• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The stunning concept art of Dark Souls 3

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
DS3 and Sekiro are the only souls games I haven't played (yes, I will be getting on it, next Return to Lothric).
I will say this as many times as it needs to. Sekiro IS….NOT….SOULS…GAME. Its FROM’s take on action game.

Just like Armored Core, its own game rather than be part of Souls games.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So true, they are remarkably good at capturing a painterly aesthetic.

The thing about FROM though is that after what 15-16 years iterating on the fundamentals established in Demons' Souls they really have their visual approach nailed down. Everything from the scale of objects within the frame, through their LoD management and how that works to situate the player convincingly within the world, to how they artfully use full screen post-fx to tone map and individualize different areas is close to perfected now.

People might quibble at the granularity of micro-detail and rendering particulars offered by their engine, but the balanced artfulness of their presentation is pretty much unmatched, and that's what makes their games work so well.
Yes, a continuous refinement of their fundamentals across the board since DeS. Each iteration is excellent in its own right and stands the test of time, though, which is rare in a medium so technologically obsessed. It's the fundamentals, from art direction to hitboxes, level design, combat mechanics, discovery, level design, lore.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Dark Souls 3 was always my favorite Dark Souls game. I like Elden Ring and Demon's Souls better, Bloodborne is a tie.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Amazon has incredibly fast shipping. Ordered it yesterday and it was on my doorstep moments ago.
IMG-0817.jpg

You could fill a museum exclusively with Dark Souls 3 concept art.
iNScYsf.jpeg

tpFEc4r.png

xrKXxOB.jpeg

TacKxp2.jpeg

H8BPczH.jpeg
These are very nice. It is too bad the game doesn't look half as good and has the worst gameplay design mechanically in the whole series. The input buffer and input queue are terribly implemented as well. It is a shame as it has instances of having the best content in the developer's history.

Top Bottom