• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Zophar

Hey quick question, sorry if this has already been answered.

I'm stuck at the fight with
Alexei
near the end of the game, i'm trapped in the dungeon with no more gels, no more life bottles and not even magic lens. If I jump on XBL and buy one of those level-up packs or item packs, is that gonna affect my achievements? Thanks dudes.

Firestorm

Zophar said:
Hey quick question, sorry if this has already been answered.

I'm stuck at the fight with
Alexei
near the end of the game, i'm trapped in the dungeon with no more gels, no more life bottles and not even magic lens. If I jump on XBL and buy one of those level-up packs or item packs, is that gonna affect my achievements? Thanks dudes.
You can still leave the dungeon afaik. When you get outside, there'll be this small bridge that is from your ship. It'll let you go out. The dungeon's not really that long.

damnit where the hell is that griffin Giganto monster? I have been running around the spa for a long time and nothing shows!! is there somehting I have to d before hand? this is my second playthrough and I have killed 6 of the giganto monsters and and I am doing this for that Karol Title and Costume..

Firestorm

PseudoKirby said:
damnit where the hell is that griffin Giganto monster? I have been running around the spa for a long time and nothing shows!! is there somehting I have to d before hand? this is my second playthrough and I have killed 6 of the giganto monsters and and I am doing this for that Karol Title and Costume..
You're in the plains area to the east of the Spa right? Maybe the weather has to be clear?

probune

eznark said:
Well, far as I can tell I hit a glitch and am done with the game. I have Estelle and Yuri in my party, I slept at the inn, and Natz still says "Belius only receives guests on night of a full moon, yada yada."

Not a chance in hell I am going back 4 hours to my last save file.

This sucks.

Wait, so did you free Mantaic before going back to Nordipolica? I don't know if you can miss doing that since I never tried before, but it might be your problem.

Firestorm said:
You're in the plains area to the east of the Spa right? Maybe the weather has to be clear?
I have been up and down the area over and over again, and I thought someone said west, but now I will stick completely to east

wow, the use of mothers momento in any other battle gives out like 200 HP to every member in the party each time, unlimited uses o_O

also I beat brucis at level 46 awesome (he is 62)

Amir0x

Banned
finally after like 17 hours I was a little surprised by an event in the story... it has been one long march of endless cliches and anime dialoguing, but I didn't expect [Right after Barbos spoilers]:
Yuri to kill Ragou in cold blood. So if this turns out to be another lame 'trick' and he's not dead, I'm so done with this game.

Amir0x said:
finally after like 17 hours I was a little surprised by an event in the story... it has been one long march of endless cliches and anime dialoguing, but I didn't expect [Right after Barbos spoilers]:
Yuri to kill Ragou in cold blood. So if this turns out to be another lame 'trick' and he's not dead, I'm so done with this game.
Let the bloodshed begin!

Darkman M said:
ummm.... alot 74 hours already wtf?:lol

I know! How can you possibly play that long and only be that far. Normally that'd be what, 24 or 25 hours into the game? I dicked around quite a bit and at roughly 35 hours I'm currently
In that Frozen snow area on my way from Nor Harbor.

finally after like 17 hours I was a little surprised by an event in the story... it has been one long march of endless cliches and anime dialoguing, but I didn't expect [Right after Barbos
: Yuri to kill Ragou in cold blood. So if this turns out to be another lame 'trick' and he's not dead, I'm so done with this game.

Yep, they're really dead. I really thought that was pretty shicking how the game has handled Yuri's character so far, he's probably the most pragmatic JRPG protagonist I've ever seen before and the game makes no real attempt to say he's wrong either.

One complaint: I'm pretty far into the game and at this point I... know next to nothing about the background of any of the cast. It's pretty weird too because at this point they're all supposed to be good friends but we know almost nothing about their lives before they met.

Firestorm

Amir0x said:
I was actually waiting for your post after that event. Most of us had the same reaction. You seem to be taking the game quite slowly so I assume you're hitting all the battles or something and like that.

Amir0x

Banned
Firestorm said:
I was actually waiting for your post after that event. Most of us had the same reaction. You seem to be taking the game quite slowly so I assume you're hitting all the battles or something and like that.

How far in the game am I, percentage wise? It seems to be a good turn of events, in terms of his character... now
I just hope the game factors this into Yuri's personality and you start to see him actually become impacted by what he did. That'd impress me a bit.

I am playing slowly because I am trying to switch time between De Blob, Saint's Row 2, Mother 3, Dragon Quest IV and Tales of Vesperia...all with a 50-60 hour work week, volunteering for Obama and weekend funtime :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Amir0x said:
How far in the game am I, percentage wise? It seems to be a good turn of events, in terms of his character... now
I just hope the game factors this into Yuri's personality and you start to see him actually become impacted by what he did. That'd impress me a bit.

I am playing slowly because I am trying to switch time between De Blob, Saint's Row 2, Mother 3, Dragon Quest IV and Tales of Vesperia...all with a 50-60 hour work week, volunteering for Obama and weekend funtime :p

Spend more hours doing that. Play after he wins. :D

Firestorm

Amir0x said:

I meant hours-wise. You're 17 hours in and I found my post about that part and I was 12 hours. I finished at 40 hours. So you're about 30% done. You just finished Part 1. The game is divided into 3 parts with an achievement at the end of each. Part 2 is the longest iirc.

Amir0x

Banned
Relix said:
Spend more hours doing that. Play after he wins. :D

I feel pretty confident he will win Pennsylvania (though not necessarily my district), but hey... it's the state that counts here. :D

Firestorm said:
I meant hours-wise. You're 17 hours in and I found my post about that part and I was 12 hours. I finished at 40 hours. So you're about 30% done. You just finished Part 1. The game is divided into 3 parts with an achievement at the end of each. Part 2 is the longest iirc.

Ah, cool. Yeah I battled a lot... I am very high lvl for this point.

Jonsoncao

Banned
hey guyz

i wonder if giganto monster ever respawns, especially Griffin that giant eagle in some northern island, I need that Griffin claw to do synthesis, thanks

Jonsoncao said:
hey guyz

i wonder if giganto monsters ever respawns, especially Griffin that giant eagle in some northern island, I need that Griffin claw to do synthesis, thanks
yes I have seen them respawn, but it took a good while

Diablos

I'm about 20 hours in. Just beat the
bat boss in the cave before the desert area. Most annoying/frustrating battle so far, but there's nothing wrong with some added challenge.

Anyway, impressions so far:

+ Great battle system. Similar to Abyss, but I like it a lot better, for some reason. Seems more fluid, even though I'm pretty sure Abyss was technically faster. I want to keep playing. It's just fun.

+ Awesome towns and dungeons. The attention to detail and how they're presented/laid out make them really exciting to explore.

+ Characters, for the most part, are pretty decent. Yuri is one of the best leads I've seen in a JRPG in quite some time.

+ OST is good, even if the songs are a bit short.

+ Good pacing. Abyss had terrible pacing, it was back and forth a billion times, and it drove me nuts. The game did not progress that well. Vesperia seems to steer away from those problems, which is a huge plus for me.

+ Story is simple but effective, however;

- Conversations are too lengthy -- some aren't even necessary at all -- but from what I have read, this is to be expected when it comes to Tales games (this is my second). Still, it's a bit unnecessary. They talk so much about the dumbest things that you sometimes forget about the simple aspects of the story. :lol Still, it doesn't seem as dragged out in this regard as Abyss was, since I can tolerate it :p

I'm pretty sure I'm enjoying this better than Infinite Undiscovery, and other than Blue Dragon, this is the best JRPG I've played this gen so far. I'm not done, so my opinion can change obviously, but it's a great game so far!

Diablos said:
- Conversations are too lengthy -- some aren't even necessary at all -- but from what I have read, this is to be expected when it comes to Tales games (this is my second). Still, it's a bit unnecessary. They talk so much about the dumbest things that you sometimes forget about the simple aspects of the story. :lol Still, it doesn't seem as dragged out in this regard as Abyss was, since I can tolerate it :p
I don't mind them talking about random stuff, but I hate the fact that each character feels the need to vocalize exactly why they're staying in the party after every minor event. Gah, so frustrating.

mugwhump

Yay, I've finally mastered Judith, now I can pull of stuff like in the combo videos, I feel so awesome :eek:

And your team's AI may be stupid, but that's made up for by the enemy AI's stupidity. Bosses almost always target the player, and you can just run away forever while your allies wail on them.

PseudoKirby said:
wow, the use of mothers momento in any other battle gives out like 200 HP to every member in the party each time, unlimited uses o_O
wat
really? :eek:
Teknoman said:
Yes. Press the back button on the skills screen to see how they affect your stats. However the strength skills only add X% of your base attack, not X% of base attack+weapon attack. The skills that increase attack/defense when hp/tp are above/below a certain amount give really big increases, too. Hp condition 2 like doubles your physical attack when HP<25% :eek:

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So uhm, how do I complete the dog map quest? I've wiped out all of the red areas, and everywhere I can land that I can tell is blue, the repede bar is at around 80% but it hasn't triggered any scenes.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Xbox back. Nearly 6 hours in. That purple haired dude with a psycho look is for a second time owning my party. Doesn't help that I have to watch a fucking cutscene every time. Smart going Namco.

Caj814

Firestorm said:
Wow. Only ONE fake gald in that entire run I did in the secret dungeon -_-;

Yeah,it's pretty screwed up.I went through it a couple times either getting only 1 or 2 but then I had a run that gave me 10 and I was able to get to enter the boss fight.

Diablos

I need to start getting back into this game. I don't know how much time I'll have, though, since I'm going to be helping out at the nearby Obama office whenever they call.

Firestorm

Beat the Fell Arms boss.
Brave Vesperia is such a bullshit Mystic Arte. Can it kill everybody? Everybody but Rita died. Rita had 1200 HP left and I was able to slowly get everyone back. Thankfully he only used it once. Due to the secret dungeon, I was about LV 73 - 75 so it wasn't TOO hard

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Firestorm said:
Beat the Fell Arms boss.
Brave Vesperia is such a bullshit Mystic Arte. Can it kill everybody? Everybody but Rita died. Rita had 1200 HP left and I was able to slowly get everyone back. Thankfully he only used it once. Due to the secret dungeon, I was about LV72 so it wasn't TOO hard

I fought him at ~120 so that didn't do much at all, but Big Bang still brought everyone to 1 HP.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Woo, played for a solid 20 hours this weekend. Can someone let me know how much I have left to go? I just got the
Cyano Ciel Apatheia from Ioder in Dahngrest. (After Karol did his little speech)

I can feel I'm getting close to the end. Game is awesome.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Ermac said:
Woo, played for a solid 20 hours this weekend. Can someone let me know how much I have left to go? I just got the
Cyano Ciel Apatheia from Ioder in Dahngrest. (After Karol did his little speech)

I can feel I'm getting close to the end. Game is awesome.

You mean
Harry not Ioder, the son of the former Guildmaster
, right?

then it means you just finished the second part, if from now on start to do the side quests, it will cost you more than 50 hours, if not, only 5-10 hrs away from the last scene

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Jonsoncao said:
You mean
Harry not Ioder, the son of the former Guildmaster
, right?

then it means you just finished the second part, if from now on start to do the side quests, it will cost you more than 50 hours, if not, only 5-10 hrs away from the last scene

Whoops.
Right, Harry. Don's grandson.
Thanks!

Caj814 said:
Yeah,it's pretty screwed up.I went through it a couple times either getting only 1 or 2 but then I had a run that gave me 10 and I was able to get to enter the boss fight.
which is why I did a bunch of half runs

just go to the first exit and then come back, saves time
been through to the half point about 5 times now and all the way through once, and I has about 4 pieces I think

Jiggy

After a whole mess of multiple attempted purchases that fell through for differing reasons, my 360's finally on its way. :D (And I already have Vesperia--can't remember if I said that before or not.) It shipped on Saturday but didn't arrive today, so barring mailing disaster or some such I guess I should be joining in the thread within a couple days. Just recently wrapped up yet another Symphonia playthrough in celebration and preparation, too!

Anyway, can anyone give me an estimate on about how many hours it'll take before I start getting costumes in Vesperia? I hear it's not like Symphonia or Abyss where I had to live with any default outfits I hated until like the last five hours, which is already great news.

Firestorm

PseudoKirby said:
which is why I did a bunch of half runs

just go to the first exit and then come back, saves time
been through to the half point about 5 times now and all the way through once, and I has about 4 pieces I think
If you're a high enough level it's better to go through the whole thing. Bosses have a chance of giving it to you and the last half of it is boss fights. I should hopefully have it in two more runs. I'll have to do those anyway to Magic Lens everything.

Jiggy37 said:
After a whole mess of multiple attempted purchases that fell through for differing reasons, my 360's finally on its way. :D (And I already have Vesperia--can't remember if I said that before or not.) It shipped on Saturday but didn't arrive today, so barring mailing disaster or some such I guess I should be joining in the thread within a couple days. Just recently wrapped up yet another Symphonia playthrough in celebration and preparation, too!

Anyway, can anyone give me an estimate on about how many hours it'll take before I start getting costumes in Vesperia? I hear it's not like Symphonia or Abyss where I had to live with any default outfits I hated until like the last five hours, which is already great news.
It still felt fairly late in the game for me, probably the last third before you ended up with more than maybe one per character.

Jiggy

RocketDarkness said:
It still felt fairly late in the game for me, probably the last third before you ended up with more than maybe one per character.
Oh... Well, at least I only need one to fix Estelle and Judith, and even two-thirds through the game to have multiples should be better than like 17/20ths as Symphonia and Abyss went.

Jiggy37 said:
Oh... Well, at least I only need one to fix Estelle and Judith, and even two-thirds through the game to have multiples should be better than like 17/20ths as Symphonia and Abyss went.
Heheh, yeah. Though Rita gets all the best costumes, definitely. Everyone else only gets like one or two other genuinely cool costumes.

Yay, Rita.

Shoogoo

This game looks amazing from what I could read here! How long did it take you to finish it? And anyone got an idea when it will be out in EU (something more accurate than "2009")?

Jiggy37 said:

Hey, you need to pass along your gamer tag. :D And you can start getting costumes around the halfway point, I'd say. As an added bonus, all of the characters have awesome optional costumes. I ended up preferring most of them to their original.

Jiggy37 said:

Judith has probably my favorite optional costume as it fixed the issues I had with her design. :lol

Shouta

So after playing like 12-13 hours. This game's start is ridiculously similar to Abyss and not just because it's the same team. Anyway, the cast is a lot better than Abyss so far. A lot more amusing to watch and silly. Repede is awesome.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
9 hours in.
Judith is awesome
. I am on the Gears tower or something like that, the scenes before that kicked some major ass. I am loving this game :D

Amon37

150 hours in and
just before Zaude
on my second playthrough.

The secret missions are so much easier the second time through.

I'm almost at the dreaded 17 which I didn't get the first time through.

Top Bottom