• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

MrDenny

Is Namco going to reveal their next RPG at Jump Festa? Maybe Tales of Vesperia will be announced for the PS3, just like Eternal Sonata.

Firestorm

Isn't their next RPG Tales Wii? I'm assuming they'll just show it off some more. Would love an HD Tales announcement though. They need to use the Vesperia engine on something. Would be such a waste if this was only one.

Firestorm said:
Isn't their next RPG Tales Wii? I'm assuming they'll just show it off some more. Would love an HD Tales announcement though. They need to use the Vesperia engine on something. Would be such a waste if this was only one.
GoNin.com said:
Finally, some small news on the next Tales entry on the Wii. Remember, this is going to be a main entry in the Tales series, not a side-story. According to Bandai-Namco, the game will be fully 3d, and it should be closely related to Tales of Vesperia on 360.
Not sure if this means engine-wise or storyline-wise, but either way, it gives me hope that the next Wii Tales game will turn out very good.

duckroll

Go Nintendo should be ignored. Didn't they come up with some bullshit some time ago where they said S-E would issue a press release on FF:CC Wii the next day? Stop quoting that site.

Yazuka

No talks about Europe release date? Or something of the rumored PS3 version?
A shame Namco Bandai didn't make this regionfreefor the 360.

duckroll said:
Go Nintendo should be ignored. Didn't they come up with some bullshit some time ago where they said S-E would issue a press release on FF:CC Wii the next day? Stop quoting that site.
Hm, I'm pretty sure the did issue the press release the next day, with the exact thing they said.

Besides, it appears their source is legit, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: GAF >Internet>GAF

Rpgmonkey

I didn't say it was closely related to Vesperia though...

Just that apparently it has a similar feel/atmosphere as Vesperia, and that it's 3D (well, that's basically my assumption, but that one screenshot we have of it and the impression made me think that).

Rpgmonkey said:
I didn't say it was closely related to Vesperia though...

Just that apparently it has a similar feel/atmosphere as Vesperia, and that it's 3D (well, that's sorta my assumption, but that one screenshot we have of it and the impression made me think that).
Yeah, I got that once I saw your actual post. That it feels like Vesperia is hugely encouraging, though, since Vesperia is amazing.

Zzoram

When you get a negative grade score, do you actually lose some of the grade you've been accumulating? That would suck.

I'm kinda bad at the combat. You can't keep mashing, since you'll just suddenly stop attacking it seems.

JaMarco

duckroll said:
They did issue a statement the next day...

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
When you get a negative grade score, do you actually lose some of the grade you've been accumulating? That would suck.

I'm kinda bad at the combat. You can't keep mashing, since you'll just suddenly stop attacking it seems.
Early in the game you can do three normal hits before using a base arte. Once you get arcane artes, you can do 3 normal hits, a base art, and an arcane arte for a combo. As you gain skills you can start mixing up your combo patterns.

For grade, yes, you do. You can't go below 0 though. And honestly, grade doesn't matter. You'll need to grind it in a cheap way at the end anyway.

God I'm stupid. While grinding grade I forgot to set it to hard so I missed the 1.5x modifier -_-

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
MrDenny said:
Is Namco going to reveal their next RPG at Jump Festa? Maybe Tales of Vesperia will be announced for the PS3, just like Eternal Sonata.

honestly i think a sidegame related to Vesperia would be pretty cool. not like Knights of Ratatosk, but more like Revenant Wings (in terms of story). like, following the characters as they venture across the seas to new lands. maybe on one of the handhelds, developed by Alfa System.

but to answer your question, they're going to reveal Tales of Wii this jump festa. that'll probably be their only announcement. they only make multiple tales announcements at once 1 time a year, and that's their annual summer tales conference.

Jiggy

Zzoram said:
I just bought this game, will play soon. Hope it's good.
Tales of Vesperia is the opposite of good.

It's evil. After I played it, suddenly everything that's not Tales of Vesperia sucked.

Yeah, took me a while to get that too when I played Tales of Symphonia (first Tales for me) thinking it would be like Star Ocean 2. D: You'll get used to it.

RetroMG

My tale of woe and lament, first. I went through the game not worrying about Grade. (This is the first tales game I've played to completion, though I plan to go back and do the others sometime soon. My wife is loving Vesperia.) So now I'm at the end of the game with a woefully small amount of Grade. I read up on the cheap way to grind grade, but sadly, I cannot do it. I sold a weapon for Rita, and I can't re-make it, because
the town that sells the base weapon recently got wiped off the map.

So I'll do it next time around, I guess. Meanwhile, I've got my Blue Dice on, and I'm just going to hope for the best as I go through the final dungeon again. The final boss kicked my butt last night, so I'm going to try again tonight and see if I can't find a good way to beat him down.

Then we plan to start over. My wife REALLY likes this game. (I do, too, but my enthusiasm for it is nothing compared to hers.)

Zzoram

RetroGamer42 said:
My tale of woe and lament, first. I went through the game not worrying about Grade. (This is the first tales game I've played to completion, though I plan to go back and do the others sometime soon. My wife is loving Vesperia.) So now I'm at the end of the game with a woefully small amount of Grade. I read up on the cheap way to grind grade, but sadly, I cannot do it. I sold a weapon for Rita, and I can't re-make it, because

So I'll do it next time around, I guess. Meanwhile, I've got my Blue Dice on, and I'm just going to hope for the best as I go through the final dungeon again. The final boss kicked my butt last night, so I'm going to try again tonight and see if I can't find a good way to beat him down.

Then we plan to start over. My wife REALLY likes this game. (I do, too, but my enthusiasm for it is nothing compared to hers.)

I am wondering if my girlfriend will be interested in this game. Unfortunately, she generally hates games with a lot of talking/text because she likes to be playing. However, maybe she just needs the right art and story to get her to care.

Zzoram

Why is Tales of Vesperia only 1 DVD, and only 5.9GB at that? Does it have no pre-rendered cutscenes? Is it shorter than Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey? At least it seems to have better replayability.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just hit
Yormgen
for the first time. I'm about 15 hours in. I was wondering approximately how many hours left until the end of the game.

RetroMG

Zzoram said:
I am wondering if my girlfriend will be interested in this game. Unfortunately, she generally hates games with a lot of talking/text because she likes to be playing. However, maybe she just needs the right art and story to get her to care.

It's possible. My wife usually watches me play games, so it's not an issue for her, but she does appreciate that the battle system in Vesperia is simplistic enough that she can play well, but it's deep enough for me to enjoy. Except I get all the bosses, and now that we're in the final dungeon, I get all the regular enemies, too.

Also, in terms of size and time, most of the game's cutscenes are real time. (Which is kind of fun if you have silly items or costumes on your characters.) Very few are prerendered/CG/Anime. As for time spent, on our first run we're at something like 40 hours at the end of the game, but we didn't spend much time leveling, and I think we missed almost all of the side quests. We're going to be more careful on our next run through.

Llyranor

Also, remember that the game has local co-op, so you could actually play it together.

Re: 1 DVD. It doesn't fill 3 DVDs full of CG, for one thing. Also (sadly), it doesn't have dual/triple/quadruple audio. English only for North America.

Firestorm

RetroGamer42 said:

I just checked around GameFAQs. Go to Dahngrest and buy the Sash there. Then you can synthesize it to Sash+1 and start farming. Find some music or podcast or something you're in for some tedious hours of farming. Also turn off your TVs sound before you go crazy.

Zzoram said:
Why is Tales of Vesperia only 1 DVD, and only 5.9GB at that? Does it have no pre-rendered cutscenes? Is it shorter than Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey? At least it seems to have better replayability.
There are maybe 2 or 3 pre-rendered cutscenes in 3D and a couple more anime cutscenes. The pre-rendered stuff looks worse than the in-engine stuff to be honest. Almost everything is in-engine.

Your girlfriend probably won't like this game since the only times she'd be playing and not watching as the second player are during battles. Unless you mean playing alone. You could give it a try either way if she likes the art style.

Archie said:
I just hit
Yormgen
for the first time. I'm about 15 hours in. I was wondering approximately how many hours left until the end of the game.
You're going really fast. You're somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way done.

RetroMG

Firestorm said:
I just checked around GameFAQs. Go to Dahngrest and buy the Sash there. Then you can synthesize it to Sash+1 and start farming. Find some music or podcast or something you're in for some tedious hours of farming. Also turn off your TVs sound before you go crazy.

Dahngrest, huh? I'll check it out tonight, thanks.

Also, I totally need to get a second controller so my wife and I can play together.

Zzoram

You know what makes Tales of Vesperia an auto +10 over Blue Dragon? When you walk up to an object that you can search for an item, it shows you "Check (A)". This means I don't have to mash A as I rub against every object in the game.

JaMarco

Zzoram said:
You know what makes Tales of Vesperia an auto +10 over Blue Dragon? When you walk up to an object that you can search for an item, it shows you "Check (A)". This means I don't have to mash A as I rub against every object in the game.
i HATE when rpgs make you do that shit

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
So wait, when do I get the item collector's book? I just got my first party member and got out of the
Castle
You won't get it until you reach the town "Aspio".
After Rita joins your party, go upstairs and check around her room.

aries_71

Anybody knows if this stuff is going to be sold in Europe, or are we going to be punished for some unknown reason? How many times do we have to apologize for having wiped out Troy?

Zzoram

Kestastrophe said:
Is this game clearanced anywhere yet or is it still full price?

It's still full priced in Canada, and seems to be very limited in availability. I don't think they shipped too many of these in English. Most places around here have either 1 copy or none.

RetroMG

Finished the game last night. I liked the ending, but my wife was annoyed. She wanted more of a resolution to things. At the very least she wanted
to see Estelle and Yuri get together.

Thanks to Firestorm, I've got a semi-functional Grade grind going, but it's very slow. We started an EX Game, but I think we're going to start it over again once I get our grade a bit higher.

Firestorm

What ending? :( Seriously. Like no closure.

When grade grinding, remember to set it to Hard Mode for a 1.5x grade bonus. Also remember to equip as many Blue Dice as you have. There are 3 in the game. 1 is missable. I think you can make 2 no matter what. Check GameFAQs. Each blue dice gives you a 1.2x bonus.

My favourite place to farm is the world map version of the Sands of Kogorh. I just get two groups of those bird things.

Kestastrophe said:
Is this game clearanced anywhere yet or is it still full price?
The only time it's been cheap was that Gold Box thing at Amazon.com.

Zzoram

So I missed a skit. It was stupid, I just finished a world map fight, I noticed the skit button flash just as I was talking a step, and then it went away. Why do they have skits you can miss from taking 1 step? Ugh.

Also, what does Semi-Auto do? It seems to be the same as Manual, but without the Grade bonus. In theory, can you beat the game without ever fighting using Auto, if you grind enough?

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
So I missed a skit. It was stupid, I just finished a world map fight, I noticed the skit button flash just as I was talking a step, and then it went away. Why do they have skits you can miss from taking 1 step? Ugh.

Also, what does Semi-Auto do? It seems to be the same as Manual, but without the Grade bonus. In theory, can you beat the game without ever fighting using Auto, if you grind enough?
You'll never get every skit anyway unless you do a new game plus and use your grade to unlock the skit viewer. Just way too many variables involved.

Semi-Auto automatically moves you in position for the next attack when you press the attack button. Manual gives you full control over movement. And yes, you could set it to auto and never really battle =P

Kauza

So I definitely deleted a 20h save on accident. I had installed the game onto the HDD just to try it out, but I have next to no space left, so I deleted it. Well, either it took the save game with it or I just didn't do it right, because the save's gone.

Fan. Tastic.

Zzoram

How much grinding should I be doing? I got to the first town outside the starting one, and my party is around level 11.

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
How much grinding should I be doing? I got to the first town outside the starting one, and my party is around level 11.
None. Except just before the third boss and another boss later on (Secret Mission 12 was it?
the one on top of Mt. Tezma
) That's how much I did and I avoided as many battles as possible.

hyduK

Banned
So finally jumped back into this one...after getting sidetracked by...well WoW mostly (leveled another character for xpac and then spent the time since xpac prepping for arena). Anyway, I seem to have forgotten almost everything that happened up to this point, the synopsis helped quite a bit but I wish it was a bit more in depth.
I'm at the part where I have to make a dress for Judy so she can distract the guard in Heliord
....oh well I'm sure if I play for a bit most of the story will come back to me.

Mr. Hyde

I bought this game yesterday and completely loving it so far. I am about five hours into it. I am heading towards Port Nor.

This is my first console rpg since, I think, Shadow Hearts 2.

Mr. Hyde

Wow! This game went from good to painfully ridiculous. I am fighting Gattuso and he tears my group easily apart. All of us are level 15 and I have been defeated five times so far.

Augh.. I am going to give in and use easy mode to beat him.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am a slow ass player. Like... uber slow :lol . Barely 18 hours in, but anyone knows what song is it in the
battle against Belius? That was awesome
. Story seems to be getting a bit convoluted, but at least it's simple. How much do I have to go? TOS took me like 80 hours I think :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A few hours left of work and I have a nice 2 week Christmas break... hopefully I will get to play through and finish the game over break... but first I gotta finish up Fallout 3. I'm itching to play this one, too.

john tv

Finished it at just over 83 hours. What an awesome game. Abyss had a better story and better music IMO, but I give the nod to just about everything else to Vesperia.

I want more from this team ASAP. :)

So I'm just after the part where
You've saved all 4 elements
How far from the end am I? Also I tried to go do the
Waitress Mini-game but it won't let me do anything in the restaurant, did I miss it? or do I need to do something else to unlock it?

Top Bottom