• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

xray49er

kiryogi said:
ray: in the artes screen, use LB/RB and switch over to the char you want to be human controlled. Switch their control from Auto to Manual.

And realistically everyone else here, it's more of a 30-40 hour game. 80+ is sidequesting and whatnot.

Thanks enjoying it so far

Retrofluxed

kiryogi said:
Leviathan's Claw members drop them. If you decide to take a detour from Kiev Moc when you have to go there, you can find their HQ and their lackies running around.

Oh shit, I just left
the Guild City (name excapes me ATM)
and the
bridge is gone
. Is there a way to get over there?

Tamanon

Banned
So....the Don....Spoiler occurs maybe 18 hours in?
Hara-kiri? With Yuri as his second, did not see that coming

It's so weird having a protagonist that doesn't really question his place in the world or his actions.

yeb

So, Estelle
goes topless in the ending
? Seriously, I wish people would make some meager attempt to mention where their spoilers are.

Anyway, I've been playing mostly on hard mode so far, currently level 25 and I just gained control of the ship. There have been a few battles that made me drop down to normal, but I've beaten most of the bosses on hard so far. My biggest problem is that I keep going broke from buying recovery items. Hooray for finally getting the Moon Selector though.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So, Team Symphonia sucks.

In order for this series to work on a fully 3D field, they need to get rid of the lines you are stuck on with the targeted enemy. They need to find a way to make what's now "free run" the main movement option, that's what it's going to take for me to play another 3D Tales game. The controls get way too sloppy trying to weave in and out of being surrounded by enemies to effectively facing your target (or the clunky process of switching a target after you weave out of trouble).

Also, the camera doesn't move when giant monsters are in front of you and they don't make them transparent either, I ran into a few spots where I'm blinded and had to free run my way to visibility. The character AI is also blissfully retarded too often, Rita seems to freeze up and completely cease all actions in boss fights, other guys start spells within range of dangerous attacks, etc. and they're no helpful in comboing at all.

But, I do love that they took one of my favorite skill systems from Final Fantasy IX and item/weapon crafting in insanely addictive, those are big, big plusses for me in this edition. The sub-weapons and accessories are an awesome way to customize your character's looks in addition to traditional costumes. Final Strikes and Base Artes are awesome as well, so there is some positive stuff I'm getting out of it, I just think that their insistence of sticking to the control scheme of the 2D games in the 3D ones is killing it.

Also, just a heads up, be on the lookout for team members that have "Minimal Damage" equipped. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Princess Skittles said:

In order for this series to work on a fully 3D field, they need to get rid of the lines you are stuck on with the targeted enemy. They need to find a way to make what's now "free run" the main movement option, that's what it's going to take for me to play another 3D Tales game. The controls get way too sloppy trying to weave in and out of being surrounded by enemies to effectively facing your target (or the clunky process of switching a target after you weave out of trouble).

Also, the camera doesn't move when giant monsters are in front of you and they don't make them transparent either, I ran into a few spots where I'm blinded and had to free run my way to visibility. The character AI is also blissfully retarded too often, Rita seems to freeze up and completely cease all actions in boss fights, other guys start spells within range of dangerous attacks, etc. and they're no helpful in comboing at all.

But, I do love that they took one of my favorite skill systems from Final Fantasy IX and item/weapon crafting in insanely addictive, those are big, big plusses for me in this edition. The sub-weapons and accessories are an awesome way to customize your character's looks in addition to traditional costumes. Final Strikes and Base Artes are awesome as well, so there is some positive stuff I'm getting out of it, I just think that their insistence of sticking to the control scheme of the 2D games in the 3D ones is killing it.

Also, just a heads up, be on the lookout for team members that have "Minimal Damage" equipped. :lol

Targeting issues? Are you on manual or semi-auto? And removing said line would more or less make it Star Ocean. Tales has and always will be based around LINEAR motion battle.

You could actually pay attention to what skills you're learning and unequip them.

JaMarco

kiryogi said:
And removing said line would more or less make it Star Ocean. Tales has and always will be based around LINEAR motion battle.
exactly, the whole point of Tales' battle system is its like a fighting game.

Jonnyram

Spruchy said:
This is not an 80 hour game.......unless you do every sidequest and play it twice.
To get all the achievements, people are talking about 150 hrs. Of course some of this time will be spent away from the machine (such as the 100,000 km achievement lulz).

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
To get all the achievements, people are talking about 150 hrs. Of course some of this time will be spent away from the machine (such as the 100,000 km achievement lulz).

Yeah, I've seen mention that it takes about 12 hours of flying to achieve that rate. Of course, one of the achievements being that you play for 100 hours doesn't help that either.

Jonnyram

kiryogi said:
Yeah, I've seen mention that it takes about 12 hours of flying to achieve that rate. Of course, one of the achievements being that you play for 100 hours doesn't help that either.
I already have both of them -_-; I was actually trying to do the levelling trick, to see whether I had any hope of getting to 200 on my first run. I left it playing for about 2 hours and only gained a couple of levels, so I decided it's just not going to work -- it'll require the 10x exp option from the grade shop at the very least, unless some mystical exp monster appears later in the game. That said, I've heard if you use the 1 damage skill, you get tons of bonus exp? (and if you set it to hard you get 1.5x exp also). Guess I'll try a couple of things before I give up totally, but I figure 10x exp will probably mean 1/10 of the playtime, right?

Should be done with the gigants soon too. Just two to go, and I've fought a bunch of them twice to get the items too.
Fenrir
in
the crystal cave in the north
drops an item that you need at least two of in synthing. You might be able to get one in a chest, I guess, but I was impatient and just fought it twice. Also, hunting those Superstars is proving tricky. I'm not sure how to shift between day and night later in the game.

Tamanon

Banned
I wish I could figure out how to shift back to night in
the desert dungeon
I need more Frost Stones for synths, especially to make the sword with 2 of the Arte modifying skills for Yuri. I've got the Flamberge, but need the ice version.

Jonnyram

Tamanon said:
I wish I could figure out how to shift back to night in
the desert dungeon
I need more Frost Stones for synths, especially to make the sword with 2 of the Arte modifying skills for Yuri. I've got the Flamberge, but need the ice version.
That'll happen later in the game a few times, but that's not the only source of them anyway :)

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram: Ok! 6 of those doesn't work! Or at least not on hard... D: I'm gonna try souryurengadan now or something. This battle is absolutely silly. I'm sitting here with everyone on guard while I waste limit bottles trying to
guard break
the guy!

Tamanon

Banned
kiryogi said:
Jonnyram: Ok! 6 of those doesn't work! Or at least not on hard... D: I'm gonna try souryurengadan now or something. This battle is absolutely silly. I'm sitting here with everyone on guard while I waste limit bottles trying to
guard break
the guy!

I haven't gotten there myself, but the official guide says that you do Secret Mission 17 by
Using Raven's Rain arte

Himuro: Vorpal Sword, has Dispersion, Great Deluge and Life UP.

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:
I haven't gotten there myself, but the official guide says that you do Secret Mission 17 by
Using Raven's Rain arte

Himuro: Vorpal Sword, has Dispersion, Great Deluge and Life UP.

See, that's what you do WHEN
you guard break him. Here's the hard part. GUARDING BREAKING HIM
I also made the lawl mistake once of having a skill change on Raven :/

2DMention

Banned
I'm having a hard time beating a certain boss about 4 hours in. It's the next boss after you
go to the ruins

Any idea what lvl you're supposed to be? I'm lvl 15 right, and everybody gets wiped in no time flat.

Tamanon

Banned
Himuro said:
DQ8.

I just *got* Flameberge. It has the ability "chain". wtf is that? I don't understand the description.

Chain is one of the ones that modify your artes. Talk to one of the guys in town and he explains, but basically it changes your artes, in Yuri's case, Chain changes your Azure Edge to a more powerful version and your Burst arte to a really cool fire-based one. If you use the upgraded one 100 times, you learn it as a regular arte. Same TP cost, but more damage and it looks cooler:p

Tamanon

Banned
Himuro said:
I still have trouble even activating burst artes. Fatal Strikes are easy to activate, but I don't know how to activate burst artes at all. I switched the button configuration so attack is A, artes is B.

It's actually easier than Fatal strikes. You have to do one of your arcane artes while you're in overlimit, then you just hold down the artes button in the middle of it. It'll automatically transition afterwards.

Id.

Is the
Little Mad Scientist
achievement glitched? I've met the requirements several times already but nothing has unlocked!

Tamanon

Banned
Himuro said:
What is a Mystic Arte?

Look at your arte list, they have a different icon, generally the first ones you get are Azure Wolf Strike or Crushing Eagle. They're actually really good for combos, because you can do your slashes -----> Base arte ------> Arcane Arte.

Ooops, they're called Arcane Artes, sorry for the confusion!

Id: Not glitched for me, got that achievement earlier on.

Id.

I guess I'll just have to keep on synthesizing items until it unlocks. Argh!

Kadey: Check the monster book. All specs are recorded there.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Okay. I'm using magic lens, but after doing so, aren't the specs supposed to show up in the records or something? It's not working for me.

kiryogi

Banned
Secret mission 17 complete! YES. :D Onward ho Brave Vesperia!

WickedLaharl: by annoying you mean being so selfless? If that's the case. never. :p She's practically Collet 2 as someone keeps insisting, but I find her a lot more tolerable. Her curiosity is really cute and she's not dumb as a brick like Collet.

JSnake

kiryogi said:
The Aer going crazy?
You're right by me, that's basically halfway.

Holy shit, really?! Only half-way? Christ. Wanna help me out on this stupid puzzle? I'm too tired and it's too late for me to really think on it.

JSnake

Case said:
Estelle is nowhere near as horrible as collete IMO. I actually like Estelle so far (im not to far in tho)

Estelle's so cute at the beginning but then she becomes less naive and the cuteness fades. :(

Princess Skittles said:

wrong.jpg

Princess Skittles said:
In order for this series to work on a fully 3D field, they need to get rid of the lines you are stuck on with the targeted enemy. They need to find a way to make what's now "free run" the main movement option, that's what it's going to take for me to play another 3D Tales game.

Tell me how they could do this without destroying the battle system The battle system relies on you being on a 2D plane when you fight.

Princess Skittles said:
The controls get way too sloppy trying to weave in and out of being surrounded by enemies to effectively facing your target (or the clunky process of switching a target after you weave out of trouble).

Use Semi-Auto if you can't handle it. Otherwise let the people who don't suck at the game play.

Princess Skittles said:
Also, the camera doesn't move when giant monsters are in front of you and they don't make them transparent either, I ran into a few spots where I'm blinded and had to free run my way to visibility.

Camera problems seem pretty rare to me, what a surprise, being ganged up up means you have to run.

Plus, if it's just one enemy lock onto that one, and attack it, even if you can't see yourself if you're facing it you'll attack.

Princess Skittles said:
The character AI is also blissfully retarded too often, Rita seems to freeze up and completely cease all actions in boss fights, other guys start spells within range of dangerous attacks, etc. and they're no helpful in comboing at all.

Set up tactics correctly.

kiryogi said:
WickedLaharl: by annoying you mean being so selfless? If that's the case. never. :p She's practically Collet 2 as someone keeps insisting, but I find her a lot more tolerable. Her curiosity is really cute and she's not dumb as a brick like Collet.

oh god that sucks.

i guess i've got another question. how spoilerific are the secret achievements? i wanna look at a list but will pass on doing so if they spoil anything important.

JSnake said:
Estelle's so cute at the beginning but then she becomes less naive and the cuteness fades. :(

yes!! i can't wait until her naivety ends.

kiryogi

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
oh god that sucks.

i guess i've got another question. how spoilerific are the secret achievements? i wanna look at a list but will pass on doing so if they spoil anything important.

They're all during boss battles so. That'd spoil a lot.

JSnake: More like Yuri/Judy counter whatever silliness Estelle is. But yes, Rita is made of win. They all are. Oh and what puzzle?
The moons?
And well maybe a little more than half actually. You'll get the achievement for 2/3rd's soon. I'm almost there...

Tamanon

Banned
Yuri is seriously a weird RPG main character. He seems to have no real goal, no desire except to just keep moving and doing stuff. Never questions himself, never questions others, supreme confidence. It's odd.

And watch out, you actually might be saddened when you see why Estelle loses some of her naivete:p

JaMarco

Tamanon said:
And watch out, you actually might be saddened when you see why Estelle loses some of her naivete:p
what, does she get raped or something? D:
PataHikari said:
Use Semi-Auto if you can't handle it. Otherwise let the people who don't suck at the game play.
exactly

Firestorm

WickedLaharl said:
oh god that sucks.

Do what I do. Every time you get to a boss, just go to gamefaqs and ctrl+f "secret mission #" on the cheats/codes section. I'd love it if someone who's finished the game would just put them here with spoiler tags on the boss names though :)

I couldn't play yesterday but gonna go back to the game now =)

Princess Skittles said:

Turn Dynamic Camera off in settings. Change the strategy of your party members under Strategy. Turn off spells you don't want to be used under Artes. As for the linear battle system thing, I agree with kiryogi.

Jonnyram

Id. said:
Is the
Little Mad Scientist
achievement glitched? I've met the requirements several times already but nothing has unlocked!
It's glitched. If you do more than 1 at the same time, it doesn't unlock.

kiryogi: how did you do it in the end? I guess the 6x thing doesn't work for hard?

kiryogi

Banned
Firestorm said:
Do what I do. Every time you get to a boss, just go to gamefaqs and ctrl+f "secret mission #" on the cheats/codes section. I'd love it if someone who's finished the game would just put them here with spoiler tags on the boss names though :)

I was typing it up, then I realized some folks here might be sensitive to gameplay spoilers too so I stopped...

Case: Really want to know? :D

Jonnyram: 12. Double the 爆砕陣 XD But like I said, I did fail once with the skill change deal. I unequipped Raven but forgot to take the skill off D: :cries: And it took a few 時雨 before it actually triggered. I was going wtf when he still had the barrier on D: I'm fighting the Gigant there now.

LordK

Himuro said:
Finally understand Burst Artes. Holy shit, I've been PRESSING B and not HOLDING B the whole time. No wonder.

This combat system is so damn deep. 40 hours in and I'm still trying to figure out its nuances.

Isn't it A and not B? I was having trouble doing it with Yuri. So you
overlimit, then do an arte with A... now, do you just keep A held once you initiate the first one? Or do you let go of A, then press A down again and hold?

Tamanon

Banned
copybeaver said:
Isn't it A and not B? I was having trouble doing it with Yuri. So you
overlimit, then do an arte with A... now, do you just keep A held once you initiate the first one? Or do you let go of A, then press A down again and hold?

He reversed the buttons to make it like the PS2 Tales games. You do the arte, and then in the midst of the arte going off you press and hold whichever button is for artes:p.

Jonnyram

Tamanon said:
He reversed the buttons to make it like the PS2 Tales games. You do the arte, and then in the midst of the arte going off you press and hold whichever button is for artes:p.
Weird, it's actually the opposite in the Japanese version, so if you fire off artes with your A button, you use the B button to trigger burst arte.

Top Bottom