• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Id.

Firestorm said:
But you guys are at acceptable levels. I avoid battles when I can! Although I'm LV14 now which I think is actually around what I should be at. It's weird. He's pretty easy if I don't pay attention to the flowers. But as soon as he gets stunned once, it's like he goes into overdrive.
I was level 15 when fighting Gattuso. It helps if you can get him to stun himself with the flower at least once, then quickly go into Over Limit and continue to hit him then use a Base Arte + Arcane Arte combination when you're Over Limit is about to end. It's also very important that you attack him from behind! I've found that to be most useful.

Jirotrom said:
so... whats the point of Grading?

When you start a new game from a completed game file you can spend the accumulated grade on upgrades (and in a few cases, downgrades).

Things like more or less health, TP, EXP. You can retain your titles and (most) items. Save all your world map data and lots of other things.

kiryogi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Oh yea, he does as well. Though... as I recall his are casted only? They shouldn't be THAT hard to interrupt.

What is your group makeup?

I haven't played it on unknown, I just don't see why you wouldn't be able to stop him from doing it.

Judy, Yuri, Estelle and Rita. It's more like he does the healing when he OLs D: I'm on hard to note. But I figure a unknown video would be plenty of interesting footage to observe.

If you're ever so curious yourself:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4415556
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4415653

I thought Sink or maybe Van was bad. This guy takes the cake so far D:

I'd sub Judith for Raven and have him set to cast only spells. Though at that point in the game his selection probably isn't too hot if you're not playing on an enhanced file (still better than dumb AI running in to be slaughtered). He is also a decent healer with Love Arrow once it has had 300 or more uses (fires four arrows at once with no recast).

Also, as a side note, he is really abusable with Dark Chase or whatever the name is (shoots a dark looking arrow that tracks the enemy). It does a decent chunk of damage and... as you use it more you get more and more arrows. So it starts doing a TON of damage and also with the low damage skills you can rack up MASSIVE Fatal Strike chains because the move will continually trigger them off.

Just in general, Archers + Free Run = totally broken. If nothing else, just use him solo. You can keep your distance and heal yourself with virtually no cast time, and you should have little problem wearing him down though it will take a long time. Enemies in Vesperia have way more base health than in Abyss (though you do more damage also).

I've played most of the game on Hard and have had no troubles with any of the bosses or Giant Monsters. Especially now that the three casters have their big spells. All you really have to do is run around with Repede and keep their attention. The spells with shred them though spamming things like Light Spear (haven't gotten the altered version yet, though if it works as I imagine, it would be best to stick with the original move) will also add a TON of damage. This is especially effective considering that many of the good spells draw enemies into a compact area so Repede can hit them all with ease.

I control Repede btw. His speed is unparalleled and he has good moves for hitting and controlling crowds (light spear) and knocking bosses down when neeeded, etc (Forget the name... spiraling torpedo move... also later on ghost wolf to spin them in place).

The most important thing is just to make sure that at any given moment THERE IS ONLY ONE CHARACTER NEAR HIM because his Hi-ougi is DEADLY and has a wide range. The battle can be flying along just fine then BAM everyone is dead. I really wish they would make the bosses in these games harder. It was the same thing with Abyss. They are either laughable easy or they instant kill you with a Hi-ougi. There is no in-between.

The real problem is free run. They need to make some fundamental changes to the battle system so that free run doesn't totally trivialize things. Which they should do, as taking out Free Run would be suicide. Being totally stuck in a line is LAME :p

I also feel obligated to metion how HORRIBLE Estellise's AI is. Just TERRIBLE. Which is a shame considering how useful she is for most of the game (if not all of it). Everyone at full health? Here comes a huge TP sucking healing spell! Set only to cast? No problem! I'll run into melee when people need to be healed! The only damn way she EVER cures status effects is having her set specifically to it as well. Meh. She requires a ton of babysitting in boss fights.

kiryogi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
The most important thing is just to make sure that at any given moment THERE IS ONLY ONE CHARACTER NEAR HIM because his Hi-ougi is DEADLY and has a wide range. The battle can be flying along just fine then BAM everyone is dead. I really wish they would make the bosses in these games harder. It was the same thing with Abyss. They are either laughable easy or they instant kill you with a Hi-ougi. There is no in-between.

Yeah, like i said eearlier, I've been hiougi-ed frequently by the guy. Need to keep my distance and modify the ai. I noticed in the video the guy was constantly tweaking the AI. To note in the video it was Judy, Karole, Repede and Raven. Be nice if I could have absolute with Raven now, but yeah his moveset isn't too hot yet. I know I need to give Repede more love, I was actually swapping out Rita and Estelle for Raven and Repede while I was crawling around the current dungeon.

edit: and actually maybe it's the spellcasters? My Estelle seems to behave pretty well on default and heals when needed. On the other hand, Rita has this habit of going to melee enemies, when she should be helping me out by nuking them.

Aeana

I just want to say that Kaufman is really cool.

Well, that and thanks to Jonnyram's suggestions, I've gotten a bit better at the combat. The
Combo Plus
skill is really helping, too, and I'm getting better at
fatal strikes
now that I've started turning people's abilities off in order to get the meter down faster.

oh my god i just played for 5 1/2 hours.

i now know why most people feel about estelle as they do especially after
the ocean scene

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Christ, this game comes to a screeching halt after beating Barbos, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene.

Why doesn't this game have a "skip cutscene" option? Is it a New Game+ option only? I can't imagine the 15 hour achievement is obtainable with this insufferable amount of needless cutscenes.

Anyway, Yuri's hat is the best thing about the game so far! Hot.

Jonnyram

Why don't you stop playing the game? You haven't said a single positive thing about it in this thread yet (apart from the hat bit). You can beat the game in 7 hours, the cut scenes aren't that bad.

Wizpig

Princess Skittles said:
Christ, this game comes to a screeching halt after beating Barbos, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene.
Can't be worse than Eternal Sonata.
And i know it isn't.

Jonnyram

I just beat one of the gigants in 28 seconds after trying out burst artes for the first time :lol
10000 exp in 28 seconds! This might be the ticket for level 200!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jonnyram said:
Why don't you stop playing the game? You haven't said a single positive thing about it in this thread yet (apart from the hat bit). You can beat the game in 7 hours, the cut scenes aren't that bad.
Sorry, the game has some issues, it's very far from perfect and does a LOT to further perpetuate the sterotype that Japanese developers aren't moving forward in their genres. It's still my favorite action RPG series and I only have few issues when I'm actually exploring and battling, but even still this one just deserves some criticism coming off of the Destiny remake.

So I guess around here unless the creator insults a message board, we can't be critical of a game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Wizpig said:
Can't be worse than Eternal Sonata.
And i know it isn't.
Eternal Sonata is a shorter game and its cutscenes at least flow with the game properly (not step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene skit step cutscene skit skit). Plus, you can skip them, that alone gives the advantage to Eternal Sonata.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, perhaps I've missed something simple, but I'm stuck in Heliord with the quest to "seduce the guards". Yeah, seems like a side quest or something, but I can't continue to Torim as Yuri insists on exploring this area some more. There isn't a damn thing left in Heliord. How on earth do you actually proceed?! I hate when the game comes up with some sort of idea and then gives you absolutely no clue how to proceed with it (forcing you to run around and press A on everything).

They presented it as if the idea was something they would carry out right then and there (I chose to have Karol distract the guards), but then you're just back to wandering around. I can leave Heliord, but not on the side of the city necessary to proceed onward.

So, what exactly are you supposed to do and what did I miss?

Eternal Sonata is a shorter game and its cutscenes at least flow with the game properly (not step step cutscene, step step cutscene, step step cutscene skit step cutscene skit skit). Plus, you can skip them, that alone gives the advantage to Eternal Sonata.
I haven't played ES, but from what I can tell using videos, the presentation is much better than Vesperia. The cutscene presentation in Vesperia is quite lousy. They literally upgraded nothing from the last generation games. Lots of quick, disjointed animations mixed with text boxes. It's very dated in that regard. ES appears to present full on cutscenes with solid animation. Vesperia is an improvement over stuff like Symphonia, but it's not different from Abyss. It's one of the most disappointing aspects of the game, I think.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
dark10x said:
I hate when the game comes up with some sort of idea and then gives you absolutely no clue how to proceed with it (forcing you to run around and press A on everything).
Indeed. It's a bad design, get used to it in this game (there's another one right after this).

Talk to the shop keeper.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Case said:
argh, still got to wait 6 more fucking days to the 360 price drop :/
Most places will refund the difference on an item that drops its price within their return period (Target's is 90 days, by the way). You could just get one now and grab the $50 refund next week (save your receipt!).

JaMarco

Princess Skittles said:
Most places will refund the difference on an item that drops its price within their return period (Target's is 90 days, by the way). You could just get one now and grab the $50 refund next week (save your receipt!).
really? I didnt know that
problem is I literally dont have the extra 50$ to spend right now

dark10x said:
OK, perhaps I've missed something simple, but I'm stuck in Heliord with the quest to "seduce the guards". Yeah, seems like a side quest or something, but I can't continue to Torim as Yuri insists on exploring this area some more. There isn't a damn thing left in Heliord. How on earth do you actually proceed?! I hate when the game comes up with some sort of idea and then gives you absolutely no clue how to proceed with it (forcing you to run around and press A on everything).

They presented it as if the idea was something they would carry out right then and there (I chose to have Karol distract the guards), but then you're just back to wandering around. I can leave Heliord, but not on the side of the city necessary to proceed onward.

I haven't played ES, but from what I can tell using videos, the presentation is much better than Vesperia. The cutscene presentation in Vesperia is quite lousy. They literally upgraded nothing from the last generation games. Lots of quick, disjointed animations mixed with text boxes. It's very dated in that regard. ES appears to present full on cutscenes with solid animation. Vesperia is an improvement over stuff like Symphonia, but it's not different from Abyss. It's one of the most disappointing aspects of the game, I think.

You go back to the Inn/Shop and talk to the store keeper to get what you need.

Tamanon

Banned
dark10x said:

Go to the store in Heliord, and speak to the shopkeeper to make a dress, then talk to the guard again.

elbkhm

kiryogi said:
Stuff about Burst Artes and Fatal Strikes
Awesome, thanks for that. I'm about 40 hours in, and I had no idea how the FS Chains were supposed to work! (I figured you had to chain multiple enemys in a row or something).

Game is awesome, although the difficulty could be a bit better tuned. Normal is too damn easy and Hard is too hard :lol

Jonnyram

0YCLiGJhbC9FCxt1GyxTVkU5L2FjaC8wLzExAAAAAOfn5-74BIk=.jpg

Ooh yeah! Guess what this is. Probably the worst achievement images in the world. Great effort, Tales Studio!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jonnyram said:

Ooh yeah! Guess what this is. Probably the worst achievement images in the world. Great effort, Tales Studio!
They are bad. Which one was that?

Is there anything important in the door to the right of the stairs in the room next to where Yuri gets trapped in the Ghost Ship, more bad design choices basically lock you from going back there even after the rest of the ship has been unlocked with the other party. I figure it's a Gel or a Weapon I can buy in the next town, but I'm still curious.

JSnake

It's an Orange Gel.

Nah just kidding, it's a weapon for Yuri that outclasses anything else you'll get anytime soon.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The game just locked up on me, trying to enter the ship from a beach right after a battle (as the monster were still loading, if that matters), I just saved prior so no losses but just a heads up out there.

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem... but is the A.I. ignoring anyone else's commands?

I am at what I can only guess is the first boss and he's whipping my ass. I'm trying to tell my allies to "Leave it to me" but they keep jumping in to fight and getting killed.

Is the AI broken or am I missing something?

yeb

There's an NPC that mentions a fan club for Flynn called...
the Flynn Defense Force
:lol :lol

So, I accidentally got too close to the wrong city while exploring the ocean, and saved without realizing I couldn't get back out. Lost some progress, but now I'm using this little guide to hopefully avoid missing anything. It seems to be very light on spoilers, at least.

BeeDog

Jonnyram said:

Inevitable port to the PS3 confirmed
not really

My cousin's a sucker for jRPG's, and hopefully he bought this game. I'll hijack his 360 (unless he forces me to play through some hard areas in NG2, I got stuck at that silver fishy boss :lol ).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jonnyram said:
I just beat one of the gigants in 28 seconds after trying out burst artes for the first time :lol
10000 exp in 28 seconds! This might be the ticket for level 200!

How would that be all that helpful? Aren't the Gigant monsters 1 time only?

Tamanon

Banned
Papercuts said:
How would that be all that helpful? Aren't the Gigant monsters 1 time only?

Eh, they pop back up from time to time. Although it takes a loooooong time. It wouldn't help leveling, it seems that the easiest way to hit level 200 is just to beat the game then use the bonus dungeon on New Game +

Darkman M

21 hours in, in the desert have completed all secret missions so far. I see myself putting 100+ hours in my frst play through, im going to explore and take on everything i can in this game!:D

Firestorm

Id. said:
I was level 15 when fighting Gattuso. It helps if you can get him to stun himself with the flower at least once, then quickly go into Over Limit and continue to hit him then use a Base Arte + Arcane Arte combination when you're Over Limit is about to end. It's also very important that you attack him from behind! I've found that to be most useful.
I don't have much trouble beating him. Abusing Free Run to circle-strafe makes the fight manageable. I'm just having trouble doing both the stun thing AND beating him in the same fight.

Also, is there any combination of settings that will make Estelle use First Aid non-stop? Like in Eternia I remember there being a "heal if under 75%" or something which made Meredy basically always heal. I need that on Estelle >.> And I also need to get the Item Thrower skill for Yuri. Finally figured out why I couldn't use items on other characters XD

kiryogi

Banned
Princess Skittles said:

Why doesn't this game have a "skip cutscene" option? Is it a New Game+ option only? I can't imagine the 15 hour achievement is obtainable with this insufferable amount of needless cutscenes.

Anyway, Yuri's hat is the best thing about the game so far! Hot.

Try using X+A. And Destiny R wasn't all that, battle system was, but everything else as Team Destiny usually is doesn't hold much ground against Team Symphonia design decisions. But let's not go into this. Only mentioning because as said, you've really had not much positive to say about Vesperia.

Firestorm

Hey it does go a bit faster. Guess it is easier than smashing A again and again.
In progress news, I DID IT. And for some reason it was really easy this time. Hardly died at all. Sometimes all it takes is a good night's rest I guess :D

kiryogi

Banned
HRrrrrrm something interesting @ playasia showed up. Apparently the US ver works on JP 360s. Just not on Pals? :lol looks like Bamdai is indeed scheming to lock down on the Europeans and make them wait. I'd test it myself, but don't want to open my CE.

Firestorm

kiryogi said:
HRrrrrrm something interesting @ playasia showed up. Apparently the US ver works on JP 360s. Just not on Pals? :lol looks like Bamdai is indeed scheming to lock down on the Europeans and make them wait. I'd test it myself, but don't want to open my CE.
Someone in this topic said it worked on their JP console iirc =P

Top Bottom