• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is what I think: Tales of Vesperia kicks all their asses. Not only is it polished, it's just so much more...fun!
I've got a while to go, but at this point, Vesperia feels like a retread to me. A great Tales game, yes, but it feels like I've done it all before (not necessarily bad). I think Mass Effect was the best of the games you listed with Lost Odyssey coming in just above that. Blue Dragon is one I didn't much care for, however.

Vesperia is more polished, I suppose, but its presentation is much less ambitious. The cutscenes in those other games are much better directed and actually animate well, for instance.

Still, I really do like the game, I'm just disappointed that so much of it is stuck in the past. I expected presentation at least on par with Eternal Sonata, but this isn't even close (though I've heard ES has a lame story, it at least presented smoothly directed scenes).

Sagitario

kiryogi said:
I'm guessing you've unlocked them right?

Burst Arte - During overlimit, do an Arcane arte and hold down the Arte button, if there's any OL gauge left, you'll do a burst arte.

Fatal strike - These can be executed once you've drained the ppropriate fatal strike gauge. You can see these gauges as 3 colored arrows when you target an enemy with RB.To drain them, use attacks that correspond with the direction. Check out Arte descriptions to know what each one does. There will be a little colored arrow next to it's name. A good example for getting a feel for it is to spam Azure Edge over and over. First off, Azure Edge will deal green -> FS damage. So by doing this in repetition, you'll eventually drain the green -> gauge. Once you have, you can trigger the FS glyph be doing an arte that corresponds with that direction. Now with good timing, hit RT and you'll execute a fatal strike.

Advanced notes: Artes aren't the only thing that drain FS gauge, normal attacks do as well! Say you attack by holding forward for all 3 hits, that'll deal green -> FS gauge damage. While if you did low attacks, that'll deal V red FS gauge damage. And finally, any type of up/launching attack will deal blue ^ FS gauge damage. But the thing to remember is, you can only trigger the FS glyph with an arte.

Expert notes: On top of triggering fatal strikes, another big key is executing fatal strike chains. And how do you do this? When you trigger a FS glyph, don't trigger the FS, instead keep retriggering it with the same arte or an arte that corresponds with the glyph that was triggered. This will raise your FS chains, and thus also raise your grade. See how long you can keep this up before triggering the FS and finishing off the enemy.

I don't have the game yet, but thanks for the excellent explanation... :D
This will come in handy...
BTW... Burst Arte = Mystic Arte/Hi-ougis?

Does somebody know if any site is still carrying the CE [and ships outside of USA]?

Paznos

So far I'm about 19 hours in and I'm finding Abyss's story to be more enjoyable than Vesperia's Hopefully that will change though.

Tamanon

Banned
Later on in the game.

Actually since you have the airship...
Northwest continent, there's a little town with a spa

LordK

Himuro said:

If you go around to the back of the inn in Mantaic. There's this little boy dressed up as a cow. If you talk to him, he calls Rita Flatty McChesterton.
Though, a certain event has to happen before you can trigger this particular event.

Himuro said:
Spa? Where is this in ToV?

I don't have the game booted up right now, but it's around those strips of islands that have valleys. So there are long thin strips of land with mountains on the side. It's buried in some trees somewhere in those islands. Also, the unique portion about these is that it's REALLY foggy there. I hope that helps.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
diztrukted said:
ToV is now selling for 149 on amazon

Holy christ on a biscuit, I thought you were joking! All those third party sellers are charging at least 139 for the limited edition.

I hope the game gets shipped to me alright tommorow. =/

Seriously, how many copies of the LE did they print? Less than a thousand or something?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Himuro said:
I'm around 46 hours into the game, just got the airship.

Once you get the airship the game really opens up. I got waiter costumes for the girls at Dahngrest. You can get Karol and Raven waiter costumes too, which I'm going to do later today. Aside from getting those titles, a good reason for doing the good ol' Tales waitress mini game in ToV is that income. I went into Dahngrest with 50k. When I finished that mini game, I had 100k Gald and I only did 3 people. The characters have varying difficulty as well, so there's different set amounts of money. So far Rita's was the hardest, so during that I got at least 30k Gald, I'm guessing, I don't know. And it took only 10 minutes to do.

I like the waitress costumes in this game for the most part. Rita's main outfit is way better than waitress one so I changed it back. Her waitress outfit is some animu bullcrap with cat ears. I got her a Magatama necklace too. Looks badass. Estelle's main outfit is awful, because she's on some long journey and she's dressed like she's going on to a goddamn dinner with the president of the USA, so her waitress get up is pretty swell. Got her a pair of glasses to go with it. Judy's is pretty cool but I prefer her main costume, but I thought I could use a different change of pace. I wonder what Karol and Raven's costumes look like lol

Anyways, the game opens up. Noderpolica now allows you to enter into various competitions at the coliseum. There's a 30 man competition all the way up to 100 man. I tried out the 30 man, and won with 6 seconds to spare. It is SOOOO FUN. The coliseum is a good way to get some cash too. I got 6000+ Gald and it took just a few minutes. Flip it to easy and you can get yourself some major cash goin' in a few minutes I gather. Coliseum owns. 30 man is the first level and it was friggin hectic. I can't even imagine 100 Man. :eek: I must be really tough.

Right now I'm exploring the world again, town after town. I'm considering going through every dungeon up to this point again so I can get some more crafting materials. Now that I can go anywhere in the game synthesizing is way way way appealing.

Went to some dungeon where I skipped out on a Giganto monster earlier in the game. I kicked its ass. Awesome. Now I have to take out the other Giganto monsters.

So like, 46 hours into the game in less than a week and after today when I hang out with my friends and crap, by the time my session finishes I should be a good 50 hours in. The only game that I have done with in recent times is Suikoden V when me and a friend raced each other the first weekend it came out and both had 55+ hours clocked by the end of the weekend.

I think at this point I can now make a good comparison with Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Mass Effect in terms of quality as they all took me 50-60 hours to complete and I'm in that range right now.

This is what I think: Tales of Vesperia kicks all their asses. Not only is it polished, it's just so much more...fun! I didn't even fully master the battle system until 40 hours in. It is really deep and has a lot of nuances. And I could STILL get better at it at this point. The story sometimes drifts around in typical Tales fashion, but for some reason I don't mind because the cast is so good. Even then, the story has its good moments. When it's good, it's REALLY good. So basically, if you need to get any rpg this gen up until, I don't know, FFXIII? SO4? Get Tales of Vesperia. Then again I haven't played Infinite Undiscovery so who knows. I know this sounds shocking because it's a fucking TALES game of all things, but I am not fucking with you. Honest.

I am about 25 hours in now, just got to that desert town - and I feel the sudden itch to explore (plus I just read up on gigantos monsters and didn't realize I had to talk to some dude to get stuff out of it =[ ) anyhoo... in terms of combat, how much value do you put in those combat enhancing skills, like backstep and improved guard for example? I've been pushing those away in favour of the passive skills (LS bonuses are awesome) but when I started facing eggbears and crap, it really got annoying as hell having to take their 10hit swipes full in the face over and over, figure some more combat nuances might
help in that department... but I am not sure.

Also, on the topic of lethal strikes, I FINALLY understand what the whole... directional red green and blue arrows mean (when you are toggling through monsters you see their lethal strike defense in the form of 3 bars, each arte you use has a corresponding bar - get that bar down and you are open for a LS, each monster has their particular 'weak' bar as well, etc) anyhoo... is it particularly rewarding aiming for Lethal strikes that the monsters ARENT weak against? For example, with birds their weakness is the red bar - but all that gives you is extra materials - for extra exp you have to go after the blue bar (I think) but its hard as hell getting that bar destroyed before killing said monster. The only way I wager you can do that is synthing those really weak weapons, but I am worried that in turn makes the fights last longer and make the whole grinding experience slower, therefore negating any 'bonus' you might have gotten. Long question short - Is it worth it?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
gregor7777 said:
I'm shit at combos. Level 20, most hits is at 20. Seems low. :(
You'll get over 100 very easily with a second player. Otherwise, find a good skill (or spell) from another character and assign it to your right stick, spam that direction when you are in the middle of you combo to have them chain off of it and you do yours again when they're close to done, repeat. Well, that's the theory, at least.

Anyway, I'm at the desert area, I'm warming up to the battle system a little and am getting 2-4 grade on average per battle (very rarely under 2). Fatal Strikes and Burst Artes are the best new addition to this game! Plus all the various stuff you can do for grade other than speed and combos.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
*Sigh* I told myself I wasn't getting this. Just got back from the store with it and 1600 MSFT points, I'm the problem!!!!

eznark said:
so i just went down to the local gamestop figuring I could pick this up. Sold out.

God damn, seriously?
Vesperia's been moving quickly in my area as well.
I don't believe Bandai Namco shipped much product beyond preorder allocations to GameStop/EB locations.

Id.

2DMention said:
Finally beat the boss of Secret Mission #3. What a bitch he was took a ton of hits. Helps to kill his croonies first.
Wait 'till Secret Mission #4 comes around. You'll have fun with that one!

Regarding the Giganto monsters, do you have to immediately go see Lich after killing one? I can't seem to find the King of Adventure wagon you'd normally see back in the area of Halure/Aspio. I ask this because I'm just about to fight the giganto monster in the desert area and want to be sure I don't mess anything up.

Beezy

LiquidMetal14 said:
*Sigh* I told myself I wasn't getting this. Just got back from the store with it and 1600 MSFT points, I'm the problem!!!!
Haha, I did the same thing on Friday. Used the card for Castle Crashers, not sure what to do with the 400 leftover points.

eznark said:
so i just went down to the local gamestop figuring I could pick this up. Sold out.

God damn, seriously?

Game is sold out in a lot of stores. A lot of people are having trouble getting their hands on a copy.

Firestorm

eznark said:

God damn, seriously?
Namco didn't ship much. Mine sold out first day and other than the LE which arrived 2 days late, I don't think there was a shipment since.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Bah, I've been grinding as I await my co-op buddy gets back from work, but there's shit to grind in between mantiec and the collessium town, just a bunch of cactus bugs =/.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, some of these bosses are insane.

~25 hour spoilers(though I'm kinda slow) -
Belius and the events leading up to the fight would have been annoying as hell to play through again if you die. Luckily I didn't, and I ended up doing the secret mission by accident, but it helped anyway. So far I'm only missing secret missions 5 and 6, but I have a save before each one anyway.

Atleast I can start using the boat again. I sailed right to an area with powerful enemies and fared surprisingly well, Fatal Strikes help even the ground a lot.

Firestorm said:
Namco didn't ship much. Mine sold out first day and other than the LE which arrived 2 days late, I don't think there was a shipment since.
I know my Gamestop only got two copies, one of which I had preordered.

2DMention

Banned
I have to admit I think the story of this game drags a bit much. Who really cares about cores and barriers. I'm just waiting for them to
solve this problem and move to something else.

And I was never too interested in political stories in games.

I wish you could control other characters
without a special item.

At least the battles in this game move along fast.

I have to say I'm not completely thrilled with this game so far. The colorful graphics are awesome, and I like the interactions between characters, but I feel like I'm waiting for the story to take some kind of turn, and it just keeps going in the same boring place without a resolution and more political mumbo-jumbo.

Oh well, at least we're finally getting some RPGs on 360.

inner-G

Banned
Snagged a copy from Kmart earlier.

Love it.

I usually hate Tales... games (hate me) but this one is good so far. Good characters, decent story, and the graphics! Between this, Disgaea, and IU tomorrow, good god I'm drowning in HD JRPGs.

What a difference a year makes.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The AI on this game is horrible. It's pretty sad that Dragon Warrior IV, an almost 20 year old NES game had fantastic AI characters that learned as they used spells and attacks yet this game, on an super HD console has characters constantly shooting fire attacks even AFTER they've been Magic Lensed AND seen that fire spells HEAL it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Princess Skittles said:
The AI on this game is horrible. It's pretty sad that Dragon Warrior IV, an almost 20 year old NES game had fantastic AI characters that learned as they used spells and attacks yet this game, on an super HD console has characters constantly shooting fire attacks even AFTER they've been Magic Lensed AND seen that fire spells HEAL it.

They did that shit back in the SNES era too, you gotta turn it off if you don't want them to use it.

Firestorm

Question about the EXP Share skill. Is it any use for players I keep in my party? Want to know if it's worth keeping Yuri on the weapon to learn it or if I should upgrade yet.

Finally got Burste Artes and got to the part where
Estelle is revealed as the princess (no shit guys). Just got out of being interrogated.
So I guess I'm fully ready in the battle system except for overlimits (I assume that counter in the bar means something). Around LV

LiquidMetal14

Ok, just got to Deidon Hold, 2+ hours in. FUN FUN FUN! I love the humor. "Where are my dentures" made me laugh. Also the banter that goes on in the private conversations with Yuri sometimes moving away during the event :lol . So far this has definitely exceeded my expectations. And WORLD MAPS FTW!

Sushen

LiquidMetal14 said:
Ok, just got to Deidon Hold, 2+ hours in. FUN FUN FUN! I love the humor. "Where are my dentures" made me laugh. Also the banter that goes on in the private conversations with Yuri sometimes moving away during the event :lol . So far this has definitely exceeded my expectations. And WORLD MAPS FTW!
I love the cast. Tales games always have perfectly balanced cast where everyone has a reason to be there. This game has everything that I loved about Tales games plus bare minimum loading time and HD graphics! I'm in jRPG heaven.

LiquidMetal14

Sushen said:
I love the cast. Tales games always have perfectly balanced cast where everyone has a reason to be there. This game has everything that I loved about Tales games plus bare minimum loading time and HD graphics! I'm in jRPG heaven.
Oh yea, could've gone into details about that as well. Seamless loads and quick level grinding. I practically had to force myself to stop since I went on a 30 minute stretch after leveling for about 30 minutes prior. It is very good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hmm...Yuri has the skill Strength 3 in the weapon he has now, if I set Strength 1 would that stack on top?

Top Bottom