• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

polyh3dron said:
156u2au.jpg

Seagal using Forbidden Psychological Technology CONFIRMED.

I'm switching my prediction from Couture to Machida right now.

Also, even though I saw it actually happening on video, Seagal's head still looks photoshopped in this shot for some reason, lol.

I expect to see Handy with sleeves in a few months.

God, who gets their first tattoo at 48...

DKehoe

Random fan asks Dana if he can be the one to put the belt on the Shields/GSP winner, Dana says yes.

After waiting an hour for a chance to ask Dana White a question during a fan expo, Fitzgerald offered some good-natured criticism of the UFC president. He said White seems to have trouble putting the belt on the champion after a fight.

Fitzgerald asked if he could do the honour after the main event between Jake Shields and welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre of Montreal. White took a few seconds to ponder the offer before stunning Fitzgerald and the crowd with his answer.

“That's a tough request for me to get to bring you in and put the belt on, but (screw) it, I'll do it, yes,” White said as the hundreds of fans in attendance roared their approval.

White said he didn't have problems with the straps until the UFC started using a new beltmaker. They have since made adjustments that make them easier to snap on.

“They got Velcro for me, like a little kid when you tie your shoes,” White said. “Now I Velcro the belt on so it's a piece of cake now.”

White had one of his employees make arrangements so that Fitzgerald can come down to ringside from his field-level seat for the main event.

Fitzgerald said he isn't worried about his technique when the time comes to strap the belt on the champion. He's just thrilled that he'll be on centre stage in front of 55,000 fans.

“I'm sure I'll screw it up, I'm sure I'll be 10 times worse than (White),” Fitzgerald said with a laugh. “But that's not the point. The point is I'll be in the octagon for the biggest UFC event in history.”

Zeliard

Anderson Silva sat for a 45-minute interview with Helwani a few days ago where he gave nearly every answer in English. It was quite something to behold.

AiTM

Banned
Zeliard said:
Anderson Silva sat for a 45-minute interview with Helwani a few days ago where he gave nearly every answer in English. It was quite something to behold.

Sonnen was right?

DKehoe

AiTM said:
Sonnen was right?
A lot of people have said for a while now that Andersons english is a lot better than he lets on. To be fair to him if I was fairly competent in a foreign language I probably still wouldn't be confident in dealing with the media speaking it incase I said something wrong and accidently made a story out of it.

dream said:
What an amazingly fan-friendly president.

What an atrociously horrible idea.

Can't wait till Shields gets shanked live on PPV.
Yep Dana just jinxed GSP big time.. This fan is gonna come in the Octagon and make a fucking scene.

yacobod said:
and then the diaz bros will kill the guy and then cesar will set them loose on the audience like dogs.
And then Coker tweets an open mouth smiley face.

BTW, Cesar won't be there, he couldn't get a travel visa.

dream

yacobod said:
and then the diaz bros will kill the guy and then cesar will set them loose on the audience like dogs.

And GSP starts diving for low ankle picks on random rioters.

Norml

Zeliard said:

I have seen him speak English fine many times,I always just figured he didn't for the Brazilian fans.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I thought I heard somewhere that it was due to nervousness that he preferred to speak Portuguese.

Or was that Shogun?

Zeliard

Norml said:
I have seen him speak English fine many times,I always just figured he didn't for the Brazilian fans.

I've seen Anderson speaking English quite a few times before but never something like sitting down for nearly an hour and receiving and giving answers in English the entire time. The translator literally barely did anything. :p

It's not that I thought he was totally incapable of it or anything, but it's just interesting to see that he now seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on English in his public appearances. It's likely Soares has been pushing him to do so over time but Silva seems to be taking to it with vigor now.

Zeliard

dream said:
It's important to realize that Ed Soares isn't Anderson's translator. He's his PR rep.

Never said he was. The translator in the Helwani interview wasn't Soares if that's who you mean.

DKehoe said:
A lot of people have said for a while now that Andersons english is a lot better than he lets on. To be fair to him if I was fairly competent in a foreign language I probably still wouldn't be confident in dealing with the media speaking it incase I said something wrong and accidently made a story out of it.

Fifty

Ugh, I really hope that Dana doesn't keep that promise and let a kid put the belt around their waist.

Being in person at the Fan Expo, and seeing the Q&A's really made me hate Dana's fan-friendly (aka: being a pushover) style. Give them an inch and they want a mile..he gives them a mile and they want a continent.

I'd say well over 80% of the people asking "questions" were just people asking for stuff. He began the Q&A by saying he was out of tickets..so people asked for anything possible, and Dana, so afraid of looking like the bad guy tried to fulfill every request. I know my viewpoint is a controversial one, but I'm really sick of Dana being Santa Claus and not just a fight promoter.

The Joe Rogan/Goldberg Q&A was much better. They began the Q&A by rejecting about 2 or 3 requests for random shit (to sit between them during commentary, to go to Joe's sold out stand up gig..get the fuck outta here). There were actually funny stories and it was worth watching.

Oh well, just venting. Enjoy the next 24 hours!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright weigh in's are done so here are my picks:

GSP vs. Shields
- Not only is GSP going to finish the fight, he's going to submit Shields. Take that to the bank.

Hominick vs. Aldo
- Aldo by absolute and utter destruction. This is going to be *ugly*.

Machida vs. Couture
- I think Couture's days as a top level competitor are officially done, I don't really see anywhere he has the advantage here. Machida has always surprised people with his strength in the clinch.

Henderson vs. Bocek
- Bocek is just too damn good on the floor, once this hits the mat he lock in a submission and take the win.

Diaz vs. MacDonald
- MacDonald likes to get fights to the floor and he's at a pretty severe disadvantage there, Diaz via submission.

Matyushenko vs. Brills
- I suspect this is going to be a complete snoozefest, but Brills will take the split decision.

Pierson vs. Ellenberger
- Ellenberger is a handful for anybody at welterweight, I think he'll probably get a TKO win on this.

Nothing special in the rest of the fights.

ShaneB

Agreed with wondering WTF with Dana apparently letting someone in the cage to put on the belt on the winner. Great fan president sure, but yeah, this is a bit much.

The Rogan/Goldberg Q&A sounds like it was probably hilarious.

Man, what a day of entertaining stuff tomorrow, plenty of hockey, and then UFC nearly all evening and into the night.

Biff

GSP vs. Shields
- Sub, RNC

Hominick vs. Aldo
- TKO

Machida vs. Couture
- TKO

Henderson vs. Bocek
- Sub, triangle

Diaz vs. MacDonald
- UD

Pierson vs. Ellenberger
- UD

So freaking excited. Any other GAFers in attendance?!? Just printed my tickets :)

dream

So...Anderson once again called BJ Penn the best p4p fighter in the world. Who am I to argue with Anderson Silva?

parasight

BigJonsson said:
Weigh ins and the champ q and a was awesome

Then I went to Real Sports and met Diego Sanchez and Shogun!!

So stoked!

Pretty much the same way I spent my day. Maybe I saw you at one point? I'm sure we must've bumped into each other at Real Sports because there wasn't much people there. We were the first in line for Diego (poor guy's line was dwarfed by Shogun's). The line at the weigh-ins was unbelievably long for Fight Club members. We were there for 3 hours, at the front of the General Public line and were getting nervous as to whether we'd even get in. Luckily there was more than enough room in the Ricoh.

I lost my voice shouting for GSP as I was already sick prior to today and have a sore throat. Hopefully I'm fully healed for tomorrow's Fan Expo & the event itself.

EDIT: Also my voice made a guest appearance on Dana's Day 2 Vlog At about 3:27 he asks "Do you need tickets?" and I promptly responded "Yeah!"

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
So...Anderson once again called BJ Penn the best p4p fighter in the world. Who am I to argue with Anderson Silva?

obviously anderson isn't including athletic point-fighting wrestlers in the discussion, he is talking about fighters after all.

parasight said:
Pretty much the same way I spent my day. Maybe I saw you at one point? I'm sure we must've bumped into each other at Real Sports because there wasn't much people there. We were the first in line for Diego (poor guy's line was dwarfed by Shogun's). The line at the weigh-ins was unbelievably long for Fight Club members. We were there for 3 hours, at the front of the General Public line and were getting nervous as to whether we'd even get in. Luckily there was more than enough room in the Ricoh.

I lost my voice shouting for GSP as I was already sick prior to today and have a sore throat. Hopefully I'm fully healed for tomorrow's Fan Expo & the event itself.

EDIT: Also my voice made a guest appearance on Dana's Day 2 Vlog At about 3:27 he asks "Do you need tickets?" and I promptly responded "Yeah!"

I was at Real Sports at 5:40ish? I was told I'd be one of the last to see Diego but he was still there when I went through the line ago to see Shogun (About 6:40?)

I got to the fight club line at the weigh ins at 1:10 or so, strange that they didn't check anyones ID or anything as I went in *shrug*

Boogie

PlayStation Tree said:
I thought the fans were pretty lackluster at the weigh ins, especially compared with Montreal.

TO better bring the heat tomorrow for GSP

Ricoh wasn't a great venue for the weighins. Too spread out having three-quarters of the arena being opened, as opposed to packing everyone into just the end of the Bell Centre.

zeeaykay

Anyone know what the best place to stream the fights, legally? I have a bunch of friends here at school for the weekend but none of the bars are showing the fights and I can't get the PPV in my dorm.

rinse82

ChefRamsay said:
GSP vs. Shields
- Sub, RNC

Hominick vs. Aldo
- TKO

Machida vs. Couture
- TKO

Henderson vs. Bocek
- Sub, triangle

Diaz vs. MacDonald
- UD

Pierson vs. Ellenberger
- UD

So freaking excited. Any other GAFers in attendance?!? Just printed my tickets :)

I won a pair in Section 111 row 12 yesterday off TSN 1050, dead centre!

I had a pair in Section 114 off to the side and sold those, sweet upgrade!

rinse82

Boogie said:
Ricoh wasn't a great venue for the weighins. Too spread out having three-quarters of the arena being opened, as opposed to packing everyone into just the end of the Bell Centre.

It was quite convenient to just walk a block from the Fan Expo though.

yacobod said:
obviously anderson isn't including athletic point-fighting wrestlers in the discussion, he is talking about fighters after all.
You say this yet dodge my question about the fifth round of the second GSP/B.J. fight. I'll ask again what happened? I don't seem to remember the fifth round. Can you refresh my memory?

h_a_t

zeeaykay said:
Anyone know what the best place to stream the fights, legally? I have a bunch of friends here at school for the weekend but none of the bars are showing the fights and I can't get the PPV in my dorm.

Directly from UFC's site.
It's been solid from my few experiences with it, plus it streams the event at a much better quality than Comcast (NON-HD). I believe it's $45.

DKehoe

h_a_t said:
Directly from UFC's site.
It's been solid from my few experiences with it, plus it streams the event at a much better quality than Comcast (NON-HD). I believe it's $45.
Also I think you get stuff like being able to choose camera angle and audio feed (commentary, being able to hear the corners)

zeeaykay said:
As others have said, UFC.tv all the way. You can go there right now and check out a trial of how it'll look on your machine and the features of it by streaming round 1 of Edgar vs. Maynard 2.

DKehoe

polyh3dron said:
As others have said, UFC.tv all the way. You can go there right now and check out a trial of how it'll look on your machine and the features of it by streaming round 1 of Edgar vs. Maynard 2.
Whereabouts on the site is that? I've looked for it before but could never see it.

Biff

rinse82 said:
I won a pair in Section 111 row 12 yesterday off TSN 1050, dead centre!

I had a pair in Section 114 off to the side and sold those, sweet upgrade!
Awesome congrats!

Section 113 for me. Should be pretty close to the entrance lanes so maybe I can snag me a GSP high-five or at the least a security-guard smack :D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NATIONALIST!

I never really understood rooting for people from your country, unless it's something like the olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom