• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

By the end of the game I always played as either Rita or Yuri. Rita is really fun and her Overlimit is great. That reminds me, I've only seen Yuri and Rita's Mystic Artes, I should check out the rest.

R0nn

Tamanon said:
Raven do nothing wrong? :p

He did lie to them several times and GIVE ESTELLE OVER TO THE BAD GUYS THEN FIGHT THE PARTY!

Yeah well ok, besides that. :lol I guess I just really like the personality of the character, so I usually felt sorry for him when everyone was picking on him. He really reminds me of Jansen from Lost Odyssey. Doesn't he also have the exact same voice actor?

Another plot point I'm wondering about currently.
What was Estelle's motivation to seek out Flynn at the beginning of the game? Maybe I overlooked, but it never became completely clear to me why she was so hell bent on meeting him.

Also, I'm really curious how others played the game, since I really have the impression that I didn't get everything out of it. I already mentioned that I underutilized altered, burst and mystic artes with party members and that I always controlled Yuri. How did you guys play the game? Also, how did you guys set up Estelle? I would always let her keep her distance and just let her keep spamming artes/spells, but I feel like she would also be quite decent in melee combat since she's got quite a bit of P.Def and quite a bit of melee artes. Almost like a Cleric from a D&D RPG.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
R0nn said:
Another plot point I'm wondering about currently.
What was Estelle's motivation to seek out Flynn at the beginning of the game? Maybe I overlooked, but it never became completely clear to me why she was so hell bent on meeting him.

I forgot exactly, but i guess
to warn Flynn about the assassin ( Zagi ) that is after him ?

Tamanon said:
Raven do nothing wrong? :p

He did lie to them several times and GIVE ESTELLE OVER TO THE BAD GUYS THEN FIGHT THE PARTY!

The scene where
they all punch him out was hilarious though.
:lol

Natural

Finally finished it after just under 70 hours.

Really good game, though the story was decent enough - wasn't as good as Symphonia's admittedly. Music was really well done in parts, Voice Acting I thought was particularly good and really suited each of the characters well (though Judiths' voice was annoying). Cut scenes were good.

Combat wise, the Fatal Strikes and FS Chain stuff didn't really grab me, was hoping for something similar to Symphonia's Union Attacks. The Mystic and Altered Artes was a nice touch, though I didn't really let any of the characters use the Mystic Artes (bar myself as Yuri) as I thought the AI would use the Over Limit at stupid times (which they did).

Only managed to clock up ~1900 Grade at the end of the game, so i'm somewhat limited to the things I can buy for the next play-through.

For the Unknown Difficulty, is that a harder difficulty similar to Symphonia's Hard/Mania setting?

Geneijin

R0nn said:
I don't really like how many sidequests can be missed so easily and are usually really obscure. The game doesn't give off any hints towards most of them, so it boils down to randomly backtracking all over the place. Many jRPGs do this, and I really wonder why?

Sidequests are easy to find and do in Vesperia compared to Abyss if you haven't played although the very short loading times help that experience immensely unlike the other. Since
the game is broken into 3 parts, I found it easier to double check for hidden quests really

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Opened my mailbox today and had an unexpected surprise. I actually got the other parts of the 10th anniversary soundtrack. Included both Vol 2 and unexpectedly... a volume 3.

Not sure whether this was because of Tales Brigade or the Collector's Edition bonus, I ordered the soundtrack from both.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Geneijin said:
Pretty much. But you may be surprised at the difficulty from Hard to Unknown.

It's not too bad, but most boss's Mystic Artes will insta kill you.

Wizpig

Out of stock everywhere... anyone knows where to buy Vesperia from a UK site or a site that ships to Italy too?
It's for a friend.

Shit I missed the backstep for Yuri and I'm in the endgame right before the last dungeon. :lol Where can I get the skill?

Got all the materials for Last Fencer from chip machines in Nam Cobanda in like ten minutes. Still missing couple of fell arms. Game's so fun!

Misterinenja said:
Shit I missed the backstep for Yuri and I'm in the endgame right before the last dungeon. :lol Where can I get the skill?

Got all the materials for Last Fencer from chip machines in Nam Cobanda in like ten minutes. Still missing couple of fell arms. Game's so fun!
Why would you want Backstep now that you've got Glory? 'Tis no time for running; equip the Stun Talisman and full charge ahead!*

*No guarantees made on the quality of such a strategy depending character level and difficulty setting.

:p

But yeah, the Scimitar at Deidon Hold has Backstep.

Datschge

Kweh said:
What is the idea behind Judith's Minimum Damage skill where she just hits for 1 all the time?
It's for making endless combo chains possible without the enemy dieing on you. There are plenty videos of such from diverse Tales games out there.

Aexact

Kweh said:
What is the idea behind Judith's Minimum Damage skill where she just hits for 1 all the time?

You know those colored glyphs that tell you when Fatal Strikes are coming up? Enemy types will drop more LP, Gald or items if you perform a certain color Fatal Strike on them. As you advance in the game, you'll probably be killing things faster then you can activate the glyphs and miss out on the bonuses unless you have something like Minimum Damage. You can also increase the bonus by chaining glyphs which is basically making the glyph appear, not doing the Fatal Strike but continuing to combo the enemy (not allowing them to block or recover) until the same color glyph appears again. There should be a counter in the right hand corner in battle that tells you how long your chain is. When you've had enough, finish the chain with a Fatal Strike.

There should be a page in the in-game battle book that tells you what enemies are related to what color glyph.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FINALLY, shitty pic edition.

1zwp2zl.jpg

Only took 167 hours over the span of a year! :lol

Awesome game and all, but god damn I see why I usually never bother to 100% RPGs.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Papercuts said:
Awesome game and all, but god damn I see why I usually never bother to 100% RPGs.

Congrats, you got 100% faster than I did :lol.

Netto-kun

Beaten the PS3 version. Loved it from beginning to the end. Will probably start an EX New Game once I've done some grade farming and beaten Valkyria Chronicles. As for those who are curious about Flynn, he is playable during
Ghasfarost, Baction, Heracles and becomes a permanent member after all the main events in Aurnion.

Firestorm

Netto-kun said:
Beaten the PS3 version. Loved it from beginning to the end. Will probably start an EX New Game once I've done some grade farming and beaten Valkyria Chronicles. As for those who are curious about Flynn, he is playable during
Ghasfarost, Baction, Heracles and becomes a permanent member after all the main events in Aurnion.
If the game has trophies, are the secret missions the same? Wondering if I need to update the OP.

Any additional secret bosses? =D

Firestorm said:
If the game has trophies, are the secret missions the same? Wondering if I need to update the OP.

Yes,
some new Giganto monsters as well as the Sword Dancer.

Probably more too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really rushed the game my first time through, is there anything I should really keep a look out for in the new game ex? I don't want to use a walkthrough or anything but if one is necessary let me know and I'll go ahead and swallow my pride.

Hyunkel6

DY_nasty said:
I really rushed the game my first time through, is there anything I should really keep a look out for in the new game ex? I don't want to use a walkthrough or anything but if one is necessary let me know and I'll go ahead and swallow my pride.

It's been nearly 9 months since I finished the game, but I remember that the Fel Arms sidequest, the Giganto monsters and the secret missions were pretty fun to do.

That said, it's very hard to do those sidequests (except maybe the Giganto monsters) without a walkthrough.

MelloBoy

Neo Member
DY_nasty said:

lots of skits and events and ultimately ... titles? (称号) are available during a limited time in the game. If you trigger events along the main story, some of them become unavailable. Also, some side-quests may override other sidequests which prevents a number of events from happening until the overriding sidequest/subevent/etc is cleared.

i'm not sure if that's what you're asking about, though...

Netto-kun

Fimbulvetr said:
I knew it.
I forgot to mention that he is also playable during
Zaude.

Firestorm said:

Yes, the game has trophies, and there are 25 secret missions in total. The 1s new secret mission is against
the Sword Dancer when you run into the abandoned pirate ship (Atherum or something?). If I didn't mistranslate the objective description, you'll earn the trophy by knocking down the boss while he is loading his revolver with bullets (secret mission 8 in the PS3 version). You'll fight him once more waaaaaaaay later in the game, in Nor Harbor right before all the events in Aurnion.

I assume (since I didn't beat the mission) that the 2nd new secret mission (secret mission 20 in the PS3 version) is against the Daybreaker and Nightbreaker, since that secret mission is shown after Alexei but before Gusio.

As for secret bosses,
Rich at the King of Adventure mentioned 11 Giganto monsters in total. Yuri will also have a solo fight (minor part of the main story event) against Don Whitehorse in Keiv Moc (level 60+ with 160k HP), after beating the Gigalarva.

Wraith

About to start the game and intend to go through FAQless. I'd still like to see quite a bit of content, though. Any things that I absolutely should/should not do?

DY_nasty

Wraith said:
About to start the game and intend to go through FAQless. I'd still like to see quite a bit of content, though. Any things that I absolutely should/should not do?
Same here.

I'm thinking that I may have to bite the bullet and head over to gamefaqs though.

Wraith said:

Do: Pay attention to your skills immediately, I ended up sucking a lot initially because I ignored the passive skills and stuck to the ones I knew.

Do not: Sell Weapons once a character masters their skills, you'll need them for synthesis. Plus some characters share weapons.

DY_nasty

Any tips for playing as others? I didn't even know that it was an option until 40+ hours into the game. :lol

DY_nasty said:
Any tips for playing as others? I didn't even know that it was an option until 40+ hours into the game. :lol

:lol

Rita is the easiest character to play as if you aren't Yuri, IMO.

Judith is an aerial attack goddess, many find her hard to pull off though.

Karol is slow and has pretty low combo-ability if you haven't mastered using him, but has the highest attack power, critical rate, and the ability to charge attacks.

Estelle is awkward to use offensively but can actually pull of decent combos if mastered.

I don't get Repede, but he's the fastest.

Raven can fill so many roles, but his magic artes don't start delivering until you get the altered versions.

Peff

It's better not to use a FAQ unless it's for the Secret Missions in boss battles the first time through (since it's much harder to do when you're whopping ass the second time), you'd accidentally spoil something eventually. You can use the first post here for the SM. Pay attention to the tutorials, especially for Fatal Strikes and Burst Artes and yeah, don't sell any weapons. If you're going for achievements make sure you have plenty of magic lenses with you at all times. Enjoy :D

Negator

Wraith said:

Don't make the same mistake I did, and not upgrade your overlimit meter until endgame. Synthesize the item that lets you go to level 2/3/4 as soon as you see them.

Hyunkel6

JonStark said:
Well I finished the japanese PS3 demo, and I'm wondering :

Is there some kind of unison attack like the one in Symphonia ? Loved this...

Not in the 360 version. I'm assuming it's the same for the PS3.

I also liked the unison attacks in Symphonia. I remember getting out of my way to get them all. They should have put some in this game. :(

Hyunkel6 said:
Not in the 360 version. I'm assuming it's the same for the PS3.

I also liked the unison attacks in Symphonia. I remember getting out of my way to get them all. They should have put some in this game. :(

Damn ! But I guess the other improvements will make me forget about this "lack" ;)

Peff

JonStark said:
Can you explain what it is please ?

Mystic Artes are similar to super combos in fighting games, a portrait of the character comes up and he/she starts beating enemies like crazy (there were a handful of these in Symphonia too but they were well hidden). A dual mystic arte is basically the same but by two (determined) characters at once, but yeah, it's more of a curiosity compared to Unison Attacks.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Doing the Labyrinth of Memories and it's like 0 challenge to me even on hard. Rita spam + Yuri's fell arm = everything dead. Haven't gotten to the end of it yet, but hopefully the boss boss is a bit more difficult than the other things.

Peff

Looks like there will be DLC costumes alongside the release of the OVA next week (PS3 only, I guess, with a Flynn costume...)

zx3dh.jpg

That's what I thought True Knight would look like, but the ponytail was pretty cool too :D

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm in the middle or about 3/4ths of the way through Infinite Undiscovery. I have Tales of Vesperia but have only played 30 minutes of it so far. I really hate to go from one RPG to another when I'm in the middle of one, but ToV looks so nice. Would it be safe to begin ToV while still trying to complete IU?

ashism

Starting up my first playthrough of the game. I am newer to Tales of Series, but pretty experience with JRPG's in general.
Will I have an overabundance of normal items if I play on the normal difficulty? Should I crank it up to hard for both fun and challenge?

squall211

ashism said:
Starting up my first playthrough of the game. I am newer to Tales of Series, but pretty experience with JRPG's in general.
Will I have an overabundance of normal items if I play on the normal difficulty? Should I crank it up to hard for both fun and challenge?

You're only allowed 15 (I think) of each item on your first playthrough. On your second playthrough I"m pretty sure you can purchase something from the grade shop that increase the max. # of each item you can carry.

Top Bottom