• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Blackjack

Okay, so, Secret Mission 5.
I know I have to attack its hind legs while it's rearing back, but every time I do that that little blue barrier pops up and the dink dink noise plays as if it was guarding.

Honestly, I'm torn between loving and loathing the secret missions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also it's like playing an anime movie I love the graphics and art style.
See, that's why the weak ass animation during dialog scenes bothers me so much. The visuals are incredible to behold, but they are using the same animation routines that you'd find in any of the older last generation Tales games. I just can't understand why even something like Eternal Sonata handles such things in a superior fashion. The game animates well during battle at least...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jonnyram said:
Just spent a few hours killing those damned superstars for synth items. Got about 10 of each. Hope it's enough!
I got ONE in the desert, I had a feeling it was a rare drop.

Anyway, I'm definitely easing into the game more and more. The AI is probably the worst in the series except for the pre-Eternia games and I think it's the slowest 3D Tales, but the variety of attacks (normal, base, arcane, burst, mystic, fatal) and skills makes the battle system better and better the further you get. The number of cutscenes will always annoy me but the less they keep me away from battling, the less I pay attention to it.

Was LP ever explained? I'm assuming that's what fills your skill meters but I didn't find an answer in-game.

Blackjack

Princess Skittles said:

Anyway, I'm definitely easing into the game more and more. The AI is probably the worst in the series except for the pre-Eternia games and I think it's the slowest 3D Tales, but the variety of attacks (normal, base, arcane, burst, mystic, fatal) and skills makes the battle system better and better the further you get. The number of cutscenes will always annoy me but the less they keep me away from battling, the less I pay attention to it.

Was LP ever explained? I'm assuming that's what fills your skill meters but I didn't find an answer in-game.
Oh, god, for real. I had Nurse for all of three fights before I turned it off and just assigned a shortcut.

See also: Rita. When Spread does maybe 500 total damage, and Fireball does 1100+ each hit, you'd think she'd stop with Spread.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Gah, I missed so many things now that I cant go back to... a lot of side quests in my first free-run with the boat, and apparently I missed
the King of Adventure Lich quest that goes with Gigantos monsters =/

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Blackjack said:
See also: Rita. When Spread does maybe 500 total damage, and Fireball does 1100+ each hit, you'd think she'd stop with Spread.
Oh, I had it worse, Rita used Fireball on the desert boss (can't remember which one) that healed it, she actually SAYS "That's ineffective!" and then proceeds to use Flare to heal it for even MORE. Mind you, this is after using Magic Lens which SHOWS it's strong and weak points. It's embarrassingly bad. The pretentious, smarmy GAF-style response of "Change Tactics" or "Disable Spells" is bullshit and shamefully apologist, so save it.

Blackjack

Princess Skittles said:
Oh, I had it worse, Rita used Fireball on the desert boss (can't remember which one) that healed it, she actually SAYS "That's ineffective!" and then proceeds to use Flare to heal it for even MORE. Mind you, this is after using Magic Lens which SHOWS it's strong and weak points. It's embarrassingly bad. The pretentious, smarmy GAF-style response of "Change Tactics" or "Disable Spells" is bullshit and shamefully apologist, so save it.
I just use and abuse shortcuts. I swear sometimes I'm using the right stick as much as the left, and I'm only on the fifth boss. :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Princess Skittles said:

Geez, dunno why it's that big of a deal - I know this is going to sound pretentious but I am used to doing that sort of thing from previous Tales games, maybe that's why it doesn't bother me so much.

Spruchy

You automatically get the costume from the sneaking past the guards by going back when you can fly and talking to the merchant. However if you want the other girls costumes then yeah get ready to get some mats.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Spruchy said:
You automatically get the costume from the sneaking past the guards by going back when you can fly and talking to the merchant. However if you want the other girls costumes then yeah get ready to get some mats.
Yes, I need to fly NOW. I will keep Karol in that dress for the entire game. :lol

I'm not sure if this game has anything this bad (it wouldn't surprise me) but the PS2 version of Tales of Symphonia had an extra set of costumes over the GameCube version that you can only get ONE per play-through, meaning that you needed to beat the game like seven times if you wanted all the costumes. Well, that's what I heard at least.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Kinitari said:
Geez, dunno why it's that big of a deal - I know this is going to sound pretentious but I am used to doing that sort of thing from previous Tales games, maybe that's why it doesn't bother me so much.

It's my first Tales game and I like disabling the spells, setting up a strategy, changing my formation.

The wolf gave me hell the first 20 or so times and then I really played with the settings and it was like a game of chess, and finally when I did beat him it was not that hard...though very exciting.

Paznos

Jamesfrom818 said:
Is there a way to check how much grade you currently have? Maybe I'm just missing something.
In the main menu in the library(the icons of the books) in the records book you can find out how much grade you currently have.

Jonnyram

Princess Skittles said:
It is a rare drop. I think if you trigger 4 FS chains or something you are guaranteed, but you have to set the damage low to do that, which in turn takes time, so I didn't bother. Racked up a ton of gald in the meantime.

...but then, when I made the synth item I was after, I seem to have unlocked another level of synth items which all require retarded amounts of rare things :/

I just started the dog map too. Oh god, this is not gonna be a quick and painless exercise at all.

Jonnyram

Paznos said:
In the main menu in the library(the icons of the books) in the records book you can find out how much grade you currently have.
I think that just shows the highest you got in a single fight.

suikodan

Bought the game during the weekend and played a bit. It's my first Tales game and I'm liking it so far.

However, all the achievement descriptions are in japanese, which sucks. Anyone has this as well?

Also I plan on playing coop with my gf, is it playable or it'll be more confusing than if I play solo?

Paznos

Jonnyram said:
I think that just shows the highest you got in a single fight.
Oh now that you mention it I think your right, sorry last time I checked it was still kinda early on in the game.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm about 6 hours into the game (just after the ruins after i got Rita). This game has fixed a number of issues that bugged me with the series. I'm really liking the main character and the combat is better than ever. Also, i love the fact that you can learn skills off your weapons.

kiryogi

Banned
Princess Skittles said:

More like that Desert boss constantly changes it weakness.

Jonnyram

Yeah, it's a little unfair to criticise the AI on a boss which varies between Ice and Fire :lol
I think I'm usually the main perpetrator in the "using the wrong element" category.

Edit: you have reminded me how painful the secret mission was for that boss :(

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Yeah, it's a little unfair to criticise the AI on a boss which varies between Ice and Fire :lol
I think I'm usually the main perpetrator in the "using the wrong element" category.

Judy helped me a lot :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
kiryogi said:
More like that Desert boss constantly changes it weakness.
The insect? I think that was the one it happened on, not the jellyfish that changed day and night. Besides, it's not like that can even be used as an excuse since this behavior is pretty standard in the game, the characters know when something works or not (they vocalize it) but don't actually learn from it. "Found your weak spot!" but I think I'll use the opposite spell now.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jonnyram said:
Did something specific actually trigger the orb coming out? I thought magic would do it at first but it didn't seem pretty consistent either way. But yeah, it was pretty hard to hit that thing since you couldn't target it. Still, it was nothing compared to the Secret Mission you had to use Raven on.

Indrew

Neo Member
Princess Skittles said:
Did something specific actually trigger the orb coming out? I thought magic would do it at first but it didn't seem pretty consistent either way. But yeah, it was pretty hard to hit that thing since you couldn't target it. Still, it was nothing compared to the Secret Mission you had to use Raven on.

At low HP (> 10000), the jellyfish basically spammed the orb thing to regain health. Before that point, it seemed pretty random. It would make sense if it changed things up if you were exploting it's weakness, but that didn't seem to be the case.

After he used it for the 6th(or so) time, I finally destroyed it.

Llyranor

Does the frequency at which skits occur slow down as you progress through the game, or does it stay more or less as during the first few hours of the game?

Darkman M

Llyranor said:
Does the frequency at which skits occur slow down as you progress through the game, or does it stay more or less as during the first few hours of the game?

Theres over 500 skits i think.

Tamanon

Banned
There are still plenty of skits throughout. And I think you'll have to play through multiple times to get all the skits, since some are character specific to the events.

Darkman M

Some of the skits actually foreshadow things to come, so it's good to pay attention to them.

Well i just got the airship which is surprising being they let you get it so early in-game, which is a great thing if you ask me. Gonna do a little exploring,side quest and grinding now!:D

andymcc

Banned
about 8 hours into the game... Loving it. Yuri is one of the more likeable JRPG protaganists. Dialogue is fteb humorous and you get a great sense of adventuring. I was originally on the fence with this game, I am really happy I picked it up!!

Firestorm

The skits being voiced add sooo much. The one thing I've always hated is how it's near impossible to see them all on your own :( They're so easily missed. At least in Vesperia they don't pop up right as you're leaving town and then disappear once you exit.

Blackjack

Firestorm said:
The skits being voiced add sooo much. The one thing I've always hated is how it's near impossible to see them all on your own :( They're so easily missed. At least in Vesperia they don't pop up right as you're leaving town and then disappear once you exit.
Yeah. I am so glad they voiced the skits. Not just because of what it adds. I don't have an HD TV, and that text is hard to read. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm about to hit the first port, can't think of the name. My characters are around lvl 23 all around, am I doing alright?

Blackjack

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm about to hit the first port, can't think of the name. My characters are around lvl 23 all around, am I doing alright?
You really are. I was only around level 18-19 and I did a good bit of grinding.

LordK

So I just got the
Heliord costume for Judith. I just got all my people back after Sodia stabbed me.

Am I able to get the one for Estelle right now? Where do I get all the items for it?

Thanks!

LiquidMetal14

Blackjack said:
You really are. I was only around level 18-19 and I did a good bit of grinding.
Great to hear, and I was gonna stop and do a couple more levels. It's so fun and hasn't even felt tedious. The fact that you can see enemies on the map helps. Makes it quicker to grind instead of waiting for a random battle to trigger. And I like the cast overall. Repede (pardon if spelled wrong) is a nice character, even though he really doesn't talk. Also liking some of the playfulness within the cast during the skits.

Blackjack

LiquidMetal14 said:
Great to hear, and I was gonna stop and do a couple more levels. It's so fun and hasn't even felt tedious. The fact that you can see enemies on the map helps. Makes it quicker to grind instead of waiting for a random battle to trigger. And I like the cast overall. Repede (pardon if spelled wrong) is a nice character, even though he really doesn't talk. Also liking some of the playfulness within the cast during the skits.
It's not really a bad idea to make a push to get Estelle to 24 once she hits 23. She'll learn her first multi-target heal then. (Of course, she will proceed to spam it like you wouldn't believe, but you can just shut it off and assign a shortcut for it. :D)

LiquidMetal14

Blackjack said:
It's not really a bad idea to make a push to get Estelle to 24 once she hits 23. She'll learn her first multi-target heal then. (Of course, she will proceed to spam it like you wouldn't believe, but you can just shut it off and assign a shortcut for it. :D)
Ah yes, I have the regular heal assigned right now. Is the lvl 24 info from the guide or it on FAQ's? I still have to physically get to the port so by the time I make it I should hit 24. It's so easy for me to ignore the enemies but when one appears I just can't help myself. All RPG's need on screen enemies, it makes the leveling process much faster. That and the game loads are really fast. Thanks for the help :D

Himuro said:
Am I the only person here who refuses to give other characters' moves to the shortcut because I'm using the right stick for more of Yuri's moves?
I am using all Yuri shortcuts except for Estelles healing spell. I can't chance not having his array of moves when the CPU can control the other AI's for my teammates. BTW did you get yourself hooked up on Live? Hardly see you on.

And why is it that the strategy shortcuts on the d-pad aren't working for me? Unless there's an on-screen or character prompt telling me I want to defend or charge then I have no way of knowing whether it's working or not.

mjc

What's the key to getting higher grades? I just reached the second port town and I think the highest I've gotten outside of a boss battle is 1.80 or something. Does the use of fatal artes help later in the game or something? I'm not spamming a certain move, and I'm making sure to create solid combos so I'm not sure whats going on.

Tamanon

Banned
Himuro said:
Am I the only person here who refuses to give other characters' moves to the shortcut because I'm using the right stick for more of Yuri's moves?

Nope, I've got arcane artes mapped to the right stick, base artes to the artes button.

Top Bottom