• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

careful

shintoki said:
Hits my Yuri for 200-300 damage min.

Also, how the fuck do I get AI to just attack? As much as I love Rita, I WANT HER TO USE SPELLS NOT MELEE
You can map the action directly to the right stick as others have mentioned. Or if you don't wanna deal with that type of micro management, you can disable all strike/magic artes you don't want her to use in the Artes menu and then change her strategy to to Magic artes only. I remember that working for me pretty well.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've been doing that, and it's very annoying having to change up constantly. I also really detest how commands are the same button as OverDrive.

Anyways, Got into the first major dungeon on the 2nd continent. Good chance of this ending up my favorite title.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there a "broken" strategy in this game? In terms of using a certain character or tactic and spamming it for super win?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Y2Kev said:
Is there a "broken" strategy in this game? In terms of using a certain character or tactic and spamming it for super win?

I think one of Rita's spells can be spammed for massive Grade and combo points, but that sucks a lot of mana. I can't think of anything that can be abused to be an insta-win in any encounter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ZealousD said:
I think one of Rita's spells can be spammed for massive Grade and combo points, but that sucks a lot of mana. I can't think of anything that can be abused to be an insta-win in any encounter.

Yeah, it's been awhile so I can't remember the names of the spells, but I primarily played as Rita later in the game and dealt massive damage from afar while my teammates focused on melee and the princess kept our HP up. Rita can do some serious area damage with her advanced spells, she was my offensive MVP for sure.

Then again, if it's too hard for you, you can always switch to Easy.

MechaX

Y2Kev said:

There are three really broken strategies that I know about off hand.

Get the gloves for Yuri that gives him Ultimate Tension and the other lower tiers (basically, he automatically goes into Overlimit level 1 after a 25 hit combo, and can keep going up to overlimit 3 after a 40-50 hit combo or something, which is very easy after getting to the overlimit 1 state). You can pretty much stun-lock and solo almost any enemy in the game until they decide to randomly overlimit themselves. Yuri has a lot of good combos as it is even without this, but Shining Fang is a good way to stun-lock enemies.

Rita with an accessory that decreases TP requirements for artes is pretty keep. Tidal Wave causes insane damage and stuns the entire field (and is a very good tactic for Grade Farming later on). Rita's Violent Pain can stunlock an enemy almost indefinitely.

Estelle can flat out become invincible for an entire battle's duration by having her Eternal Support skill (allows buffs to last for the entire duration of the battle) and casting Force Field (at least I think that was the skill's name) on herself.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thank you. Exploiting RPGs is one of my favorite things to try. Usually tri-ace games are fukbroken from the beginning, but I've never broken a tales game. Probably because I don't really play many.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Want to break the game? Repede with Overdrive Lady. It's already takes a pot smoking dog, and puts a Judith doll on top to make him even more awesome. >_<

Anyways, Another week and one third more of the game is done. Got the last 3rd to go. 4 of the Gigantos down, and going start hunting the Fel Arms soon.

Seda

I'm replaying this game at the moment. I'm currently at Myorzia (sp?).

Part I and II of this game are great (theres one scene at the end of Part I that is a bit of a mess, though...) I almost think, with a few adjustments of course, the game should have ended after part II.

Also, Giganto Monsters have TONS of health on Unknown mode. Fighting them is a blast.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Seda said:
Part I and II of this game are great (theres one scene at the end of Part I that is a bit of a mess, though...) I almost think, with a few adjustments of course, the game should have ended after part II.
I think all of Team Symphonia's games are twice as long as they should be.

As mentioned, the Rita abuse is the way to go. So OP, and so useful in farming GRADE so you can be super OP in new game plus. Just be sure to mute the voices...hearing "Tidal Wave" hundreds of times in a row in her voice is going to get annoying.

Seda

TSA said:
As mentioned, the Rita abuse is the way to go. So OP, and so useful in farming GRADE so you can be super OP in new game plus. Just be sure to mute the voices...hearing "Tidal Wave" hundreds of times in a row in her voice is going to get annoying.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, TIDAL WAVE!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Y2Kev said:
Thank you. Exploiting RPGs is one of my favorite things to try. Usually tri-ace games are fukbroken from the beginning, but I've never broken a tales game. Probably because I don't really play many.

It's not Tri-Ace, but I remember how easy Rogue Galaxy was to break.

Groups of enemies? Use Missile Squall.

Doing a boss? Illusion Sword.

Bam. Game broken. I can't even remember the names of the characters in the game, but I remember the names of those two spells.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why is Judy so bloody bad? I'm doing the Col with them. Yuri was breeze, Raven was a breeze, Rita was a breeze.

Judy? SO GODDAMN FUCKING SLOW. I think I got chained combo for 2 minutes because it takes all day for her to do any sort of attack, dodge, etc.

trejo

shintoki said:
Why is Judy so bloody bad? I'm doing the Col with them. Yuri was breeze, Raven was a breeze, Rita was a breeze.

Judy? SO GODDAMN FUCKING SLOW. I think I got chained combo for 2 minutes because it takes all day for her to do any sort of attack, dodge, etc.
You're probably doing it wrong. Judith's a beast but she does play very differently from the rest as she is strictly an aerial character. Basically, if you're spending more than a couple of seconds on the ground instead of in the air wrecking shit up you're not utilizing her to her full potential.

MechaX

shintoki said:

You're doing it wrong.

But seriously, Judy can be just as good as the rest of the cast, but the main problem that it takes some serious practice to use her correctly and she needs more skills attached than any other character (Jump Cancels, aerial combos, etc, etc). And when fighting large groups, Moonbeam can crowd control extremely effectively alone. Or you could just abuse her Luna Crush -> Jump Cancel -> Luna Talon infinite.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pity I got pissed and decided to end the game earlier than expect :p

Anyways, owned it since 360 launch and finally completed it. For the most part, I loved it. Much better story wise than Symphonia, and I'd say better than Abyss too. The biggest fault is the game really started off like shit for the combat system. It was just too slow and they literally made you buy weapons and earn skills just to use items on teammates. So I had to rely on the AI... FUCK THAT SHIT.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Derp, wish I had known getting all the Fel Arms would make the final boss super hard. Even with an All-Divide I went through all my Treats and Life Bottles trying to beat him. :( Guess it's time to level up.

Acosta

Omg I was checking a shitty toy section in a big commercial and there was a single unit of Vesperia. It was 60 euros but seeing how fucking expensive is, I couldn't resist.

CAW

I really need to get back into this game, but I've been out so long I forget what's going on in the game when I load it up.

I think I had just defeated some ship. IIRC, those two sexy twin chicks came in and helped me at the final boss fight inside the ship (on the bridge of the ship I do believe). The boat was destroyed and I ended up back at a harbour town. I think the city got cut in half too. I'm saved up in an Inn. I remember meeting some gangsters of the city too, but I don't know if that was before the ship battle or after. Maybe I should hit up wikipedia and follow the plot outline until I get caught up.

I guess if I just jump back into it it should all come back to me.

Ledsen

Acosta said:
Omg I was checking a shitty toy section in a big commercial and there was a single unit of Vesperia. It was 60 euros but seeing how fucking expensive is, I couldn't resist.

And now it's 30 euros on Xbox Live Games on Demand! Is it worth it, GAF?

I think it's pretty sweet that it's on Games on Demand.

It's getting hard to find at stores and I think it's still pretty expensive at Gamestop even for a pre-owned.

So it's good that more people can play it now.

Firestorm

CAW said:
I really need to get back into this game, but I've been out so long I forget what's going on in the game when I load it up.

I think I had just defeated some ship. IIRC, those two sexy twin chicks came in and helped me at the final boss fight inside the ship (on the bridge of the ship I do believe). The boat was destroyed and I ended up back at a harbour town. I think the city got cut in half too. I'm saved up in an Inn. I remember meeting some gangsters of the city too, but I don't know if that was before the ship battle or after. Maybe I should hit up wikipedia and follow the plot outline until I get caught up.

I guess if I just jump back into it it should all come back to me.
There's an in-game journal item that'll get you up to speed.

Alucrid

Banned
MechaX said:
You're doing it wrong.

But seriously, Judy can be just as good as the rest of the cast, but the main problem that it takes some serious practice to use her correctly and she needs more skills attached than any other character (Jump Cancels, aerial combos, etc, etc). And when fighting large groups, Moonbeam can crowd control extremely effectively alone. Or you could just abuse her Luna Crush -> Jump Cancel -> Luna Talon infinite.

Holy fuck. I might start playing this again just to do that.

george_us

Alucrid said:
Holy fuck. I might start playing this again just to do that.
Holy shit yes.

That was some straight up Marvel vs Capcom 3 shit. I feel like I've been playing this game wrong the entire time.

MechaX

Ledsen said:
And now it's 30 euros on Xbox Live Games on Demand! Is it worth it, GAF?

If you want to play arguably the best (or at least definitely up there) console JRPG this generation (and I say that because the game is actually pretty good, not as a knock to the... questionable console JRPG quality this generation), go for it. PS3 pretty much has 0% chance being released outside of Japan and the 360 version is actually pretty complete and meaty on its own.

vixlar

Wow, I love how sometimes MS give us good and rare games at Games of Demand. It could seem a little expensive, but this game is great.

Rpgmonkey

Square Triangle said:
I have never played a Tales game, played the demo thought it was gorgeous but the combat was really fast and confused the fuck out of me.

Game's pretty good at pacing the combat out.

The demo is like right at one of the points where it takes it up a notch, oddly enough. Not a good first taste for people new to Tales.

MoogPaul

Square Triangle said:
I have never played a Tales game, played the demo thought it was gorgeous but the combat was really fast and confused the fuck out of me.

Vesperia was my first Tales of game and I usually hate ARPGs. By the end of the game, I was juggling, doing sick combos and ending fights with massive attacks.

The game teaches you well and I found to be real fun. Though I am looking more forward to Graces, tbh.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Is this one about about a mercenary with a dark past/plucky young adventurer who accompanies a mysterious young woman with a secret power who's set on a pilgrimage to save the world from a dormant planetary force being awakened by a power-mad bishounen?

Or is the plot more akin to something Dickens would write?

Cataferal said:
Is this one about about a mercenary with a dark past/plucky young adventurer who accompanies a mysterious young woman with a secret power who's set on a pilgrimage to save the world from a dormant planetary force being awakened by a power-mad bishounen?

Yes, yes, and not really
respectively.

careful

Cataferal said:

lol close enough

Neki

I just got this game because of it being available on GOD, and so far, it's awesome. Only thing I'm really missing right now is a unison attack bar (from ToS/ToS2) and mystic artes (which is I assume I get later in the game, only 3 hours in), but otherwise, great time! I still don't get cooking (do I get new recipes by just cooking?), and should I be buying new equipment at every vendor? I think synthesizing gets me better skilled weapons.

Ultimoo said:
I just got this game because of it being available on GOD, and so far, it's awesome. Only thing I'm really missing right now is a unison attack bar (from ToS/ToS2) and mystic artes (which is I assume I get later in the game, only 3 hours in), but otherwise, great time! I still don't get cooking (do I get new recipes by just cooking?), and should I be buying new equipment at every vendor? I think synthesizing gets me better skilled weapons.
Yeah, you just keep cooking to get new recipes. You have to level up certain recipes with certain characters and then a new recipe unlocks. Experiment! Or use an FAQ.

Buy all the new equipment you can afford. It'll always come in handy for crafting later.

Neki

Encounter links are super fun though, in ToS2, the most monsters I ever got on screen was like 5-6, fighting 8+ is awesome. Is playing on semi-auto better than manual, I think the only difference is semi-auto makes you run at your target in a straight path to it. Feels weird though still, in ToS2 I could always run away after a combo but in ToV, it never seems to work (maybe something to do with agi?).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Semi auto will always move you in range for an attack automatically and also remaps jump to X+Jump. When using semi-auto, hold L to free run if you want to get out after a combo.

Neki

Lyphen said:
Semi auto will always move you in range for an attack automatically and also remaps jump to X+Jump. When using semi-auto, hold L to free run if you want to get out after a combo.
Yeah, I know that, it was just in ToS2 the recovery after completing a combo was much faster, so it was really easy to do hit and run, it's a little harder now. I'm at the desert part right now, and it's been pretty good. My only problem is I wanted to play Rita, but Yuri as a computer is so inefficient when dealing damage, and the CPU Rita somehow always does a better job of avoiding monsters, I get interrupted constantly, lol.

Aspiring

Oh fuck yes! This arrived in the mail today. Have yet to start playing but i cant wait. I have wanted this since release yet only just got it. Should be awesome.

Quick question. Are the free DLC packs on xbox live needed? I know they are a one time download, i just dont want to waste them.

mclem

Aspiring said:
Quick question. Are the free DLC packs on xbox live needed? I know they are a one time download, i just dont want to waste them.

They're just little booster packs of items you can acquire through normal play; I don't *think* they grant anything that isn't available through just playing well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
No, they aren't necessary at all. They're just items you can buy from vendors, or skills you accrue through the first few weapon upgrades. Nothing sold isn't also available in game.

I have had this game for 1.5 years and have only started playing it recently - 20 hours in now,
Judith
just earned the title of
"Trophy Wife"
... lol.

This game in incredible, I wish I didn't put it off for so long. So far I'm enjoying this just as much as I did Lost Odyssey - a good thing!

The characters are all awesome, the story is interesting (took a while to get to that point though) and the game is pretty funny - love the skits!

It's also fucking beautiful to look at.

Just a few questions

- Which weapons should I hang on to? So far I haven't sold any of them in case I can synthesize some awesome weapon with something shitty like the Gladius in the future.

- Is there a point to changing a characters title?

- Can you "unequip" skills? The Rise Attack (increase damage by consuming TP) is dreadful and I can't seem to take it off Yuri or Estelle

Top Bottom