• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Strain S2 |OT| The Thirst Is Real - Sundays 10/9c

i dont hate ephs son from season one like everyone else but i do hate this new little evil bastard

Just watched the new episode. This new kid is SO over-the-top asshole that it's laughable. He comes on screen, head cocked to one side, full of attitude. I wanted to punch that kid like in the vidja-games when you go spinning in the air.

I don't get what's wrong with the old, kid, actually. He was sweet and naive and watching him grow was really cool. The new kid's casting is SO bad that I just can't believe that he made it onto the show…

Let me join the chorus of posts saying how much they hate the new kid. Show still isn't great, but if I can make it through the Walking Dead I can easily watch this.

Those "feeler" kids clicking really reminded me of The Last of Us.

That kid needs to die. Preferably soon.

and because of course, the speech meant to make Eldritch likeable had to have comparisons to 9/11.

Hamlet

Solid episode by the Strain standards, but Lol this new Zach is even worse than the previous one. Doesn't help that they're making him try to ruin everything.

How close is the show to the books?

I've only read books 1 and 2 so far. The plot at large is the same. A few things are out of order and the show has added some characters and entire scenes. Also apparently they are changing Quinlan/Vaun or whatever is happening there.

Major differences:
Dutch (the hacker) is a completely new character

The current testing/search for a cure by Nora and Eph is made for the show. At this point in the book, Eph has gone into hunting mode with Fet. Where the show currently is, in the same point in the book, Eph feels defeated because his specialty in science/medicine is useless now.

Eph does not have a terrible toupee in the books.

spoiler for season 1 or book 2 regarding Nora's mother:
her mother is still alive at the end of book 2, whereas she was killed in season 1

I've only read books 1 and 2 so far. The plot at large is the same. A few things are out of order and the show has added some characters and entire scenes. Also apparently they are changing Quinlan/Vaun or whatever is happening there.

Major differences:
Dutch (the hacker) is a completely new character

The current testing/search for a cure by Nora and Eph is made for the show. At this point in the book, Eph has gone into hunting mode with Fet. Where the show currently is, in the same point in the book, Eph feels defeated because his specialty in science/medicine is useless now.

Eph does not have a terrible toupee in the books.

spoiler for season 1 or book 2 regarding Nora's mother:
her mother is still alive at the end of book 2, whereas she was killed in season 1
Thanks!
As for Quinlan isn't this him?
E45FKre.jpg

inm8num2

Big mega spoiler for the end of season 2 based on the end of the second Strain book, The Fall. Don't click unless you've read the books!

I wonder how badly people are going to feel when Zach gets captured. :p

Thanks!
As for Quinlan isn't this him?
E45FKre.jpg

I guess so! I haven't seen this photo before, where is it from? The show character "Vaun" is Quinlan in the books. This new character on the show and in your pic, who they are calling Quinlan, I don't know what his deal is.

I guess so! I haven't seen this photo before, where is it from? The show character "Vaun" is Quinlan in the books. This new character on the show and in your pic, who they are calling Quinlan, I don't know what his deal is.
Someone captured this pic from a season 2 trailer should be on YouTube
I can't find that trailer now :(

inm8num2

Why should they? I'm already looking forward to the end of the series, when... too big a spoiler.

That's pretty much the entire point of making Zach less likable. It's cultivating a particular reaction from the audience.

"This new kid is kind of annoying."
"Zach sucks this season!"
"I hope Zach dies, he's the worst."
"Oh shit - Kelly captured Zach to turn him over to the Master?"
"Poor Zach. Maybe I didn't hate him that much. :("

raindoc

That's pretty much the entire point of making Zach less likable. It's cultivating a particular reaction from the audience.

"This new kid is kind of annoying."
"Zach sucks this season!"
"I hope Zach dies, he's the worst."
"Oh shit - Kelly captured Zach to turn him over to the Master?"
"Poor Zach. Maybe I didn't hate him that much. :("

nah. zack's becoming an even bigger asshole once he's with the master

Alpende

I'm enjoying season 2 so far but fuck me sideways does that kid make me want to commit sudoku. What a little turd.

He's got such an annoying face, and the way he talks is aggravating as well.

Other than that, I'm enjoying this season. Those vampire kids are creepy though, those clicking sounds they make...

aku:jiki

It really is amazing that they managed to make the kid worse. Is there a Razzie for casting? Because someone should win two for that shit.

Also, who does hair and makeup? Five Razzies for that person. Eph's toupee, Fet's dyed hair AND beard and young Setrakian's glued-on beard are all absolutely terrible. I'm normally completely oblivious to this sort of stuff so it has to be horrendous work if even I notice it.

nah. zack's becoming an even bigger asshole once he's with the master

Book spoilers:
This. They didn't recast Zach to make him more annoying and therefore soften the blow of what happens to him. They recast him because Zach becomes a blood-addled sociopath by the end of the series. New Zach is perfect, but I can't just tell people why. It's killing me.

inm8num2

Book spoilers:
This. They didn't recast Zach to make him more annoying and therefore soften the blow of what happens to him. They recast him because Zach becomes a blood-addled sociopath by the end of the series. New Zach is perfect, but I can't just tell people why. It's killing me.

I never said new Zach is "softening the blow" - it's the opposite. It's going to elicit a stronger reaction to his capture than simply the nice kid being taken by the bad guy. I wasn't talking about reactions to what happens in season 3 - I was talking about reactions to the end of season 2 for people who don't know what's coming after that..

Book spoilers:
Can you pm me? I don't mind spoilers

SURGEdude

Mixed bag.

I quite liked the episode set in the gas station, the Vampire SWAT team, the Rat Catcher and the Old Bloke. I also liked the structure of the season, strange aside episodes, bottle episodes etc...

On the other hand, the wig, terrible characters, why is the city not freaking out? etc...

Will watch in hopes it reaches the level of promise consistantly it shows in flashes.

I realize this is an old comment but holy shit you nailed it.

The city just being all chill about this insanity alone speaks to the lazy writing. To think the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth made something so poorly paced and bland makes me hope that his involvement is overstated and Chuck Hogan is the actual driving force.

It's watchable, and that's about the best I can say. The definition of a 5/10 show. I wouldn't be so harsh if it wasn't the kind of thing that is totally in my wheelhouse, with some capable people and decent budget behind it.

The new season 2 kid is also somehow worse than season 1.

So much wasted potential. Maybe it gets better, but season two is of to possibly even a worse start.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That vampire leotard in the prologue. My god, it was so bad I seriously sat there for a few seconds trying to think if there was some logical reason for a vamp in the woods to somehow need white skintight clothing.

Then the master or whatever cums on the giant's face and proceeds to roll over and fall asleep/die. Uh, ok. So from what I later gathered, he passed his consciousness onto that body? He saw a big, frail man with gigantism and thought: now this is the body I'd like to move onto. Uh, what?

New Zach's such a brat. Yeah, you go erase the word "infect". That'll show dad! Maybe he'll even forget that word was there and have to abandon is whole medical strategy!

Fet and hacker lady are actively wasting silver bombs in order to clear out vampires from the showers at a local pool, with some silly notion that the place will never again be infested by vamps again. Great use of resources.

Real estate lady takes an insane job offer without even for a second asking what the job is or what the catch is that justifies the salary. Because, uh... the old man is sweet and says vague things about helping NYC with food donations.

raindoc

Then the master or whatever cums on the giant's face and proceeds to roll over and fall asleep/die. Uh, ok. So from what I later gathered, he passed his consciousness onto that body? He saw a big, frail man with gigantism and thought: now this is the body I'd like to move onto. Uh, what?

That's exactly what happened. The show's been pretty straightforward with the fact that the Master is in the consciousness of everyone his strain infected (last episode he choose to give Kelly back her free will.) AND that he's looking for a new body, so there you go. "Mind" transfer.
And the Master (or any other vampire) does not suffer from any illness, as demonstrated by the fact that one drop of white stuff turned a dying Eldritch Palmer into a healthy individual not even in the need of a wheelchair anymore. So when the Master took over Sarduk's body, he didn't turn himself into a vampire suffering from gigantism, but he turned himself into a giant vampire.

Dan

And the Master (or any other vampire) does not suffer from any illness, as demonstrated by the fact that one drop of white stuff turned a dying Eldritch Palmer into a healthy individual not even in the need of a wheelchair anymore. So when the Master took over Sarduk's body, he didn't turn himself into a vampire suffering from gigantism, but he turned himself into a giant vampire.
Eh... he turned himself into a giant, slow, lumbering vampire when he was previously quick and lithe. That's what I'm getting at. None of those qualities seem appealing nor advantageous for a vampire.

They should have had the previous master need to urgently find a new body as well, because it boggles my mind that he would just up and decide to that completely by choice.

raindoc

Eh... he turned himself into a giant, slow, lumbering vampire when he was previously quick and lithe. That's what I'm getting at. None of those qualities seem appealing nor advantageous for a vampire.

holy shit no. go rewatch S1.

JDSN

Banned
At least this season seems better, the old guys are keeping the ship afloat, I love the way he talks, like Christopher Walken. Zack is such a weird joyless character, I love in this shows how they deal with people that arent fit for the situation but that kid is just boring and mean. They are failing hard at showing the decay of the city, all they doing is throwing sirens and some bad CGI smoke.

Dan

holy shit no. go rewatch S1.
Nah. He moves fast during brief action/stealth sequences, but mostly it lumbers around and seems oafish until the script requires momentary 'badassery'. I see no benefit to this vampire to willingly become a giant mass of flesh for no apparent reason. Harder to hide, bigger target, etc.

raindoc

Nah. He moves fast during brief action/stealth sequences, but mostly it lumbers around and seems oafish until the script requires momentary 'badassery'. I see no benefit to this vampire to willingly become a giant mass of flesh for no apparent reason. Harder to hide, bigger target, etc.

ROFL - "he's only fast when he needs to be = he's slow and lumbering". WTF do you expect? Him running circles in his den?
As for why he choose a huge body: if you noticed, humans have killed tons of vampires in hand to hand combat. They do not posses supernatural strenght, so being Ahnold Schwarzendracula helps.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 3 "Fort Defiance"

Gus and Vaun wage an attack on Palmer as Eph struggles to connect with Zack. Councilwoman Justine Faraldo vows to bring her extermination policies to the other boroughs.

Top Bottom