• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The stunning concept art of Dark Souls 3

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You could fill a museum exclusively with Dark Souls 3 concept art.

S8JOyZY.png

iNScYsf.jpeg

vPjr1Io.jpeg

tpFEc4r.png

tiMiKjb.jpeg

xrKXxOB.jpeg

yg1UFrf.jpeg

VpEvj9y.jpeg

wh2Xe3k.jpeg

QezD83V.png

yWhKVef.jpeg

ylvEvLO.jpeg

TacKxp2.jpeg

H8BPczH.jpeg

VMDHocC.jpeg

WSv9hOY.jpeg

xRdUt0M.jpeg

OAcW4Et.jpeg

2UtteB7.jpeg

Source: Dark Souls 3 Design Works.

It's extraordinary how well the concept art translates to the game itself, too.

laynelane

Beautiful artwork and so faithfully brought to life in-game too. I particularly liked the one with Gale and the Painting Woman. It's sad that she waits for her Uncle Gale to return when we know he can't - so the image of them together makes me happy.

GrayChild

Managed to get the actual "Dark Souls 3 Design Works" book recently. There's absolutely not a single other artbook I've seen that can hold a candle to this one. Even the two Elden Ring tomes.

FROMSoftware was really doing some dark magic with DS3 art-wise.

Last edited:
Art style is what separates From Soft titles from others.

I keep repeating hard bosses in their games cause I wanna see next area.

In gameplay I think there are better devs out there.

This was the Bloodborne sequel everybody was asking for but nobody noticed
The concept art for Bloodborne translated much better into that game than the concept art of DS3 translated into this one.

Everything I see with how Dark Souls 3 is presented conceptually, even with audio description, doesn’t match what I saw visually when playing the game. I don’t quite know what went wrong with it’s art direction and what went right with Bloodborne.

And to further add on to this point, I felt that Dark Souls 2 did a hell of a job trying to match every aesthetic and feeling it’s concept art conveyed with each location, much moreso than DS3 ever did.

Even after saying all of this, DS3 is still an incredible game with very bleak themes and style. Strangely enough, artistically, it reminds me of something like Gears of War 1.

Hudo

From really do have some of the best artists in the industry. Best evidence are their games: They are nothing special from a technical point of view. But their visual design is what elevates them into the top tier.

Now make a new King's Field, please.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People can whine about FROM games are not "high tech" enough but these visuals never going get old and they are one of the VERY few devs who bring actual concept art to life.

So true, they are remarkably good at capturing a painterly aesthetic.

The thing about FROM though is that after what 15-16 years iterating on the fundamentals established in Demons' Souls they really have their visual approach nailed down. Everything from the scale of objects within the frame, through their LoD management and how that works to situate the player convincingly within the world, to how they artfully use full screen post-fx to tone map and individualize different areas is close to perfected now.

People might quibble at the granularity of micro-detail and rendering particulars offered by their engine, but the balanced artfulness of their presentation is pretty much unmatched, and that's what makes their games work so well.

I wasn't sure they could bring me back to the series after the shit storm that was Dark Souls 2, but holy hell was I wrong. Dark Souls 3 is damn near a masterpiece in level design and art.

Variahunter

Honestly, back in the PS360 days, From Soft might have been the savior of videogames for me. (this and Ninja Gaiden Black and 2).
The Wii was so disapointing, most games were brown shooters and japanese games had fallen into the abyss, trying to appeal to a western audience. There still were a few outstanding games, but what a letdown, truly the most boring period of gaming for me.

If I hadn't see that video of a random japanese man playing Demon's Souls and using the Storm Ruler in that boss area... I could have overlooked the game.
I then proceeded to import the Asian version of the game, and also bought King's Field IV for PS2 while waiting for Demon's to arrive.
The rest is history.

I'm still thinking From can turn every genre they touch into gold, and even teach a lesson to other developers in that genre.

I'm looking at you, Metroid.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The souls games look incredible, I really dig the art style and general aesthetic and would love to explore them but by fuck am I terrible at them and simply have no desire to git gud, they need an easy mode

Irobot82

The souls games look incredible, I really dig the art style and general aesthetic and would love to explore them but by fuck am I terrible at them and simply have no desire to git gud, they need an easy mode
They wouldn't be souls games if they had an easy mode. I suck at them too, never beat any of them, barely getting by in Elden Ring, but it wouldn't be the same if there was an easy mode. Who was it who said a game made for everyone is a game made for no one.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Underrated IMO. Game is better than DaS and is on par with DeS and Bloodborne.

It was just so refined and some of the story elements in terms of settings, were incredible. Also, the Nameless King is one of the best bosses From have produced.

I really wish they'd make a berserk game
This is the best you can get:

They wouldn't be souls games if they had an easy mode. I suck at them too, never beat any of them, barely getting by in Elden Ring, but it wouldn't be the same if there was an easy mode. Who was it who said a game made for everyone is a game made for no one.
Buy on PC, mod the difficulty.

Švejk

Banned
Thank you fromsoftware

Is what I want on my gravestone
Mine will simply say, YOU DIED
Edit: Beat me to it. Lol

Seriously though... What I would give to watch a tutorial, or time lapse on how they drew these; how they layer, what brushes and techniques. It's pretty phenomenal.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The concept art for Bloodborne translated much better into that game than the concept art of DS3 translated into this one.

Everything I see with how Dark Souls 3 is presented conceptually, even with audio description, doesn’t match what I saw visually when playing the game. I don’t quite know what went wrong with it’s art direction and what went right with Bloodborne.

And to further add on to this point, I felt that Dark Souls 2 did a hell of a job trying to match every aesthetic and feeling it’s concept art conveyed with each location, much moreso than DS3 ever did.

Even after saying all of this, DS3 is still an incredible game with very bleak themes and style. Strangely enough, artistically, it reminds me of something like Gears of War 1.
Nothing went wrong, they are going for slightly different styles thats all, you can still see the Bloodborne influence on Dark Souls 3 combat and Art

DS3 is a gorgeous looking game

Nothing went wrong, they are going for slightly different styles thats all, you can still see the Bloodborne influence on Dark Souls 3 combat and Art

DS3 is a gorgeous looking game
I agree that it looks amazing, it just doesn't look like it's concept art nor does it convey what that concept art is conveying. In comparison Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and DS2 does to the point where two out of three of them are almost 1:1 with their concept art not only in presentation but in feeling.

That's why I wonder where they went wrong with DS3's in-game art direction.

As a post disclaimer, me saying 'where did they go wrong' doesn't mean 'this looks bad'.

SJRB

Gold Member
Buy the Design Works!

All the Fromsoftware artbooks are incredible. The Sekiro [often overlooked] and Bloodborne artworks are amazing, too.

Only flaws are a lot of drawings are on a spread so you miss out on the center of the image, and the items have no descriptions next to them. Especially in the Bloodborne artworks that would elevate the book significantly, considering how much lore is told through item descriptions.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I agree that it looks amazing, it just doesn't look like it's concept art nor does it convey what that concept art is conveying. In comparison Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and DS2 does to the point where two out of three of them are almost 1:1 with their concept art not only in presentation but in feeling.

That's why I wonder where they went wrong with DS3's in-game art direction.

As a post disclaimer, me saying 'where did they go wrong' doesn't mean 'this looks bad'.
OPlHezE.gif

Z78n2Mn.gif

wt1X6WK.gif

I think it's the color grading. There's a general grayness to it that mutes the amazing art that should be on display. Obviously with the bleak nature of the game it makes sense, which is why I understand why they did what they did. It just lacks that pop to it like DS 2 and Elden Ring.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think it's the color grading. There's a general grayness to it that mutes the amazing art that should be on display. Obviously with the bleak nature of the game it makes sense, which is why I understand why they did what they did. It just lacks that pop to it like DS 2 and Elden Ring.
They are going different style, in fact what I like about FROM games is how each game has its own distinct aesthetics.

armoredcore6_FWVTcaEiwr.jpg

Sekiro_30.0.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love Dark Souls III. The OST alone is excellent. Soul of Cinder is still one of my favorite looking boss fights.

I have purchased Dark Souls III five times now over the years. Purchased Japanese PSN and Xbox back when it came out and then proceeded to buy the PC and US PSN version. As well as the Trilogy collection. One thing I’ll always remember is finishing it before it came out due to the region setting on the Xbox.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
ive got to own the Design Works of this. Just an fyi they have the future press bloodborne re-release guide marked down to $35 for preorder on Amazon atm.

Last edited:

nkarafo

This is why i like DS3 more than Bloodborne visually. While the later is better if you only count a few scenes, most of the game has the same "gothic London" look while DS3 has many more areas with completely different visual styles and themes.

Top Bottom