• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Strain S2 |OT| The Thirst Is Real - Sundays 10/9c

Season looks like a lot of fun. Premiere overall felt like one of the better season 1 episodes, I know some will say that doesn't mean much, but it gives me hope that they go up from here.

Wait, this is back? I somehow have not heard/seen a single thing about this series since last fall. Enjoyed season one, read the books in the time between now and then; I am more than on board.
Now I just need the Leftovers to randomly start up again.

I read the books a couple months back and loved the first, meh the second, and detested the third. First season was pretty meh to me. Not a fan of the rubber vampires and the hacker chick but I guess it wasn't completely terrible. I knew what I was getting into so my bar was set pretty low so I wasn't disappointed. Overall a good concept that falls flat after awhile. Eichorst was my favorite character from S1. Something really unnerving about him to me that the actor nailed imo.

Five minutes in the costumes seem to be even worse than season 1.

They really couldn't make this albino vampire look like he wasn't wearing a leotard?

Redd

Well I for one liked this episode. Strictly here for Abraham Setrakain , Eichorst, and Fet. Don't really care if the rest die. Setrakain mentoring Fet would be better without all that other bs.

Zalasta

That body suit on the creature (master?) in the flashback was such an eyesore, totally do not look like skin at all.

Nafai1123

Banned
People prefer old Zach to new one? Do you guys remember how fucking horrible he was? I'd give it a few episodes (or at least a few scenes) before declaring him a failure.

Premiere was OK, not great. Will still keep watching.

JdFoX187

Banned
People prefer old Zach to new one? Do you guys remember how fucking horrible he was? I'd give it a few episodes (or at least a few scenes) before declaring him a failure.

Premiere was OK, not great. Will still keep watching.

Can't stand his lisp or his haircut. Yeah, fairly shallow. Old Zach was annoying, but the kid actor wasn't nearly as bad as this little shit.

Premiere was fine, but my god at the amount of commercials. It felt like the hour and a half premiere was actually 40 minutes or something.
That body suit on the creature (master?) in the flashback was such an eyesore, totally do not look like skin at all.
Yeah I noticed this as well.

Hmm I didn't get that impression. I just thought he needed time to heal or find a new host so he gave her some new gifts to help run things while he's doing that. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Maybe you're right.

Guess we'll see how it plays out.

The old master(?) with the leotard puking worms was pretty gross.

It was, but I couldn't stop laughing at how bad the costume looked.

No she isn't. He just gave her back some of her individual thought and put her in charge of those kids to hunt them down while he heals and gets ready to find a new body.

Ah, okay.

I hope that's the case.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Why did they recast the kid?

They wanted a better actor for the role: Max Charles Joins ‘The Strain’ As Regular In Recasting

“It is a pleasure to welcome Max Charles to the cast,” The Strain executive producer/showrunner Carlton Cuse said in a statement to Deadline. “We recast this part due to some specific story needs we have downstream. We are sad to see Ben go. He is a very talented actor and a wonderful person. We will all miss him and thank him for his great work.”

Working with kid actors on a series is always tricky as they grow, change and mature as seasons go by. I hear the second season of The Strain features a deeply emotional storyline involving Zach’s character, and the producers looked for a young actor with a range that can accommodate that.

Burt

It was, but I couldn't stop laughing at how bad the costume looked.

The scrotum-throatum was a bit much, but I'm okay with it overall. Decent enough for FX.

Overall very good premiere. I wanted to like this show last season but was pretty meh on it. The premiere was much better than 90% of last season.

Unpopular opinion, but having read the books I understand why they cast an angrier, less cute Zack and I support the decision. Kid did fine.

cripterion

So you're telling me these presumably powerful ancients with tons of resources can't find the Master themselves and have to rely on an old man like Setrakian to do it for them? Okay.

Plot is all kinds of shit. I'm basically just watching cause ain't no good tv shows currently. And what's up with this fucking fake ass vampire suits? I've seen better stuff on Face Off... Also why would the need the Latino gangster for? Some stuff is just laughable.

Can't stand the doctor and his new kid either, I'm guessing they'll be there for the long run now that the wife gets to be a badass vamp.

Unpopular opinion, but having read the books I understand why they cast an angrier, less cute Zack and I support the decision. Kid did fine.

Yeah, same... [book spoilers ahoy]
So when the kid gets vamped, everyone will be happy and there won't be another Red Wedding situation

Plot is all kinds of shit. I'm basically just watching cause ain't no good tv shows currently. And what's up with this fucking fake ass vampire suits? I've seen better stuff on Face Off... Also why would the need the Latino gangster for? Some stuff is just laughable.

Can't stand the doctor and his new kid either, I'm guessing they'll be there for the long run now that the wife gets to be a badass vamp.

The Master obscures his presence to them and has eyes all over the city. The Ancients need human allies like Gus and Setrakian to strike when and where their private army cannot.

Add me to the list of those who thought the outfit in the beginning was distracting. I mean, it was just awful.

I also read the first and second books but I've forgotten so much.

Just watched it, I'm so glad that my wife and I weren't the only ones laughing at the original Master's leotard. I also agree with the new Zach, this one is not any better. If this is what we get, I'd rather they kept the original kid just for consistency's sake.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm basically just watching cause ain't no good tv shows currently.

co7GHGw.gif

Can someone explain me why the other Ancients cannot track the Master? Why do they need the old man to track them? Why did not the gangbusters join the team?

Man, sometimes, it is just not logical...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nothing about this show makes sense, starting with NYC not being under martial law and cleansed by fire upon discovery of the plague.

You just need to go with the flow.

Can someone explain me why the other Ancients cannot track the Master? Why do they need the old man to track them? Why did not the gangbusters join the team?

Man, sometimes, it is just not logical...

I think it was explained as one of the ancients being able to block itself from the others.

They were able to track it momentarily after the old man forced it into the sun in the season finale and weakened it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think it was explained as one of the ancients being able to block itself from the others.

They were able to track it momentarily after the old man forced it into the sun in the season finale and weakened it.

Yeah, the biggest question is why this bunch of ancient, rich fellows can't use their personal army to track him down and have to resort instead to gangbangers and decrepit old men.

Yeah, the biggest question is why this bunch of ancient, rich fellows can't use their personal army to track him down and have to resort instead to gangbangers and decrepit old men.

They are. At night.

You don't see the benefit of having human minions who can hunt during the day?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They are. At night.

You don't see the benefit of having human minions who can hunt during the day?

That wasn't inmediately clear to me, to be honest. In any case, it find lulzy that they find themselves so strapped that they need to recruit the lowest of the low instead of bankrolling a competent army of daystalkers.

Top Bottom