• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
john tv said:
Finished it at just over 83 hours. What an awesome game. Abyss had a better story and better music IMO, but I give the nod to just about everything else to Vesperia.

I want more from this team ASAP. :)

No kidding :D . I'm on my second run
Right after the Don's death
and goddamn, this game is so addicting.

This is the first Tales game I've ever played are the others as good as Vesperia?

Firestorm

You're pretty close coolclimate.

Pankaks, Abyss and Symphonia are both games you should check out. Both by the team that did Vesperia.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Firestorm said:
You're pretty close coolclimate.

Pankaks, Abyss and Symphonia are both games you should check out. Both by the team that did Vesperia.

Alright I will try to get Symphonia asap, also fuck secret mission 17 I just managed to get it after a bunch of attempts.

Zzoram

I've only been playing this in ~30minute chunks. I'm about 7 hours in, level ~16 or so, and not very far in at all. I just got the ability to be back attacked, and to stun attack.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
23 awesome hours in.
Raven was revealed to be Schawnn (sp?)
. Game is VERY good. Like... fucking best JRPG I've played in a while. Hell, it might be my favorite JRPG.

Buy this game people, it's awesome =D

Firestorm

Two people on my friends list 1000/1000'd this game. Neither of them is Jiggy.

sonic-unlocked.jpg

C'mon, step it up!

ivysaur12

Banned
Got this game over Christmas, I just made it to
The Hunter's Guild firing Karol.

Great game, a lot better thus far than Abyss. Blastia is so much easier to understand than fonons. I think I spent at least half the game trying to wrap my head around the basic concept of Abyss's world.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just got my import asia version. I'm off work for the next 4 days so hopefully I'm going to like the game enough to keep me occupied. I don't like ARPG so...

ZiZ

so I just finished the game.

and there's something bugging me about the ending.

shouldn't raven have died after they converted all the blastia into spirits?

Great game btw. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time.

ZiZ said:
so I just finished the game.

and there's something bugging me about the ending.

shouldn't raven have died after they converted all the blastia into spirits?

Great game btw. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time.

yea a couple people wondered this

but the only thing that could be thought of is
since his runs on life energy and not aer then it was unaffected

_dd_

Great game. Just finished and clocked in at 88 hours.
My brother came over for Christmas and we put in about 44 hours over the course of 3 days, and I love this game. Reminded me so much of Tales of Symphonia, so I think I'll have to revisit that game soon.

Pancakes

Firestorm said:
Two people on my friends list 1000/1000'd this game. Neither of them is Jiggy.

sonic-unlocked.jpg

C'mon, step it up!

I got 845 :(, not sure if I wanna play the game again or send it back and get symphonia.

Zzoram

I don't know if I actually like this game that much. I think I preferred Lost Odyssey.

I got stuck on some stupid boss. I figure I need to level grind, but that is really boring, so I just set a custom full auto profile and just run into any enemy I see. At least grinding isn't as bad when you don't have to control the combat.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm having some trouble executing those Artes combos in ToV... any advice?

Llyranor

Well, it shouldn't be hard to execute. Just do your basic 3-attack combo. As you finish the last strike, launch a base arte, and follow-up immediately after with an arcane arte. If the timing is right, you should be able to execute them in succession.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Okay cool, I think I got it down. Just need to get my timing right.

Pancakes

Zzoram said:
I don't know if I actually like this game that much. I think I preferred Lost Odyssey.

I got stuck on some stupid boss. I figure I need to level grind, but that is really boring, so I just set a custom full auto profile and just run into any enemy I see. At least grinding isn't as bad when you don't have to control the combat.

Really? I ran past enemies all the time and didn't have too much trouble on any of the bosses.
Except for that fucker on ehmead hill "gatsugo" or something like that. I had to put it on easy.

reilo said:
Okay cool, I think I got it down. Just need to get my timing right.

Make sure you set your skills as well, I went through 2/3 of the game before I realized my stupidity.

Pancakes

Alright GAF I caved in and actually bought Vesperia from gamefly. Its probably one of the best games I've played in a very long time :D .

Akira

I just started playing this again. I thought I had gotten far, but I was only 12 hours into the game. I feel like I'm not using the battle system to its full potential. I'm only controlling one character while the others are running on FFXII like gambits. How are you guys using the battle system? And I have no idea how to use the Semi Auto setting.

Jiggy

Akira said:
I feel like I'm not using the battle system to its full potential. I'm only controlling one character while the others are running on FFXII like gambits.
Er... that's Tales for you. o_O Or pretty much any action RPG, for that matter. You can't simultaneously control four characters in real-time.

careksims

Darkman M said:
Where's my damn le bonus namco!

Haha I'm still waiting for that one. Gah! Scamco is the right word for it. I fear they have totally forgotten about it :( At least give me a Rita figure.

Pancakes

Akira said:
I just started playing this again. I thought I had gotten far, but I was only 12 hours into the game. I feel like I'm not using the battle system to its full potential. I'm only controlling one character while the others are running on FFXII like gambits. How are you guys using the battle system? And I have no idea how to use the Semi Auto setting.

Semi-Auto just runs you to the enemy or sets you in the correct direction, it also changes the jump to X+Up instead of manual's (Up) IIRC.

You're supposed to only control one character but you can get an item through synthesis which allows you to switch characters on the spot.

I'm not sure if I understand your confusion but,the battle system is not extremely complicated. Using Yuri as an example: 3 hit combo-> Base Arte -> Arcane Art, and once you get enough over limits pull off Burst/Mystic Artes.

Akira

Okay, I guess I thought that you could play this as a turn by turn system, sort of like Final Fantasy or something. Like how KOTOR, you could set it to play turn by turn.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
man,you have to be the firsta person I've seen who doesn't understand the tales battle system o_O.

Pancakes

zeelman said:
I watched that earlier today. It's not much of a combo video. The weird things he did were interesting to watch, though.
I really want to know how he got Nan and Tison to attack each other.

I assume he used
Droite and Gauche's sword which can inflict charm

kiryogi said:
A little new year's video from Nore139... Major tales expert from Japan.

3 words. Fatal Strike Cancel.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=7eUGUDMII8k&fmt=18

O_O Holy crap!

Firestorm

reilo said:
I'm having some trouble executing those Artes combos in ToV... any advice?
For now, 3 hits -> base arte -> arcane arte.

Eventually you get a lot of skills that will help you rack up the damage. My friend told me he does this one:
"Shining Fang --> Dragon Swarm --> Shining Fang --> Shining Fang Drop (overlimit) -->Dragon Swarm x2 --> Burste Arte (blaze) --> Dragon Cannon down -->Dragon Swarm x2 --> Burste Arte (blaze) --> Dragon Cannon down --> Dragon Swarm --> Mystic Arte"

Oi. This is with that skill that lets you go into overlimit automatically after a certain amount of hits. Says he does 400k damage with the Fell Arm equipped.

Dizzy-4U

I'm 35 hs in the game. This is addictive as hell.

Quick question though. Now I'm doing a bunch of side quest, gathering some materials to create outfits and such. I already got the waitress outfit for my characters (that was a pain), etc.

Do you keep all these stuff in the New Game +? I know that you don't keep your level, but what about your items, outfits, characters titles, cooking recipes?

I'm planning on playing it more than once and since I'm not following any guide on my first playtrough, I'm pretty sure that I have missed some things. But I won't worry too much about "characters titles" in this playtrough If I need to get them again in New Game +

Firestorm

Yes. Just grind grade at the end of the game and use it to carry over all your stuff. Titles (including costumes), items, receipes, monster book, item book, gald, increase item holding capacity, artes, skills, set all skills to 1sp, 10x experience, and more can all be bought.

Pancakes

Firestorm said:
Yes. Just grind grade at the end of the game and use it to carry over all your stuff. Titles (including costumes), items, receipes, monster book, item book, gald, increase item holding capacity, artes, skills, set all skills to 1sp, 10x experience, and more can all be bought.

BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave.....The horror.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I finished Prince of Persia last night and I think I'm finally going to crack open my Special Edition copy that I've been sitting on since release.

Is there anything I absolutely need to know or suggestions people have? Avoid spoilers please!

cress2000

Pankaks said:
BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave BlahBlahBlah..Tidalwave.....The horror.

Thank god for wired controllers. You can just let the game play itself for several hours.

4873grade.jpg

Pancakes

ZealousD said:
So I finished Prince of Persia last night and I think I'm finally going to crack open my Special Edition copy that I've been sitting on since release.

Is there anything I absolutely need to know or suggestions people have? Avoid spoilers please!

DO NOT sell your weapons.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Back to playing the game. I'm about to meet
Phareoh on top of his crib after the dragon grew big and I get to fly around now, how far am I into the game?

Zzoram

cress2000 said:
Thank god for wired controllers. You can just let the game play itself for several hours.

4873grade.jpg

How? You can have them on full-auto combat, but at the end of each fight, you have to press a button to get back into the overworld.

Tamanon

Banned
Zzoram said:
How? You can have them on full-auto combat, but at the end of each fight, you have to press a button to get back into the overworld.

By not ending the fight. Judging by the grade amount there, looks like it was juggling an enemy with one spell over and over.

cress2000

Zzoram said:

Weccea continent. Those turtles have a crapload of HP. They take forever to down with minimum damage enabled. That pic was taken after they had been worn down to only about half HP and then killed with fatal strikes (when I wanted to play again). Rita just racks up a ton of FS chains with tidal wave by allowing her AI to go overlimit whenever possible.

john tv

cress2000 said:
Weccea continent. Those turtles have a crapload of HP. They take forever to down with minimum damage enabled. That pic was taken after they had been worn down to only about half HP and then killed with fatal strikes (when I wanted to play again). Rita just racks up a ton of FS chains with tidal wave by allowing her AI to go overlimit whenever possible.
I've been curious to try this but all the different explanations I've read have been inconsistent and none of them are explained well at all. What was your exact setup? I wanna try!

RetroMG

cress2000 said:

Hmm... OK, I think I see what you're doing, there. I'll have to try it.

Diablos

I never bothered to do this while I played through my first game, but, how do you change your costumes? I had things like sunglasses and stuff, but could never put them on anybody.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finally started playing this game and it's great... my only complaint is that it seems that characters like to stop and talk every few seconds. Take a few steps in a dungeon, get into a dialogue scene... get to a new town, get another dialogue scene. Just let me play the game! The dungeon design is awesome, but then again the last game I played was Fallout 3 and any dungeons are more interesting than the ones in that game :p

Pancakes

Diablos said:
I never bothered to do this while I played through my first game, but, how do you change your costumes? I had things like sunglasses and stuff, but could never put them on anybody.

-Go into the menu (Y)

-At the top go to view character details

-Toggle Attachments/Titles for whichever characters you want.

Top Bottom