• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

MechaX

Yikes. I remember that the online going rates were an issue last year, but I'm surprised it's still going for $40 - 250 online. Additionally, Tales of the Abyss is going from anywhere from $60 to $200 on Ebay/Amazon. Good luck to you online buyers out there. I personally think it's worth the $40-60, but good luck if it starts getting to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 levels of price hiking.

Foxix Von

Well crap. I've had this game for ages sitting on my shelf and I never opened it. I keep putting it off, however.... I'm not so sure if I want to even open it now :lol

I played about 20 hours of this back when it came out, and while I really liked it, for some reason I stopped playing.

I returned to it the other day, like 2-ish years later... and I'm not sure if I should continue on or start over. I loaded my save and I figured out the gameplay and what my next objective is, but I don't really remember much about the story or what's happened.

I may start over.

oh, and I don't know if things changed in the past week or two, but it's new on amazon for $30 and easily available on ebay.. for one of the best JRPGs out there, and most likely the best JRPG this whole gen, it's a fair price..

Firestorm

EB Games in Canada is slowly restocking this. Mostly only copies in Ontario right now but shipments should make their way across the country. $19.99.

Firestorm said:
EB Games in Canada is slowly restocking this. Mostly only copies in Ontario right now but shipments should make their way across the country. $19.99.
EVERY JRPG fan must purchase ToV at this price.
Go now! You will not regret it!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Firestorm said:
Buy it now people!

FSLink

Banned
Is there a list of all the PS3 extras anywhere?
I know of the new characters, titles/costumes, artes, skills, etc.
But is there a specific list of all the newly added artes and stuff? Like there was for Symphonia PS2 on GameFAQs?

Patryn

FSLink said:
Is there a list of all the PS3 extras anywhere?
I know of the new characters, titles/costumes, artes, skills, etc.
But is there a specific list of all the newly added artes and stuff? Like there was for Symphonia PS2 on GameFAQs?

I'm also fairly certain they went from partially voiced to fully voiced.

Peff

Here they have detailed information about some of the extra content like Flynn, the titles, weapons and other stuff spread around the articles.

ZZMitch

Just picked this up for 360... it is my first JRPG. I finally got it too, I guess it is pretty rare!

It is really fun so far (only played about an hour), though I am having some trouble on normal so I may go down to easy (am about to attempt to beat Zagi for the 4th time :lol ).

Before I lower the difficulty I would like to know,

Will I miss out on anything (story, items, achievements etc) by playing on easy instead of normal?

ZZMitch

Seda said:
IIRC.....no.

But there are a lot of other things (items, achievements, titles, side quests) you WILL miss if you don't use a guide.

Well I intend to play through this more then once, so I don't think i will use a guide the first time...

Oli

kai3345 said:
I'm really regretting selling this now that its become rare

It's rare? I didn't even realize. I picked it up new at a K mart last year for like 30 bucks or something.

Jeels

kai3345 said:

You feel bad? I have a copy of the Limited Edition, but my niece sat on it and broke my disc. :lol This is why new localization is a must.

conman

kai3345 said:
Not so much "rare" as "out of print" and "highly desirable." But it's easy to find online if you're willing to pay.

RetroMG

I know this is out there, but I thought I would ask. Two separate people on Gamefaqs (I know, lol Gamefaqs) have said that the Hong Kong edition of ToV PS3 has an English text option. They're probably spinning stories, but on the off chance, I thought I'd see if anyone else had heard this.

Not sure, but the Chinese edition of Final Fantasy XIII had an option for Japanese audio with English subtitles, so I mean it's possible. Some "Asian" region versions of games include an English text option.

According to Play-Asia reviews for the version in question:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-3hjt.html

"Tales of Vesperia for PS3 is the perfect version! Except it only has Japanese version."

So I'm guessing no. Plus Play-Asia would put in parenthesis that it is in English in the title, so it would have said, "Tales of Vesperia (English Language Version)".

careful

Firestorm said:
At this point if you saved like 50 cents a day since Vesperia PS3 was announced you'd have enough for a 360 + game.
I finally gave up hope on the PS3 version and got a 360 on boxing day (mostly) for this game. :lol
They were all out of stock here so I'm still waiting for the damn game to arrive all the way from Calgary. Should be any day now. :D

careful

Yeah, I caved in since I've been hearing nothing but good things about this game.
Seems like it went a bit under the radar being one of the better console JRPG's this gen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ToV PS3 still runs $75-$85 almost anywhere I've seen. This game will never drop in price :( Is it worth just biting the bullet and getting it? I just recently received Tales of Graces F and figured I might as well get this since I'm getting Tales of Xillia whenever that comes out.

DR2K

Banned
Kagari said:
ToV PS3 still runs $75-$85 almost anywhere I've seen. This game will never drop in price :( Is it worth just biting the bullet and getting it? I just recently received Tales of Graces F and figured I might as well get this since I'm getting Tales of Xillia whenever that comes out.

If you have the money to blow and know JP, maybe it's worth it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Went ahead and did it. Figured it won't get any cheaper anytime soon and knowing my luck it'll probably increase in price.

jiggle

Kagari said:
ToV PS3 still runs $75-$85 almost anywhere I've seen. This game will never drop in price :( Is it worth just biting the bullet and getting it?

i'd say so now that it's been picked up for fan translation

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So I recently started to play it again, and I was already an hour or two in... basically I'm on the wolf boss in the forest and can't pass. Help me before I break shit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Everybody tells me that boss was hard, but I honestly didn't have so much trouble with him. I dunno what to say.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Firestorm said:
I found him easy in the demo.
Main game was bullshit.
Hits my Yuri for 200-300 damage min.

Also, how the fuck do I get AI to just attack? As much as I love Rita, I WANT HER TO USE SPELLS NOT MELEE

Synless

shintoki said:

Also, how the fuck do I get AI to just attack? As much as I love Rita, I WANT HER TO USE SPELLS NOT MELEE
Shut off the spells you don't want to use and set her AI to cast spells.

Firestorm

shintoki said:

You could always slap the spell you want her to use on the right analog stick and spam it. I usually do that with AoE healing spells.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So how do I set skills on other parties for me to control.

2nd, how do I make AI not retard? I just found out they went through my entire supply of Gel during party mobs >_>

Am I always supposed to have a bit of trouble with bosses too? Large ones specifically, so far every small one has been easy, but the big ones. I seem to just eat a lot of blows too much.

Peff

shintoki said:
So how do I set skills on other parties for me to control.

In the Artes menu where you put the four Artes that character is going to use with each direction, you can go down and there are another four slots for the right stick. For these ones you can put more attacks of said character or Artes from the rest of the party.

2nd, how do I make AI not retard? I just found out they went through my entire supply of Gel during party mobs >_>

There is a "Gambit" menu of sorts where you can manipulate what the characters are allowed to do and set their general behaviour. Just have them be careful with items/overlimit/etc.

Am I always supposed to have a bit of trouble with bosses too? Large ones specifically, so far every small one has been easy, but the big ones. I seem to just eat a lot of blows too much.

Well, the beginning can be tough, especially Gattuso, but on Normal the game isn't that hard. Try using RT to move in 3D, it's quite broken. Don't attack until you let go of the button though, otherwise it's very slow and not comboable.

Feorax

Thought I might pick this up and give it a go.

Checked amazon and play.com, and new/used copies are between £90 and £100.

Fuck. That.

Paracelsus

Feorax said:

Fuck. That.

They are trying to rip you off. Not even very low-printed versions of ToS (like the PAL ITA one) are worth that much. Try ebay uk, you should be able to get a copy for a premium but more than 50£ sounds like overkill.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Feorax said:

Fuck. That.
Some times I'm happy I live in NA

Hugs his special edition he owned since launch

Anyways, I hit the 1/3 way mark. Got the achievement and finally hit the other major continent.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Feorax said:

Fuck. That.
Ouch. I would just import it, I think its region free. Game is $25 (~£16) on Amazon US.'

Edit: Wait, no, by proxy of Giant bomb someone on gaf says it isn't region free.

Top Bottom