• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

cress2000

john tv said:
I've been curious to try this but all the different explanations I've read have been inconsistent and none of them are explained well at all. What was your exact setup? I wanna try!

The Strategy setup I'm pretty sure I used:

tovstrategy.jpg

(Can't remember why I forbade Estelle from using items...probably fine to let her)

Artes:
Rita: Turn everything off except Tidal Wave
Estelle: Turn everything off except maybe Nurse or something. Just need heal.
Raven: Turn everything off except green FS artes

Skills:
Rita: Minimum Damage, Light Magic (Disable Heavy Magic!), Stun Magic, Spell End, O.L. Boost, Reducer, OVL Bonus 2, (Disable Taunt and Taunt 2)
Everyone else: Minimum Damage, Taunt, Taunt 2, Item Thrower, Item Pro

Equipment:
Rita: Shizel's Necklace
Estelle and Raven: Risky Rings (I think! If that doesn't work out, use Faerie Rings. But I seem to recall them not actually getting attacked often...)

Basically:

Rita will spam Tidal Wave over and over again (not quite as rapidly as doing it manually, but that's no big deal), and go overlimit whenever the opportunity avails. OVL Bonus 2 should restore her TP often enough that you won't run out of TP healing items.
Estelle will heal when/if necessary
Karol (or well, anyone else) will do nothing except throw orange/pineapple gels
Raven will try to get some green FS chains in too (he might not be terribly useful though)

Then put the game on Hard, and just encounter 3 of those red shelled turtles on the Weccea continent. They have over 80k HP. Just let the game run and come back after several hours, re-equip everyone with all the blue dice/dice you have, and end the battle with fatal strikes.

I can't 100% remember exactly how I used Raven, but it should be something like that. Might even be able to find ways to optimize this better. But getting nearly 4900 grade hands-off in less than 4 hours with it was just fine with me!

john tv

Awesome, thanks. :D I'll try it out sometime soon. I stopped playing after I finished it because grade farming was a pain in the ass, but this could change things. :)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Like 28 hours in. I think I am at the end of the game
Gonna battle Alexei, or maybe finally fight him after 3 warnings :lol
. Before coming here though, I went around the world finding sidequests. There are not many, but I did come into a quite interesting piece of info. If you visit
Phareo's Crest
before the event I mentioned before, it gives you a ton of insight about the world and the Child of the Full Moon and the world of Vesperia. Interesting stuff.

On a sidenote.. am I really at the end of the game :lol This is too short to be a Tales RPG, and seeing as some clocked over 70 hours then I think this goes on =P. Best JRPG on the 360 :D

Firestorm

Relix, what do you think? By the way, if you want to do the secret dungeon,
visit Phaeroh's Crag before fighting Alexei
. Otherwise you won't be able to access it post-game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Firestorm said:
Relix, what do you think? By the way, if you want to do the secret dungeon,
visit Phaeroh's Crag before fighting Alexei
. Otherwise you won't be able to access it post-game.

Well, I find ToV to be one of my favorite RPGs ever, if not my most. You see, I don't really like that much the Final Fantasy games, except X which was rather cool. I played most old school RPGs like Chrono, Secret of Mana, etc and TOS for GameCube and the Tales game for SNES and PSX (I remember some of them were fan-translated though, heh, haven't played the DS ones though). For the 360 I got Lost Odyssey which I found to be one of my favorite RPGs due to the mature story and the characters.

But, Vesperia is just fun. It might not have an oscar-winning story, but it does the job. The characters are probably my favorite out of any RPG and they practically make the game. The battle system (which is why the Tales games are my favorite series of RPG) is fun and complex at the same time. Most of the time the game is fair with you in regards of bosses and save points. (My problem is when you die and have to watch everything all over again). The graphics are just spectacular at 720P and the voice acting is surprisingly good. The OST has been fine so far as well. By the way, who was the reviewer that said this looked like a HD PS2 game? He needs his eyes checked.

All in all, my favorite RPG at the moment. I am over 28 hours in, all characters level 45. I did visit the Crag before fighting
Alexei
, but I didn't know there as a secret dungeon :D Before fighting
Alexei
I beat two Giganto monsters as well, to level up and make me feel better after the one at the Sands of Koghor (sp?) owned me some time ago.

....and that was a long rant =P.

Firestorm

Well, you'd have to visit and do the scene
after rescuing Estelle
. I meant "what do you think" as in "Do you think you're gonna be done?" =p You can't actually skip cutscenes but hold A+X and they will go by much faster.

Diablos said:
I never bothered to do this while I played through my first game, but, how do you change your costumes? I had things like sunglasses and stuff, but could never put them on anybody.

Status screen. Titles/attachments can be changed, certain titles are costumed.

I love this game so much. I finished it with 1000/1000, more than enough grade to buy everything in the shop (even the stuff I don't care about), and 170-ish hours clocked in, and I still kinda want to play it. But the backlog beckons, and now I'm stuck with the inferiorish Eternal Sonata.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Firestorm said:
Well, you'd have to visit and do the scene
after rescuing Estelle
. I meant "what do you think" as in "Do you think you're gonna be done?" =p You can't actually skip cutscenes but hold A+X and they will go by much faster.

Oh lol. I thought you asked for a mini review about the game =P. Weell........ I remember Tales of Symphonia had a similar moment before you visited Tethealla or whatever you spelled the name of the other world, and I thought the game was ending there until I remembered it had two discs and I was in #1. At the end I clocked over 90 hours on that game. So yeah, though the story does seem coming to an end at some points... I am like 90% sure it's about to continue. Why the other 10%? Well.... the game is filled with hours of voice overs... but HOUUUURS and I am seeing a lot of FMV and Anime cut-scenes right now so they must be taking a lot of space on the disc, and since its a single disc game maybe they had to cut back the length to be able to put everything into 1 DVD. It's impressive how much voice work they crammed into one DVD though, and to that you must add all the assets and FMVs. Very impressive.... especially with the cartridge-like loading.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Does the grade stuff transfer to sequential playthroughs? Like if I bought the 10EXP thing, do I have to buy it again for third playthrough?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kadey said:
$%$@%$!$@!!!

BlahBlahBlah.....Tidal WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE! :D :D

Yea it really does suck, I need to play 3 more times to get 1000/1000. I WILL step it up firestorm :p

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Papercuts said:
It needs to be bought again, but it also refunds all the grade you spent back.

I see, after I beat the game the second time I figured I was sending it back to Gamefly so I traded in all my grade for chips. I ended up buying it so I didn't realize this damnit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm 6 hours into it right now, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Just about the leave
Torim Harbor

Quick question that I haven't quite figured out yet, though. I'm starting to understand the "Skills" system with the weapons a bit better, but I'm still a little confused. I noticed that when you equip weapons with a skill on them, there's a little bar that looks like it's there for leveling up a skill. When you max out that bar, do you essentially learn that skill permanently so you can use it without having that weapon equipped?

Mrcapcom

right^

I'm thinking of grabbin all the fell arms on my first playthrough I have like 3 already. wanted to know if anyone had any helpful tidbits on beating the 3rd form of the boss.

Pancakes

Mrcapcom said:
right^

I'm thinking of grabbin all the fell arms on my first playthrough I have like 3 already. wanted to know if anyone had any helpful tidbits on beating the 3rd form of the boss.

I woudn't suggest trying it on your first play through. I think I was level 130 or something and he was really damn tough on hard.

If you think you can though MAKE SURE to have a save before you get the last fel arm, Otherwise you are stuck trying to beat him.

He heals for very large amounts very frequently and has specials that bring you down to 1 health and another that heals him for a huge amount of health. Took me a good 1/2 hour to bring him down =/

john tv

Pankaks said:
I woudn't suggest trying it on your first play through. I think I was level 130 or something and he was really damn tough on hard.

If you think you can though MAKE SURE to have a save before you get the last fel arm, Otherwise you are stuck trying to beat him.

He heals for very large amounts very frequently and has specials that bring you down to 1 health and another that heals him for a huge amount of health. Took me a good 1/2 hour to bring him down =/
I had trouble with him on Normal around level 70 or so, so I dropped it to Easy for just that one fight and whooped his ass. Far better than waiting for a second play through to grab all the Fell Arms, IMO.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ok, so, this is embarrassing but...

I keep losing to Tweedle A and Tweedle B in Helirod when they try to teach us about Burst Arts. I'm level 21... and I don't know what to do. Any tips... sadly?

Pankaks said:

My two friends and I managed to beat him on Hard on our first playthrough at like like 75. PCs were Rita (myself), Repede, and Estelle. Stun Magic + 10 Fireballs = amazing. Repede had a sort-of stun lock with his Arte that brings down lightning, and Estellise was simply very good at playing the support character. I recall at one point he went into OL and started spamming Meteor Storm, so I equipped the tome that grants Perfect Magic and did the same thing. I won that meteor battle. >=)

ivysaur12 said:
Ok, so, this is embarrassing but...

I keep losing to Tweedle A and Tweedle B in Helirod when they try to teach us about Burst Arts. I'm level 21... and I don't know what to do. Any tips... sadly?

lol, using the burst artes will usually take them down pretty good. If it comes down to it, you can just fill up on items, free run and use the items if necessary. Other things include: updating equipment, messing around with skills (<3 backstep), etc.

ShadowgeistX said:
lol, using the burst artes will usually take them down pretty good. If it comes down to it, you can just fill up on items, free run and use the items if necessary. Other things include: updating equipment, messing around with skills (<3 backstep), etc.
If you wanna cheese it, run away and abuse Azure Edge. Usually pretty effective.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I'm about 3 hours into it, loving every minute. This is technically my 2nd Tales game, but I need some advice regarding combat. I feel like I'm just spamming/mashing attack 3 times, then use an arte. Am I doing something wrong?

Pancakes

john tv said:
I had trouble with him on Normal around level 70 or so, so I dropped it to Easy for just that one fight and whooped his ass. Far better than waiting for a second play through to grab all the Fell Arms, IMO.

Pshh easy :p, In all seriousness though you're right.
(I didn't realize the last boss had a 3rd form until I read a sidequest guide).

I personally would feel like I was cheating if i set the difficulty to Easy though.
I accidentally changed the difficulty to Easy during the EX Dungeon so I ended up beating that boss in a few seconds and felt kinda bad. Only problem is I need to get the 15 fake gald again aaaargh.

RocketDarkness said:
My two friends and I managed to beat him on Hard on our first playthrough at like like 75. PCs were Rita (myself), Repede, and Estelle. Stun Magic + 10 Fireballs = amazing. Repede had a sort-of stun lock with his Arte that brings down lightning, and Estellise was simply very good at playing the support character. I recall at one point he went into OL and started spamming Meteor Storm, so I equipped the tome that grants Perfect Magic and did the same thing. I won that meteor battle. >=)

This reminds me, does Vesperia have online multiplayer or is it just local?

ZealousD

suffah said:
I'm about 3 hours into it, loving every minute. This is technically my 2nd Tales game, but I need some advice regarding combat. I feel like I'm just spamming/mashing attack 3 times, then use an arte. Am I doing something wrong?

At the very least, try and build long combos. Get another melee partner and basically try to work between their attacks.

If you still think it's a bit repetitive, try upping the difficulty.

Pankaks said:
Pshh easy :p, In all seriousness though you're right. (I didn't realize the last boss had a 3rd form until I read a sidequest guide).

I personally would feel like I was cheating if i set the difficulty to Easy though.
I accidentally changed the difficulty to Easy during the EX Dungeon so I ended up beating that boss in a few seconds and felt kinda bad. Only problem is I need to get the 15 fake gald again aaaargh.

This reminds me, does Vesperia have online multiplayer or is it just local?
Only local.

We're sort of working on our second playthrough now (on and off, it's on UNKNOWN difficulty and we missed the EX Dungeon the first time), and our playtime is 130 hours or so. And yes, 99% of that is with the three of us playing together. But we're also working on Symphonia and Abyss, so it's slow going.

Firestorm

Pankaks, spoiler tag that bit about the boss.

suffah said:
For now, not really. Soon you'll learn how to link together different types of artes. For now you can just do 3 hits -> base arte -> arcane arte. You can also try doing 3 hits -> free run hit -> base arte -> arcane arte.

Mrcapcom

john tv said:

With this being my first playthrough If I drop the difficulty to easy for that match will it effect my grade? I do plan on playing again to get the close to 1000 achievement points, and I would like to carry over alot of stuff to a new game. I heard that I can spam tidal wave and stop flow with raven to cheese him lol I don't care about cheese. My usual team is Yuri/Raven/Judith/Estelle Can probally try changing it to Yuri/Rita/Estelle/Raven to beat that guy. Oh and I have the half item too half dmg all around. Does anyone know where I can buy/acquire it again?

I missed my chance for the item book and for ritas meteo storm, so Tidal Wave here I come! I will most def save before I get the last fellarm thanks a bunch guys. If anyone wants to chat hit me up on XBL MrCapcom

Mrcapcom said:
With this being my first playthrough If I drop the difficulty to easy for that match will it effect my grade? I do plan on playing again to get the close to 1000 achievement points, and I would like to carry over alot of stuff to a new game. I heard that I can spam tidal wave and stop flow with raven to cheese him lol I don't care about cheese. My usual team is Yuri/Raven/Judith/Estelle Can probally try changing it to Yuri/Rita/Estelle/Raven to beat that guy. Oh and I have the half item too half dmg all around. Does anyone know where I can buy/acquire it again?

I missed my chance for the item book and for ritas meteo storm, so Tidal Wave here I come! I will most def save before I get the last fellarm thanks a bunch guys. If anyone wants to chat hit me up on XBL MrCapcom
I'm pretty sure there's a second way to acquire Meteor Storm and Negative Gate, at least according to the guide I saw.

As for setting it to Easy, it should only affect your grade from that last battle, so no big deal.

Mrcapcom

could someone hit me up on my gt cause I looked at that guide nothing there about meteor storm unless its name different

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There's a Yuri defense force in the game. :lol Game never ceases to amaze me. I think this might be my rpg of the year.

ZealousD

11 hours into it now, just defeated
Barbos

Am I going too fast? Was that really the halfway point? I noticed the achievements list said I defeated part one and apparently there's two parts. I figured it'd be like Symphonia or Abyss where I went through them in 35-40 hours. Never been much of a sidequest guy.

Also, I know some people said the music was kinda forgettable in this game, but I thought the Dahngrest theme was excellent, probably the best town theme I've heard in the series.

When the hell is this coming out in the UK? I really enjoyed what I played of Symphonia when I had it, I should see about starting that again and finishing it this time at some point.

ZealousD said:
Barbos

Am I going too fast? Was that really the halfway point? I noticed the achievements list said I defeated part one and apparently there's two parts. I figured it'd be like Symphonia or Abyss where I went through them in 35-40 hours. Never been much of a sidequest guy.

Also, I know some people said the music was kinda forgettable in this game, but I thought the Dahngrest theme was excellent, probably the best town theme I've heard in the series.
You've got a looooooooong way to go.

Mrcapcom

Yea the game is long.

But i did get the Rita scene to play again at Halure. Still don't have meto storm though what do I do after that scene happens? Just fight and he will learn it?

Zzoram

ZealousD said:
Barbos

I'm ~16 hours in and ~level 35, and I haven't beaten that boss yet. I grind ToV on full-auto while I watch Korean Pro Starcraft.

Manaka

Darkflight said:
When the hell is this coming out in the UK? I really enjoyed what I played of Symphonia when I had it, I should see about starting that again and finishing it this time at some point.

Yeah, as of now it's just ridiculous...
I liked IU and now I'm enjoying TLR quite a bit, but even then they are only above average and what seems to be the first complete 360 JRPG that doesn't have 100 different issues doesn't get a European release date...
Considering on ps2 I even bought japanese Tales games that has to be longest wait for me to play a Tales main-entry

Pancakes

Kadey said:
Are any of the warehouse games worth doing or am I wasting my time?

It gives Karol a title so if you want that achievement yea it is.

Mrcapcom said:
Yea the game is long.

But i did get the Rita scene to play again at Halure. Still don't have meto storm though what do I do after that scene happens? Just fight and he will learn it?

No, she should have learned it in Halure. Try resting at the inn and going back to the tree area.

From the guide I linked - "In Aspio, head toward the center. Rest at the inn at least twice and head toward the center again for Rita to learn Meteor Swarm. If you are to activate this later in the game, go to Halure instead of Aspio" (Spirit Magic Part 1)

Kadey said:
There's a Yuri defense force in the game. :lol Game never ceases to amaze me. I think this might be my rpg of the year.

<3 Abyss references
tov.jpg

Mrcapcom

Yea thanks finally got it by mistake just happen to go to Hallure to get some equipment and the scene played Meto storm was worth grabbing its so hot. now I gotta figure out how to keep spaming with out my tp going down any suggestions?

Oh where do I go to check my grade?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What triggers the optional boss in Zaude after you beat Alexei? I know you can supposedly steal two great weapons and it's supposed to be very hard. And any tips for SM 17?

Pancakes

Kadey said:
What triggers the optional boss in Zaude after you beat Alexei? I know you can supposedly steal two great weapons and it's supposed to be very hard. And any tips for SM 17?

All copy and pasted from the guide
- Enter Ehmead Hill from the west exit. Go north, east and north to get the Fire Lilly (Avenging Soldiers Part 1)

- In Mt Temza, head up for Memorial Compact (Avenging Soldiers Part 2)

- In Capua Torim, toward the port to find Gauche and Droite. Go to Zaude and head to where you fought against Yeagerto fight Gauche and Droit. While fighting them, be sure to steal Gauche Sword And Droite Sword. After beating them, you will get the Leviathan's Maiden's Invitation and Raven's Divine Cannon. With the Leviathan's Maiden's Invitation, you can unlock 100 Man Melee in the Arena. However, don't clear 100 Man Melee because you won't get the full reward unless you have Hunting Blades' Invitation (Avenging Soldiers Final Part)

Mrcapcom said:
Yea thanks finally got it by mistake just happen to go to Hallure to get some equipment and the scene played Meto storm was worth grabbing its so hot. now I gotta figure out how to keep spaming with out my tp going down any suggestions?

Oh where do I go to check my grade?

At the very NW of the world map there should be an island, go there and go into the gymnasium, talk to the first cow guy at the table to the right, when he asks you to trade in stuff for chips select grade and bam there is your grade. DON'T ACTUALLY TRADE IN YOUR GRADE! :O

Also for infinite spamming of rita's bullshit spells you need alot of chips (I think like 111,111) and buy the risky ring from the island I mentioned earlier.

Firestorm

Kadey said:
And any tips for SM 17?
No. Well, I hear do overlimit with Yuri and spam 6 Destruction fields before switching for Rain.

Also, remember to visit
Phaeroh's Crag
before finishing the dungeon. Otherwise you will not be able to do the secret dungeon.

Top Bottom