• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

FSLink said:
Once he has his blastia showing, wait until he guards, and then break his guard with Destruction Field spamming in Overlimit 1. Don't activate Overlimit near him though, otherwise he flies away. XD Pause in between each Destruction Field to watch for the guard break, and once it does, switch to Raven, wait for Yeager to chase one of your party members and he'll stagger. Spam Rain and you should get it.
I took about 110 hours for first playthrough on Hard, and did the majority of sidequests and scanned all monsters I saw (forgot to get the tutorial at the beginning though, d'oh.) Didn't get Yuri's True Knight title or the cooking titles, but got most of the Fatal Strike titles playing normally. So there's not too much left for me to do for 2nd playthrough. :lol

Actually, I lost the thing spamming rain, it worked for me with one good shot to the chest, but you have to wait for the arte to finish. Rain creates a small explosion a couple moments after it connects, that explosion completed the secret mission for me.

I'm actually getting a craving for Vesperia action. I hope the PS3 version gets released, I'd be happy to double-dip for it.

Tailzo

DY_nasty said:
How far in are you?

I was thinking it was merely an above avg jrpg for the first couple of hours, then somewhere down the line it turned into something amazing.

I am approaching a desert.
We just formed brave vesperia

starsky

Double dipping? You people are insane, I haven't even started my second playthrough since I don't have time and too many backlogs :lol
But yeah, if they release some DLC I'll probably go back and replay this game. And maybe aim for 1000/1000... ugh

Tailzo>
If I'm not mistaken there are 3 arcs in the story, you're starting on arc 2.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Tailzo said:
Although I really like Vesperia so far, I am not sure I would double dip.

If I had a PS3 I probably would.

kai3345

Banned
I'm really loving this game, but lately (I just killed
the fox lady at the arena
) every other cutscene seems to follow the same formula.

1. Estelle can't make a decision
2. Rita says shes going to leave to research/study something
3. They make it sound like the group is going to split up.
4. Someone says something and then...
5. " Well if so and so is going, then I'm going too!"

It gets really annoying after a while, but otherwise its a great game!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Those who bought the special edition, did you ever receive the second soundtrack CD(the bonus?)

I never got it! Damn you scamco.

RagolSlayer

Neo Member
Ermac said:
Those who bought the special edition, did you ever receive the second soundtrack CD(the bonus?)

I never got it! Damn you scamco.

Yep, I got both Vol. 2 and Vol.3. Don't remember how long it took for me to get them, sorry.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I just checked my email and I registered it on May 17th.

Yeah, it's probably never coming. Ffuuu

starsky

kai3345 said:
1. Estelle can't make a decision
2. Rita says shes going to leave to research/study something
3. They make it sound like the group is going to split up.
4. Someone says something and then...
5. " Well if so and so is going, then I'm going too!"

It gets really annoying after a while, but otherwise its a great game!

6. Flynn arrives late to the scene, the party runs away from him.
7. Flynn and co have to clean up the mess.

Firestorm

Meier said:
Omg Gattuso is wooping my ass. :( Might have to change it to easy I think...
It's a really odd boss yes. You'll have to be at least level 14. Most do it around 18 I think. Only weird difficulty spike in the game though.

Meier

Firestorm said:
It's a really odd boss yes. You'll have to be at least level 14. Most do it around 18 I think. Only weird difficulty spike in the game though.
I was 13/14 and just leveled up to 15... saw the recommendations to take out the pups first so I did that and just got him to half. Meh.

MrDaravon

I just finished getting all 1000 points on this a few weeks ago (took about 160 hours), and aside from one weird fluke that was my fault, Gattuso was the ONLY time I died the entire game. He killed me like 4 times -_-.

Hyunkel6

Firestorm said:

Duke's 3rd form
was pretty brutal too. I remember cursing myself for assembling all the
Fel arms
on my 1st playthrough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hyunkel6 said:
Duke's 3rd form
was pretty brutal too. I remember cursing myself for assembling all the
Fel arms
on my 1st playthrough.

True. That optional fight took me more than half an hour on my first try too. Most of which was frantic healing.

Firestorm

imtehman said:
hell yea, day one.

i'm guessing tales sold well enough to justify a sequel?
It has sold about 500k worldwide across both platforms at this time.

And good to see an English version of that news. I couldn't understand the google translate page for shit =P Although them talking about it means we might not see it until 3 years from now... Team Symphonia should already be well underway with their game...

Jonsoncao

Banned
Firestorm said:
It has sold about 500k worldwide across both platforms at this time.

And good to see an English version of that news. I couldn't understand the google translate page for shit =P Although them talking about it means we might not see it until 3 years from now... Team Symphonia should already be well underway with their game...

Japan:
360 200k
PS3 300k

IIRC 360 ver did like 7k during the first month in US, we dun have data of Euro sales, but based on a fair guess considering the price drop probably it is 650k ww for now

Firestorm

Jonsoncao said:
Japan:
360 200k
PS3 300k

IIRC 360 ver did like 7k during the first month in US, we dun have data of Euro sales, but based on a fair guess considering the price drop probably it is 650k ww for now
70k you mean I think =P I remember the 100k number being thrown around. Last numbers we have for Japan are 161k for 360 and 291k for PS3

cress2000

I recall the January 2009 NPD thread had Vesperia tracked with 107k LTD. Who knows where it went after that, or how much Canada adds to that number.

Meier

Gigalarva proved to difficult my first try...stupid healing thing. I'll give it another shot tomorrow when I'm fresh.

Netto-kun

Ok, I just noticed that the opening animation randomly shuffles between the English and Japanese version of "Ring A Bell".:lol

Edit: Was that the case with the 360 version?

Peff

Netto-kun said:
Ok, I just noticed that the opening animation randomly shuffles between the English and Japanese version of "Ring A Bell".:lol

Edit: Was that the case with the 360 version?

Only after you saw the videos in Namco Banda Island IIRC, but the japanese opening was definitely there.

Meier

Maybe I am just missing something supremely obvious. I am in Ghasfarost and I've made it up to the top level of the first part. Got all the cogs moving, killed everything. There is one of those spots I assume I'd shoot with my ring behind the glass tube with the green energy. Nothing will happen every time I shoot it so the steps won't drop down to allow me to go any higher... anyone know about this area that can offer a suggestion? :( I left and came back and for the life of me I just cant get the steps to drop down...

p.s. Judith bending over in the skit after you escape was a nice treat. :p

Figured it out, phew.

Datschge

Firestorm said:
Although them talking about it means we might not see it until 3 years from now... Team Symphonia should already be well underway with their game...
Yea, of the original staff about 1/3 worked on the PS3 version, and project lead Takashi Hasegawa is notably absent there. So the next "Team Symphonia" game should be well on the way to be out next year. A ToV2 would come after that game, unless a random team like the ToS-R one jump in once again.

Firestorm said:
70k you mean I think =P I remember the 100k number being thrown around. Last numbers we have for Japan are 161k for 360 and 291k for PS3
I recall Vesperia 360 reaching 200k in Japan, and Vesperia PS3 already at nearly 300k. US numbers are definitely over 70k, and if we are to believe leaked numbers, perhaps around 130-150k at this moment. I don't know about UK, but my friend said it was sold out when he went to pick his up...so hopefully it was pretty decent over there!

Peff

FateBreaker said:
I don't know about UK, but my friend said it was sold out when he went to pick his up...so hopefully it was pretty decent over there!

After the translation fiasco, sales in Spain and Italy must have been VERY poor (in fact, leaderboards for Spain show around 700 people, and who knows how many of them are rentals/pirated copies). In the UK and France, at least when I was there last summer, it was indeed pretty hard to come by, but that could be just a case of small shipping :(

Firestorm

FateBreaker said:
I recall Vesperia 360 reaching 200k in Japan, and Vesperia PS3 already at nearly 300k. US numbers are definitely over 70k, and if we are to believe leaked numbers, perhaps around 130-150k at this moment. I don't know about UK, but my friend said it was sold out when he went to pick his up...so hopefully it was pretty decent over there!
I went by garaph which updates numbers when they're provided.

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=182

And yeah, the 70k number for US I quoted was month 1 + 2. It hit about 107k January as Cress said. Since then we've had 9 months + a 50% price drop so I assume it's doing decently.

Vesperia sold out here on release too actually. If I hadn't pre-ordered I would have been screwed. And EB Canada doesn't do the bullshit GameStop does where even really popular games aren't available unless you pre-order.

Rpgmonkey

Datschge said:
Yea, of the original staff about 1/3 worked on the PS3 version, and project lead Takashi Hasegawa is notably absent there. So the next "Team Symphonia" game should be well on the way to be out next year. A ToV2 would come after that game, unless a random team like the ToS-R one jump in once again.

I was hoping next year would have another portable game. I was starting to get used to getting one every two or so years, not to mention they finally left a good taste in my mouth with a portable Tales and I'll have to wait longer now to see if that was a fluke or not, lol.

Well, I guess one can still happen if the next "TS" one is summer 2010, but eh.

Based on my prior experience with Tales sequels however, I'm not interested one bit in a possible Vesperia sequel. Blegh. :p

Firestorm

Rpgmonkey said:
I was hoping next year would have another portable game. I was starting to get used to getting one every two or so years, not to mention they finally left a good taste in my mouth with a portable Tales and I'll have to wait longer now to see if that was a fluke or not, lol.

Well, I guess one can still happen if the next "TS" one is summer 2010, but eh.

Based on my prior experience with Tales sequels however, I'm not interested one bit in a possible Vesperia sequel. Blegh. :p
I want a new HD Tales. Not one of your portable Tales that I will never get the chance to play without a fan hacking it!

Aurora

Really good game. Clocked up 43 hours in around 5 days :lol
I think I'm fairly close to the end storywise but have quite a few other things that need doing.

Until now I'd been saving every single OL for bosses. Didn't realise how quickly the meter filled up! Now I'm using it every other fight or some shit.

Also, I have the skill Void Attack. Is there one that is permanent as opposed to occasional? Getting my combos interrupted is one of the more annoying aspects at the moment.

Firestorm

I can't remember, what does Void Attack do? One of Yuri's last weapons has a skill that makes you not flinch while in the middle of attacking.

Peff

Yep, Last Fencer and the ability is glory, but you either get it from fulfilling the last boss' secret mission or by synthesis with one of the most complicated recipes since it needs several star gems (though you can get them in Namco Banda), so I don't think it's an option at the moment:lol

Hyunkel6

Void attack sometimes prevents staggering when you receive a physical attack. I think there is a permanent one (Heavy Weight), but it's only for Karol.

Hyunkel6 said:
Void attack sometimes prevents staggering when you receive a physical attack. I think there is a permanent one (Heavy Weight), but it's only for Karol.

Yeah but it slows him down.

Glory is way better because it's all of the Voids combined into one.

Aurora

Alright cool, thanks. Guess I'll just wait until the final boss then!

This game sucks away time so fast. I just burnt my dinner :(

Nose Master

I think I might try to beat this, finally. I just (near end game I think)
Karen just revealed that he's that general guy with the faulty heart. Actually, I think he's come back to life already, too. About how long do I have left? My playtime is massive.

Meier

Aurora said:
Really good game. Clocked up 43 hours in around 5 days :lol
Yikes. :O I hope you're a college student. :lol I beat Barbos and had Estelle and Rita leave along with Raven and Judith.. I assume I'll head back to the Lower Quarter to return the Aque Blastia but I was just zooming through the storyline there to make sure I could save it.

Peff

Nose Master said:
Karen just revealed that he's that general guy with the faulty heart. Actually, I think he's come back to life already, too. About how long do I have left? My playtime is massive.

Quite a bit left, actually :lol That is around the halfway point, maybe around 1/4 of the second half.

Nose Master said:

Karen? :lol

You're almost done. Two major villains left.

Top Bottom