• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

NIN90 said:
Fuck that piece of shit Gattuso. Seriously.
And those flowers do jack-shit.
Not true, I for one would end up paralyzing myself trying to use the flowers so they do something all right.
I'm aware at how huge of a screw up paralyzing yourself instead of the Wolf is.

Aspiring

Gattuso was not hard at all. Also i got the secret mission first try. I think you just had to level up a bit first. In the demo it was impossible. I just enjoy grinding. For example i just
started the guild with Karol
and i am like level 42 or something. Its just the best game. So good that i just ordered Eternal Sonata as it looks pretty similar.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Aspiring said:
So good that i just ordered Eternal Sonata as it looks pretty similar.
Yeah, that game has none of the charm so don't let it get in the way of your Vesperia.

Aspiring said:
Gattuso was not hard at all. Also i got the secret mission first try. I think you just had to level up a bit first. In the demo it was impossible. I just enjoy grinding. For example i just
started the guild with Karol
and i am like level 42 or something. Its just the best game. So good that i just ordered Eternal Sonata as it looks pretty similar.

Related phenomena? YOU DECIDE, GENTLE VIEWER.

Seriously, every boss from then on is childs play compared, level appropriate.

rykomatsu

SatelliteOfLove said:
Related phenomena? YOU DECIDE, GENTLE VIEWER.

Seriously, every boss from then on is childs play compared, level appropriate.

uh....I guess you haven't had
Holy Rain spammed on you by Alexei
after the first half of the game or so...wiped my party out 4 or 5 attempts in a row within a minute of starting the fight...

Aspiring

Lyphen said:
Yeah, that game has none of the charm so don't let it get in the way of your Vesperia.

Oh really? Crap. Hope i like it than lol. And nah it wont stop me rom playing Vesperia but i figured because im loving this so much it looked similar. Oh well, time will tell. Fingers crossed.

I just love this game so much. Can literally just battle for hours.

Neki

slopeslider said:
Wow you guys are just bad at the game. You know if you're getting killed on bosses just move the diff. to easy for that battle.

Hey, way too mean, Gattuso was actually kinda tough because he was doing so much damage. The only other boss I had trouble with besides him was
the boss you had to fight kinda with Karol, omg, Karol sucks
and
Duke 3rd form, still need to beat him.

Phonomezer said:
I have had this game for 1.5 years and have only started playing it recently - 20 hours in now,
Judith
just earned the title of
"Trophy Wife"
... lol.

This game in incredible, I wish I didn't put it off for so long. So far I'm enjoying this just as much as I did Lost Odyssey - a good thing!

The characters are all awesome, the story is interesting (took a while to get to that point though) and the game is pretty funny - love the skits!

It's also fucking beautiful to look at.

Just a few questions

- Which weapons should I hang on to? So far I haven't sold any of them in case I can synthesize some awesome weapon with something shitty like the Gladius in the future.

- Is there a point to changing a characters title?

- Can you "unequip" skills? The Rise Attack (increase damage by consuming TP) is dreadful and I can't seem to take it off Yuri or Estelle

I'd keep all weapons, you're free to sell all your armor though

No, they don't affect anything, but some titles will change your appearance

Yes you can, unless it's equipped to your weapon, which may be your problem.

Phonomezer said:
I have had this game for 1.5 years and have only started playing it recently - 20 hours in now,
Judith
just earned the title of
"Trophy Wife"
... lol.

This game in incredible, I wish I didn't put it off for so long. So far I'm enjoying this just as much as I did Lost Odyssey - a good thing!

The characters are all awesome, the story is interesting (took a while to get to that point though) and the game is pretty funny - love the skits!

It's also fucking beautiful to look at.

Just a few questions

- Which weapons should I hang on to? So far I haven't sold any of them in case I can synthesize some awesome weapon with something shitty like the Gladius in the future.

- Is there a point to changing a characters title?

- Can you "unequip" skills? The Rise Attack (increase damage by consuming TP) is dreadful and I can't seem to take it off Yuri or Estelle
Un equip skill by I think pressing A on it again, you should see your SP go up a little bit and the name change colors.
Keep ALL WEAPONS. ALL. They're used for crafting, and you can't get one of carol's best unless you still have his starter to base it from near the end of the game. Stuff like that. You dont get nearly enough money from selling to actually use have a reason to sell them other than out of habit. Changing titles affects appearances for some. after you have a few go through and equip them all to see if they are cosmetic or not. Titles dont affect game play or leveling like in Symphonia.

Aspiring

I just have a question. I just got through
the desert and beat the boss and rescued the parents of those kids that asked you for help. I just returned to Mantaic.
I am curious, i am 32 hours in, how close am i to finishing the game? Also i am like level 58. Is that an OK level for where i am at?

Seda

Was I silly to hope for a PS3 localization bump? :(

anyways, you're about halfway through the second act, out of 3, so I'd say 50% ballpark, maybe more if you don't plan on doing some of the longer optional stuff at the end.

Your level is fine.

Aspiring

Seda said:
Was I silly to hope for a PS3 localization bump? :(

anyways, you're about halfway through the second act, out of 3, so I'd say 50% ballpark, maybe more if you don't plan on doing some of the longer optional stuff at the end.

Your level is fine.

Sorry : (

Halfway? Hot damn! this game is amazing. Just keeps going and keeps getting better!

Seda

Aspiring said:
Sorry : (

Halfway? Hot damn! this game is amazing. Just keeps going and keeps getting better!

I personally think that the third act seems kind of tacked on an not as strong as the first two, but yeah, Tales games can get packed!

...still waiting on Graces info for the US...maybe I'll grab Abyss and a 3DS to tide me over when that comes out..

Thoraxes

I've finally gotten a 360 available to me permanently, so the first game I bought for it is ToV. I must say, the game looks quite gorgeous, and I love all the characters, especially Estelleise.

I just got to the town of
Torim, the port town right after the boat sank when I fought Zagi the second time
. Between this, the ToA port for the 3DS, and Graces F coming to my PS3, I finally have some JRPGs to play, and i'm very happy about this. I'm enjoying the game greatly so far, and i'm beyond thrilled to finally be getting to play it.

It's a ton of fun, and I can't wait to keep playing more! :D

Aspiring

O I was just reading the OP and I saw that one of the secret missions requires a sub mission to it. Now
I have just defeated belius and Judith left my party. I have yet to trigger the mothers momento scene. So after reading some guides they seem to say that I can still return there and trigger it before I get to Myorzo.
is this correct or am I stuffed?

Seda

Edit: I think you are correct, and I think you can still get it before that point because (PLOT SPOILER)
Estelle leaves your party there.

Aspiring

Phew I was ready to scream lol. So it must be triggered at night. Must I wait
until I get Judith back
or it doesn't matter?

matmanx1

Man I have awesome memories of my ToV play through. It was my first real introduction to Tales as a series (I think I may have played an hour of Symphonia at someone's house previously) and I absolutely loved it. It's made me want to go back and look up other Tales games (I actually just started Symphonia 1 on my wife's Wii this week - 4 hours in and am almost through with Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology on the PSP!) and get involved with the series as a fan.

Graces: F will be a huge win for us as fans of the series but I'm not content to wait that long. I just imported a copy of Tales of Eternia for the PSP from Europe and have already pre-ordered the Tales of Xillia: X Edition system from Japan for September. From a gameplay perspective I enjoy this series moreso than just about any other JRPG out there and am always happy to see others enjoying what is one of the best (if not the best) JRPG on the 360 in ToV.

I'm pretty close to the end and really enjoyed my first Tales experiance.

The one thing I don't care for is the lack of control over the battles. You can program team members somewhat, but they still do whatever they want. I've found that the best strategy is to control Estelle and control the healing yourself while running from stray enemies because the cpu is too stupid to do so. I miss good old turned based.

But with that said, love the story, characters and some of the best art in an RPG ever. A friend of mine really wants me to try out Symphonia and gave me uis Cube version, so I guess that one is next. I wonder how it holds up to Vesparia.

Firestorm

Dark Octave said:

The one thing I don't care for is the lack of control over the battles. You can program team members somewhat, but they still do whatever they want. I've found that the best strategy is to control Estelle and control the healing yourself while running from stray enemies because the cpu is too stupid to do so. I miss good old turned based.

But with that said, love the story, characters and some of the best art in an RPG ever. A friend of mine really wants me to try out Symphonia and gave me uis Cube version, so I guess that one is next. I wonder how it holds up to Vesparia.
Use whoever you want and just map Estelle's strongest group healing spell you have to your right stick. That's what I do in every Tales game.

Strange coincidence this thread was bumped today, since my sister just started playing ToV today also. Anyway, just wanted to say I loved this game a lot when I played it!

Dark Octave said:

Related to what the person said above me (on the previous page), but you can command your party members to use specific artes whenever you want just by going to the menu; that's what I did whenever I used Estelle. You don't even have to use the right control stick. Also, Karol is great healer (better than Estelle) and Raven is decent... so don't feel like you have to rely on Estelle.

Oh, and I'm not sure how well Symphonia holds up. I think Symphonia is so well loved because it was pretty new and impressive at the time... I don't think it'll be bad if you play it now, but I do think Vesperia tops it in every way.

Mikhal

Just to add on to what was already mentioned about controlling your party. You can also disable skills you don't want the CPU to use during battles in the menus.

Thanks for the tips guys. I just beat it a few hours ago. I laughed the first time I saw "10 in game levels" for sale up on Live Marketplace, but I've never been so tempted to buy something that ridiculous as when I was fighting the final boss. Let me just say he's pretty cheap. Grandia III and Dragon Quest VIII have him beat in cheapness, but he's up there with them. But I kept a cool head and beat him without the need to make a silly purchase.

I usually do like you guys suggested and control Estelle with mass healing mapped to the right stick, but this time I let them auto fight "full out" (or whatever it's called) while I played the role of head coach and chose spells and items when the need came. Lv 61 Yuri, Estelle, Rita and Karol. Big bang was cheap but I maintained. In the end Rita got the last hit after everyone died (with no way to revive them at all).

Another problem that popped up with the fighting system was that everyone kept using the revive items when Estelle had a revive spell. I wanted to save the items for last but everyone kept using them up, leaving me assed out near the end of the fight when TP items are all used up and Estelle is getting targeted hard. If I set them to not use items, then they won't use anything and I needed them to use status cures and TP replenishers. The "LB" prompt to cancel item use did nothing while in auto mode.

Also, I had no idea Karol was a better healer than Estelle. I thought all he had was First Aid Smash, which is ok but not great. Mind blown if true.

And for anyone wondering, this game is looooooooong. 62 or 63 hours and I did minimal side quests. Great game though. Worth every minute. I'm officially a Tales fan.

Dark Octave said:
Thanks for the tips guys. I just beat it a few hours ago. I laughed the first time I saw "10 in game levels" for sale up on Live Marketplace, but I've never been so tempted to buy something that ridiculous as when I was fighting the final boss. Let me just say he's pretty cheap. Grandia III and Dragon Quest VIII have him beat in cheapness, but he's up there with them. But I kept a cool head and beat him without the need to make a silly purchase.

I usually do like you guys suggested and control Estelle with mass healing mapped to the right stick, but this time I let them auto fight "full out" (or whatever it's called) while I played the role of head coach and chose spells and items when the need came. Lv 61 Yuri, Estelle, Rita and Karol. Big bang was cheap but I maintained. In the end Rita got the last hit after everyone died (with no way to revive them at all).

Another problem that popped up with the fighting system was that everyone kept using the revive items when Estelle had a revive spell. I wanted to save the items for last but everyone kept using them up, leaving me assed out near the end of the fight when TP items are all used up and Estelle is getting targeted hard. If I set them to not use items, then they won't use anything and I needed them to use status cures and TP replenishers. The "LB" prompt to cancel item use did nothing while in auto mode.

Also, I had no idea Karol was a better healer than Estelle. I thought all he had was First Aid Smash, which is ok but not great. Mind blown if true.

And for anyone wondering, this game is looooooooong. 62 or 63 hours and I did minimal side quests. Great game though. Worth every minute. I'm officially a Tales fan.
True men play in manual mode, you can cancel Items then
Karol is a great healer since he's INSTANT
He doesnt need to charge for 10 sec to heal someone about to die like estelle
He can cure ailments jsut as fast
Also you prob. skimped on leveling your characters

Mikhal

slopeslider said:
True men play in manual mode, you can cancel Items then.
Agreed. Manual mode or bust! I hate how most Tales games make you play for a bit or acquire an item before you can get manual mode. Can't they leave it as an option from the beginning?!

Dark Octave said:
Did you end up fighting
Duke's hidden 3rd form
? I never realized it was supposed to be hidden in my first playthrough and had a heck of a time with that one.

Wait what?

You can cancel items in semi-auto mode too.

Did you check the strategy menu? You can set the AI not to use any items. You can also turn off what arte the AI uses by going to the arte menu and pressing... some button to turn them off [it says right there on the screen itself.] I avoided the problem of Estelle that so many people seem to have. That and setting her to use artes only--she has a habit of counter attacking when she's on any other mode.

Thoraxes

Oh man, I just picked up the game last weekend (after finally getting a 360 and tired of waiting for the PS3 version that will probably never happen) and I got to the mid-late game part where
Yuri gets stabbed off Zaude
!

I was genuinely pissed off when that happened. Like I stood up, and yelled "You fucking bitch!" Needless to say, i'm engrossed in the game now, and the story keeps ramping up just great. Really enjoying it. Can't wait to see where else this game brings me!

This is my 6th Tales experience, and I must say, an HD Tales game definitely looks pretty, that's for sure.

Anony

need help, i havent played vesperia in a year and a half probably and i'm totally lost

so i'm on a boat, something about that dragon knight girl betraying brave vesperia
and now, i need to get back to dahngrest from some port name that starts with Y and really long that i cannot locate on the map

basically, i need to know where i am so i can youtube the previous boss battle and cut scene to know where i am in the game so i can read the walkthrough

Window

This game is so damn expensive to get. I've never played a tales game before but was thinking of getting this one. Can anyone describe the 'feel' of this game in terms of gameplay in comparison to other traditional rpgs? And would you say its worth it to get this particular game instead of other rpgs available on the 360?

mclem

Window said:
This game is so damn expensive to get. I've never played a tales game before but was thinking of getting this one. Can anyone describe the 'feel' of this game in terms of gameplay in comparison to other traditional rpgs? And would you say its worth it to get this particular game instead of other rpgs available on the 360?

It's on Games on Demand, and given how much it goes for second-hand, that's possibly the cheapest option; they didn't push the price up to ludicrous levels.

Firestorm

Window said:
If you like the traditional jRPG setting and structure (towns -> fields -> towns -> dungeons etc), it's a great game with a very fun battle system. It's only $29.99 on Games on Demand and yes it's my favourite jRPG on the platform. Hell, my favourite jRPG this generation.

Neki

one day I was thinking about buying it online for like 50 dollars because I couldn't find it anywhere in store, and then the next day it came out on Games on Demand for only 30 dollars. greatest day of my life. ;)

I have a ladyfriend now that plays video games (Handheld RPG's and Puzzle Games mostly). I'm interested in seeing if she will give Tales of Vesperia a try.

I played through it about two years ago by myself and I enjoyed it but don't remember all that much about it. Is there a best way to get her invested and how does the multiplayer work, i.e should I let her control the main character, should I alter the difficulty level, etc.

Seda

I have a ladyfriend now that plays video games (Handheld RPG's and Puzzle Games mostly). I'm interested in seeing if she will give Tales of Vesperia a try.

I played through it about two years ago by myself and I enjoyed it but don't remember all that much about it. Is there a best way to get her invested and how does the multiplayer work, i.e should I let her control the main character, should I alter the difficulty level, etc.

You can alter difficulty whenever right? So if it's too hard turn it down.

Anybody who's not first player just participates in battles, so if she only likes the battle system, let her be 2P and whatever character she might like. Otherwise you could just help in battle if she likes playing through the game as 1P.

It's a long game though, so you'd both have to have the time to devote to it.

Trading a GAFer for this right now. I really need a good JRPG because I really freaking missed playing them this generation.

Reviews seems to be glowing for this game. Is this a correct conclusion? I also realize I probably should pick up a portable to get my JRPG fix I have been missing. But I just can't justify buying another console with its own time sink. :(

Sagitario

Trading a GAFer for this right now. I really need a good JRPG because I really freaking missed playing them this generation.

Reviews seems to be glowing for this game. Is this a correct conclusion? I also realize I probably should pick up a portable to get my JRPG fix I have been missing. But I just can't justify buying another console with its own time sink. :(

YES!
It's really good and enjoyable RPG!

ToV is fantastic.

Also since this thread is bumped I am going to repost this:

fBTDR.jpg

200-something hours.

Top Bottom