• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Cm10d9VXYAAzsC7.jpg

Beefy

Well it's likely going to be okay really, we aren't talking about a major war here, plenty of countries even inside the EU live with poorer conditions than what the UK is likely to end up in, sure you will likely have less purchasing power, unemployment will likely increase, you might not be able to go to vacations as often or as easily and so on, but suspect that for a large part of the population (no idea where she sits) life will carry on without major difficulties, just less perks.

18477-6rv6cn.jpg

Micael

Well that image compares it to some of the best places in the EU, I mean France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden are hardly what I had in mind, especially when I would consider Sweden as being better than what UK is right now, let alone after they leave the EU.

Beefy

Yeah but Northern Europe is basically the richest set of countries in the world. He didn't say "northern Europe".

I was more highlighting it is going to effect far more people far worse then many think. Even though Northern Europe is richer then then rest of Europe we have 9 regions that are in the poorest 100 regions in Europe.

Micael

I was more highlighting it is going to effect far more people far worse then many think. Even though Northern Europe is richer then then rest of Europe we have 9 regions that are in the poorest 100 regions in Europe.

Sure I'm not saying it's not going to affect people, it's going to affect plenty of people, even in London, because London is going to be penetrated hard and fast with not even spit to ease it in, but if I had to bet, I would bet on the UK in general still going to end up better than some countries currently living in the EU right now.

Beefy

Sure I'm not saying it's not going to affect people, it's going to affect plenty of people, even in London, because London is going to be penetrated hard and fast with not even spit to ease it in, but if I had to bet, I would bet on the UK in general still going to end up better than some countries currently living in the EU right now.

I wouldn't. I know and have seen plenty of people living of two meals a week already. It is only going to affect them even more. Austerity has fucked this country up enough without leaving the EU as well. I can see us having a sharp rise in people starving to death, which should never be happening.

Bold One

She best hope Leadsom doesn't become PM then. Leadson thinks maternity leave for small businesses should be scrapped.

The other choice isn't all that great either.

This what she sent me, -

a post from her husband's lawyer friend from a couple weeks ago that has haunted me since >>>

I know many people are jubilant about Boris Johnson’s ignominious fall from grace, and in normal circumstances I’d be one of them, but these are far from normal times.

I think I need to say a few words about the terrible threat that Theresa May now represents to this country as a potential PM.

Anyone who has represented a client against the Secretary of State over the last six years will know what I’m talking about, and will have their own horror story about her, but here’s my account of one of my first encounters with Ms May, which will stay with me for the rest of my life...

About five years ago, when I was working for a charity in south-west London, a very emotionally disturbed young lady sought my assistance. She had spent her entire life savings to come from abroad to study in the UK on a student visa.

Her course was going very well, until the head of the department started coming onto her. Although she made it clear that she had no interest in forming a sexual relationship with this man, he wouldn’t take no for an answer. He raped her.

To secure her silence, he confirmed that if she told anyone what he had done to her, he would ensure that her student visa was revoked and she would be removed from the UK back to her home country.

After bullying and blackmailing her into submission, he continued to rape and sexually abuse her over the course of several months, forcing her into increasingly degrading and humiliating acts.

She suffered a complete nervous breakdown which resulted in her being hospitalised, when the extent of her psychological, not to mention physical, injuries became apparent. With immense courage, she went to the police and her abuser was convicted and sentenced to a lengthy term of imprisonment. She continued to receive regular psychotherapy and counselling, during which time her college guaranteed that she would be able to return to complete her course as soon as her doctor confirmed she was able.

What do you think Theresa May did when confronted with these facts?

Ms May revoked my client’s student visa because she was no longer regularly attending college, and took steps to remove her from the United Kingdom.

I’ll spare you the tedious legal details, but after a lengthy legal battle which took many months to resolve, my client’s leave to remain in the UK to complete her studies was reinstated. Shortly thereafter, Ms May publicly bemoaned how much of an inconvenience the European Convention of Human Rights is to this country, and how much she would like to see it scrapped. Predictably, the tabloid press lapped it up.

But the thing I will take with me from this case, is the High Court Judge’s observation that here you have a victim who was blackmailed into silence by the man who raped her on the basis of a threat that if she didn’t submit to the abuse she’d lose her student visa and be returned to her country, and yet here is a Secretary of State who took steps to ensure that the criminal’s threat was carried out.

“What kind of a message is Theresa May sending out to other would-be rapists and blackmailers?” the Judge enquired. What kind of a message indeed...

I’ll leave it to others to decide whether this “individual” is the sort of person they’d like to see running a country. She’s already made it abundantly clear to me whose interests she represents.

Micael

This what she sent me, -

Do you have links for the articles mentioned in that quote? To clarify not saying it isn't true, but if you have them, I would like to see it, because that is really quite vile.

I wouldn't. I know and have seen plenty of people living of two meals a week already. It is only going to affect them even more. Austerity has fucked this country up enough without leaving the EU as well.

Sure, and those people will definitely suffer, plenty of poor people will suffer, they are usually the ones that suffer the most with those kinds of things, but poverty is unfortunately a condition that exists in plenty of other places, and you just can't compare the position of the UK, with the likes of Greece, or hell even with my own country Portugal, which are countries with a far far worse economy, and will almost assuredly continue to have one after the UK leaves the EU, and while a country economy doesn't necessarily relate to the quality of life of the people living there, it is not a meaningless indicator.

I had a story told to me about a woman seeking asylum here who was all set to be sent back to her country, who got a stay just as they were about to put her on the plane back as the people who would be taking her back would have had to hang around for a few hours, and couldn't have their safety guaranteed.

Bold One

Do you have links for the articles mentioned in that quote? To clarify not saying it isn't true, but if you have them, I would like to see it, because that is really quite vile.

Its not an article, its the personal account of a case file worked by a friend of a friend who happens to be an immigration lawyer.

If you knew of Theresa May's beliefs and policies even as head of Home Office, this is not especially hard to believe.

Uzzy

Hull and the surrounding area in general was also an exception to this rule, so yes. gerg's explanation is the best, to my mind.

Plenty of Polish shops around here, very useful for getting lots of Pierogi and cheap beer. They've probably done more for the local economy than the Government has.

Micael

Its not an article, its the personal account of a case file worked by a friend of a friend who happens to be an immigration lawyer.

If you knew of Theresa May's beliefs and policies, this is not especially hard to believe.

I don't really have an hard time believing, just wanted more information especially because of this "Predictably, the tabloid press lapped it up.", I assumed there was potentially some links to some articles or something with her saying that, but I completely understand why you wouldn't have those, considering it was just an email sent to you.

BigAl1992

This what she sent me, -

There are very few things that shock me after all I've gone through in my life. That was one of them. At risk of what other horror stories this could throw up, did the lawyer friend give any hint as to how common stories such as this are, albeit with different circumstances for the visa holder in question?

StylusX

If you want to get your blood boiling go and read the politics forum on the digital spy boards. I think my favourite post so far was about this guy's 19 year old daughter voted Leave because of the staving children in Greece...

Only getting poorer without the EU. Talk about hitting yourself
I think, in the wake of Brexit, forgetting that the poor were lied to and exploited by politicians who sought only to strengthen their careers - though they subsequently lost them because it actually happened - and now expect a higher standard of life is quite sad. Those people in these counties, towns, cities will once again have worse lives because of politics. First, because of the focus on London and being super nice to corporations and rich people and now because they voted to leave a union that had offered them protections and funded some of their areas.

These people still do, however, and may always defend this leave campaign. One does wonder if citizenship in schools for kids should be replaced by a class on politics. It's a shame that people are treated as though they cannot understand it until A-Levels as many don't ever reach that stage.

I think, in the wake of Brexit, forgetting that the poor were lied to and exploited by politicians who sought only to strengthen their careers - though they subsequently lost them because it actually happened - and now expect a higher standard of life is quite sad. Those people in these counties, towns, cities will once again have worse lives because of politics. First, because of the focus on London and being super nice to corporations and rich people and now because they voted to leave a union that had offered them protections and funded some of their areas.

These people still do, however, and may always defend this leave campaign. One does wonder if citizenship in schools for kids should be replaced by a class on politics. It's a shame that people are treated as though they cannot understand it until A-Levels as many don't ever reach that stage.

It has been mentioned before that this isn't really the young lot that voted leave. So just wait two years and all the old folk will be dead. :D

Bold One

I don't really have an hard time believing, just wanted more information especially because of this "Predictably, the tabloid press lapped it up.", I assumed there was potentially some links to some articles or something with her saying that, but I completely understand why you wouldn't have those, considering it was just an email sent to you.

I am sure the case file somewhere can be dug up, however I am certain there are confidentiality and non-disclosure hurdles. I do hope it all come to light but I wouldn't bet on it.

There are very few things that shock me after all I've gone through in my life. That was one of them. At risk of what other horror stories this could throw up, did the lawyer friend give any hint as to how common stories such as this are, albeit with different circumstances for the visa holder in question?
Fairly common, Under May's stewardship at the Home Office saw huge changes to immigration reforms in hopes of curbing the numbers as the Tories promised.

I was seeing a girl who worked as UK Border agency, she told me of a case a gay woman who was fearful of returning to a country where she would imprisoned, she was force to present video "evidence" of her lesbian lifestyle to the court (yes, that means exactly what it means). Another one of May's measures.

mclem

I have to say, one thing that I picked up from school from history lessons actually strikes me as something that really ought to be taught at a more generalised level - healthy practice when trying to determine valid information when studying sources, and encouraging appropriate criticism and introspection. William Butler Taco was the mnemonic our teacher attached to it;

William - ask the W-questions about the source. Why, when, what, who.
Butler - consider any signs of Bias.
Ta - Take and Analyse data from the source
co - Compare with other sources to form a complete picture of the issue.

While that was from history lessons and so heavily in the concept of using historical documents in order to understand events from the past, I think that general rule of thumb fits very well with the modern internet, and inserting this sort of teaching into PSE lessons (er, if PSE lessons still exist? I've no idea) would probably be a healthy direction to educate our young.

BigAl1992

Austrian far-right politician and potential President changed his mind and is against Austria leaving the EU all of a sudden. He's trying to downplay his 180 but the reasons are obvious.

http://m.diepresse.com/home/politik/innenpolitik/5046096/index.do?xtor=CS1-15

I don't mean to sound crass, but it's no bloody wonder. The UK hasn't even begun to leave the EU, nor have we even seen the start of all this and already people are sounding off alarm bells already, coupled with the Pound having been on a nosedive since the referendum results came in. The referendum was really the acid test for people to see if leaving the EU would be both a popular idea and a logical idea. While it may have popular opinion at times, the logistics of it have now sprung to light and, while for other countries leaving the EU it may be easier for them to deal with renegotiations than the UK will probably end up with, it's clear now that a lot, lot more trouble than people on the far right realised and they don't want to be seen as the people who tanked their country's economy.

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/08/tory-party-refuses-to-shorten-leadership-contest

But a party spokesman said on Friday that the timetable had been set out and was “not going to change”. This means Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom – the two remaining candidates after three others were eliminated in two rounds of voting by MPs – have nine weeks to win a majority of support among the 150,000-strong party membership, who will have the final vote.

9 weeks of back-stabbing and competing rhetoric, jeez.

I have to say, one thing that I picked up from school from history lessons actually strikes me as something that really ought to be taught at a more generalised level - healthy practice when trying to determine valid information when studying sources, and encouraging appropriate criticism and introspection. William Butler Taco was the mnemonic our teacher attached to it;

William - ask the W-questions about the source. Why, when, what, who.
Butler - consider any signs of Bias.
Ta - Take and Analyse data from the source
co - Compare with other sources to form a complete picture of the issue.

While that was from history lessons and so heavily in the concept of using historical documents in order to understand events from the past, I think that general rule of thumb fits very well with the modern internet, and inserting this sort of teaching into PSE lessons (er, if PSE lessons still exist? I've no idea) would probably be a healthy direction to educate our young.
I remember something similar to that device as well although I'm not sure if PSE exists anymore either.

It really is just an education thing, the referendum was incredibly clear about that demographically. Something needs to be done to ensure that our population is informed correctly not just on the issues but on how bias works. I mean, I'm sure the Sun and Mail would hate this approach but that's probably a good thing.

It has been mentioned before that this isn't really the young lot that voted leave. So just wait two years and all the old folk will be dead. :D
True but by my estimation the old who voted to leave were lied to. They were told that their areas were poor and underfunded not because six years of a Tory government but because of other poor people from inside Europe. They were told that their changing towns and cities were not merely changed by immigration but by expansion of their cities. That the reason they didn't feel like everyone knew each other and were friends was not because suddenly there's lots of brown people or other white people with a different language was nothing to do with those groups. They were lied to and will probably never realise it. They've been manipulated into racism.

It's mindboggling that there is not a Single east German region among the worst ten. Whatever the UK tried to achieve in its worst regions must have failed completely.

I'm mystified that you would think that the London parliament would actually do anything to stimulate growth in the regions. All they do is argue all day about expansions to London airports.

I heard 50% of those in the 18-24 bracket didn't vote.

Plus 16 and 17 year olds being barred from voting altogether.

One of the many reasons why I want a general election asap is to give young people another chance to speak their mind on the issue of Brexit.

oti

Banned
So isn't there any way for the public to force a general election? It's crazy that only the Tories are allowed to vote on who is to invoke Art. 50.

daviyoung

Banned
I heard 50% of those in the 18-24 bracket didn't vote.

Plus 16 and 17 year olds being barred from voting altogether.

One of the many reasons why I want a general election asap is to give young people another chance to speak their mind on the issue of Brexit.

Tough shit. They had their chance.

I've heard a number in the lower age range say

"We didn't know there was a referendum"

However if bunch of pensioners without smartphones and the internet can manage to realise there's a referendum, register, get to the polling station and vote then I just call utter bullshizzle on there excuses.

Harsh - but they had there chance

Zafir

As I've said before, the government hasn't done a good enough job trying to get younger people interested in politics. It's a failure of the education system.

SNP, although the reasons for doing it were more tactical, they did a much better job at trying to stimulate interest in politics when it came to the indyref.

Beefy

Sure, and those people will definitely suffer, plenty of poor people will suffer, they are usually the ones that suffer the most with those kinds of things, but poverty is unfortunately a condition that exists in plenty of other places, and you just can't compare the position of the UK, with the likes of Greece, or hell even with my own country Portugal, which are countries with a far far worse economy, and will almost assuredly continue to have one after the UK leaves the EU, and while a country economy doesn't necessarily relate to the quality of life of the people living there, it is not a meaningless indicator.

When you have the UN saying the Austerity cuts are against human rights, you know things are bad in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom