• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Times' reviews. Halo2 > GTASA

Deg

Banned
On UK newsstands. Both were reviewed by different people.

sum ups:

Scores are out of Five

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
PS2, £39.99; ages 18+

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas isn’t a bad game, but it isn’t the stunner you might expect. While it is fun to pick up and play, it won’t have you glued to the console for hours on end as previous titles in the series did. Like Ali G, the GTA series is in danger of passing its sell-by date. Three stars

Halo 2
Xbox, £39.99; ages 16+

The sequel gives the concept a fresh lick of paint without moving it too far forward. There are new weapons and enemies, and the story line has been revamped, but the basic feel is the same: a first-person shooter that sets the pulse racing, with good graphics and plenty of atmosphere. Some of the flaky camera angles remain, and this genre is still better suited to a PC, but Halo 2 has a secret weapon tucked up its sleeve: a multiplayer option. The best moments come from the vastly improved team-play mode, which now works over the internet with Xbox Live. Whether you are playing the shoot-’em-all Slayer mode or the tactical “capture the flag” mission, competing as part of a unit against other gangs makes gaming more enjoyable. That alone is worth the upgrade, if you have broadband. Four stars

Kon Tiki

Banned
Some of the flaky camera angles remain, and this genre is still better suited to a PC, but Halo 2 has a secret weapon tucked up its sleeve: a multiplayer option.

When was MP ever secret?

Kabuki Waq said:
err how can you complain about the camera angles in an FPS?
:lol

thorns

Banned
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas isn’t a bad game, but it isn’t the stunner you might expect. While it is fun to pick up and play, it won’t have you glued to the console for hours on end as previous titles in the series did. Like Ali G, the GTA series is in danger of passing its sell-by date. Three stars
The sequel gives the concept a fresh lick of paint without moving it too far forward. There are new weapons and enemies, and the story line has been revamped, but the basic feel is the same: a first-person shooter that sets the pulse racing, with good graphics and plenty of atmosphere. Some of the flaky camera angles remain, and this genre is still better suited to a PC, but Halo 2 has a secret weapon tucked up its sleeve: a multiplayer option. The best moments come from the vastly improved team-play mode, which now works over the internet with Xbox Live. Whether you are playing the shoot-’em-all Slayer mode or the tactical “capture the flag” mission, competing as part of a unit against other gangs makes gaming more enjoyable. That alone is worth the upgrade, if you have broadband. Four stars

wtf? :lol :lol

LAMBO

it won’t have you glued to the console for hours on end as previous titles in the series did. Like Ali G, the GTA series is in danger of passing its sell-by date. Three stars
\

hah, GTA SA maybe the best game i've ever played. They've added so much, it's the jump between GTA3 and Vice times 10. I've put 16 hours in and i haven't even left the first island, and completed maybe 10 missions, because there's just so much stuff to do that's not main story related(and the main story missions are excelent). The other GTA games this gen got about 60 hours from me, i think this game will get 120 at least.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Who does the times reviews? I know one british newspaper started "outsourcing" their game reviews to editors of dedicated mags - if that was The Times, it'd be interesting ;)

The GTA score is so off the mark it's not funny..

Moose

I seriously don't think they played the right games, rofl....

lmao @ GTA won't keep you glued to the screen

WTF @ camera angles

Bog

Junior Ace
halo2.jpg

Moose

Some of the flaky camera angles remain, and this genre is still better suited to a PC, but Halo 2 has a secret weapon tucked up its sleeve: a multiplayer option.

I seriously almost shit myself reading that...

OH TALKING ASS[ES], yuo are silley!

Dez

Camera complaints are valid for Halo - recall that vehicles are controlled in third person.

Moose

I had no problem with them at all except when I was screwing around in a warthog doing donuts... and well, that was expected.

There was hardly anything wrong with them to complain about.

belgurdo

Banned
What game were they playing when they reviewed GTA? It takes about 30-40 to finish the story missions alone

And what's with the "this series is getting too popular it sucks" closer?

Ranger X

Hey guys, there's a review of Halo2 and GTASA on the back of my Corn Flakes cereal box!!! It's say that GTASA = 3/5 and Halo2 = 5/5!!!!!!!
Heh? What? you don't care??? errr... sorry! *kills himself in shame

Top Bottom