• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
One hour into the game....

+Nice graphics. I am digging the style and it really looks like true anime.
+Voice acting is not bad.
+Fucking quick loading.
+Batle system is good.
+Yuri is awesome.

-What the holy fuck at the opening. EWWW.
-I still haven't gotten the hang of it but the system seems slower than Symphonia's. Also, free roaming still hasn't clicked on me.
-The Dialogue (read: not the voice acting) is cringe worthy sometimes.
-Music isn't that impressive.
-Cheap, low budget animations.

I will be putting more time into this baby come the weekend :D

mugwhump

Wow god damn I didn't know semi-auto was so much better than manual. It completely fixes the problem of your character going off-axis, and makes jumping/jump cancelling SO much better, wowzahs.

Also, a question about the plot early on that I never understood...
What was it Estelle wanted to warn Flynn about? When I met him Estelle was just like HAY FLYNN WAT'SUP and didn't warn him about squat.

Lastly... does magic attack do ANYTHING for the melee characters?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I don't think I'll ever fish this game. Someone tell me how many hours I have left to go. I just got off the
Ghost Ship

I'm guessing like 40?

Jiggy

Well, I ordered this yesterday, though I still don't have a 360. If I can't find a deal by the time it arrives in my mailbox (seeing as how all the Dell ones in recent weeks have been snapped up before I could get to them D: ) I might just run out and buy a 360 at full retail or--something, I don't know.

Can't wait to join in. :)

Diablos

About 4-5 hours in now, first impressions...

-Battles seem more fluid and... well, fun than my last (and only) Tales experience.
-Voice acting seems improved. Not as annoying, even though it does have its moments like just about any other JRPG voiced for an English audience :D
-Soundtrack is pretty good from what little I've heard (songs are short, but this seems to be common throughout Tales OST's).
-Pacing seems much better than my last experience with Tales, and the locations/dungeons/forests/etc. are pretty cool so far.
-Graphics are absolutely gorgeous (like I even needed to say this).

Keep in mind, Abyss was the only other Tales game I have played, and I did not like it (didn't even bother to finish and sold it off). However, Vesperia is off to a much better start than Abyss was; it's a better game so far.

Jiggy37 said:
Well, I ordered this yesterday, though I still don't have a 360. If I can't find a deal by the time it arrives in my mailbox (seeing as how all the Dell ones in recent weeks have been snapped up before I could get to them D: ) I might just run out and buy a 360 at full retail or--something, I don't know.

Can't wait to join in. :)
Awesome. I look forward to your next dissertation. :D

-I still haven't gotten the hang of it but the system seems slower than Symphonia's. Also, free roaming still hasn't clicked on me.

Just personal opinion, but I disagree with all of your negatives.

I have to listen to the opening song every time I play. It gets me in the mood and is a really good song. Brings me back to when I used to play the Lunar CD opening theme song before playing each time.

Free roaming works but I wish you could surprise enemies with back attacks like you can in Blue Dragon. I know you can stun them with the ring but..

Dialog is awesome actually except for the "woof" of Repede.

Music is pretty good.

Animations aren't good enough or bad enough to pull me out of the game. With a game this fast in combat, I don't want to have to wait for complex animations or have the jerkiness of cutting off smooth animations. I don't want to add to loading times, especially during battles, with said animations either. I think it is all a nice balance.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Relix said:
One hour into the game....

+Nice graphics. I am digging the style and it really looks like true anime.
+Voice acting is not bad.
+Fucking quick loading.
+Batle system is good.
+Yuri is awesome.

I will be putting more time into this baby come the weekend :D

LOL the opening is the best in any game ever.

I wish you could watch all the anime clips together though

Relix said:

arey ou sure your in manual and not semi-auto?

also, can anyone tell me why I have
Flynns commandant sword?
o_O

cant use it or anything

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
4 hours into the game (or around 3, can't remember).

Got to the first ruins.

=Opening still is not my cup of tea. Just didn't like the music at all.
+Free roaming clicked on me! I also have it on Semi Auto, I have heard it works better than Manual. What's the consensus?
+Dialogue getting better
+Voice acting is good.
+Yuri is awesome :lol
+Glad to see common Tales staples like cooking are here.
+Skirts are better than previous entries in the series and give great character insight.
+Faster paced than previous Tales games.
+Best battle engine in the series.

Avatar1, what I meant with "cheap animations" was the ones used in cutscenes. Lost Odyssey spoiled me with quite fluid character movements, but I came in Vesperia expecting it. It's sad that Symphonia 2 has full blown motion capture animations though, Vesperia would have benefited from that so much.

Kick ass game, loving every second of it. Tales of is my favorite RPG series =)

EDIT: Also, this game seems to have a ridiculous amount of AA

Relix said:
4 hours into the game (or around 3, can't remember).

Got to the first ruins.

=Opening still is not my cup of tea. Just didn't like the music at all.
+Free roaming clicked on me! I also have it on Semi Auto, I have heard it works better than Manual. What's the consensus?
+Dialogue getting better
+Voice acting is good.
+Yuri is awesome :lol
+Glad to see common Tales staples like cooking are here.
+Skirts are better than previous entries in the series and give great character insight.
+Faster paced than previous Tales games.
+Best battle engine in the series.

Avatar1, what I meant with "cheap animations" was the ones used in cutscenes. Lost Odyssey spoiled me with quite fluid character movements, but I came in Vesperia expecting it. It's sad that Symphonia 2 has full blown motion capture animations though, Vesperia would have benefited from that so much.

Kick ass game, loving every second of it. Tales of is my favorite RPG series =)

EDIT: Also, this game seems to have a ridiculous amount of AA

as I was saying, the fighting feels slow because you have it on semi auto, try manual (open up the menu while fighting and press start)
manual is full control, compared to semi auto which is just like giving commands and having the character do them

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does HP healed transfer with each new game? I'm trying to get the 20 million heal points title(or something like that) for Estelle but on my 10x Exp file never use her, so I don't know if it's hopeless or if I might be close to the mark.

I got the scene with the doctor and everyone in the town walking up to Estelle, but the last part has another scene that will trigger when I get near the inn apparently. I'm also guessing spamming heal magic on fully filled characters isn't going to do anything.

mugwhump

Free roaming works but I wish you could surprise enemies with back attacks like you can in Blue Dragon. I know you can stun them with the ring but..
Repede has a skill that lets you do this, sometimes it recovers all your TP if you get them from behind.
PseudoKirby said:
as I was saying, the fighting feels slow because you have it on semi auto, try manual (open up the menu while fighting and press start)
manual is full control, compared to semi auto which is just like giving commands and having the character do them
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I thought this too at first, but semi-auto is actually much, much better. If you use manual, your character will keep going off axis and using artes while facing away from teh enemies, stopping your cawmboes. Semi-auto also stops you from accidentally jumping and makes jump cancellan with Judith way easier.

It can be annoying how semi-auto makes you run up to your enemies when you're out of range, but this can also sometimes keep your cawmbas going when you would've been out of range before.

The really good players actually do use semi-auto instead of manual.

Relix said:
So...
Semi Auto or Manual?!?
Melee: Semi-Auto.
Mage: Manual.

Edit: When I'm bored and at the apartment where Vesperia is, I've been randomly leveling up spells. Splash and Champaigne at 1000 casts are absurd. Now I'm debating whether I want to try getting
Meteor Storm or Negative Gate
up first.

Amir0x

Banned
this game puts me to sleep, but i am pretty early on having just left the castle and its short sewer.

but I guess -1 for lame generic castle jail breakout followed by lame uninspired sewer rat battles, married to lame generic naive know-nothing noble tagging along to the rogue rebel (at least the game ACKNOWLEDGES this stereotype), but hey...

...I'm sure the game gets better. Oh nevermind, here we go with the nobles-spitting-on-the-lower-class side of Tales. At least its not racism! I shouldn't expect racism later on, right?

clashfan

I'm at the end I think.
I'm in the Ancient Tower of Tarqaron and there is all these lifts that keep saying "Locked". How do I unlock them. Are they important?
Very enjoyable game.

clashfan said:
I'm at the end I think.
I'm in the Ancient Tower of Tarqaron and there is all these lifts that keep saying "Locked". How do I unlock them. Are they important?
Very enjoyable game.
The left lift is unlocked from the very top, and once you get there, you can actually go all the way back down along an alternate path to unlock the right lift at the very bottom.

clashfan

RocketDarkness said:
The left lift is unlocked from the very top, and once you get there, you can actually go all the way back down along an alternate path to unlock the right lift at the very bottom.

Thanks. I'm at level
. Do you think I can finish the game at that level or should I grind more?

yeb

Papercuts said:
Does HP healed transfer with each new game? I'm trying to get the 20 million heal points title(or something like that) for Estelle but on my 10x Exp file never use her, so I don't know if it's hopeless or if I might be close to the mark.

I got the scene with the doctor and everyone in the town walking up to Estelle, but the last part has another scene that will trigger when I get near the inn apparently. I'm also guessing spamming heal magic on fully filled characters isn't going to do anything.
I'm pretty sure heal totals do transfer. I got the title on my first play through, but on my replay I barely healed at all and I was still able to complete all the events for it. I actually had to, because the quest seemed to be interfering with getting the Brionac scene in Aurnion. You should make sure you complete any other quests there so nothing is interfering, although I think the automatic scene is pretty high priority.

Also, I've heard that healing when people already have full HP does indeed work. Try spamming Nightingale with a level 1 Over Limit; it helps if everyone has Taunt, Taunt 2, HP Recover, and Estelle should have Medical Boost and Heal Supply (or is it Cure Supply?). If you're already around 9999 HP for everyone, you should be seeing a total of about 40,000 HP healed per Nightingale.

EDIT: I'd assume it's necessary to have transferred your records in the Grade Shop.

clashfan said:
Thanks. I'm at level
. Do you think I can finish the game at that level or should I grind more?
Um...my friends and I finished it at around that level on Hard mode, but that's also due to the fact that our healer wasn't clinically retarded (AKA AI controlled). If you've collected the Fell Arms, then you'll definitely want more levels, because
Duke's 3rd form is just plain mean.

Ermac

Could someone let me know how many hours I have left to go? I just left the
Ghost Ship

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Amir0x said:
this game puts me to sleep, but i am pretty early on having just left the castle and its short sewer.

but I guess -1 for lame generic castle jail breakout followed by lame uninspired sewer rat battles, married to lame generic naive know-nothing noble tagging along to the rogue rebel (at least the game ACKNOWLEDGES this stereotype), but hey...

...I'm sure the game gets better. Oh nevermind, here we go with the nobles-spitting-on-the-lower-class side of Tales. At least its not racism! I shouldn't expect racism later on, right?
Yeah but the game also has a subtle lesbian so +1

Amir0x said:

Congratulations, you just finished the tutorial area.

Now actually play the game and see the characters.

Amir0x

Banned
i did not know the intro was not playing the game or seeing the characters. That was a huge atrocious waste of time then, thanks for acknowledging the terrible opening PataHikari. Nice to see you and I agree once in a while.

FSLink

Banned
mugwhump said:
I thought this too at first, but semi-auto is actually much, much better. If you use manual, your character will keep going off axis and using artes while facing away from teh enemies, stopping your cawmboes. Semi-auto also stops you from accidentally jumping and makes jump cancellan with Judith way easier.

It can be annoying how semi-auto makes you run up to your enemies when you're out of range, but this can also sometimes keep your cawmbas going when you would've been out of range before.

The really good players actually do use semi-auto instead of manual.
I've always used Manual in Tales games, for using artes while facing the wrong way, once I use Free Run to get where I want to, I push the D-Pad towards the enemy to make sure I hit the enemy. I just always liked not having it automatically run up for me, and I like jumping when pushing up.
I did use Semi-Auto for awhile when I first played Tales, but once I got used to Manual mode, I use that...which is highly irritating when some Tales games make you earn it. -_-

Firestorm

Ermac said:
Could someone let me know how many hours I have left to go? I just left the
Ghost Ship
I was at your part around September 3rd or so. I started the game on August 29th. I finished the game on 20th. You are not very far. That dungeon is on the way to Nordopolica right?

Papercuts

yeb said:
I'm pretty sure heal totals do transfer. I got the title on my first play through, but on my replay I barely healed at all and I was still able to complete all the events for it. I actually had to, because the quest seemed to be interfering with getting the Brionac scene in Aurnion. You should make sure you complete any other quests there so nothing is interfering, although I think the automatic scene is pretty high priority.

Also, I've heard that healing when people already have full HP does indeed work. Try spamming Nightingale with a level 1 Over Limit; it helps if everyone has Taunt, Taunt 2, HP Recover, and Estelle should have Medical Boost and Heal Supply (or is it Cure Supply?). If you're already around 9999 HP for everyone, you should be seeing a total of about 40,000 HP healed per Nightingale.

EDIT: I'd assume it's necessary to have transferred your records in the Grade Shop.

I did Brionac and basically every quest in Aurnion already, so I should be fine there. I'll definitly try the nightingale spam though, thanks. I transferred records too, though I heard that didn't transfer distance traveled so I worried HP healed was the same.

Papercuts

I can't believe I'm resorting to this, but I seriously can't find any spots I've missed on the dog map, so I took a picture of it.

Can anyone who finished it see any area that looks missing? Because I sure can't. :p

Papercuts

I was looking at that area earlier, but it doesn't seem like you can land on it. The field tab doesn't highlight it either, though it highlights Zaude which I don't think is possible to mark.

yeb

Papercuts said:
I can't believe I'm resorting to this, but I seriously can't find any spots I've missed on the dog map, so I took a picture of it.

Can anyone who finished it see any area that looks missing? Because I sure can't. :p
:lol
The whole problem with relying on the map is that the really small areas you missed still look blue because of the glow of their neighbors. It's basically useless once you get close to finishing it.

I actually thought I needed 100% of the map, so I spent way more time on it than I needed to. Just look at the field section of the map and look for anything you could have originally thought was one field, because a lot of larger sections of the map are multiple small fields. Most of the spots I initially missed were on the first continent; check out the various roads around Halure/Aspio, that region's really deceptive.

mugwhump

Amir0x said:
There's no INFERIOR BEEEEEINGS, but there's quite a few ZOMG MYSTERIOUS THINGY X IS MADE OUT OF MYSTERIOUS THINGY Y type plot twists. Like at least five.
By which I mean five mysterious thingies that are all made out of each other.

FSLink said:
I've always used Manual in Tales games, for using artes while facing the wrong way, once I use Free Run to get where I want to, I push the D-Pad towards the enemy to make sure I hit the enemy.
That almost always breaks your combo though...

Papercuts

yeb said:
The whole problem with relying on the map is that the really small areas you missed still look blue because of the glow of their neighbors. It's basically useless once you get close to finishing it.

I actually thought I needed 100% of the map, so I spent way more time on it than I needed to. Just look at the field section of the map and look for anything you could have originally thought was one field, because a lot of larger sections of the map are multiple small fields. Most of the spots I initially missed were on the first continent; check out the various roads around Halure/Aspio, that region's really deceptive.

Thanks, that somehow worked.

It didn't look like I even gained any extra area on the map afterwards but the dog was waiting in Zaphias for me.

Ermac

Firestorm said:
I was at your part around September 3rd or so. I started the game on August 29th. I finished the game on 20th. You are not very far. That dungeon is on the way to Nordopolica right?

Really? I'm only like 20 hours in. I thought this game takes around 60 to beat.

Amir0x

Banned
Just got to that city Aspio or whatever the fuck.

Thoughts:

+ As always, love no random battles. Seeing enemies on fields is so good. Mmm.
+ Battle system is nice and blistering fast, leveling happens often. Good amt of exp per fight.
+ Lots of skill variety
+ For the most part, dialogue is translated well.

-/+ Visuals are smooth as fuck, and the cel-shading on the characters is soo good. But it's all done in a lame less-than-attractive anime style, so that kind of detracts. plus locations range from average to uninspired up until this point. All subject to change as I see more. Neutral.

- Characters are still getting progressively worse. Now we have the overeager child-too-young-for-battle-and-talks-a-big-game-yet-is-scared-at-the-drop-of-a-hat sidekick, and I just had to sit through Estelle's whimpering
I-MUST-HEAL-THIS-TREE
moral crusading bullshit.
- Story is doing nothing for me, but of course I still haven't even found
Flynn
yet. I expect him to be yet another cliche-in-shining-armor, however.

Amir0x said:
Flynn
Flynn Flynn Flynn FUCKING FLYNN FUCK FUCK FLYNN FUCKING FLYNN.

Fuck.

You'll never want to talk to another NPC in Yuri's town ever again, after a certain point.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
I'm a little pissed. About an hour ago, I got all of the (somethings) and now (someone) is now impossible to beat. It's going to be a while before I can beat the game now.

Firestorm

Ermac said:
Really? I'm only like 20 hours in. I thought this game takes around 60 to beat.
People play at different paces. I was done the game in 40. Others in 60. Others took even longer. It all depends on how many battles you do and how many sidequests you do.

Amir0x said:
Just got to that city Aspio or whatever the fuck.

Thoughts:

+ As always, love no random battles. Seeing enemies on fields is so good. Mmm.
+ Battle system is nice and blistering fast, leveling happens often. Good amt of exp per fight.
+ Lots of skill variety
+ For the most part, dialogue is translated well.

-/+ Visuals are smooth as fuck, and the cel-shading on the characters is soo good. But it's all done in a lame less-than-attractive anime style, so that kind of detracts. plus locations range from average to uninspired up until this point. All subject to change as I see more. Neutral.

- Characters are still getting progressively worse. Now we have the overeager child-too-young-for-battle-and-talks-a-big-game-yet-is-scared-at-the-drop-of-a-hat sidekick, and I just had to sit through Estelle's whimpering
I-MUST-HEAL-THIS-TREE
moral crusading bullshit.
Flynn

character development FTW

Top Bottom