• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

kai3345

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
I'm in the middle or about 3/4ths of the way through Infinite Undiscovery. I have Tales of Vesperia but have only played 30 minutes of it so far. I really hate to go from one RPG to another when I'm in the middle of one, but ToV looks so nice. Would it be safe to begin ToV while still trying to complete IU?
YES

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ashism said:
Starting up my first playthrough of the game. I am newer to Tales of Series, but pretty experience with JRPG's in general.
Will I have an overabundance of normal items if I play on the normal difficulty? Should I crank it up to hard for both fun and challenge?
You can switch difficulties whenver you feel like it

Tamanon

Banned
ashism said:
Starting up my first playthrough of the game. I am newer to Tales of Series, but pretty experience with JRPG's in general.
Will I have an overabundance of normal items if I play on the normal difficulty? Should I crank it up to hard for both fun and challenge?

I'd keep it on normal until you get the hang of the full combat system, then you can switch it to hard at will from the menu if you want more challenge.

Wraith said:
About to start the game and intend to go through FAQless. I'd still like to see quite a bit of content, though. Any things that I absolutely should/should not do?
Sleep in inns whenever you get the chance, you'll get lots of extra story/sidequest stuff that way.

starsky

Darkmakaimura said:
I'm in the middle or about 3/4ths of the way through Infinite Undiscovery. I have Tales of Vesperia but have only played 30 minutes of it so far. I really hate to go from one RPG to another when I'm in the middle of one, but ToV looks so nice. Would it be safe to begin ToV while still trying to complete IU?

IU is really short compared to ToV, some people can finish it under 20 hours. You should try to finish it first before moving on imo. Btw, I really like IU so of course I'm biased :).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
hot damn.

Sucks all of that stuff is for the ps3 only. I did manage to keep all of my weapons my first time through - still, I think I sucked at combat. I could never use the completely free combat system without major problems. Any advice with that? I want to kick up the difficulty. Also, regarding the fatal strike stuff, is the benefit of using the damage reducing artes to rack up on fatal strike bonuses really worth it?

Geneijin

DY_nasty said:
hot damn.

Sucks all of that stuff is for the ps3 only. I did manage to keep all of my weapons my first time through - still, I think I sucked at combat. I could never use the completely free combat system without major problems. Any advice with that? I want to kick up the difficulty. Also, regarding the fatal strike stuff, is the benefit of using the damage reducing artes to rack up on fatal strike bonuses really worth it?

They are if you know what FS corresponds to what bonuses for which particular type of monster. They're listed in your battle book. The LP bonus I found useless because I always run into every single battle like I have a Dark Bottle on. The best one is the increase drop rate when you're hunting for synthesis components to make items with.

I have a sneaking suspicion that ToV PS3 content will be offered on Xbox Live eventually--even the significant changes (aka the new character).

kai3345

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I have a sneaking suspicion that ToV PS3 content will be offered on Xbox Live eventually--even the significant changes (aka the new character).
Speaking of which, was any real DLC ever released for the 360 version of ToV?

I don't mean the "Pay 5 bucks to level up faster!" bullshit, I mean actual new content.

starsky

kai3345 said:
Speaking of which, was any real DLC ever released for the 360 version of ToV?

I don't mean the "Pay 5 bucks to level up faster!" bullshit, I mean actual new content.

Not as far as I know.

Astery

got my copy of the ps3 version, played for 5 hours in. Is it just me or the BGMs are kind of crappy? They make me fall asleep more than anything.

DY_nasty

Astery said:
got my copy of the ps3 version, played for 5 hours in. Is it just me or the BGMs are kind of crappy? They make me fall asleep more than anything.
Its grew on me. Quoi Woods made me love again.

I swear I suck at combat. I can't jump and attack for shit. What exactly is the difference between semi-auto and manual?

Tamanon

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Its grew on me. Quoi Woods made me love again.

I swear I suck at combat. I can't jump and attack for shit. What exactly is the difference between semi-auto and manual?

semi-auto runs towards the enemy targeted and then attacks. Manual means you have to run over there yourself and attack.

Vamphuntr

FateBreaker said:

How is that remotely possible? It seems a lot of the dialogue is rewritten to include Patty. A lot of camera anges are changed, lots of new recorded dialogues (skits are probably modified to include Patty and Flynn). I don't think it's possible to patch something to modify the whole thing. Vesperia is a long game and if Patty in included in the beginning, well they have to modify the game a lot. Besides if they were really interested about us the beta testers of the 360 release they could have released a director's cut in japan but they didn't. Keep in mind that NBG never patched Eternal Sonata with the ps3 upgrades (I know ES is garbage).

Alidar

Neo Member
FateBreaker said:

I don't recall Namco offering the new PS3 Eternal Sonata content on XBL, so I'm guessing it's unlikely they will here too.

MelloBoy

Neo Member
DY_nasty said:
still, I think I sucked at combat. I could never use the completely free combat system without major problems. Any advice with that? I want to kick up the difficulty.

Judith has a slightly steeper learning curve than most...a bit more technical, but once you're over the curve, she's probably one of the easiest characters to use primarily because a lot of her combos are aerial combos...ie. difficult for enemies to interrupt so it makes combat a lot easier, even on the harder difficulty. Maybe give her a shot

kai3345 said:
So I just
fought Belius

How much of the game do you think I've completed/have left?

You're about 1/3 of the way through, if that

The artes ball is nice...holding L1 opens up 8 more slots to assign to artes and what not :D

DY_nasty

Tamanon said:
semi-auto runs towards the enemy targeted and then attacks. Manual means you have to run over there yourself and attack.
Okay, I'm gradually working myself into playing the game with different characters and on hard this time around.

But does using Semi-auto make me less of a man?

Geneijin

kai3345 said:
So I just
fought Belius

If you really want to know, you can use your achievements as a checkpoint to see your progress.

Datschge

DY_nasty said:
Auto gives you more control. Semi-auto is perfect to get familiar with all the mechanics and everything, and once you are auto will be more fun by allowing finer control rather than just being overwhelming.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
kai3345 said:
So I just
fought Belius

You're approaching the midpoint I think. The game basically has three acts, and you're working through the second right now. Once you get the second story-based achievement (150G) that's when you know you've hit the third act.

Firestorm

DY_nasty said:
Okay, I'm gradually working myself into playing the game with different characters and on hard this time around.

Use what's easier. I could never really get used to Semi-Auto so I started out with Manual.

kai3345 said:
So I just
fought Belius

I'm at the same exact same spot.

I was wondering where I was game length wise too, so thanks for asking. Good to know I have so much more game to go, because I'm really enjoying it. My first Tales. :D

Sagitario

I just watched all the new Mystic Artes introduced in the PS3 version: WOW! Freaking cool! Just disliked Judith's... but Patty's Mystic Arte or should I say Patty's 20 Mystic Artes are awesome!!!!

starsky

I've finished the game! 150+ hours for first playthrough, yeah I'm a completionist :lol.

There's something I need help with for my second play.
The secret mission that you have to shoot arrow to the chest, how do you guys do it? I've looked at the youtube and faqs people made, but couldn't pull it somehow.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
bakemono said:
I've finished the game! 150+ hours for first playthrough, yeah I'm a completionist :lol.

The secret mission that you have to shoot arrow to the chest, how do you guys do it? I've looked at the youtube and faqs people made, but couldn't pull it somehow.

You think 150hrs is bad, some gaffers took 200+ :lol

As for the SM its in the OP:

firestorm said:
Secret Mission 17 (
Yeager
):
"Make
Yeager's heart
explode by using Raven's Rain arte." When
Yeager
reveals the
hermes blastia
in his
heart
during the second half of the battle, guard break him, then have Raven use his Rain arte. [Firestorm: This is the most bullshit SM in the game.]

I don't exactly remember how I did it but make sure you're using Rain and not the altered arte.

Hyunkel6

Farore said:
I just watched all the new Mystic Artes introduced in the PS3 version: WOW! Freaking cool! Just disliked Judith's... but Patty's Mystic Arte or should I say Patty's 20 Mystic Artes are awesome!!!!

Please make them available as DLCs for xbox live, Namco. Please!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hyunkel6 said:
Please make them available as DLCs for xbox live, Namco. Please!

As much as I want it too, this is namco we're talking about.

Netto-kun

The team battle in Colosseum is pretty insane. :lol
In the 4th battle you'll fight the Schwann brigade, in the 5th and last battle you'll be fighting the Hunting Blade guild (Clint, Tison, Nan and a 4th character I won't spoil). And it seems like you are able to enter the EX Dungeon even if you missed out one of the side quests.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

FSLink

Banned
bakemono said:

Once he has his blastia showing, wait until he guards, and then break his guard with Destruction Field spamming in Overlimit 1. Don't activate Overlimit near him though, otherwise he flies away. XD Pause in between each Destruction Field to watch for the guard break, and once it does, switch to Raven, wait for Yeager to chase one of your party members and he'll stagger. Spam Rain and you should get it.
I took about 110 hours for first playthrough on Hard, and did the majority of sidequests and scanned all monsters I saw (forgot to get the tutorial at the beginning though, d'oh.) Didn't get Yuri's True Knight title or the cooking titles, but got most of the Fatal Strike titles playing normally. So there's not too much left for me to do for 2nd playthrough. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to bump this thread, but I've been thinking about getting this game and I can't decide on which version to get. I understand the PS3 version has a lot of additions and possible improvements but that it runs in a lower resolution and has some rare framerate problems.

I can get the 360 version for like $20 whereas the PS3 version is still new and will cost me closer to $60. Has anyone spent time with both versions? Is the extra content and the changes worth the additional $40 that the game would cost me to get on PS3?

Geneijin

Zefah said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I've been thinking about getting this game and I can't decide on which version to get. I understand the PS3 version has a lot of additions and possible improvements but that it runs in a lower resolution and has some rare framerate problems.

I can get the 360 version for like $20 whereas the PS3 version is still new and will cost me closer to $60. Has anyone spent time with both versions? Is the extra content and the changes worth the additional $40 that the game would cost me to get on PS3?

Vesperia 360 is already a solid game. If you can get it for $20-30, why not? If the extra content means that much to you, then wait if you must (I might double dip though). As for the image-related problems, I'll wait for impressions if that concerns you greatly. I've managed to play through Abyss so I doubt a lower res and rare framerate problems will trouble me.

I bought Vesperia knowing about the PS3 announcement and didn't let the news of that bother me but I wanted the content though. I say wait for the PS3 one if the pricing scheme was going to be similar to Persona 3 and FES ($50 to $30 respectively) but it's highly unlikely; and if Eternal Sonata is indicative of PS3 Vesperia's $60 price tag, then just buy the 360 version unless you don't mind waiting for a possible PS3 release here. If you wait, I say wait if the content means that much to you. Otherwise, there's no need to miss out on the 360 version.

Mr YuYu

I'm about to fight
Alexei

Does anyone have an idea how many hours i still need to play untill i reach the end.

I don't do sidemissions. Just the storyline.

Thx in advance!

Peff

Part 3 is mostly sidequests, so about five/six hours more or less? The last dungeon is pretty big but you can skip half of it if you're not going for the Fell Weapons.

And about which version to get, the technical problems aren't really much of an issue, they're hardly noticeable if at all. That being said, and even though there is new juicy content, I personally think it's better to have it now and much cheaper. The game is already amazing and complete in 360, but if you can wait you'll get some more stuff to do.

Firestorm

Xbox 360 version is also the only one in English so unless you know Japanese I'd go with that one.
Edit: Looking a your post history, you know Japanese and I think live in Japan. I'd probably grab it on PS3 myself due to the extra content. Ask around about technical issues. Didn't know it had any.

imtehman

Banned
so i'm at the last dungeon. music is great, voice acting is wonderful and i'm not going to lie, the opening song is pretty awesome.

I thought the plot story was pretty lackluster, but the characters were, for the most part, memorable and enjoyable. I'm really not looking forward to beating the game because i don't want it to end.

Pancakes

imtehman said:
so i'm at the last dungeon. music is great, voice acting is wonderful and i'm not going to lie, the opening song is pretty awesome.

I thought the plot story was pretty lackluster, but the characters were, for the most part, memorable and enjoyable. I'm really not looking forward to beating the game because i don't want it to end.

Neither did I :_:.

DY_nasty

Tailzo said:
Although I really like Vesperia so far, I am not sure I would double dip.
How far in are you?

I was thinking it was merely an above avg jrpg for the first couple of hours, then somewhere down the line it turned into something amazing.

Top Bottom