• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the same boat. I wasn't born in this country, but I came here as a young child and found myself somewhere I could belong and somewhere I could be proud of. I don't feel that way any more.

*Splinter

try visiting threads and forums dominated by Leave instead of Remain like it is here. You will hear the same things after some time no matter how hard you try to get your message across.

Crab, are you busy? We've got a job for you.

(Joking aside I know that this is true and hope you don't take the dog piling personally. On the other hand your opinion seems immune to fact, and you deserve some criticism for that I think.)

Zaph

That being said, I have to admit becoming increasingly exasperated by people who ostensibly oppose the current political situation threatening to bail-out rather than making a stand for what they believe in while nothing is yet set in stone.

If this was a political struggle, I'd agree with you. But no negotiations or deals will change the fact that almost half the voting public woke up one day and told the world their xenophobia is more important than the economic stability of the country.

That's a tough pill to swallow, especially if you're a minority. While no country is perfect, it's a once-in-a-lifetime event which make you question whether or not you're backing the right horse - especially if there are other opportunities available to you.

Xun

For many of us even staying and successfully opposing this would be bittersweet.

I've always been weirdly patriotic (compared to my other left leaning chums). Too much Daily Mail and civilization growing up I think. However, this result has utterly extinguished that in me. I've never felt so utterly ashamed and embarrassed to be British. I've gone from firmly believing in the union and our system of government, to now wishing Scotland well on their independence and thinking that parliament is an utter failure. I constantly feel like I'm second guessing "Did they vote for leave" when I meet people.

I honestly don't think I understand or know the country anymore. In 4 years we've gone from hosting the best Olympics in years, throwing open our doors to the world and demonstrating the value the UK has to offer, to a country where I have to apologize to my foreign friends for why they now feel afraid and unsure in the country they have lived in for decades.

It just doesn't feel like the country I loved, and was proud of, actually exists anymore. Even if we reverse this, 52% of people still voted for a campaign that was self-evidently both racist *and* moronically stupid.
I very much agree.

I was never patriotic as such, but I felt proud of many of our achievements over the years to feel a small sense of pride.

27ZPMo5.png

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ain-how-brexit-won-eu-explained-a7101676.html

Surprised sikhs are so high tbh.

Mr. Sam

It just doesn't feel like the country I loved, and was proud of, actually exists anymore. Even if we reverse this, 52% of people still voted for a campaign that was self-evidently both racist *and* moronically stupid.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Any sort of national pride I had was abruptly extinguished, to the point that I refused to watch England play Iceland in the Euros, and was genuinely happy when Iceland won.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not sure why people are still engaging with blackcrane.

How to people expect to have a reasonable discussion that doesn't go in circles, when one person lives in some fantasy where not even the barest concepts of reality penetrate?

I gave up. It's like playing tennis against a wall.

jem0208

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Any sort of national pride I had was abruptly extinguished, to the point that I refused to watch England play Iceland in the Euros, and was genuinely happy when Iceland won.

I'm so disappointed in Wales voting to leave that I'm only half happy we made it to the Euro semis...

Dougald

4 years ago I was riding my British (yes, we do still make something) motorcycle around Europe and generally marvelling at how our generation has been able to do so without wars or the Iron Curtain. I met a 90 year old bloke in france and though he didn't speak much english, you could tell he was so stoked that a couple of twenty-something British lads were able to tour around on their Triumph Bonnevilles. I came home to the London Olympics with a genuine sense of pride, not just as a Brit, but a European. I guess a lot can change in 4 years, perhaps we can salvage something and change thing for the positive in another 4.

I've since sold my British bike and bought an Italian one.

AntChum

I came home to the London Olympics with a genuine sense of pride, not just as a Brit, but a European. I guess a lot can change in 4 years, perhaps we can salvage something and change thing for the positive in another 4.
I honestly can't believe the 2012 Olympics took place in the same United Kingdom that is currently experiencing its death throes. It's unfathomable.

For many of us even staying and successfully opposing this would be bittersweet.

I've always been weirdly patriotic (compared to my other left leaning chums). Too much Daily Mail and civilization growing up I think. However, this result has utterly extinguished that in me. I've never felt so utterly ashamed and embarrassed to be British. I've gone from firmly believing in the union and our system of government, to now wishing Scotland well on their independence and thinking that parliament is an utter failure. I constantly feel like I'm second guessing "Did they vote for leave" when I meet people.

I honestly don't think I understand or know the country anymore. In 4 years we've gone from hosting the best Olympics in years, throwing open our doors to the world and demonstrating the value the UK has to offer, to a country where I have to apologize to my foreign friends for why they now feel afraid and unsure in the country they have lived in for decades.

I'm pretty much in agreement, although I've never been patriotic, partly because I don't see the point in it, and partly because Britain has never really given me anything to be particularly patriotic about.

I've felt less and less like I belong here for a while now but this vote has solidified that feeling and made it stronger than ever. At this point I think it goes beyond merely being ashamed to be British and actually feeling I'm not really British at all. I was born here and have lived here all my life but I feel like I'm at odds with British values on a fundamental level that goes far beyond disagreements. I don't even feel like I have a voice.

I know this is a bit melodramatic but that's how I really feel. I feel like an outsider in my own country and it's not a comfortable or reassuring feeling.

4 years ago I was riding my British (yes, we do still make something) motorcycle around Europe and generally marvelling at how our generation has been able to do so without wars or the Iron Curtain. I met a 90 year old bloke in france and though he didn't speak much english, you could tell he was so stoked that a couple of twenty-something British lads were able to tour around on their Triumph Bonnevilles. I came home to the London Olympics with a genuine sense of pride, not just as a Brit, but a European. I guess a lot can change in 4 years, perhaps we can salvage something and change thing for the positive in another 4.

I've since sold my British bike and bought an Italian one.
This is pretty overblown. This has always been present in the country.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm frankly a bit amazed that no MP so far has stood up to say that parliament is chosen to represent the people's interest, and not their wishes. And given that the vote is seriously harming their interest already, that they'll treat this as they would a referendum on abolishing taxes. I.e. thank you for your input, very interesting, we will legislate with this in mind, but sorry, clearly a bridge too far in terms of our long term interest.

I guess parties are too scared for voter repercussion, since that's all they care about nowadays, but really how large a part of the UK would let out a sigh of relief.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If this was a political struggle, I'd agree with you. But no negotiations or deals will change the fact that almost half the voting public woke up one day and told the world their xenophobia is more important than the economic stability of the country.

That's a tough pill to swallow, especially if you're a minority. While no country is perfect, it's a once-in-a-lifetime event which make you question whether or not you're backing the right horse - especially if there are other opportunities available to you.

That's unfair. I'm not trying to minimize the fact that xenophobia was an element, but a I'd wager perceived self-interest was a far bigger deal to most leave voters than racism, or even nationalism.

People were unhappy with the status quo and voted with their hearts for radical change. There was plenty of fear being pedalled on both sides, but I feel the difference-maker was fucking Boris who was playing up on a fuzzy ideal of nationalism in a way not dissimilar to the SNP did in Scotland.

Dougald

This is pretty overblown. This has always been present in the country.

What is "this?". If you are referring to the inward-looking viewpoint, then of course it was, and always will be in some respect. I was merely musing on how I feel about Europe and how easy it is to take the world as it is today for granted

That's unfair. I'm not trying to minimize the fact that xenophobia was an element, but a I'd wager perceived self-interest was a far bigger deal to most leave voters than racism, or even nationalism.

People were unhappy with the status quo and voted with their hearts for radical change. There was plenty of fear being pedalled on both sides, but I feel the difference-maker was fucking Boris who was playing up on a fuzzy ideal of nationalism in a way not dissimilar to the SNP did in Scotland.

Oh aye, without Johnson I don't think it'd have done so well. Not only was his name one people actually knew about, but prior to this he was popular and seen as genuinely down to earth by many. He gets stuck on a zipwire during the Olympics, and its seen as endearingly patriotic, not a bumbling embarrassment as it would be for others. Except of course, he has political ambitions just as much as anyone else, and it showed in this referendum.

I'm frankly a bit amazed that no MP so far has stood up to say that parliament is chosen to represent the people's interest, and not their wishes. And given that the vote is seriously harming their interest already, that they'll treat this as they would a referendum on abolishing taxes. I.e. thank you for your input, very interesting, we will legislate with this in mind, but sorry, clearly a bridge too far in terms of our long term interest.

I guess parties are too scared for voter repercussion, since that's all they care about nowadays, but really how large a part of the UK would let out a sigh of relief.

I think it can be summed up as...

Tories want out anyway.
Labour are in complete disarray.
UKIP caused this mess.
Lib Dems would do what you want but who listens to them since they broke the no Uni Fee promise.
Greens are even less likely to gain any influence, let alone power, than either Lib Dems or UKIP, so the fact they'll do what you want is immaterial.
SNP have basically said what you want, but they only represent Scotland.

Tyaren

Those who accuse me of trolling or believing lies / rubbish from the Leave campaign (despite me, for example, saying that I did not think much of the bus with the 350 mil figure on the side), try visiting threads and forums dominated by Leave instead of Remain like it is here. You will hear the same things after some time no matter how hard you try to get your message across.

Can you name me some? I'd really like to see a sensible discussion from their point of view. I only know their side from mostly quite hateful/xenophobic singular Facebook or Twitter posts and some uninformed/ignorant people on TV.

Pretty damned close to how i feel. Saddened, disappointed and just apathetic as i can't see things getting any better. In fact because of Brexit i might find out in a few months that i'm going to lose my job. Yay, Britain, woot.

Show some maturity, out of over 50 million people the tyranny of numbers ensures that a small number will be hateful arseholes. Brexit may have emboldened them, but it sure as hell didn't create these people.

In some respects I think long-term its a good thing that its flushed some of these Fascist rats out of hiding, because not only does it make it more likely they'll get their collars felt for holding hateful attitudes, but it reminds the overwhelming majority who the real enemy within really is.

What's that saying?

"A few bad apples are nothing to worry about and should be ignored."

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

An large majority of Sunderland voted Leave. Sunderland's economy is acutely dependant on the local Nissan factory and European investment. We aren't talking about uneducated farmers voting Leave out of ignorance, but a city that was literally saved by European trade telling the Union to go to hell. Because of inmigrants. Despite the fact that the city has little to very little inmigration and would collapse without the EU.

If Brexit happens, you can count with Nissan moving Sunderland's production elsewhere, one model at a time, probably to Spain. And taking with it the R&D department of Nissan Europe along (maybe) Nissan Design, which are also based in the UK. Nissan Sunderland employs around 27,000 people in the region, counting Nissan employees, providers and contractors. And God knows how many local businesses are dependant their income.

I can't even think of a better example of a city voting against its own interests out of prejudice and nationalism. They embody the Leave platform like no other town.

accel

Can you name me some? I'd really like to see a sensible discussion from their point of view. I only know their side from mostly quite hateful/xenophobic singular Facebook or Twitter posts and some uninformed/ignorant people on TV.

Try this one:

http://www.eureferendum.com/

That's a blog of the author of Flexcit, the author can be quite snarky and there *are* sometimes ignorant people in the comments, but it is neither hateful nor xenophobic (at least to the extent that I am familiar with it).

The modern SNP is fundamentally different from the Leave campaign. Their nationalism is civic and gets so much support because people are frustrated that Scotland keeps voting in progressive, redistributive politicians but it makes little difference unless the English tabloids decide they want to mix things up a bit, are frustrated that New Labour started using Scottish seats as safe havens for politicians who had nothing to do with their constituencies and didn't engage with them on massive issues like Iraq, and are frustrated that Westminster is a bad joke that's been heading for a crisis like this one for a long time. Don't get caught up on the word nationalism -- the SNP is one of the most progressive parties in the UK (at least since I moved here in 2010, can't speak about the 1970s or whatever era SNP you're talking about). They are more or less somewhere between the Greens and Kennedy-era Lib Dems on policy (and actually the Scottish Greens supported independence already the last time around and the Scottish Lib Dems only narrowly opposed it with many members campaigning for Yes anyway, so they're hardly alone).

I'm not a massive fan of the SNP and voted No in 2014 but comparing them to the absolute disgrace that was the Leave campaign is exactly the kind of attitude to Scottish politics that *actually* feeds their support, not some imagined hate of the English that could be compared to Farage's Third Reich propaganda (I mean, yeah, we "hate" the English and take the piss out of you when you lose to Iceland, but that's a fucking joke and not the reason half the country wants to break up the union FFS).

Anyway, as an EU citizen that's made Scotland my home I'm proud of the way the SNP has acted throughout this farce. I have no interest in contributing taxes to a government headed by Theresa May that uses my future as a bargaining chip so I'll campaign for and vote Yes if there's a second independence referendum. I'd rather live in a slightly poorer country where the head of the government gives speeches like this than in such a dystopian nightmare.

accel

If Brexit happens, you can count with Nissan moving Sunderland's production elsewhere, one model at a time, probably to Spain.

Why? (Not doubting, just want to understand the mechanic in this particular case.)

Added later: found that the Nissan chief executive said that, so perhaps that's why as far as the article is concerned, but nothing on the reason. The executive said something similar about moving the plant in 2002, tying its staying to the UK adopting the euro, after which the plant stayed - but that's a side point, I agree it can be different now, I just want to understand the reason better.

SteveWD40

I think it can be summed up as...

Tories want out anyway.
Labour are in complete disarray.
UKIP caused this mess.
Lib Dems would do what you want but who listens to them since they broke the no Uni Fee promise.
Greens are even less likely to gain any influence, let alone power, than either Lib Dems or UKIP, so the fact they'll do what you want is immaterial.
SNP have basically said what you want, but they only represent Scotland.

This is not true.

Some radical back-benchers want out, most want to look strong and stop losing votes to UKIP, as far as I can tell, lip service aside, most know it would be terrible for their paymasters in the City (their donor base).

I would love for that to happen as well, as it is I sense a loooong stall while they figure out the best way to sell us not leaving (GE, couldn't get the deal in place, Ref on new deals etc...)

Audioboxer

The modern SNP is fundamentally different from the Leave campaign. Their nationalism is civic and gets so much support because people are frustrated that Scotland keeps voting in progressive, redistributive politicians but it makes little difference unless the English tabloids decide they want to mix things up a bit, are frustrated that New Labour started using Scottish seats as safe havens for politicians who had nothing to do with their constituencies and didn't engage with them on massive issues like Iraq, and are frustrated that Westminster is a bad joke that's been heading for a crisis like this one for a long time. Don't get caught up on the word nationalism -- the SNP is one of the most progressive parties in the UK (at least since I moved here in 2010, can't speak about the 1970s or whatever era SNP you're talking about). They are more or less somewhere between the Greens and Kennedy-era Lib Dems on policy (and actually the Scottish Greens supported independence already the last time around and the Scottish Lib Dems only narrowly opposed it with many members campaigning for Yes anyway, so they're hardly alone).

I'm not a massive fan of the SNP and voted No in 2014 but comparing them to the absolute disgrace that was the Leave campaign is exactly the kind of attitude to Scottish politics that *actually* feeds their support, not some imagined hate of the English that could be compared to Farage's Third Reich propaganda (I mean, yeah, we "hate" the English and take the piss out of you when you lose to Iceland, but that's a fucking joke and not the reason half the country wants to break up the union FFS).

Anyway, as an EU citizen that's made Scotland my home I'm proud of the way the SNP has acted throughout this farce. I have no interest in contributing taxes to a government headed by Theresa May that uses my future as a bargaining chip so I'll campaign for and vote Yes if there's a second independence referendum. I'd rather live in a slightly poorer country where the head of the government gives speeches like this than in such a dystopian nightmare.

Yeah, great wee speech that.

Joni

Actually Liechtenstein is allowed quotas on the number of workers who can move there. However it is a microstate with a population of 37,000. Hardly precedent for the UK. Greenland is not an EEA member.
Of course, but it shows that even they had to accept part.

Luton, Cowley, Oxford, Ellesmere Port, Castle Bromwich, Swindon, Sunderland and Burnaston (not to count Ford parts manufacturing factories in Bridgend, Dagenham and Halewood) are set to take a beating, with Spain throwing most of the punches.
It is indeed a good place for motor companies to aim for. It should be quite cheap to build and expand existing factories.

That's a blog of the author of Flexcit, the author can be quite snarky and there *are* sometimes ignorant people in the comments, but it is neither hateful nor xenophobic (at least to the extent that I am familiar with it).
Claimed Hezbollah staged the Qana airstrike. Was a UKIP politician.

SomTervo

It's a question on how big is the compromise. I don't think it's all that big, a reasonable quota on the number of people who enter per year - why not.

The amount of people who enter per year is infinitesimally small in comparison with the overall population. It's fucking nothing. It's not a basis upon which to make any giant-scale decisions.

Kathian

Banned
http://app.ft.com/cms/s/88cd6ee4-42bd-11e6-9b66-0712b3873ae1.html

Hmm... 700k fewer job advertisements following the referendum result.

Seriously anyone who didn't basically expect the entire economy to stall is mad. Growth needs competition and competition needs investment. Worries me that these Tory leaders seem so removes from reality there seems to be no rush. No get up and go. Just softly softly calmly calmly.

I mean what are we honestly waiting for on Article 50? Just hit it. In chaos there is opportunity but in stillness there is fuck all.

Rich!

Yep. I am trying to find a better job as I know I will be the first to get made redundant at the job I have now. There is hardly anything apart from tele-sales.

Got your CV out there?

I got a new (office based payroll/hr) job this week, well paid and full time, and I didn't even apply for it. I had a recruitment agency phone me after finding my CV on indeed.co.uk. And I've actually got interviews set up with other recruitment agencies next week who wanted me to meet them to discuss roles, but I've had to turn down.

Beefy

Got your CV out there?

I got a new (office based payroll/hr) job this week, well paid and full time, and I didn't even apply for it. I had a recruitment agency phone me after finding my CV on indeed.co.uk. And I've actually got interviews set up with other recruitment agencies next week who wanted me to meet them to discuss roles, but I've had to turn down.

Yep, I have it on 5 sites. I'm pretty screwed, looking for a low pay unskilled job. Plus having mental health issues which have made me unable to work in the past. My job centre has even recommended that I go back on ESA.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I haven't seen passive aggressive well-wishing like this since the Scottish Referendum OT.

I was being absolutely sincere. I'm not a spiteful child.

This is a serious topic to me, and as such I'm doing my utmost to be civil about it.

Hey guys I heard there was going to be some shoe eating in this thread?

It's been a big disapointment. I would make a thread about it, but the "Member" below my name is still a big lie.

not so stealth beg

and no, I wouldn't make a thread about it ;)

ss1

Neo Member
All this talk about the low pound being great for exporters is really only true for those whose raw material input is not imported. For a lot of factories in the UK I suspect they have input supply chains that are based abroad.

All this talk about the low pound being great for exporters is really only true for those whose raw material input is not imported. For a lot of factories in the UK I suspect they have input supply chains that are based abroad.

It's only important if you have an industry left which can export something in the first place.
Even if exporting is cheaper now, there is nothing that could compensate the increase of import costs.

The argument didn't make sense for Greece, it doesn't make sense for the UK. Strong industry nations like Germany or Japan that are the kind of countries which would celebrate a weaker currency.

very true. what are the biggest exports that are produced in the UK and to which markets are they shipped to?

My GF who is working for a Korean car-part manufacturer told me today that the british branch of her company was 6mio Euros under expectation (55mio€). and thats not only because of exchange rate, but also the branch under performed in actual sold items. So demand seems to be down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom