this game gets is for something im not understanding right now or the demo does the worst job any demo has ever done..

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
hmm..

Im as wise as before....

maybe someone who played the demo and the full game can explain to me wehat the demo has actually to do with the game and all. Right now I dont have afucking clue if i might like the game because the demo does not show anything about it..

Either all the praise this game gets is for something im not understanding right now or the demo does the worst job any demo has ever done..

The joke of the demo is that it doesn't actually explain anything, all while calling out the usual stuff demos are known for doing and taking a jab at focus testing environments.

Don't think of it as a game but more of a living commentary and comedy routine that plays to the strengths (as well as highlighting the weaknesses) of the video game medium.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
The joke of the demo is that it doesn't actually explain anything, all while calling out the usual stuff demos are known for doing and taking a jab at focus testing environments.

Don't think of it as a game but more of a living commentary and comedy routine that plays to the strengths (as well as highlighting the weaknesses) of the video game medium.

so is the demo representative for the final game?

so is the demo representative for the final game?
It is in the sense that if you enjoyed or didn't enjoy the demo your opinion of the full game will likely be similar. The type of humor in the full game is similar, thematically, to the type of humor in the demo.

Despera

Banned
hmm..

Im as wise as before....

I just played the demo at the same time as you and wanted to write my impressions here but changed my mind later lol.

I was actually amused by the content of the demo and enjoyed the humor quite a bit.

When the narrator said to
pick up the cup and drop it into the barrel as a test to prepare for the actual demo, I accidentally threw the cup behind an object in the environment and it got stuck. I thought the only thing I could do was restart the demo at that point, but the game actually adapted and continued regardless of whether or not I put the cup in the barrel.

I'm not sure if the full game is worth its price though so I'll probably wait for a sale.

Does anyone know if there's been any update of the mac version recently? I remember reading when it was released that Snow Leopard compatibility would come later... is that still happening?

Same with the demo, is that still being ported to OS X?

besada

Banned
Does anyone know if there's been any update of the mac version recently? I remember reading when it was released that Snow Leopard compatibility would come later... is that still happening?

Same with the demo, is that still being ported to OS X?

I picked it up off Steam yesterday and it worked fine. It needs 10.8 as far as I know.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Just picked this up for OS X. Been waiting for this for a while to release on mac.

Hope my year old Macbook Pro can handle it!

EDIT: Ok, it looks like the OS X update has been out since December last year? Not sure why Steam didn't download this for me automatically. Hmm.

Foshy

I want to buy it, but on the other hand Humble Bundle has this 2-week daily bundle special going on and I'm guessing that this game will end up on there too.

Decisions, decisions

Top Bottom